Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Potential solutions

Read 5497 times
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 524 posts |
      Potential solutions
      Nov 08, 2014 07:35:31 pm
      Given our recent form will the following simple remedies improve us or do we need bigger root and branch type interventions?

1. Sturridge returning
      2. Flanagan and Sakho returning
      3. Fringe players like Lucas borini and toure starting
      4. A new striker and/or keeper in January

Or do we need a new defensive coach, director of football..etc?

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Potential solutions
      Reply #1: Nov 08, 2014 07:45:49 pm
      Given our recent form will the following simple remedies improve us or do we need bigger root and branch type interventions?
      #1: A time machine to take Club/Moores/Parry back to time before carpetbaggers. Failing that...

#2: A transfer policy which allows us to "overpay" [fees & wages] for proven top quality players.  >:D

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Nov 08, 2014 07:47:44 pm

1. Sturridge returning

£100mill spent in the summer and we are having to grasp at straws for potential solutions to a miserable season so far before we are even half way through it. Good grief.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #3: Nov 08, 2014 07:48:01 pm
      I'm going to break rank.

Rafa Benitez, we suffer till this very day from the void his leadership left.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,309 posts | 768 
      Reply #4: Nov 08, 2014 07:56:42 pm
      Obviously need to sign one or two genuine class players, rather than good to average, look how well Southampton are doing, after selling quite a few of their players. Problem is how to attracted, genuine class players in January when we could well be out of the Champions' League. Somehow suggests that the  club have missed the boat, with such mediocre Summer signings.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #5: Nov 08, 2014 07:58:53 pm
      Unfortunately, to get back to challenging for the league, we probably need to spend another 120 mil or so on:

A world-class striker
      A world-class central midfielder
      A world-class centre-half
      A quality right back
      A quality goalkeeper
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #6: Nov 08, 2014 08:03:29 pm
      i say it again , de boer or klopp
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #7: Nov 08, 2014 08:05:41 pm

1. Sturridge returning

1. Without doubt!
      2. Would love to see Flanno back, but as a Right back. I think his distribution and tackling are exceptional, but he's weak at 1v1s.
      3. Lucas and Toure for sure! Sakho & Toure partnership might be interesting.
      4. Still think we need a creative forward rather than a #9. I think we'll be ok until Origi comes in the summer. As for GK, I would personally like to see us buy a new #1 (Begovic).
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #8: Nov 08, 2014 08:06:11 pm
      Which one; Jürgen or his brother Kilppity?
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #9: Nov 08, 2014 08:08:09 pm
      First and foremost, I feel for our owners. They entrusted Brendan Rodgers and the Committee with a substantial amount of cash over the past three years and you could argue that £20m of the £205m spent has been money well spent! You could argue that we may be less generous with our wage structure but its something that has to be taken into consideration when we were absent from the CL and the introduction of FFP - its not Football Manager but real life.

Anyways, onto the football side of things.

We do need a couple new faces in January despite spending over £100m over the summer on transfer which have failed miserably. Our primary objective should be to bring in a striker and secondly, a midfielder who can actually bring some presence into our midfield. However, before that we have to make do with what we have got and that means making some extremely tough decisions to wield results. I would try and play this team (should the players be available)...

Mignolet

Manquillo - Skrtel - Sakho - Moreno

Lucas

Henderson - Can

Lallana

Sterling - Sturridge

Subs: Jones, Flanagan, Toure, Gerrard, Allen, Coutinho, Borini

Despite spending heavily on the likes of Lovren, Lallana, Markovic and Balotelli, I believe we need to make some bold decisions and play the best 11 available. Players like Glen Johnson and Steven Gerrard need to make way for better players and understand that the team comes before individuals. Gerrard should not be starting matches week in-week out but should act as an option off the bench and perhaps start matches alongside either Can or Henderson (and not in the defensive midfield position he finds himself). It simply does not work when you do not have an outlet like Luis Suarez and when we are so shocking defensively anyway. Lucas Leiva needs to be playing the role as he is our best option at the moment.

