Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Liverpool hoping to break the bank to extend Suarez's contract

Read 14696 times
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Re: Liverpool hoping to break the bank to extend Suarez's contract
      Reply #115: Dec 20, 2013 04:48:27 pm
      Made up after reading this. Such a great move by FSG and the manager! Suarez could be a god at liverpool. Better yet, with him here for the next few seasons we really have a chance to get back to the summit.

All the haters of FSG really have to applaud them now. Their after removing a 100m potential transfer and paying a chunk of money out to keep the best. This is some move.

Next up, big signings and turn some turf and no1 will be able to slag them off.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #116: Dec 20, 2013 05:06:01 pm
      woohooo!!!  Way to GO!

with this and hopefully good results from the next three games leading into the new year.... this just might be one of the best christmas presents we have received from Liverpool for quite some time!
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #117: Dec 20, 2013 05:10:59 pm
      Suarez in Costco stocking up on the crates of Corona to celebrate!  :lmao:

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #118: Dec 20, 2013 05:20:01 pm
      Fantastic news, absolutely made up. Really need to get CL football now. Not just to keep Suarez but because he really does deserve to be playing Cl football and where better than with Liverpool.   
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #119: Dec 20, 2013 05:38:54 pm
      Fantastic news, absolutely made up. Really need to get CL football now. Not just to keep Suarez but because he really does deserve to be playing Cl football and where better than with Liverpool.   

Yep, exactly.

If we fail to get CL football I can understand why Suarez would want to leave.

Just made up he's signed a new deal, because it puts Liverpool in a much healthier position no matter what happens.

Well done to the owners for giving Suarez this deal, and I hope they can give further funds to allow us to seal CL football.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #120: Dec 20, 2013 05:40:43 pm
      been out for a xmas lunch with my workmates, came home 1/2 drunk and saw this GREAT LUIS news
       f*Ck!!  had 2/3 more at home to celebrate
         great news for LFC ,  Another hat-trick tomorrow to celebrate the signing wil be just GREAT
      Now if RM, ARS. and who ever think of making a bid for him they have to fork about 100M +1pound at least
      I dedicate this Amazing version of our song YNWA to all LFC supporters-players-club and owners
                                                        VVVV
       enjoy AndrĂ© Rieu - You'll Never Walk Alone
      YNWA

« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2013 06:06:25 pm by carragerrard »
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #121: Dec 20, 2013 05:43:08 pm
      I hope I'm not setting myself up for a fall by think he might stay now.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #122: Dec 20, 2013 05:52:16 pm
      YES !!!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #123: Dec 20, 2013 05:54:11 pm

I would hope it shows goodwill on both sides mate. It only actually extends his contract by one year (I think), but hopefully the intent to stay is now there.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 61 
      Reply #124: Dec 20, 2013 06:14:21 pm
      Really smart move by the owners,on current form he is the best player in the world,and i was suprised that he wanted to leave in the summer,he is unpredictable,but hopefully he will stay for many a year,but if he decides he wants to leave next summer,there won't be much change from 100 million,but if he has a league winners medal around his neck he just might want to stay :)
      DeanoLFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 259 posts | 18 
      Reply #125: Dec 20, 2013 06:19:16 pm
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #126: Dec 20, 2013 06:26:58 pm
       Well done to those concerned for securing Luis Suarez future is at Anfield.We now need to make sure we have the likes of Coutinho and our other young lads on secure contracts.I get a feeling Cardiff will pay the price for our happiness at all this good news.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #127: Dec 20, 2013 07:21:14 pm
      His future's only secured if we make the champions league next season because there's no way in hell FSG will have a player with that kind of wages on the books if we're not in Europe.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #128: Dec 20, 2013 07:28:57 pm
      His future's only secured if we make the champions league next season because there's no way in hell FSG will have a player with that kind of wages on the books if we're not in Europe.

Don't see why not, they've shaved the wage bill enough recently.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #129: Dec 20, 2013 07:41:24 pm

IMHO he won't stay, he'll have a contract that gives him a huge wedge from now until he leaves with a %age share of a sell on price with a clause of an automatic transfer price.

I'd like the lad to stay I really would but I really can't see it, he wants sunnier linguistic climbs and CL won't solve that, the benefit for us will be the that after a full season of promotional character building, charity work, press build up and being the PL top goalscorer his price will sky rocket and some shrewd signing/s will attempt to fill the void.

F**k the hype about him signing, I honestly feel that that's the realism of it.

Get the scouts out Brendan and try to replicate (or surpass if at all poss) the signing of the flawed genius that is Luis Suarez Esq.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #130: Dec 20, 2013 08:35:13 pm
      That's why Champions League footy is a must. Another season out and I'll check myself into Ashworth ozzy.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #131: Dec 21, 2013 05:50:15 am
      Get the F**k in Luis. Great news coming up to Chrimbo, now go out and score 5 against Cardiff to celebrate.

P.S  All u other Clubs can F**k off now. Go get Van Pussy.  :D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5033 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #132: Dec 21, 2013 06:36:22 am
      IMHO he won't stay, he'll have a contract that gives him a huge wedge from now until he leaves with a %age share of a sell on price with a clause of an automatic transfer price.

I'd like the lad to stay I really would but I really can't see it, he wants sunnier linguistic climbs and CL won't solve that, the benefit for us will be the that after a full season of promotional character building, charity work, press build up and being the PL top goalscorer his price will sky rocket and some shrewd signing/s will attempt to fill the void.

Get the scouts out Brendan and try to replicate (or surpass if at all poss) the signing of the flawed genius that is Luis Suarez Esq.

