Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Adam Lallana (End of contract, BHA)

Read 228368 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Adam Lallana Player Thread
      Reply #506: Mar 10, 2015 06:51:16 pm
      ah.  you know that I'm right so you resort to making personal insults.

okay then.  If you'd like to be rude then I can't stop you.

although I don't see why you can't just say "I disagree, and here is why..."

You insult everyone's support but more importantly everyone's intelligence by saying "Liverpool fans don't care how Liverpool players play".

It's so childish I could hardly bother giving it a serious reply. You just want attention, as ever. And I'm done giving you that.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #507: Mar 10, 2015 07:01:43 pm
      I wonder where this phantom "pressure" comes from that the players keep talking about, how there is more "pressure" to do well at a big club like ours.

doesn't seem like there's any pressure on anyone.  Definitely not from the supporters.  All I ever see is "oh he'll do better next season," "oh he's young and still learning his craft," "oh so-and-so just needs a run of games, he'll be alright," "oh he's been injured, he'll come good, no doubt about it."

basically the supporters couldn't care less if the players play well or play like sh*te.

So I wonder why the players feel pressure. 

Very stupid statements from you Fed.......supporters are the worst people to try and find grace.

Look through just about player's thread on this forum and I'd be willing to be that 1/3 if not more (maybe even 1/2) of the posts have a negative tone from the so called "supporters".

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #508: Mar 10, 2015 08:44:50 pm
      Lallana's become a bit of whipping for some posters here. It's a shame. He's clearly a very talented footballer but he's been inconsistent. Part of that is due to simply being inconsistent, and part of it is down to injuries, first a knee injury that prematurely ended his preseason, then a few broken ribs, then a hamstring injury right when he was finding form.

I do think next season he'll be a big player for us. Not everyone comes into a side and dominates.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #509: Mar 10, 2015 08:55:21 pm
      I do think next season he'll be a big player for us. Not everyone comes into a side and dominates.

So.... is there EVER a time we can, you know, expect someone to play well right away?

I mean Lallana checks all the boxes.  In his prime, "premier league proven," knows the league, speaks English, etc etc.

And still we're sitting here saying "we won't see much from him until his second season."

So we can't even expect that the most expensive player we buy during the transfer window, who is proven in the league---we can't even expect THAT player to do well right way?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #510: Mar 10, 2015 09:13:20 pm
      So.... is there EVER a time we can, you know, expect someone to play well right away?

I mean Lallana checks all the boxes.  In his prime, "premier league proven," knows the league, speaks English, etc etc.

And still we're sitting here saying "we won't see much from him until his second season."

So we can't even expect that the most expensive player we buy during the transfer window, who is proven in the league---we can't even expect THAT player to do well right way?

If you've ever read "Soccernomics," there's a great chapter about transfer fees, wages and why some players need a year (sometimes two) to settle.

Lallana hasn't even been bad either, by the way. Just inconsistent.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #511: Mar 10, 2015 09:13:22 pm

I'd cut Lallana a bit more slack fella. He hasn't been awful, he has been inconsistent, he has played well at times and has also shown some flashes of real class as well at times. He didn't have a pre-season which is a fairly big deal for a player joining a new club. He certainly doesn't compare to Downing as was mentioned earlier in the thread. I'd like to see more form him but have seen enough to suggest he can be a good player for the club.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #512: Mar 10, 2015 09:43:24 pm
      I'd cut Lallana a bit more slack fella. He hasn't been awful, he has been inconsistent, he has played well at times and has also shown some flashes of real class as well at times. I'd like to see more form him but have seen enough to suggest he can be a good player for the club.

I don't think he's an awful player.  I think he's ok.  Definitely not Stewart Downing bad as was suggested by someone on the previous page.

But again.  And I am speaking not only of his own performances but also of the decisions being made by the club here---is the most we can expect now from a player who ticks all the boxes and who we spent a crazy amount of money on, is the most we can expect right away is a handful of good performances?

Maybe it's just me but if this summer the club says "we're going to spend £25m on a top, Premier League proven player, he's going to be our most expensive signing of the summer, but please don't expect him to do anything more than have a handful of good games until at least his second season"----I don't know, I would rather we just keep the money and spend it on cheaper players like Can etc. 

Lallana isn't a child.  He didn't come from Mongolia or somewhere where he would have to get used to life in England.  He played in massive games in the World Cup so he knows what it's like to play on the big stage.  He doesn't really have any reason not to be performing *at least* as well as he did at Saints last season. 

And yet somehow this doesn't bother anyone.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #513: Mar 10, 2015 09:44:01 pm
      Not getting the criticism of Lallana at all. We all knew over the Summer £25 million was too much for him. Is this Adams fault? We also all acknowledged he was a good player who would fit Brendan's style. Yes he has been inconsistent I would say half very good performances half average. His stats are decent for his first season at a big club, one curtailed by injuries, and his work rate has been generally excellent. I think Lallana can and will only get better for us and has shown plenty so far to suggest this.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #514: Mar 10, 2015 09:46:25 pm
      We also all acknowledged he was a good player who would fit Brendan's style.

does he really?

Half the time when we are pressing forward on attacks he gets the ball and slows us down by doing fifty Cruyff turns before making a decision. 

Coutinho, Sterling, Sturridge, Ibe---they all fit Brendan's "style." 

Lallana seems to be a lot more ponderous than any of them.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #515: Mar 10, 2015 10:07:27 pm
      does he really?

