Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

"We Need To Talk About Gerrard."

Read 153587 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 970 
      Re: "We Need To Talk About Gerrard."
      Reply #874: Aug 15, 2014 09:13:49 pm
      He is a tool but it doesn't seem worth the f**king about putting him on blank.
      You would need reminding.

You can continue reading his posts then.  There are a few people on here who's opinions I place no value in.  Not because they are different to my own, but because they have become so predictable that I don't even have to read their posts to know what they are banging on about.  The ignore button simply saves me the time of having to scroll past their occasionally long winded tirades.  But, to each their own....
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #875: Aug 15, 2014 09:54:14 pm
      I was just watching the slip from Gerrard against Chelsea and oh dear! it was worse than I thought and I don't know if other people picked up on it. I wondered why Johnson passed it to him with a player making a run forward. If you look at the exact time Johnson passes it there is a pass to Coutinho available that would have cut out 3 players immediatly. I can only think Johnson didn't see it or Gerrard asked for it... I am thinking Gerrard asked for it since he looked like he was moving close to Johnson. Gerrard should have caught the ball with his right foot but he actually moves his foot to do some kind of turn on the ball and gets no control on it whatsoever. All he had to do was not move his foot... once he realizes his error he quickly tries to sprit for the ball and falls over. At the end of the day it was messing about with the ball at the back whilst they was a great oppurtunity for Johnson to pick out a key pass that could have led to a goal at the other end.

I swear all your comments just annoy me.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #876: Aug 15, 2014 09:57:30 pm
      Gerrard is brilliant at the distribution side of his new found deep lying role. But what has impressed me so far (in preseason yes i know preseason) and towards the end of last season, he started to and has been anticipating opposition play quite well, his always been known for a last ditch tackle, but i think he is getting even better at it in his new position.

For me it is all about him conserving his energy effectively in a game well, E.G Pirlo walks around the pitch and just jogs when needed, Gerrard obviously because of who and how he is won't do the same but should carefully pay attention to when he needs upping his energy or not, for me we have enough going forward so we can afford him only busting a gut when its for defensive duties imo.

Furthermore i don't want to see him playing 90 minutes week in week out, for last couple of seasons there have been phases where Stevie has looked totally warn out and yes international retirement will help, but for me when a game is done an dusted we need to get him off and replace him with someone who will do the same job efficiently, maybe a Can or a Lucas.

Here's to our skipper having a brilliant season, and being in good shape and health when lifting that PL tittle  ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #877: Aug 16, 2014 09:37:54 am
      You can continue reading his posts then.  There are a few people on here who's opinions I place no value in.  Not because they are different to my own, but because they have become so predictable that I don't even have to read their posts to know what they are banging on about.  The ignore button simply saves me the time of having to scroll past their occasionally long winded tirades.  But, to each their own.... 

I believe I have an ignore facility in the grey matter which serves me well enough until the culprit really grates, there two of them on blank now whose hundreds of bullshit posts led to the blank button being used.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,984 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #878: Aug 16, 2014 01:51:42 pm
      I was just watching the slip from Gerrard against Chelsea and oh dear! it was worse than I thought and I don't know if other people picked up on it. I wondered why Johnson passed it to him with a player making a run forward. If you look at the exact time Johnson passes it there is a pass to Coutinho available that would have cut out 3 players immediatly. I can only think Johnson didn't see it or Gerrard asked for it... I am thinking Gerrard asked for it since he looked like he was moving close to Johnson. Gerrard should have caught the ball with his right foot but he actually moves his foot to do some kind of turn on the ball and gets no control on it whatsoever. All he had to do was not move his foot... once he realizes his error he quickly tries to sprit for the ball and falls over. At the end of the day it was messing about with the ball at the back whilst they was a great oppurtunity for Johnson to pick out a key pass that could have led to a goal at the other end.

What the F**k is wrong with you Ribu, you ran out of pants to sniff or what?

What is your point exactly in bringing up such a incident from last season, are you having a dig at Stevie or are you just being a total tw*t or both,
      Whatever fella an explanation would be welcome !

YNWA
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #879: Aug 16, 2014 05:14:05 pm
      I was just watching the slip from Gerrard against Chelsea and oh dear - I couldn't tell whether it was Sakho or Johnson that passed the ball to him! My eye sight is worse than I thought and I don't know if other people have picked up on it.

Fixed it for you ;D
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #880: Aug 16, 2014 05:26:27 pm
      You just have to wonder at some people ,more than a few have come unstuck in here ,,,and then you have rib oh dear.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #881: Aug 16, 2014 05:57:02 pm

Why the F**k would you want to bring this up?????.
      And get your bloody eyes tested because Johnson looks F**k all like sahko.what a bell.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #882: Aug 16, 2014 06:07:22 pm
      "We Need To Talk About Gerrard." September 25, 2013

If you ask me, we didn't then, and we don't now.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #883: Aug 16, 2014 11:15:12 pm
      "We Need To Talk About Gerrard." September 25, 2013

If you ask me, we didn't then, and we don't now.

Yeah gets a bit boring after a while going on about how boss he is!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #884: Aug 17, 2014 10:21:36 am
      Yeah gets a bit boring after a while going on about how boss he is!

That would be way too positive and some members heads would explode with their inability to be negative.

:action-smiley-035:
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #885: Aug 17, 2014 11:07:47 am
      if he bangs in a hatrick it wouldn't be enough for some.its quite bizzare really isn't it.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      Reply #886: Aug 17, 2014 03:42:40 pm
      Not as effective in his position when having a partner, think he got caught out way too often against Southampton as he pushed to go forward and left loads of space behind him.