So onto January. A striker is a must. Should that mean selling players to raise funds, then so be it. Glen Johnson, Joe Allen, Fabio Borini, Rickie Lambert and fringe players should be sold to allow a mobile striker such as Alexandre Lacazette or Wissam Ben Yedder to be brought in. Other options could be the most costly Jackson Martinez. All three players will suit our system and should score goals. Onto midfield and we should be looking at Morgan Schneiderlin, Yohan Cabaye or even William Carvalho. All three would get into our first team and improve fluidity as well as provide impetus further forward.

Other problems exist of course. Dejan Lovren has proved to be a shocking signing as has Lazar Markovic, Mario Balotelli and Rickie Lambert (£60m). Its rather shocking considering we have let Daniel Agger move on along with loaning out Jordon Ibe and Joao Texeira and simply refusing to allow Suso any game play (all four players could have provided the squad depth BR craved so much last summer). These problems need to be resolved next year though along with bringing in a quality goalkeeper.

For now, we need to play our strongest team as much as possible. Big name players need to be dropped, tactics need to be spot on and substitutions need to be made reactive rather than wait until the opposition equalise or take the lead. Its going to be a hard, long slog of a season but we seriously need to finish as high in the table as possible.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #10: Nov 08, 2014 08:11:40 pm
      Which one; Jürgen or his brother Kilppity?

Ah Klippity, one of those coaches that's clearly identifiable with a set rhythm to their play and ability to go through the gears. You'd have no doubt if you signed Klippity, he'd bring Trot and Gallop in with him, a formidable back room staff hay? :D
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #11: Nov 08, 2014 08:13:30 pm
      I'm going to break rank.

Rafa Benitez, we suffer till this very day from the void his leadership left.

Fair play mate. Obviously I don't agree with you but at least someone has been honest enough to admit what is the obvious subtext of most of the posts regarding the gaffer recently.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #12: Nov 08, 2014 08:19:00 pm
      Potential Solutions:

1) Change the personnel, stop picking the same damn XI
      2) Stop, for the love of god, stop playing Balotelli as a lone striker
      3) Same as above really but stop with the 4-5-1 it isn't suiting us at all
      4) Bring in Carragher as assistant manager / defensive coach
      5) Dare to drop Gerrard rather than rest him
      6) Dare to drop Johnson
      7) Dare to drop Lovren
      8) Get some intensity to our pressing
      9) Dare to scream at the lads from the sidelines instead of looking relatively content at us playing sh*t all year
      10) Buy someone worthy of the shirt to play up top in January
      11) Wrap Sturridge in cotton wool and scream every time any opposition breaths on him

They'd be, not in that particular order, my to do list.

Oh and make every c**t, including Gerrard, stay and work on their duties during the international break.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #13: Nov 08, 2014 08:22:30 pm
      Oh and make every c**t, including Gerrard, stay and work on their duties during the international break.

Off topic but I thought I heard them say during the commentary the Jose managed to prevent Spain from using Costa during the international break. Why the F**k can't we do that?

Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #14: Nov 08, 2014 08:25:02 pm
      Potential Solutions:

They'd be, not in that particular order, my to do list.

Oh and make every c**t, including Gerrard, stay and work on their duties during the international break

This.

It's a bloody cheek and a right middle finger to the fans when you see their twitter pages lapping up some sun on a beach during international breaks when we are this sh*t. They should be running through f**king walls at the moment.

They are f**king footballers earning a fortune to do a job which nobody is doing at the moment.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #15: Nov 08, 2014 08:26:15 pm
      Drop Stevie from DM or quarterback whatever you call it. It is causing disarray.
      He's not Pirlo, he is more gifted but no where near as tactical nor is our team.
      It is time for him to play less and further forward. He is my favourite liverpool player but emotion has to be put aside.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #16: Nov 08, 2014 08:26:22 pm
      First and foremost, I feel for our owners.

Really? Have a look at Henry's twitter account, have a look at all the LFC tweets he has made.

How many times have they been to the match? Have they been this season? I don't know if they have actually been this season.

Not being funny, but I could not give a F**k about the multimillionaires that own LFC.

We spent big this summer as we always do on multiple promising prospects. We need to spend huge on proven world class players like Chelsea, City and FFS even United do every year on just a few players.

