Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Pre-Match: Liverpool V Arsenal 12;45 Sat 8 Feb 2014

Read 17025 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Liverpool Vs Arsenal 12;45 Saturday the 8th February 2014
      Reply #115: Feb 06, 2014 11:38:29 pm
      I'm not sure I know we won against them I'm the CL 2008 but who knows.
      I know for a fact our recent record against them is horrendous
      yea we did. i was looking here. http://www.lfconline.com/head_to_head/arsenal/vs/liverpool/index.shtml
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #116: Feb 06, 2014 11:45:05 pm
      Our team is not built to defend. I don't think we can hold out a game like Rafa's team used to, not with Aly in the team anyway. I mean he probably has more skill than Traore but at least Djimi made it hard to get past him. This just means we have to match their goals and get one more and at least make it hard. I like the way Dortmund play. It requires plenty of running though and getting the ball forward so quickly without long raking passes is technically difficult. We need Coutinho to play but that means one of Stevie, Allen or Hendo misses out....Allen!. I don't know if this means we will be light in midfield if
      Sterling and Suarez and Sturridge help out. Maybe we should play without a striker on this occasion.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #117: Feb 06, 2014 11:54:38 pm
      Our team is not built to defend. I don't think we can hold out a game like Rafa's team used to, not with Aly in the team anyway. I mean he probably has more skill than Traore but at least Djimi made it hard to get past him. This just means we have to match their goals and get one more and at least make it hard. I like the way Dortmund play. It requires plenty of running though and getting the ball forward so quickly without long raking passes is technically difficult. We need Coutinho to play but that means one of Stevie, Allen or Hendo misses out....Allen!. I don't know if this means we will be light in midfield if
      Sterling and Suarez and Sturridge help out. Maybe we should play without a striker on this occasion.

???
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #118: Feb 06, 2014 11:55:38 pm
      I'm not sure I know we won against them I'm the CL 2008 but who knows.
      I know for a fact our recent record against them is horrendous

True that, but our last victory in the league was that fine hattrick wasn't it??

Also - I'd drop Sturridge for this one. Put our focus back on Suarez with Sterling and Coutinho either side of him in a 4-3-3. Why Sturridge? I've got to be honest here and say that I think he slightly upsets the balance of our team, the all round fluidity of the team. That is no fault of his own but I feel that there is more variety and greater exploitation of Suarez's unbelievable talent with Coutinho and Sterling either side of him. I think Coutinho creates more throughout the whole match and by focusing purely on Suarez, there is no dilemma of who is the goal scorer. Of course, with Coutinho on the left side of an attacking three, he needs someone reliable behind him. With all due respects to Cissokho, reliable he is not. But he's fine with Flanagan! But then again Flanagan is occupying a right back spot that is not being threatened. Ideally, despite the concerns, I'd have Kelly in right back and Jon back at left back as was the situation pre Christmas. Of course, Joe Allen comes in to the midfield and there's a lot of emphasis on Allen and Hendo performing. Sadly however, on recent form, Henderson isn't exactly promising stellar performances, but then again neither him OR Allen were threatening such performances before that Tottenham match. But I think there is no option. We need to strengthen the midfield and regain some of the possession we've lost since Lucas got injured. I can only put my faith in Henderson showing the form he did only a month or so ago. It will be a tough job and Brendan's got a tough job up against a healthy looking Arsenal side.

But strange as it seems, I'd take a punt on benching Sturridge. For me it's better getting the best out of Suarez alone and making him the sole focal point, than getting the best out of the Sturridge/Suarez combo. With partnerships like that there's always a degree of compromise from both players and I feel that for this game and up against a formidable pair of Mertesacker and Koscielny, we don't need compromise. We need full out individual genius and with Suarez we have that. If all our players can play to their top game then we CAN get the result we want.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #119: Feb 07, 2014 12:42:15 am
      True that, but our last victory in the league was that fine hattrick wasn't it??

