Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Everyone thinks this is our BEST chance to win the PL?

Read 4636 times
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,789 posts | 574 
      Everyone thinks this is our BEST chance to win the PL?
      Apr 28, 2014 11:12:39 am
      Everywhere I go, everything I read people are always saying or writing that this is our BEST chance to win it....

Main reasons seem to be;

A) Chelsea will spend big
      B) City will spend big
      C) Man Utd will not be as sh*te
      D) Ditto Spurs
      E) Arsenal will spend big

But more importantly people seem to think we have massivley over acheived and we will slip back....

My thoughts on A-E are that this is absolutley no change for the past few years, with the possible exception of Utd getting better....

So really the question is have we over achieved or can we have another go next year??

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2014 07:59:17 pm by Tadders »
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Re: Everyone thinks this is our only chance to win the PL?
      Reply #1: Apr 28, 2014 11:16:55 am
      can't agree whit this. I think we'll get better and better. We have strong first team, but problem is that we do not have quality subs. So whit few good transfers I can only see more progress.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2: Apr 28, 2014 11:20:59 am
      Everywhere I go, everything I read people are always saying or writing that this is our one and only chance to win it....

Main reasons seem to be;

A) Chelsea will spend big
      B) City will spend big
      C) Man Utd will not be as sh*te
      D) Ditto Spurs
      E) Arsenal will spend big

But more importantly people seem to think we have massivley over acheived and we will slip back....

My thoughts on A-E are that this is absolutley no change for the past few years, with the possible exception of Utd getting better....

So really the question is have we over achieved or can we have another go next year??

A & B - when do those 2 teams not spend big? City had a net spend of around £90m over the course of the season, Chelsea had a net spend of about £55m, ours was about £20m.

C - Nobody can predict how sh*t United will be next season, they're about to lose Evra, Ferdinand and possibly Vidic. They're 3 experienced leaders and without Champions League football who knows who they will sign.

D - Spurs have only finished in the top 4 once I think, says it all.

E - Knowing Arsene Wenger he will waste all of his budget on midfielders again like he usually does.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #3: Apr 28, 2014 11:26:00 am
      Well, "Everyone" can F**k off then.
      rez
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts |
      Reply #4: Apr 28, 2014 11:35:18 am
      1. With the success of this season FSG will release some cash to Brendan. New players WILL come in. This does not necessarily mean we will be better, especially if a new back line does not gel right.
      2. The team HAS overachieved considering where we finished last year. It's rare that teams go for hoping for Europe to challenging for the top spot in one season. Next year we won't be underdogs and this will add to the pressure.
      3. SAS(AS) demolished teams this year because oppositions did not know how to defend against them. Chelsea proved how to play against us successfully yesterday and I see more teams using similar tactics against us

I'm not being pessimistic. Just tried to be as unbiased as possible with this reply. Give me a few weeks after the league ends this year and I'll be itching to go again to hopefully defend a title!!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Apr 28, 2014 11:41:15 am
      To an extent we have overachieved but not to the extent others believe.

We have a very small squad in terms of depth, we will buy in the summer so that will improve.

We have a very young squad, they'll be more experienced and will improve.

We have a very inexperienced and young manager, he will improve.

We are on an upward curve but just because it's surprised a few people doesn't mean we're going to turn back without completing the journey.

In a way I'm glad they think it's a one off, being underdog this season has kept off unwanted pressure.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #6: Apr 28, 2014 11:50:33 am
      I think it is a reflection of a couple of a few things really:

1/ We've been in the doldrums for some time now so our mentality as fans has altered somewhat. It used to be automatic top 4 and an expectation that we could/would put in a challenge for the top but our expectations (for the majority at least) have had to be altered the past few years.

2/ The competition for the top 4 is now so fierce. Just staying there will be a challenge next season, let alone bringing a full title challenge once again because it is effectively 5/6 teams trying to squeeze into 4 spots.

3/ But ultimately I think it reflects the sheer surprise and euphoria of being in the position we were in (this this time yesterday) compared to the situation we wake up too today.

It has certainly affected me, I still feel completely flat and deflated today. If we don't go on and win it I will certainly be able to be more philosophical about what has been an excellent season but it'll taker a bit of time. If that is how I feel I have got no idea how the skipper must be feeling right now.

But, I have to say that based on yesterday's performance, we looked like a side who will be up there once again next season. Particularly with youngsters like Sterling and Coutinho looking ready to become the next 'world class' Liverpool players. People just need a bit of time to process I think.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #7: Apr 28, 2014 12:08:29 pm
      There's no way this was our "only" chance, but this was surely our best chance in a long, long time. So "IF" it slips away, it's going to hurt even more than normal.

It's been a long wait afterall, and to slip up at the last hurdle is painful.