Half the time when we are pressing forward on attacks he gets the ball and slows us down by doing fifty Cruyff turns before making a decision. 

Coutinho, Sterling, Sturridge, Ibe---they all fit Brendan's "style." 

Lallana seems to be a lot more ponderous than any of them.

Strong technical ability, hardworking, good passer, makes intelligent runs in behind the opposition defence, links play, creative.

But you would ignore all this of course and exaggerate one single facet of his game alluding that this is all he does only hindering the team.

If you believe Lallana doesn't suit Brendan's style of play perhaps you should watch the City win last week again.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #516: Mar 10, 2015 10:10:01 pm
      We also all acknowledged he was a good player who would fit Brendan's style.

No we all didn't.

From back in July.

I don't particularly rate Lallana all that highly.

He only looks good in an average side. That's what we were when he showed his good form, since we've turned our fortunes around, he's been the average player he is.
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #517: Mar 10, 2015 10:11:23 pm
      I don't think he's an awful player.  I think he's ok.  Definitely not Stewart Downing bad as was suggested by someone on the previous page.

But again.  And I am speaking not only of his own performances but also of the decisions being made by the club here---is the most we can expect now from a player who ticks all the boxes and who we spent a crazy amount of money on, is the most we can expect right away is a handful of good performances?

Maybe it's just me but if this summer the club says "we're going to spend £25m on a top, Premier League proven player, he's going to be our most expensive signing of the summer, but please don't expect him to do anything more than have a handful of good games until at least his second season"----I don't know, I would rather we just keep the money and spend it on cheaper players like Can etc. 

Lallana isn't a child.  He didn't come from Mongolia or somewhere where he would have to get used to life in England.  He played in massive games in the World Cup so he knows what it's like to play on the big stage.  He doesn't really have any reason not to be performing *at least* as well as he did at Saints last season. 

And yet somehow this doesn't bother anyone.

It depends on your perspective though doesn't it. If you have seen enough of the player at times this season to give you confidence that he has what it takes to be a top player for LFC, then you will be less bothered that he isn't delivering week in week out and will be more sympathetic about him missing out on a pre-season. You will be more patient Because you have confidence he will deliver.

He has shown flashes of what he can do, he has scored a few important goals, he shown that he has flair and skill, he works very hard in the press and the worries about his 90 minute fitness have proved unfounded. BUT his final ball is often lacking and he does fade out of games. In truth it hasn't quite clicked for him yet.

But I think it will, that's why I don't give him a hard time.

Still would rather that £25 mill had gone in Fabregas though.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #518: Mar 10, 2015 10:11:57 pm

He only looks good in an average side. That's what we were when he showed his good form, since we've turned our fortunes around, he's been the average player he is.

He had one of his best games of the season last week against City. So that comment makes no sense.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #519: Mar 10, 2015 10:14:37 pm
      He had one of his best games of the season last week against City. So that comment makes no sense.

No he didn't.

People were banging on about it like he was boss, he was outshone by both Coutinho, Allen, Henderson and Sterling - he who himself weren't even that good. Lallana was average that game.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #520: Mar 10, 2015 10:16:51 pm

Still would rather that £25 mill had gone in Fabregas though.

Wouldn't we all mate but you can't really compare these transfers in monetary terms Fabregas cost £30 million with a salary of £200k a week almost three times that of Lallana's.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #521: Mar 10, 2015 10:18:20 pm
      Let me guess, Adam's teeth are too white? He has a picture of himself on his wall?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #522: Mar 10, 2015 10:21:00 pm
      No he didn't.

People were banging on about it like he was boss, he was outshone by both Coutinho, Allen, Henderson and Sterling - he who himself weren't even that good. Lallana was average that game.

I think most supporters would disagree he was "average". I agree he was outshone by Coutinho, Hendo and Allen who were superb but I disagree completely that his performance was average.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #523: Mar 10, 2015 10:25:57 pm
      I think most supporters would disagree he was "average". I agree he was outshone by Coutinho, Hendo and Allen who were superb but I disagree completely that his performance was average.

It wasn't average by any stretch of the imagination. He had a really good game.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #524: Mar 10, 2015 10:30:43 pm
      I disagree completely that his performance was average.

I don't even know what "average" is anymore. 

standards have been lowered so much in the past few years that that word has almost lost its meaning. 

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #525: Mar 10, 2015 10:32:17 pm

standards have been lowered so much in the past few years that that word has almost lost its meaning. 

No, it's lost its meaning because too many people like you expect every player to get a 10 rating every match.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4413 
      Reply #526: Mar 10, 2015 10:32:58 pm

Your just missing Woys interpretation of "average".....

Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #527: Mar 10, 2015 10:40:01 pm
      Wouldn't we all mate but you can't really compare these transfers in monetary terms Fabregas cost £30 million with a salary of £200k a week almost three times that of Lallana's.

I know mate, but then maybe we could have held fire on Markovic and made the deal happen. This is the issue I have with our transfer policy. Could have got one of those truly quality players that Brendan alluded to at the end of last summer our board have decided this way is the better way.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #528: Mar 10, 2015 10:45:40 pm
      I know mate, but then maybe we could have held fire on Markovic and made the deal happen. This is the issue I have with our transfer policy. Could have got one of those truly quality players that Brendan alluded to at the end of last summer our board have decided this way is the better way.

I think I would rather have Lallana and Marko. Adam is already a good player and Marko could be truly world class in a couple years.

Quick Reply