Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Lazar Markovic (Benfica)

Read 34751 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Lazar Markovic (Benfica)
      Jun 27, 2014 08:34:17 pm
      The echo has reported it, so I thought I'd make a thread :D

Liverpool set to swoop for £25m Markovic after sealing Lallana deal

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-fc-set-swoop-25m-7339815
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2014 08:57:10 pm by Reslivo »
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Re: Lazar Markovic
      Reply #1: Jun 27, 2014 08:40:48 pm
      Between Lallana, Origi, Can, and now Markovic it seems like we're interested in taking some big money gambles this summer. He plays well, can definitely play in a fluid, quick, BR system. But I wish we'd go for William Carvalho over Markovic though, he's the true young star of that league.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #2: Jun 27, 2014 08:42:58 pm
      Between Lallana, Origi, Can, and now Markovic it seems like we're interested in taking some big money gambles this summer. He plays well, can definitely play in a fluid, quick, BR system. But I wish we'd go for William Carvalho over Markovic though, he's the true young star of that league.

Do they play similar positions then? I haven't really seen either, just youtube.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #3: Jun 27, 2014 08:53:55 pm
      Superb prospect with truly world class potential. This kid has it all skill, strength, burning pace, work rate, vision, passing. Will be over the moon if we get this guy he will improve our first 11 instantly. Only thing is he plays a similar position to Cou and Lallana but it would be a great problem to have.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4: Jun 27, 2014 08:55:51 pm
      Do they play similar positions then? I haven't really seen either, just youtube.

William Carvalho from the little I've seen of him seems to be the perfect defensive midfielder, he really has the physical presence and looks like a monster. Seems like a good composed short passer, but most importantly, he the type of defensive midfielder that's always on your back and seems to be there at the right place and time to nick the ball. Reminds me of Matic.

As for Markovic, for those that have seen him play, can he play as a box-box midfielder or is he a pure attacking player?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Lazar Markovic (Benfica)
      Reply #5: Jun 27, 2014 09:03:05 pm
      wow.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #6: Jun 27, 2014 09:03:52 pm
      William Carvalho from the little I've seen of him seems to be the perfect defensive midfielder, he really has the physical presence and looks like a monster. Seems like a good composed short passer, but most importantly, he the type of defensive midfielder that's always on your back and seems to be there at the right place and time to nick the ball. Reminds me of Matic.

As for Markovic, for those that have seen him play, can he play as a box-box midfielder or is he a pure attacking player?

More attacking midfieler than box-to-box but he does make lightning fast breaks from deep in his own half will perfectly suit our quick break style.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #7: Jun 27, 2014 09:18:15 pm
      More attacking midfieler than box-to-box but he does make lightning fast breaks from deep in his own half will perfectly suit our quick break style.

A bit like Di Maria?
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #8: Jun 27, 2014 09:39:27 pm

William Carvalho is one of the most solid and consistent defensive midfielders I've ever seen. He will grow into a world class player for sure and he's been progressing into more of a box-to-box type as well. What he does though is allow any of the other center midfielders he plays with to be released of their defensive responsibilities and worry about the attack which is wonderful to have.

Markovic is an attacking midfielder on the other hand. In a 4-3-3/4-3-2-1, he would be the furthest of the three center mids up the field. As said before he's similar to Coutinho - IMO he doesn't have the same vision as we've seen from Cou but overall I think he's got the potential to be an even better player. More complete overall, not strong, but can hold his own, he's quick and very talented on the ball, he's got a shot on him, and he can pass well.

He is not a box-to-box man at all. Not from what I've seen. Hasn't shown any ability to defend up to this point in his career.

He's got a lot of potential to be a great player eventually, but at his age and level I honestly don't think he'd be an improvement on what we have (Sterling and Coutinho). Especially if we've gotten Lallana now, he's very similar to all of them.

Wish we'd have just combined the 20m from him and the 25m from Lallana and gone with a Di Maria or another world class attacking midfielder. Just my opinion though.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #9: Jun 27, 2014 09:44:53 pm
      Markovic is amazing. He's got great work rate and technical ability. I'd love us to sign him. I'll just leave it to BR to worry how he's gonna use all this attacking power ;D
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #10: Jun 27, 2014 10:00:51 pm
      William Carvalho is one of the most solid and consistent defensive midfielders I've ever seen. He will grow into a world class player for sure and he's been progressing into more of a box-to-box type as well. What he does though is allow any of the other center midfielders he plays with to be released of their defensive responsibilities and worry about the attack which is wonderful to have.

Markovic is an attacking midfielder on the other hand. In a 4-3-3/4-3-2-1, he would be the furthest of the three center mids up the field. As said before he's similar to Coutinho - IMO he doesn't have the same vision as we've seen from Cou but overall I think he's got the potential to be an even better player. More complete overall, not strong, but can hold his own, he's quick and very talented on the ball, he's got a shot on him, and he can pass well.

He is not a box-to-box man at all. Not from what I've seen. Hasn't shown any ability to defend up to this point in his career.