I think with Lucas by his side he felt a lot more tempted to get up the field, when in fact he couldn't afford too. Whereas when his by himself in the DMF role he knows his place and his starting position is very deep, how it should be.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #887: Aug 17, 2014 03:47:22 pm
      Not sure why Rodgers thought he needed Lucas as a partner.

Just boxed our midfield up, usually the centre backs split, the full backs push up as wingers and the other midfielders push forward. But today none of that happened, the centre backs never split, the full backs didn't push up, and it made everything so narrow.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      Reply #888: Aug 17, 2014 04:06:01 pm

Just boxed our midfield up, usually the centre backs split, the full backs push up as wingers and the other midfielders push forward. But today none of that happened, the centre backs never split, the full backs didn't push up, and it made everything so narrow.

Yeah a lot of our play seemed force due to the narrowness. But i think he was cautious about the Southampton side so didn't want us getting too high up the pitch too early because maybe that was where we was vulnerable to them in previous games.

But i agree, i think Gerrard is better suited to playing that role alone and allowing the centerbacks to split and our fullbacks to bomb forward.
      Scottbot

• 9,627 posts | 2161 
      Reply #889: Aug 17, 2014 08:59:04 pm

It was bizarre and of course that is in many ways the same as last seasons home loss to Saints. We played four centre halves that day ad they were able to press high up the pitch in match the same way as they did today. Only difference being we got away with it today.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #890: Aug 19, 2014 07:32:46 am
      I wasn´t alone in fearing the worst about the Gerrard/Lucas axis before the game started, and so it proved. Course we´ve seen it before, both with the Lucas/Masherano axis and the Gerrard/Lucas one when it´s been played. Thanks to Roy Hodgson, we even got a sneak preview of the Gerrard/Henderson axis during the World cup, and that faired little better either.

The simple fact of the matter is that two holders leaves us looking a little one dimensional going forward. That´s fine if we want to do a Chelsea and sit back to play on the break, but we don´t (and frankly aren´t strong enough defensively to do it anyway in my view). I´d much rather we trusted Stevie to do the holding on his own, and got a bit braver with our selections alongside him. Out of our current personel that would mean the inclusion of Joe Allen for me all day long, with Emre Can as the viable alternative. Sure if Gerrard has to come off through tiredness we can use Lucas as a holder (dropping someone in there with him to help him out might be an idea too), but he and Gerrard is a complete non starter for me.   
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #891: Aug 19, 2014 05:41:09 pm
      Needs to knock those long passes on the head, starting to give away possession a bit too much.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #892: Aug 19, 2014 05:44:41 pm
      Needs to knock those long passes on the head, starting to give away possession a bit too much.

He always does early in the season, and then picks up.
      I'd be more worried about the short passes and badly weighted passes he played that didn't reach their intended recipient.
      OK, it wasn't a huge amount and we know he'll improve, but he didn't have a good game on Sunday.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #893: Aug 19, 2014 05:51:26 pm
      I wasn´t alone in fearing the worst about the Gerrard/Lucas axis before the game started, and so it proved. Course we´ve seen it before, both with the Lucas/Masherano axis and the Gerrard/Lucas one when it´s been played. Thanks to Roy Hodgson, we even got a sneak preview of the Gerrard/Henderson axis during the World cup, and that faired little better either.

The simple fact of the matter is that two holders leaves us looking a little one dimensional going forward. That´s fine if we want to do a Chelsea and sit back to play on the break, but we don´t (and frankly aren´t strong enough defensively to do it anyway in my view). I´d much rather we trusted Stevie to do the holding on his own, and got a bit braver with our selections alongside him. Out of our current personel that would mean the inclusion of Joe Allen for me all day long, with Emre Can as the viable alternative. Sure if Gerrard has to come off through tiredness we can use Lucas as a holder (dropping someone in there with him to help him out might be an idea too), but he and Gerrard is a complete non starter for me.   

Good post which I agree with.

I don't think you can take much from Gerrard/Henderson as a duo from the World Cup, especially under a team managed by Roy Hodgson.

I think Henderson is the man to play next to Gerrard if we play a 4231. Although I think we need to stop playing two defensive midfielders; play Gerrard and allow Henderson, Allen or Can (box to box players) to push up in a 433 or 442 diamond. Lucas and Gerrard were in each other's space and it was so easy for southampton to let them have the ball and do nothing with it. Needed one of them to make runs forward to give us another option.

Also think Gerrard's got to improve. I got so much stick when I mentioned it but I feel a large amount of our defensive frailties are because we have Gerrard as our defensive midfielder, instead of a recognized midfield holder there.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #894: Aug 19, 2014 05:52:09 pm
      I´d much rather we trusted Stevie to do the holding on his own, and got a bit braver with our selections alongside him.

That's what I'd like to see Mick and to be fair to Brendan we did see it quite a bit last season.

I think, as Swab I think mentioned, Brendan just wanted that extra body in there against Saints to counteract their three in midfield.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #895: Aug 23, 2014 09:37:06 am
      Think Gerrard should be used more sparingly, blocking other CMs getting more game time and kind of forcing the way we need to play!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #896: Aug 23, 2014 10:18:29 am
      Gerrard, Henderson and Can in midfield for me. Allen has never done enough in the time he's been here to cement a place in the side, so I'd give that opportunity to Can now.

Quick Reply