Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Let's say we finish 5th

Read 6646 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Let's say we finish 5th
      Reply #69: Nov 02, 2014 04:32:14 pm
      Balotelli?  £90k per week basic with addons (if he achieves his targets) taking it to £160k but we won't bring in new players earning more than our existing players, they have to "prove their worth" to the team first.

So if you are a player who's already proven and you know your services are in high demand and other clubs will pay you the going rate, why would you come to us?

Exactly Debs.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #70: Nov 02, 2014 04:37:32 pm
      Balotelli does not support your assumptions because of the circumstances surrounding him. According to his agent, he was on his "last chance for a big club", which put us in a very strong negotiating position. We basically had him over a barrel and any club of our stature would have taken advantage of that to get him with minimal wages. That was simply good business sense. The fact is we haven't been successful in signing any big name player yet since all of them have turned us down. As late as the Summer we tried to sign Sanchez, Cavani, Falco and Benzema, all of whom said there was no chance of them joining us. Given that we didn't even get as far as personal terms negotiations with the player's representatives we simply do not know what would or would not have been offered them. The absence of proof is not proof in itself.

You asked for proof about us not paying CL wages, Balotellis circumstances weren't part of the equation. 

But you're right of course, there is no "written proof" that this is our actual policy, we're just a sh*t attraction to any player that has the pick of clubs to go to.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #71: Nov 02, 2014 05:03:49 pm
      You asked for proof about us not paying CL wages, Balotellis circumstances weren't part of the equation. 

But you're right of course, there is no "written proof" that this is our actual policy, we're just a sh*t attraction to any player that has the pick of clubs to go to.

It's not proof by any stretch of the imagination. His circumstances would most definitely have been taken in to consideration. Do you seriously expect us all to believe that a player that was all but thrown out of his previous club, after leaving the one before that on bad terms, who can't get in to the Italian side because he's deemed not good enough, does not try hard enough, whose own agent publicly states this is his client's last chance to dance, would not warrant any businessman worth his salt using that to their advantage? There's certainly anecdotal evidence but as Walt said, the whole transfer process is wrapped up in secrecy with negotiations conducted behind closed doors that we do not know either way. It's entirely possible that we don't offer comparable wages but there is no proof.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #72: Nov 02, 2014 05:13:12 pm
      There is no doubt we are one of the Top 4 wage payers in the EPL, ahead of Arsenal so all this wage talk is a bit of a smoke screen. Question is why have we turned to sh*te this season..................
      You cant tell me Southampton and West Ham have better players................. ....

Maybe it was the Uruguayian nutter?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #73: Nov 02, 2014 05:27:49 pm
      It's not proof by any stretch of the imagination. His circumstances would most definitely have been taken in to consideration. Do you seriously expect us all to believe that a player that was all but thrown out of his previous club, after leaving the one before that on bad terms, who can't get in to the Italian side because he's deemed not good enough, does not try hard enough, whose own agent publicly states this is his client's last chance to dance, would not warrant any businessman worth his salt using that to their advantage? There's certainly anecdotal evidence but as Walt said, the whole transfer process is wrapped up in secrecy with negotiations conducted behind closed doors that we do not know either way. It's entirely possible that we don't offer comparable wages but there is no proof.

I don't "expect" you to believe F**k all mate, I'm not that arrogant to think everyone needs to agree with my views.  Neither am I desperate to win an imaginary argument that you appear to want to have, hence my reply......

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #74: Nov 02, 2014 05:38:07 pm
      There is no doubt we are one of the Top 4 wage payers in the EPL, ahead of Arsenal so all this wage talk is a bit of a smoke screen. Question is why have we turned to sh*te this season..................

Not so sure about that mate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11110007/Arsenals-annual-wage-bill-moves-ahead-of-Chelseas-for-first-time-in-more-than-a-decade.html

http://www.tsmplug.com/football/premier-league-player-salaries-club-by-club/

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #75: Nov 02, 2014 05:43:17 pm
      Finishing 5th,6th,or even 7th although extremely disappointing changing the manager is not the answer, where would that place us if that were to happen?

We have to consider we're still within that 5 year plan,  last season we were exceptional and probably a year ahead of schedule, however, losing two thirds of your attacking prowess, to dependant on the third element of that attack(a teenager)  coupled with major injuries to key players,
      Add other players taking longer to settle(maybe never will) a new uncertain back 4, and a still unconvincing keeper,  is it really any wonder we are miles off from last season?

It has been disappointing this season thus far, but ffs has it really come down to the point where we're discussing a new manager,  really?

Of course the signings made have been let's say a let down,  but that doesn't mean they won't come good,  we can all point fingers and blame whoever but at the end of the day it gets us nowhere,

We were never going to match last season's exploits, even had Luis stayed,  we would be in a better position than we are currently granted imo but with the signings that chavs, citeh, Arse, and even the scum have signed it' was no guarantee we'd finish in a top 4 spot,(we probably would have tbh)

Look, all I'm saying is too many on here are to.hasty In sharpening the knives,  last season like it or not was a one off, we had a 30+ goal scoring, goal assisting genius,  we had another 25+ goal scorer, we had the surprise element of a fearless teenager,  a season free of midweek football allowing at least a 5day rest period giving us a fresh ready to go again X1, a X1 all singing from the same songsheet,

We're not a club known for sacking managers per se, and it's far too early imo for us to consider bagging Brendan,  he at least deserves to be given the time to put things right,  I hope that FSG back their man and give him another season irrespective of where we finish even if that's as low as 7th.