He's got a lot of potential to be a great player eventually, but at his age and level I honestly don't think he'd be an improvement on what we have (Sterling and Coutinho). Especially if we've gotten Lallana now, he's very similar to all of them.

Wish we'd have just combined the 20m from him and the 25m from Lallana and gone with a Di Maria or another world class attacking midfielder. Just my opinion though.

Thanks for taking the time to write that.

Well, by the sounds of it he sounds promising. Not worth £20m just yet then?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #11: Jun 27, 2014 10:01:22 pm
      Amazing player and one who I have followed closely in the.... Portuguese league (is it?)

Obviously never heard of the f**ker. Any good?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #12: Jun 27, 2014 10:15:34 pm
      Amazing player and one who I have followed closely in the.... Portuguese league (is it?)

Obviously never heard of the f**ker. Any good?

I've more hope of telling you about Lazar quest lad
      angelodias
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #13: Jun 27, 2014 10:17:57 pm
      I'm portuguese and a big Benfica fan, so I watched all Benfica games last season.

He's an attacking midfielder, and plays more often on the right or behind the striker.

This lad is the fastest player I ever saw in the portuguese league running with the ball. If you want to compare him with someone let's say he's like Messi. Great technique, pace and vision. This goal resumes simply what he does often on the field, sometimes he just goes to score the goal, other times he passes the ball to someone score. But he won't be cheap, don't expect less than £30m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZn2aOqEHAc
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #14: Jun 27, 2014 10:32:55 pm
      I'm portuguese and a big Benfica fan, so I watched all Benfica games last season.

He's an attacking midfielder, and plays more often on the right or behind the striker.

This lad is the fastest player I ever saw in the portuguese league running with the ball. If you want to compare him with someone let's say he's like Messi. Great technique, pace and vision. This goal resumes simply what he does often on the field, sometimes he just goes to score the goal, other times he passes the ball to someone score. But he won't be cheap, don't expect less than £30m.

You say it's what he does often but didn't he only manage 5 goals last season in 26 league appearances (19 starts)? I know he's very young and he looks a really good player but is £30m really his market value? I can't see us paying such an amount.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #15: Jun 27, 2014 10:44:05 pm

Nice, he just owned Carvalho in that clip :D
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #16: Jun 27, 2014 10:49:34 pm
      @JamesPearceEcho: #LFC believe it will take £25m to get Markovic but they are willing to pay it for the highly rated young Serbian winger.
      angelodias
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #17: Jun 27, 2014 10:52:46 pm
      I can't see us paying such an amount.
      Me neither. He's already a world class player, he has the same level as Di Maria a couple of years ago when he went to Madrid for €36m, but is younger. 

That's his type of play. But normally to score he needs to pass 4 or 5 defenders, so that's why he didn't score 30 goals last season. He's very strong on the 1vs1, and after he passes the first defenders he usually passes the ball to someone else. That kinda goals like the one on the video are harder to score regularly. But yeah, he would be a big improvement to our squad!
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #18: Jun 27, 2014 11:00:50 pm
      Me neither. He's already a world class player, he has the same level as Di Maria a couple of years ago when he went to Madrid for €36m, but is younger. 

That's his type of play. But normally to score he needs to pass 4 or 5 defenders, so that's why he didn't score 30 goals last season. He's very strong on the 1vs1, and after he passes the first defenders he usually passes the ball to someone else. That kinda goals like the one on the video are harder to score regularly. But yeah, he would be a big improvement to our squad!

I think he is talking about overpaying at 30m to be honest.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #19: Jun 27, 2014 11:06:17 pm
      Lazar, now that's a first name you don't hear that often round these parts.

One of those names that seems to get mentioned as "the next big thing" quite often. Haven't seen him play more than a few times myself but I do believe he could be seen as an alternative to Sanchez. If we signed him and Sanchez then it must mean that Luis is on his way.

Some rumours that Sanchez may be heading to Juve, so our attention could be shifting already.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #20: Jun 27, 2014 11:14:05 pm

One of those names that seems to get mentioned as "the next big thing" quite often. Haven't seen him play more than a few times myself but I do believe he could be seen as an alternative to Sanchez. If we signed him and Sanchez then it must mean that Luis is on his way.

Some rumours that Sanchez may be heading to Juve, so our attention could be shifting already.

Supposedly Lazar was contingency for Lallana and we have been scouting him for over a year...we got Lellana so it seems to me that Markovic may now be a replacemetn for shaqari/sanchez

I think we are adding depth moreso than star players...if that is the case I would hope Luis is staying as depth is what cost of the title.

I still think the Sanchez bit was reporters coming up with ideas on a barca suarez deal moreso than it being any kind of reality.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #21: Jun 27, 2014 11:15:04 pm

Juve seem to be linked with everyone but never seem to spend any real £
      Apparently Utd are after Vidal - starting to worry about that mob again
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #22: Jun 27, 2014 11:28:12 pm
      Markovic is amazing. He's got great work rate and technical ability. I'd love us to sign him. I'll just leave it to BR to worry how he's gonna use all this attacking power ;D
      He must be planning on scoring even more goals this season and to hell with the defence , they score 4 we'll score 10 or 12 maybe .

Quick Reply