As for "people" (cynical fans / opposition fans), they didn't believe we could do it this year, yet we did!
      They won't believe it next year, and we'll surprise them again!  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8: Apr 28, 2014 12:25:15 pm
      Only?! Ridiculous statement, best could well prove to be correct but only is 100% incorrect.

Like I keep harping on though this Summer is absolutely crucial to how we progress. "Best" could be true for many factors that aligned this year to give us that "best" chance:

1. So many changes of manager at the top clubs (City/Chelsea/United/Spurs).
      2. Our lack of any European football.
      3. The fall of United from top to midtable.

With our small squad that lack of European football equalised the squad gap between us and the top tier of teams. We have proven this year that our first XI is capable of challenging for the title but it has also been proven that our back-up / squad players simply aren't good enough to cut it.

When we've called upon Cissokho, Jones, Aspas, Alberto, Moses they've made little to no positive impact in any of our games.

It could easily lead you to question the loaning of Suso, Borini, Ibe as they'd probably all be better options than those we have at our disposal but that's a statement made through hindsight. At the beginning of the year virtually none of us could foresee a title challenge and Brendan could well have been planning for next season at the beginning of this. That could of course come to bite him in the arse but it's equally as probable that having sat on the bench for most of the year that those lads would also have had a limited impact on games.

What it will do though is give us a an advantage in the Summer because it will be like having some new signings on day one of preseason, Ilori, Ibe, Suso, Borini, Wisdom all coming back in from successful loan spells will boost our squad tremendously. I suspect each of them will push aside one of their counterparts and allow us to boost the coffers in shipping out those surplus and bringing in players of great quality. That's all we lack now from being consistently up there, a few quality players in the right positions.

So this talk of "only" is complete and utter bollocks! The talk of "best" is even stretching it a little.
      RedWilly

• 9,198 posts | 1641 
      Reply #9: Apr 28, 2014 12:31:00 pm
      Only?! Ridiculous statement, best could well prove to be correct but only is 100% incorrect.

Like I keep harping on though this Summer is absolutely crucial to how we progress. "Best" could be true for many factors that aligned this year to give us that "best" chance:

1. So many changes of manager at the top clubs (City/Chelsea/United/Spurs).
      2. Our lack of any European football.
      3. The fall of United from top to midtable.

With our small squad that lack of European football equalised the squad gap between us and the top tier of teams. We have proven this year that our first XI is capable of challenging for the title but it has also been proven that our back-up / squad players simply aren't good enough to cut it.

When we've called upon Cissokho, Jones, Aspas, Alberto, Moses they've made little to no positive impact in any of our games.

It could easily lead you to question the loaning of Suso, Borini, Ibe as they'd probably all be better options than those we have at our disposal but that's a statement made through hindsight. At the beginning of the year virtually none of us could foresee a title challenge and Brendan could well have been planning for next season at the beginning of this. That could of course come to bite him in the arse but it's equally as probable that having sat on the bench for most of the year that those lads would also have had a limited impact on games.

What it will do though is give us a an advantage in the Summer because it will be like having some new signings on day one of preseason, Ilori, Ibe, Suso, Borini, Wisdom all coming back in from successful loan spells will boost our squad tremendously. I suspect each of them will push aside one of their counterparts and allow us to boost the coffers in shipping out those surplus and bringing in players of great quality. That's all we lack now from being consistently up there, a few quality players in the right positions.

So this talk of "only" is complete and utter bollocks! The talk of "best" is even stretching it a little.

Agree fully with this. People seem to forget that we'll be strengthening ourselves, our loanees will come back and be decent squad players replacing the likes of Aspas etc, whilst we will also be signing first team quality, forcing those in our line up, that have already proven they can challenge to the bench. Next year defensively we will surely be much stronger than this year having adjusted to fitting in Mignolet and Sakho not forgetting the amount of disruption we've had this year in defence with injuries.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6951 
      Reply #10: Apr 28, 2014 12:41:12 pm

We have over-achieved, don't think anyone can dispute that.  We have a very small squad and no doubt would have struggled with the same 11 if we had been in the Europa League and had good runs in both cups.  An extra 20 games and this team wouldn't be where they were.

Liverpool will only make a success next year if they buy proven quality in the summer rather than quantity, and keep their focus on the Premier League. 

A lot more teams will probably defend even at home against us next season, and it is more likely the top teams will come to Anfield, like Chelsea, aiming for a point.

We need to be prepared for that.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #11: Apr 28, 2014 01:17:55 pm
      Arsenal, Man Utd, chelsea, Man city, with the occasional drop in form or period of transition, all have sufficient income to challenge strongly most seasons.

Despite not really challenging for the title, Tottenham have strengthened somewhat in recent years, giving them hope of a top four finish.

We failed to win the Premier League when we were a part of the so-called Big Four, it can be argued that there are now a Big Six fighting it out.

This is clearly not our only chance to win the title, but there have been few genuine challenges over the last couple of decades which make falling short harder to take.