Sorry fella, but I do believe you talking out of your chocolate starfish,

Have a nice day,

YNWA
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #133: Dec 21, 2013 09:20:44 am
      Show him we have the ambition to match his and I think he will stay. Show him that challenging for top 4 is the limit of our ambitions and I think he will look for a move come the summer.

I was reading in one of the rags that Suarez buy out clause has been negotiated DOWN from ÂŁ40million if we fail to achieve CL this season.   IF that is true, it makes even more sense for FSG to invest in the winter transfer window.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #134: Dec 21, 2013 09:42:01 am
      No way his transfer fee has been negotiated down as there was no transfer buy out price in the first place
      If there was as he thought he would have already gone.

Great news on the new contract as it strengthen's our hand when he does go.
      As much as i'd like to see him stay for the full term of his deal i'd be amazed if he does..

Just enjoy his brilliance while we can & get top dollar when he goes
      So well done to Brendan & FSG for getting the deal done & dusted..
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #135: Dec 21, 2013 10:01:22 am
      Luis Suarez has become the Premier League’s third highest-paid player with a new four-year deal which will deliver him a bonus if the club achieve a top-four finish and further add-ons based on the number of goals he scores this season.

The deal is believed to increase Suarez’s salary from ÂŁ120,000 a week to around ÂŁ200,000 – making him the highest-paid player in the club’s history and trailing only the Manchester United pair of Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie, who command ÂŁ250,000 a week each. Manchester City’s Yaya TourĂ© commands slightly less than ÂŁ200,000 basic, with add-ons potentially taking him to ÂŁ240,000.

The four-and-a-half-year deal will bring Suarez no bonus for winning the Premier League this season. But it is thought to include the exit clause that the 26-year-old’s representatives were frustrated to find missing this summer, when they discovered that the fine print of the player’s contract obligated Liverpool only to inform Suarez if a Champions League club bid for him but not to let him leave for that club.

The size of bid which would now force Liverpool to sell is not known – nor can it be made public by any party to the contract, as that would hand a potential bidder knowledge of how much they have to bid. Liverpool’s owners were furious this summer when the £40m figure in the previous contract was disclosed to Arsenal, allowing them to bid that sum plus £1.

The Professional Footballers’ Association encouraged Liverpool to introduce a concrete get-out clause at the earliest available opportunity, when it arbitrated in the dispute between player and club this summer. A contract at this time is in line with the hopes they were privately expressing back then.

The new deal is a tribute to Brendan Rodgers’ powers of man-management. Prouder and less flexible managers would have struggled to heap such praise and encouragement on Suarez, who effectively accused him of reneging on a promise by refusing to let him leave this summer.

But the strong bargaining position occupied by Suarez’s representatives – who were negotiating this week for the most prolific striker in Europe and a player Liverpool are desperate not to lose in January – will have allowed them to drive a hard bargain on the level of the get-out clause. They may well have been able to force the figure down from the previous ÂŁ40m while  securing the player his 67 per cent pay rise. Any get-out figure materially lower than ÂŁ40m would effectively mean that Suarez is destined to leave this summer, if Liverpool fail to qualify for next season’s Champions League.

The deal reflects far more than a mercenary mind-set in the player, however. He and his representatives see what substantial strides Liverpool have taken this year under Rodgers. They feel that Liverpool are moving in the right direction. And he is a player for whom career achievements do count a great deal. With any prospect of Suarez leaving now on hold until the summer, the challenge for Rodgers will be to deliver that top-four finish. The principal owner, John W Henry, said  in the summer that “it would be very disappointing” if Liverpool did not achieve that. When it was put to him that he sounded confident on the matter he replied: “I know a little more than I did two years ago.” There is now a lot more hinging on that finish than meeting the proprietor’s expectations.

The striker, who has scored 17 goals in 11 appearances this season and is in the side to face Cardiff today, said: “I am delighted to have agreed a new deal and have my future secured for the long term. We have some great players and the team is improving. I believe I can achieve the ambitions of winning trophies and playing at the very highest level with Liverpool. My aim is to help get us there as quickly as possible.

“The backing I have received from the fans has influenced my decision,” he added. “I am so proud to represent them and do my best for them every time I pull on the shirt. We have a special relationship; they have love for me and in return I love them.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/bonuses-for-goals-and-top-four-finish-as-luiz-suarez-joins-premier-leagues-top-three-earners-9019094.html

As I said IF
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #136: Dec 21, 2013 10:16:12 am

That's a definite possibility and one that's crossed my mind as well. Put in some stellar performances, all with a 100% pay rise, shine in the world cup, and wait for the so called big Spanish teams to come knocking. Not saying that's the case, just saying I'm aware it might be the case.

When I see players like Mascherano, Alonso, Coutinho, Suarez etc, training in the freezing snow in Melwood, I can imagine them all thinking 'WTF is this white stuff?' :D

Thing is though, if Luis is winning ECL games on nights at Anfield similar to the great nights we've had, that would convince anyone to stay with us
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #137: Dec 22, 2013 09:18:04 am
      Sorry just to chop out this part.
      I think it depends on the player saying "F**k it, just agree the deal." to his agent as well.

What I mean is, it's not just clubs who haggle, and I suspect that many a deal has been fu**ed up by players and/or agents.

Aye, you're right Swab. In my haste to praise John Doubleya and the club I forgot to mention the main man; Luis Suarez.

Big respect to him for making it all possible, not faffing about and doing the deal quickly.  :gt-happyup:

Quick Reply