Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Pre-Match: Southampton V Liverpool - March 1st 2014 (5:30PM)

Read 18685 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Pre-Match: Southampton V Liverpool - March 1st 2014 (5:30PM)
      Reply #115: Feb 28, 2014 09:17:33 pm
      Were the only top 6 side they have beaten this season. We need to ram that back down there throats.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7143 
      Reply #116: Feb 28, 2014 09:18:01 pm
      I think we have the most confident team since 09 they honestly think they can blow anyone away and I would much rather go in with that attitude than trying to keep things tight and come away with a 1-0 we are  simply sh*te at that so play to our strengths. Unleash the SAS boys.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #117: Feb 28, 2014 09:18:59 pm
      Think we'll really struggle here.

They always seem to know to play against us. Press us high, overrun our midfield etc.

I'd say it's a game for Allen, but the last time I said that was against Arsenal.. Countinho played and we all know the rest! So shows what I know.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      Reply #118: Feb 28, 2014 09:22:36 pm
      Think we'll really struggle here.

They always seem to know to play against us. Press us high, overrun our midfield etc.

I'd say it's a game for Allen, but the last time I said that was against Arsenal.. Countinho played and we all know the rest! So shows what I know.

Well if were going to struggle at Southampton then all talk of a potential title challenge needs to be stopped. They are 9th. Have not beaten City Chelsea Arsenal Spurs or even utd or Everton this season, sh*te they lost 3-1 to West Ham last week!!

Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #119: Feb 28, 2014 09:34:23 pm
      Well if were going to struggle at Southampton then all talk of a potential title challenge needs to be stopped. They are 9th. Have not beaten City Chelsea Arsenal Spurs or even utd or Everton this season, sh*te they lost 3-1 to West Ham last week!!

Precisely the reason I still think we'll fall short this year yet mate. Still don't have the confidence we can go away to these places & blow them off the park. At home it's a different story.

They've also taken points off City and Arsenal here in their defence, think it will be tough game this.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      Reply #120: Feb 28, 2014 09:37:31 pm
      Precisely the reason I still think we'll fall short this year yet mate. Still don't have the confidence we can go away to these places & blow them off the park. At home it's a different story.

They've also taken points off City and Arsenal here in their defence, think it will be tough game this.

It will be by no means a stroll but we should have the belief and mentality that we will get 3 points
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4413 
      Reply #121: Feb 28, 2014 09:47:08 pm
      It will be by no means a stroll but we should have the belief and mentality that we will get 3 points

I agree won't be easy but something has definitely clicked this season we seem to have a never say die mentality this season even when things are not going well.
      BTW saints have not exactly been ripping it up recently but no doubt will raise their game for us.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,130 posts | 127 
      Reply #122: Feb 28, 2014 09:49:22 pm
      Come on lads, I know being a Liverpool fan carries its own health warning, but if we can batter Spurs away we can do these.
      Southampton have been one of our bogey sides, but its time we put that to bed. Dont get me wrong, this is a tough game, but deffo winnable.
      COYR.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 61 
      Reply #123: Feb 28, 2014 09:51:42 pm
      Confident we will win,why,because we are a better side,who score lots of goals,but concede a few,but i am sure we will score more than them and that's all that matters
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #124: Feb 28, 2014 10:49:03 pm
      3 points and 3 goals minimum is what I expect us to achieve. Sure it won't be easy but we should expect these wins now, we've been doing it all season!
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #125: Feb 28, 2014 11:28:49 pm
      Strangely on recent games when I thought we would struggle against some teams and easy wins against some it turned out to be the opposite. Hopefully, this is the case.  Southampton plays those short passes and we must play distruptive football to upset their rhythm. I sense that we will win with a narrow margin.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #126: Mar 01, 2014 12:48:46 am
      They will be a slightly different side from the one that beat us at Anfield in September.

Injuries to Lovren and wanyama will surely cripple their ability to defend against the leagues most lethal attacking force.

Would take any sort of win here.
      DeanoLFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 259 posts | 18 
      Reply #127: Mar 01, 2014 12:57:27 am
      They've also lost their last 2 league games to sunderland & wham.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #128: Mar 01, 2014 01:02:35 am
      Rumoured team has Allen in for Coutinho. Feel more secure in that midfield with our poor away form.