The increased level of competition in England, and huge income of our direct rivals, surely mean that it will be hard for any club to be in contention every year.

It will be vital that our prize money and sponsorship earnings be carefully spent this summer.
      asus
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #12: Apr 28, 2014 03:17:47 pm
      To some extent, this season does i think provide one of the best opportunities - Man U in dissaray, Chelsk in middle of rebuilding, Spurs dropped the ball when appointing Sherwood, Arse have to come good one season in the end + LFC had no Euro football this season. So as i see it next year is gonna be tougher
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,347 posts | 6394 
      Reply #13: Apr 28, 2014 06:09:29 pm
      One thing we have that other teams don't is Brendan Rodgers. He seems to be the great equalizer and with decent investment over the summer we will be right back at the top next season.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #14: Apr 28, 2014 06:13:11 pm
      Sorry, but what?

We put together an 11-game winning run this season and made it look EASY.

We could potentially do the same (or an even longer streak) twice or more next season! We're capable, we're virtually unplayable and we're Liverpool.

People either hate us or rate us. That's how it's always been.
      harrydunn08

• 5,923 posts | 965 
      Reply #15: Apr 28, 2014 06:21:56 pm
      We have been the best team in England over the last 18 months.  You could make the argument that we may have been less effective in the league if we'd had European football to worry about or if we'd gone deeper into some of the domestic cups, but that is really down to a lack of quality depth.  With the likes of Suso and Ilori both getting good experience in Spain and Borini looking like a decent option up front we will have some additional quality next season before we even buy anyone!!  If we can be effective and efficient in the summer transfer window then I see no reason why we will not continue as one of the best teams across all of the domestic and European competitions that we compete in!! 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #16: Apr 28, 2014 06:30:03 pm
      So as i see it next year is gonna be tougher

But it will be for everyone else too. 

Where we will flourish is by having a manager entering his 3rd season with a young but more experienced squad of players who are now used to his methods. 

We won't be bringing in a shed load of new players who need to adapt, we'll be bringing back our loanees who have had a season to get used to playing at high intensity every week.  We'll add 2 or 3 quality players who if Brendan gets it right should slot straight into the starting 11, like Cou and Sturridge did.

Arsenal don't need many new players, what they need is a proper medical team to stop them getting so many injuries or change their training regime.

The mancs are starting all over again with another new manager, same with spuds and they don't have an £80m player to sell this time.

City and the chavs will strengthen but that's nothing new, they spend tens of millions every summer and we've kept up with them both this season.

Let others think this was our best/only chance of winning the title, they wrote us off all season this time but with 2/3 games remaining we can still win it  ;)

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,397 posts | 2823 
      Reply #17: Apr 28, 2014 06:45:45 pm
      Nah, with some good summer signings we'll defend our title I think.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #18: Apr 28, 2014 07:29:10 pm
      I've been having the very same conversation with a few people, and my answer here is the same as it is to them: look at our results since BR started to get his team together by bringing in Sturridge and Coutinho. We've averaged over 2 points per game for 15 months or so. That's not a flash in the pan or a one season wonder. That is the basis for long term success.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #19: Apr 28, 2014 07:36:27 pm
      Baffling (desperate?) argument being made by some sets of supporters that this is a one-season blip for us. First and foremost: Look at the football and the results since January 2013. Maybe they could've said that the second half of last season was a purple patch with no pressure, etc. Then how do they explain our form this *entire* season? In most pressure situations, we've passed with flying colors this season. The Chelsea lost yesterday was the first we really slipped up.

Also, gotta laugh at the ridiculous argument "Chelsea and City will spend." Of course they will. But what, we're not going to make additions? Some of these supporters act as if the squad we have now is the squad we're going to have forever. Stupid, really.
      Tadders
      • Started Topic

• 6,789 posts | 574 
      Re: Everyone thinks this is our BEST chance to win the PL?
      Reply #20: Apr 28, 2014 07:59:45 pm
      comments duly noted and agreed, our best chance to win it.

Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #21: Apr 28, 2014 08:05:24 pm
      I think that having a manager who has instilled a very definitive style of play is also another reason why we will be up for the next few years. This side has a real identity, not to mention some very talented young players. I don't believe we will be one season wonders but clearly it is another important transfer window ahead this summer and it is up to FSG to back the manager and its up to Brendan to get the right players in.

There, I'm feeling a bit more philosophical already.

Guess we are all Newcastle fans tonight then!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #22: Apr 28, 2014 08:09:15 pm
      Its a great chance, how  any can say its our best chance I don't know? Nobody knows whats ahead for any club. Utd might fade for a few years. Arsenal are Arsenal. Chelsea might be deducted a heap of points for being c*nts and city well city hold no fear  for me at all

Oh and Id bet were only going to keep improving 

Quick Reply