Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 12th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Pepe Reina (Bayern Munich)

Read 12298 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Pepe Reina to Bayern Munich
      Reply #69: Aug 06, 2014 01:34:44 pm
      Good luck Pepe. Thanks for the memories.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,532 posts | 225 
      Reply #70: Aug 06, 2014 01:38:55 pm
      The manager has suggested on a couple of occasions that the business we had been doing (up until a couple of weeks ago) was taking place irrespective of the Suarez fee. Could be complete bollox but you can't blames fans for taking that at face value.

As for Reina, it did look like all the bridges had perhaps been burnt but it doesn't change the fact that a/ Mignolet has been  shaky at times and b/ we're fooked if he went down with an injury and c/ he could use some decent competition to help with point a.

we most likely do have it to spend but we cannot spend it due to ffp, as I said, we made losses of 50m, its like putting it in this way, chelsea have 500m to spend but they cannot due to ffp

our wages are almost in control, once we sort them out, then we can spend what we sell, at the moment, our budget will not be more than 15-20m tops and then what we have in sales goes into that, simply because our costs are too high
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,532 posts | 225 
      Reply #71: Aug 06, 2014 01:44:45 pm
      That's a couple of times you've mentioned that now [free up funds]... Just out of curiosity ; what makes you think we need to? Do you believe we're short of funds?  :-\

yes we are, the issue is with wages....had we kept pepe, we would have to pay 15m or whatever we would for a new striker but then also his wages and oher fees etc

with pepe gone, that frees up like 4.5m in wages at least as he was the last of the hicks/gillette era given big contracts to push up his value

wages make such a huge difference, the fact we have the wages no covered means we can choose between a 15 and a 19m striker which could make all the difference

we must yet get rid of 3 cbs which should free up several millions too, I really think we need a striker, this is our big chance to cement top 4 as united and arsenal have not improved much in my opinion, too do that it must make financial sense for the club, wages are a clubs biggest expense and we easily and I mean easily have about 10-12m worth of deadwood in the squad with reina gone

which is why selling borini is so key, it could be the difference between getting 1st,2nd,3rd,4th or 5th
      LFCexiled
      Reply #72: Aug 06, 2014 02:30:53 pm
      Put it this way, I do NOT want to see him in goal against us for Munchen in the CL next year.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #73: Aug 06, 2014 02:39:19 pm
      Put it this way, I do NOT want to see him in goal against us for Munchen in the CL next year.

But I'd love to see any of our players in a one on one with him, he was a very poor shot stopper but had great command of the box and distribution, something Mignolet must, and in my opinion will, get better at.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #74: Aug 06, 2014 02:39:48 pm
      i'm not being sarcastic or annoyed, i'm genuinely interested...are you serious?
      He was courting Barcelona while still with us, I don't blame him for that but he blasted the Liverpool management in an open letter once we loaned him to Napoli. Napoli gave him CL football and he had a good time there, it isn't like our management loaned him out to a bottom half PL side. I don't think Reina is a bad keeper but the way people go on you would think he was world class.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,765 posts | 7184 
      Reply #75: Aug 06, 2014 02:40:59 pm
      i'm not being sarcastic or annoyed, i'm genuinely interested...are you serious?

sadly he is.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #76: Aug 06, 2014 02:42:42 pm

I think I would if it meant Neuer not being in there to be honest.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #77: Aug 06, 2014 02:44:19 pm
      Alt best pepe.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #78: Aug 06, 2014 02:45:13 pm
      Yes, thankyou KeeptheFaith - for some reason supporters of all clubs completely ignore the cost of wages  which often dwarf the transfer fee in terms of cost.

It's not because they are unaware that wages exist - they prefer to block it out of their minds so they can fantasise about buying Cavani.

Getting rid of Pepe, great though he has been for us, does indeed free up substantial funds for a new striker - virtually the whole art of professional sports is utilising resources better than the opposition.

Anyone who thinks we don't need to pay any regard to how we finance the squad is, frankly, a moron.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #79: Aug 06, 2014 02:49:38 pm
      Because Reina declined at liverpool. His last 2 seasons with us didn't suggest it was beneficial for Reina or Liverpool. Hopefully this Buyern Munich move will be good for him.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,765 posts | 7184 
      Reply #80: Aug 06, 2014 02:49:46 pm
      and so the word is spoken this forum is full of morons who are only concerned with football rather than balance sheets.do me a f***in favour
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,765 posts | 7184 
      Reply #81: Aug 06, 2014 02:50:23 pm
      Because Reina declined at liverpool. His last 2 seasons with us didn't suggest it was beneficial for Reina or Liverpool. Hopefully this Buyern Munich move will be good for him.

form is temporary class is permanent.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #82: Aug 06, 2014 02:52:35 pm
      form is temporary class is permanent.
      Why are we selling Borini then? He's only had 3 years bad form. Maybe he has peminant class.  :roll: If Rodgers thought Reina was class we wouldn't have got Mignolet and loaned Reina out. Perhaps you know more than the Liverpool manager though  :f_whistle:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,355 posts | 4969 
      Reply #83: Aug 06, 2014 02:53:37 pm

Anyone who thinks we don't need to pay any regard to how we finance the squad is, frankly, a moron.