Let's F***ing show these they were fortunate to play the team we set out at Anfield by getting at them early and not allowing them a sniff of our goal. Score early and often then keep sensible possession for the rest of the game. Don't overload the attack and leave our defence exposed, we need to be more diligent in our away games if we dare dream of a title.

The team we put out in the reverse fixture had centre backs playing as full backs, we had no Suarez, no Coutinho, Sterling didn't start, Henderson was playing out wide, Moses was on the other flank, and, lastly, Aspas was in the #10 role.

No excuses not to get the 3 points. We're the far superior team.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #129: Mar 01, 2014 01:44:51 am
      We can go 14 points above United and 2 points above City if we win. They will have one game and two games in hand respectively but this game is huge for that reason. Will put so much pressure on those teams around us. Would be great if Stoke could snatch a draw too at home to Arsenal, then we would only be 1 point behind them but somehow can't see that happening.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #130: Mar 01, 2014 02:35:00 am
      We can go 14 points above United and 2 points above City if we win. They will have one game and two games in hand respectively but this game is huge for that reason. Will put so much pressure on those teams around us. Would be great if Stoke could snatch a draw too at home to Arsenal, then we would only be 1 point behind them but somehow can't see that happening.
      Yes. yes, yes,......

Just get the three points.  How, why, which ever way, don't matter. Just get the 3 points.

The pressure will be on the chasing team, whether they have games in hand or not.

Come on Reds,  YNWA,.....    :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :clap: :clap: :clap: :kop5cf8koxp6:

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #131: Mar 01, 2014 03:25:04 am
      I've been keeping an eye on this thread all week, my earlier post I said this will be one very tough encounter and I still think it will,

But the side we fielded last time we played Saints was no where near as confident as what BR will name later, and that ladies & Gentlepersons is why we will win today,

Don't get me wrong it's still a toughy but this time round the boot is on the other foot, pardon the pun,
      At Anfield they played with a confidence that slightly outshone us plus we were unbalanced and didn't have the right players in the right positions to cope with theirs, but enough of that little snippet of history let's talk about what will happen laters,

I can see us taking the pts in a good game of attack V attack they will want to do the double on us being at home, this might give them a slight advantage but , could also go against them
      If BR (a) picks the right X1, (b) play like we did @ Spuds.....

Mignolet
       Flanno  Agger Skrtel Johnson
                     Gerrard
           Hendo.             Allen
       Sterling   Sturridge  Suarez

slightly different from my earlier X1 with Daniel replacing Kolo,

I'm confident we will bag the goodies and keep the momentum rolling.......1-3 Redmen,

COYR

YNWA
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #132: Mar 01, 2014 04:54:01 am
      I still don't think playing Allen ahead of Coutinho is wise. Coutinho can split open Southampton with a knock of the ball and i would guess we will be playing mainly a counter attacking strategy where his quick vision will be vital.

When the Saints employ a high line, Sturridge will burn past Yoshida and Fonte to get on the end of those passes.

I'd play both of them and sacrifice Raheem but if we stuck to the same formation, Coutinho is there ahead of Allen every day of the week.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #133: Mar 01, 2014 05:22:01 am
      When the Saints employ a high line, Sturridge will burn past Yoshida and Fonte to get on the end of those passes.

I guess Lovren will be back today replacing Yoshida, immediately improving their defence
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #134: Mar 01, 2014 06:53:28 am
      Yes. yes, yes,......

Just get the three points.  How, why, which ever way, don't matter. Just get the 3 points.

The pressure will be on the chasing team, whether they have games in hand or not.

Come on Reds,  YNWA,.....    :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :clap: :clap: :clap: :kop5cf8koxp6:

I agree with you totally, the 3 points is the important thing. No fuckups or defensive errors.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #135: Mar 01, 2014 07:26:26 am
      Just notice we will move to 2nd place, if we win.

;)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #136: Mar 01, 2014 07:45:26 am
      This one makes me really nervous - last time I felt like this was the week leading up to the Arsenal game.

Hoping we can be similarly incisive from the off.

I reckon Luis is a ticking goal timebomb and going to make a right mess of someone's defence soon. He's been terrific without much luck in front if goal recently.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #137: Mar 01, 2014 08:07:54 am
      I'll take a win in any form today. I hope the Arsenal-Tottenham-Everton-Stunning Liverpool shows up though.

Southampton has been long overdue for a can of azz-whooping

Quick Reply