Also - I'd drop Sturridge for this one. Put our focus back on Suarez with Sterling and Coutinho either side of him in a 4-3-3. Why Sturridge? I've got to be honest here and say that I think he slightly upsets the balance of our team, the all round fluidity of the team. That is no fault of his own but I feel that there is more variety and greater exploitation of Suarez's unbelievable talent with Coutinho and Sterling either side of him. I think Coutinho creates more throughout the whole match and by focusing purely on Suarez, there is no dilemma of who is the goal scorer. Of course, with Coutinho on the left side of an attacking three, he needs someone reliable behind him. With all due respects to Cissokho, reliable he is not. But he's fine with Flanagan! But then again Flanagan is occupying a right back spot that is not being threatened. Ideally, despite the concerns, I'd have Kelly in right back and Jon back at left back as was the situation pre Christmas. Of course, Joe Allen comes in to the midfield and there's a lot of emphasis on Allen and Hendo performing. Sadly however, on recent form, Henderson isn't exactly promising stellar performances, but then again neither him OR Allen were threatening such performances before that Tottenham match. But I think there is no option. We need to strengthen the midfield and regain some of the possession we've lost since Lucas got injured. I can only put my faith in Henderson showing the form he did only a month or so ago. It will be a tough job and Brendan's got a tough job up against a healthy looking Arsenal side.

But strange as it seems, I'd take a punt on benching Sturridge. For me it's better getting the best out of Suarez alone and making him the sole focal point, than getting the best out of the Sturridge/Suarez combo. With partnerships like that there's always a degree of compromise from both players and I feel that for this game and up against a formidable pair of Mertesacker and Koscielny, we don't need compromise. We need full out individual genius and with Suarez we have that. If all our players can play to their top game then we CAN get the result we want.

To be honest it would be dumb of us to drop Sturridge. Here is my view on it. First off him and Suarez have been playing great together and providing each other with assists and goals. The pressure is not as rigorous as being the sole focal of attack in which your theory Suarez would have a lot more pressure. Second, if Sturridge is benched Suarez is our main goal threat. While Coutinho and Sterling will be there, they really haven't been scoring. The problem with only one goal threat is the fact that defenses know who to put two and three guys on. If Sturridge is out they can afford to do that. With Sturridge in it will really open up space for both of them because defenses can not afford to put two or three guy on both of them. Last season I think we struggled a little in the scoring department (pre-january) because teams knew Suarez was our focal point of the attack and they figured out how to defend it quickly. Last what will it show the players who have been playing if Rodgers drops an in-form player (who has been all season) who provides the team with goals and assists every match against Arsenal? My guess is not very good.

I also think Henderson has been great nearly all season. His work ethic is incredible he works his ass off every single game. Second he has been running around a lot lately, trying to get forward in the attack and dropping deep to help defend and I applaud his work ethic and stamina. I have also seen some brilliance in him with his passing. Love how he is developing and hopefully it continues. While I agree the midfield is our weakest point, we have Allen back and hopefully that will help.

As for our formation on saturday. I would go with a 4-2-3-1. Henderson and Gerrard as DM's with Coutinho behind the striker. Sterling on the right and Sturridge and Suarez interchanging between striker and on the left. To me this provides great cover in the center with the 2 DM's and gives us a formidable attack with Henderson and Gerrard back to provide an option to keep possesion or to have a long shot of their own. Also provides good cover on the counter attack.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #120: Feb 07, 2014 01:05:30 am
      To be honest it would be dumb of us to drop Sturridge. Here is my view on it. First off him and Suarez have been playing great together and providing each other with assists and goals. The pressure is not as rigorous as being the sole focal of attack in which your theory Suarez would have a lot more pressure. Second, if Sturridge is benched Suarez is our main goal threat. While Coutinho and Sterling will be there, they really haven't been scoring. The problem with only one goal threat is the fact that defenses know who to put two and three guys on. If Sturridge is out they can afford to do that. With Sturridge in it will really open up space for both of them because defenses can not afford to put two or three guy on both of them. Last season I think we struggled a little in the scoring department (pre-january) because teams knew Suarez was our focal point of the attack and they figured out how to defend it quickly. Last what will it show the players who have been playing if Rodgers drops an in-form player (who has been all season) who provides the team with goals and assists every match against Arsenal? My guess is not very good.

I also think Henderson has been great nearly all season. His work ethic is incredible he works his ass off every single game. Second he has been running around a lot lately, trying to get forward in the attack and dropping deep to help defend and I applaud his work ethic and stamina. I have also seen some brilliance in him with his passing. Love how he is developing and hopefully it continues. While I agree the midfield is our weakest point, we have Allen back and hopefully that will help.