Until that happens we will remain in the wilderness.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 524 posts |
      Reply #17: Nov 08, 2014 08:43:57 pm
      There is no way that Rodgers won't be given the full season. He worked miracles last year and lost his best player. In addition his second best player has hardly played. I am a massive Rafa fan but excellent cup runs aside he hasn't done enough since he left us in league competitions to warrant a risky return. I think that Sturridge and Flanagan would really help. However my concern is that we are already so far behind Chelsea when we finished ahead of them last year, and now 11 points behind Southampton. Given that Arsenal and City are Top 4 certainties most of the time , even our best 11 fit for the rest of the season may not be enough.

Perhaps our best 11 plus bench from January might look like this
      Cech (they might sell if they don't consider us a genuine force)
      Flanagan Toure Sakho Moreno (unlikely as Brendan isn't a huge Sakho fan)
      Lucas Can (unlikely as Brendan doesn't rate Lucas)
      Sterling Henderson Coutinho
      Sturridge

Subs Mignolet/Jones, Gerrard, Lallana, Manquilo, Lovren, Balotelli/new striker, Markovic

Allen and Can be interchangeable. Origi and Ilori coming back next year will be most welcome. Lambert was a cheap gamble that hasn't worked out. Brendan has a decision to make about balotelli and perhaps an impact sub and occasional diamond formations might stop him becoming a toxic presence or perhaps he ll need to sell him. I am not as convinced about Borini's work rate being enough as everyone else is. Given Sturridge's fragility a new striker in exchange for Borini or Balotelli may be difficult to avoid.

I am not convinced that Mignolet, Skrtel and Johnson have any further role to play for us. However given that our defenders play well for their countries a defensive coach could also potentially be a useful addition as they are all capable of performing better

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #18: Nov 08, 2014 09:02:54 pm
      it's at times like these I find solice listening to this man and his faith,raw honesty and beliefs..
      www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qGwRK18iGW4

As for a potential solution I really don't know..
      The overnight sensation would be a massive splash out on a proven goalscorer..The owners/management are just gonna have to break the bank to get someone in on 1st January 2015 who seriously can get us back to winning ways because I don't see anyone at our club who is capable of putting the ball into the goal right now..
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Reply #19: Nov 08, 2014 09:17:49 pm
      Looks like our only hope is the return of Danny and if BR can see sense Sakho.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #20: Nov 08, 2014 09:32:44 pm
      My first solution would be to get either Toure or Sakho into the team ASAP, or even both. They are the best headers of the ball we have in the squad, and it's crucial that we stop leaking chances and goals from set pieces. Equally, I would encourage both to be unfearful about putting their foot through it if in doubt or if pressured. It's about time we became significantly more uncimpromising throughout the whole team.

I'd start Emre Can off on a treadmill for a few hours a day to get him fit. He looks like a good player but looks like he's on 20 a day. From there I'd get him to play in front of the back four. He's got a lot to learn but while he's learning he'll add some much needed solidity and power to our team. Alongside him I'd play Gerrard, and give the captain a free role. Lets take the shackles off our most creative player and set him loose. Once again, brings a bit of hieght and power to the equation, we lack both.

In the short term I'd play Sterling in the 10 off Balotelli until Sturridge gets fit, then I'd play Sterling off the England man. I'd personally have the wide positions as my rotators, with a preference being for lallana left and Coutinho right. Henderson IMHO needs to be on the bench for a bit, and I'd play a fairly basic 4-4-1-1. I don't think we'll score loads, but Gerrard being free means we'll score more than we are now. We shouldn't though concede anywhere near so many.

In January I'd buy Berahino or Bony.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #21: Nov 08, 2014 09:39:43 pm
      Would we be happy if an Arab consortium or a Russian Tycoon came in for a total buyout?.. and injected a stupid amount of money into our transfer budget to deliver us that Premier League Holy Grail...and give us a lot more chance in todays Champions League battle.
      or is that too far fetched to consider?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,296 posts | 4942 
      Reply #22: Nov 08, 2014 10:05:34 pm
      A simple start to solving our problems would be if the manger woke up and realised his 'first team' has been sh*te virtually all season long and stopped being so loyal and drop them and pick players in form.

I say this without having seen the game today but judging by the comments on here it was the same old sh*te from the same old faces.

Quick Reply