Top 4 is still achievable and until it's mathematically impossible I'll still believe we will make it.

YNWA

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #76: Nov 02, 2014 06:06:29 pm
      You cant tell me Southampton and West Ham have better players................. ....

Maybe it was the Uruguayian nutter?

no maybe about it. If I played in that side last year as soon as I got the ball I would be looking to see where Luis is.No tactical genius required
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #77: Nov 02, 2014 06:11:31 pm

Cheers for that. My point still stands we are certainly not paying peanuts considering the EPL is the richest league in the world.
      sh*t scouting comes to mind.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #78: Nov 02, 2014 08:34:43 pm
      I don't "expect" you to believe f**k all mate, I'm not that arrogant to think everyone needs to agree with my views.  Neither am I desperate to win an imaginary argument that you appear to want to have, hence my reply......

Appearances can be deceiving, I assure you, I'm just having a debate.

Cheers for that. My point still stands we are certainly not paying peanuts considering the EPL is the richest league in the world.
      Sh*t scouting comes to mind.

Lack of common sense is another. It doesn't take a scout to tell you that Markovic's position was overflowing with existing talent, regardless of how good he was.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #79: Nov 02, 2014 09:51:54 pm
      Lack of common sense is another. It doesn't take a scout to tell you that Markovic's position was overflowing with existing talent, regardless of how good he was.

Maybe preparation for the sale of Sterling to Madrid :)

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #80: Nov 03, 2014 11:22:23 pm
      If we finish any lower than last seasons position then it would be a failure IMO, especially if we finished bloody 5th!

But given that we have lost the main reason why we finished where we did, I can settle for winning the Champions League and coming 3rd ;)

**Make note of this post for end of the season ;)**
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #81: Nov 04, 2014 01:26:28 am
      If we finish 5th, I don't think he should go. But there would need to obviously be some changes made, some better players brought in and better progress made the following year.

Now...if we finish 9th or 10th.....think it would be a different story, I guess I'd have to determine how much blame was attributed to Brendan.

If we finish 5th, I don't think FSG sacks Brendan.

Not really interested in changing managers every few years like the Arab owned clubs or the Russian owned ones.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #82: Nov 04, 2014 01:30:47 am
      If we finish 5th, I don't think he should go. But there would need to obviously be some changes made, some better players brought in and better progress made the following year.

Now...if we finish 9th or 10th.....think it would be a different story, I guess I'd have to determine how much blame was attributed to Brendan.

If we finish 5th, I don't think FSG sacks Brendan.

Not really interested in changing managers every few years like the Arab owned clubs or the Russian owned ones.

The irony is, if we finish 5th we won't be able to attract better players. We had that one window to kick on from last season and he blew it, preferring quantity over quality. Even January will be extremely difficult if we're not in the top four. Let's be brutally honest here, would you want to join Liverpool in its current state if you where a professional footballer?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #83: Nov 04, 2014 02:02:44 am
      The irony is, if we finish 5th we won't be able to attract better players. We had that one window to kick on from last season and he blew it, preferring quantity over quality. Even January will be extremely difficult if we're not in the top four. Let's be brutally honest here, would you want to join Liverpool in its current state if you where a professional footballer?

Well that's the problem of course, but if you find yourself in 5th, there's not much else you can do.

Man United found a way to attract top players in spite of having no European football so it's obviously possible.

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #84: Nov 04, 2014 02:45:17 am
      Well that's the problem of course, but if you find yourself in 5th, there's not much else you can do.

Man United found a way to attract top players in spite of having no European football so it's obviously possible.

That they did by throwing silly wages at players.

I have no doubt we were interested in Falcao but tried to low ball him with Balotelli wages of 90K a week plus add ons, then came United and put 350k on the table.

It's nonsensical really and works if you have an unlimited pool of funds, if you don't it becomes unsustainable if you finish outside the top 4 for a few seasons.

City did it with success offering a heaven for football mercenaries, they attracted a plethora of talent without the CL carrot only in their third year under the Sheiks did they finally qualify.

Finishing 5th would be extremely dissapointing and questions will need to be answered, alot would depend on the shape of the team at the end of the season; have new players gelled, do we have an established defense, what are the glaring gaps?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #85: Nov 04, 2014 11:56:06 am

The only way better players will arrive is if FSG relax the policy of no high wages mate.  I still don't get why people think it's down to Brendan.
      ally1892_LFC
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #86: Nov 04, 2014 12:12:14 pm
      I think he needs the time....he needs to spend big though on world class players. Look at last season, Luis Suarez, world class striker and we finish 2nd. We don't have any real big world class players at the moment. How many teams have been successful without this calibre of player? Van Persie to Man Utd a few years back was the difference maker in the title race, Sergio Aguero in Man City's title success....and the big teams all over Europe...Barca, Real, Bayern - they have a whole squad full of them, all we need is a couple!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #87: Nov 04, 2014 12:20:45 pm

I would..

But then I'm biased
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #88: Nov 08, 2014 05:12:15 pm
      At this rate I hope we're not in a relegation battle
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #89: Nov 08, 2014 05:22:16 pm
      Team,squad has zero confidence at the moment, when will it return?.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #90: Nov 08, 2014 06:56:51 pm
      Yeah but Hodgson wasn't very popular :)

;D

You are a cad Saint !

Lets say we don't even finish 7th on 61 points ...  our 2013 finish ?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #91: Nov 08, 2014 09:15:48 pm
      Let's say we finish 5th I will start to believe in miracles and 20 year old virgins. :(

Quick Reply