As for our formation on saturday. I would go with a 4-2-3-1. Henderson and Gerrard as DM's with Coutinho behind the striker. Sterling on the right and Sturridge and Suarez interchanging between striker and on the left. To me this provides great cover in the center with the 2 DM's and gives us a formidable attack with Henderson and Gerrard back to provide an option to keep possesion or to have a long shot of their own. Also provides good cover on the counter attack.

I'd say Sturridge and Coutinho offer a bit more flexibility and fluidity meaning it's easier to push into the Arsenal third much easier. Of course I know Brendan's not going to drop Sturridge on current form, but a dumb suggestion? Is it hell. Pre Christmas showed it worked well. And as regards to Henderson, the simple fact that he 'works his socks off' isn't really good enough when he's not offering the incentives going forward. Gerrard can't do that playing behind him. He's simply got to stand up and do the job he is meant to do and indeed WAS doing before Christmas.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #121: Feb 07, 2014 02:24:10 am
      I'd say Sturridge and Coutinho offer a bit more flexibility and fluidity meaning it's easier to push into the Arsenal third much easier. Of course I know Brendan's not going to drop Sturridge on current form, but a dumb suggestion? Is it hell. Pre Christmas showed it worked well. And as regards to Henderson, the simple fact that he 'works his socks off' isn't really good enough when he's not offering the incentives going forward. Gerrard can't do that playing behind him. He's simply got to stand up and do the job he is meant to do and indeed WAS doing before Christmas.

I was a bit harsh, dumb was a bad word to use, my apologies. In your first sentence do you mean Suarez? And no can't see dropping Sturridge in any way shape, or form sorry I just do not see the point on why we would do that. Even after your points, i just do not see the value in dropping him against Arsenal. For me you want as many goal threats as possible because Arsenal have a defense that is pretty stellar. As for Henderson you need a workhorse in the midfield. Henderson provides that, closing down people very quickly and helping out any way he can. I have seen him provide in the attack. Granted he is probably one of our weaker attackers when you look at the side. But he has made some great eye-opening passes that have led to chances and he keeps possession well. I have even seen him make a few good runs. His offense has been underrated this season. He does a lot more than people tend to see. And I know your saying lately and not all season but I was just trying to state my point. As of late he may have dropped of a little but I still see value in him to start. While I agree the midfield is a place that needs upgrading in the summer, for now Henderson has not put a foot wrong for me so far to not start.

Regardless I do not care what Brendan does with the starting XI as long as we take three points from them!  :ernaehrung004:
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #122: Feb 07, 2014 05:54:08 am
      Arsenal is a good side but certainly can be beaten. Let's not over respect them and match them in every department. Wenger is playing an intelligent game. Knowing too well he has a slow defence, his tactics has always been to get the ball far away from the defence.

As soon as a ground ball gets into their box, their defence will be at sixes and sevens. Sterling must try as far as possible to cross the ball on the ground across their goal line for a tap in by SAS, their defence will struggle.

Let's not float the crosses into their box, their defence is good in the air.
      « Last Edit: Feb 07, 2014 08:13:29 am by redkop63 »
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #123: Feb 07, 2014 06:41:55 am

Mislim da cemo izgubiti ali uvijek kada mislim da cemo izgubiti pobjedimo :D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,985 posts | 5044 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #124: Feb 07, 2014 08:09:16 am

Thaw eht kcuf ay no tuoba ?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,730 posts | 7164 
      Reply #125: Feb 07, 2014 09:30:40 am
      When we get the team up for 38 games just like we do for UTD,Chelsea,Arsenal etc we will be champions again because that's what it takes.I feel more comfortable playing Arsenal than ~I did Villa.
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #126: Feb 07, 2014 10:26:00 am