FSG have proven over time that I don't have to worry about financing the squad as they do enough of that for the rest of us.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #84: Aug 06, 2014 02:59:18 pm
      All the best Pepe.

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #85: Aug 06, 2014 05:10:30 pm
      and so the word is spoken this forum is full of morons who are only concerned with football rather than balance sheets.do me a f***in favour

£14mil is a major bonus for us and will probably take us to a near zero spend so far.

Net spend of £5mil so far I believe with Pepe going that's going to drop even lower..pressure will start to build soon.

Well you are a case in point.

You go from thread to thread banging on about "zero net spend" without considering how much we are spending on wages - which is often the biggest financial part of the deal (eg Remy 8 million transfer, 20 million wages) - how the deal is structured - which you have no clue about - or what the total costs of a contract including performance bonuses are.

FSG have proven over time that I don't have to worry about financing the squad as they do enough of that for the rest of us.

Since we do the cheering and Brendan selects the team I guess the task of managing the finances has fallen to them. Nevertheless, money being the key factor in professional sports, it's a pretty important job.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #86: Aug 06, 2014 05:17:36 pm

Agreed that they have earnt our trust financially, but as with so much of what we talk about here, which despite being pointless prattle that is not ever going to change a single kick of the ball, it is fun to chat about.
      Thus we must head once more unto our amateur accounting desks, putting on the slightly cracked glasses of wild speculation, and waving our broken scales of perceived value.
      Silly season, eh? You have to love it.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #87: Aug 06, 2014 05:46:04 pm
      Well, as everyone knows we have spent about £10m over and above the £75m we got for Suarez but... as almost every red knows; we did get an additional £43m from BT; an additional £30m CL and additional sponsorship so...

I'm not as pessimistic as you about our shortage of funds - certainly not to the point where I'd believe we need to sell before we could buy.

Sell to move unhappy or unwanted players - without a doubt. Sell to raise funds... Nah. Wages or no wages.
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn’t want some F**k-wit trying to put a twist on the motive behind my question mate, (I was just curious as to why you thought we needed to sell before buying) so... Just to be clear: I fully understand how much Pepe's leaving frees up in terms of impact on wages...

That said: moving Pepe on (even for free) saves the club £11.5m and that's the actual point I was making in response to your observation that "we seem very keen just to ship him out the door for nothing". To the club it's not "nothing", if you catch my drift.

Like Brendan said "Financially it was something that we needed to look at... That [finance] would be the reason (to move Reina) as you wouldn’t move on a top goalkeeper."

A £110k per week contract [2 years left] = £11.5m off the books.

It's hard to judge with loanees in and out but I'd imagine Luis' £200k will have softened the blow somewhat. Then again, if Pepe stays (which I doubt) the bill rises again.

Anyhow it's something to bare in mind.

;)

« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2014 06:18:43 pm by bad boy bubby »
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #88: Aug 06, 2014 05:57:34 pm
      Well, as everyone knows we have spent about £10m over and above the £75m we got for Suarez but... as almost every red knows; we did get an additional £43m from BT; an additional £30m CL and additional sponsorship so...

I'm not as pessimistic as you about our shortage of funds - certainly not to the point where I'd believe we need to sell before we could buy.

Sell to move unhappy or unwanted players - without a doubt. Sell to raise funds... Nah. Wages or no wages.

Agreed, we are not hurting for cash.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #89: Aug 06, 2014 06:12:04 pm
      Agreed, we are not hurting for cash.
      Let's be honest A-Zed... we're City/Chelsea wealthy this season.  :f_tongueincheek:

As for wages... I actually really trust FSG to balance the books on that front and again (if we are being honest): between the saving on Luis' wages; the players we've loaned out and Pepe the wage bill, in my opinion, is pretty close to neutral compared with last season.

We definitely don't need to sell anyone, just to raise funds to buy a forward, unless we are thinking Messi or Ronaldo, of course.  ;D

« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2014 06:24:17 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #90: Aug 06, 2014 06:15:00 pm
      Yes, thankyou KeeptheFaith - for some reason supporters of all clubs completely ignore the cost of wages  which often dwarf the transfer fee in terms of cost.

It's not because they are unaware that wages exist - they prefer to block it out of their minds so they can fantasise about buying Cavani.

Getting rid of Pepe, great though he has been for us, does indeed free up substantial funds for a new striker - virtually the whole art of professional sports is utilising resources better than the opposition.

Need to take into account contract extensions also. Which kitty does that come out of? I'd imagine with what they've saved from Pepe's wages will be swallowed up by Gerrard, Suso, Coutinho & Sterling's 'new' contracts.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #91: Aug 06, 2014 06:15:53 pm
      Of course we are "hurting for cash" since we are financially behind the spending power of City, Chelsea, United and Arsenal (who have the biggest cash reserves in the league) at the least.

Our ability to compete is by definition relative otherwise we could be buying the best players in the world for a couple of million pounds.

It is no surprise to me that you are unable to comprehend this point.

Need to take into account contract extensions also. Which kitty does that come out of? I'd imagine with what they've saved from Pepe's wages will be swallowed up by Gerrard, Suso, Coutinho & Sterling's 'new' contracts.

Good point - and further shows up the stupidity of those who work out our "net spend" using primary school maths.

Quick Reply