He said last time we won was seven years ago and I replied that I think We'll loose but when I think We'll loose We usually win :)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #127: Feb 07, 2014 10:35:17 am
      I hope Sakho is back for this one.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #128: Feb 07, 2014 10:59:23 am
      I think the most important issue will be our mid field. Will Gerrard get slightly further forward where he can inflict his great passing ability on them ? Will Henderson run around chasing shadows like he did at the emirates, or will he play a more structured role. Will Allen get any penetrating passes going or will it be all sideways and backwards. As for the defence, will Sissokho be anywhere near Anfield. A lot of questions being asked, but not many answers. If we cam perform like we did against the spuds and the bitters, arguably our best two performances this season,we can beat anyone, but which Liverpool side will turn up this time ? and will Brendan get his tactics right this week. Have to say he does more often than not, but has been found wanting on a few occasions.
      No disgrace to lose against Arsenal, but we don't want to at this time due to our position, and that of the following pack.
      Attitude, Belief, Tactics, Tempo, 100% hard graft from everyone, and of course the crowd support. They will all have to be spot on, and theres no reason why they shouldn't be. The occasion should determine that, so I'm still going for 2 - 0 to the red men, as long as the fine tuning is spot on. Stirling and Suarez.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #129: Feb 07, 2014 11:02:07 am

We don't want any trouble in here. Not in any language.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #130: Feb 07, 2014 12:03:12 pm

Suarez and Sturridge playing together gives Arsenal's defenders more to think about and could alievate some of the pressure from our midfield.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #131: Feb 07, 2014 12:06:43 pm
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #132: Feb 07, 2014 12:46:10 pm

I see you're fluent! ;)

Quality film, that!

On the match, have to agree with most that I'm nervous about this one.

Obviously we can beat anyone on our day, I'm certainly not giving up on the three points before a ball has been kicked, but we've had such a recent bad record against them, it hardly inspires confidence.

Add to that, it's really a very crucial game with regards to our league position, win and we're clawing back towards the leading three, lose and we fall right back into the teams squabbling to catch us.

Just hope to see our lads "clicking", when we slot the ball around and make it look easy, and less of the struggling to get into their half and hoofing bollocks!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #133: Feb 07, 2014 12:57:38 pm
      I see you're fluent! ;)

Quality film, that!

On the match, have to agree with most that I'm nervous about this one.

Obviously we can beat anyone on our day, I'm certainly not giving up on the three points before a ball has been kicked, but we've had such a recent bad record against them, it hardly inspires confidence.

Add to that, it's really a very crucial game with regards to our league position, win and we're clawing back towards the leading three, lose and we fall right back into the teams squabbling to catch us.

Just hope to see our lads "clicking", when we slot the ball around and make it look easy, and less of the struggling to get into their half and hoofing bollocks!

Spot on that Ayrton.

At lot has been made of our defence and the injuries we've suffered having an impact on the goals we've conceded, but not so much on the lack of a ball carrier. I think missing Enrique/Johnson and Agger, all of whom are comfortable receiving possession, puts a real strain on the DM to give the defenders that option so that we don't simply revert to hoofball.

The tactics for Wenger will be simple, swamp all over Gerrard, give him no time and the rest of the midfield will not be able to carry the fight to Arsenal. Unfortunately I think these tactics will work very well against us and as such we'll have no choice but to play on the counter and drop Henderson/Coutinho deeper.

Sterling could well prove to be our most vital player tomorrow from how I see it panning out, but I must admit I share the same nerves as you. Will be a cracking game and really looking forward to it.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #134: Feb 07, 2014 01:04:36 pm
      The tactics for Wenger will be simple, swamp all over Gerrard, give him no time and the rest of the midfield will not be able to carry the fight to Arsenal. Unfortunately I think these tactics will work very well against us and as such we'll have no choice but to play on the counter and drop Henderson/Coutinho deeper.

Maybe Brendan will try something different?

Not sure what, but if we line up like in recent matches (thin in midfield) then we'll more than likely take a real buggering.

Still, since it seems "obvious" to us that Wenger will try this, maybe we'll second guess him and surprise everyone.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,730 posts | 3946 
      Reply #135: Feb 07, 2014 01:38:00 pm
      One word: STERLING
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #136: Feb 07, 2014 02:16:07 pm
      We should not be losing to Arsenal at Anfield, no way! It'd be an unacceptable result in my opinion, regardless of how well Arsenal have played this season. I fully expect us to get a point or three against them. If Arsenal do manage the double over us, it only highlights the difference in strength between the two clubs.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #137: Feb 07, 2014 02:45:28 pm
      Winning the midfield battle here is gonna be vital. They will have at least 4 in midfield, we have to have at least 3 in there. Allen, Gerrard, Hendo for me in midfield with SSS up front.

I would take a draw in this tbh. Avoiding defeat is a must. 1 point here and we are better off than last season. Everton-Spurs play each other there so either 1 or both teams will drop points there too.

Quick Reply