Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Skrtel to join the 200 Premier League Club

Read 7825 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Skrtel to join the 200 Premier League Club
      Dec 03, 2014 03:54:50 pm
      Should Martin Skrtel play against Sunderland, and after his performance against Leicester that is in doubt, he will become only Liverpool's 12th player to make 200 Premier League appearances. (he will reach the milestone at some point as I expect him to play at least one more League game before his time with us is up)

He joins a list that includes legends like Fowler, Gerrard, Carragher, Hyypia, Reina, McManaman and Owen. Oh and David James is on the list too. Riise, Redknapp and Kuyt round out the current 11 to have reached the landmark.

Imagine that as a team;

Reina
      Carra Skrtel Sami Riise
      Kuyt Redknapp Gerrard McManaman
      Owen Fowler
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Re: Skrtel to join the 200 Premier League Club
      Reply #1: Dec 03, 2014 08:39:23 pm
      How Skrtel managed to get this ammount of games for us sums up why we didn't won a title in the last 25 years.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2: Dec 03, 2014 09:04:46 pm
      How Skrtel managed to get this ammount of games for us sums up why we didn't won a title in the last 25 years.
      Maybe it's because he was a decent defender up until last season!

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,326 posts | 773 
      Reply #3: Dec 03, 2014 09:33:54 pm
      Truly amazing statistic, considering some of his performances !
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #4: Dec 03, 2014 09:44:11 pm
      Our worst player - a truly horrific player now.
      Dynami:t
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #5: Dec 03, 2014 10:02:07 pm
      A scapegoat...

YNWA Skrtel!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #6: Dec 03, 2014 10:16:36 pm

That's a poor excuse - if ever there was a Liverpool player who is most undeserving of this, it is Skrtel.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #7: Dec 04, 2014 01:41:45 am
      That's a poor excuse - if ever there was a Liverpool player who is most undeserving of this, it is Skrtel.

Rubbish.

You don't became a regular starter under 4 different managers for no reason.

Whilst he has been under performing this season  it is very harsh to say that he is underserving of the honour.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #8: Dec 04, 2014 02:21:27 am
      holy sh*t, only 7 posts and another thread ruined by teenagers. Son of a Gun and George - f**k off back to NFL thanks.

congrats to Martin, it's been a joy watching him grow over the past few years. people always shat on about Agger's loyalty but Skrtel has always showed just as much loyalty and respect. and before any uneducated idiot brings up the time when he was benched for Carra and "complained" to Slovakian media, that was just team rotation and the manager trying to find his best players, I remember it well, and remember the idiots reading the situation the wrong way. I remember Skrtel's interview well, he was just doing his best to answer provoking questions.

Fantastic Liverpool man in the mould of Dirk Kuyt.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #9: Dec 04, 2014 03:10:00 am
      Can't believe Redknapp made 200 appearances.  :o

Always remember him being a bit of a sick note.
      Redangel

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #10: Dec 04, 2014 07:14:27 am
      holy sh*t, only 7 posts and another thread ruined by teenagers. Son of a Gun and George - f**k off back to NFL thanks.

congrats to Martin, it's been a joy watching him grow over the past few years. people always shat on about Agger's loyalty but Skrtel has always showed just as much loyalty and respect. and before any uneducated idiot brings up the time when he was benched for Carra and "complained" to Slovakian media, that was just team rotation and the manager trying to find his best players, I remember it well, and remember the idiots reading the situation the wrong way. I remember Skrtel's interview well, he was just doing his best to answer provoking questions.

Fantastic Liverpool man in the mould of Dirk Kuyt.

I agree, he was our player of the Season only 2 years ago, why he is the subject of such vitriol I do not know. He has not been at his best this season, I agree, but who has.
      Anyway, well done Martin and Congratulations. Now make them eat their words this weekend.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #11: Dec 04, 2014 07:45:36 am
      Hope he scores a header for us in his 200th match. We've been missing his goals this season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #12: Dec 04, 2014 08:37:49 am
      A bit ridiculous that Martin is getting criticised for this on here.

Fantastic achievement.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #13: Dec 04, 2014 11:57:08 am
      Did he make his debut at home to Havent and Waterlooville in the FA cup? If my memory recall also he had a knight mare too!!!

but to be fair it’s a great achievement for him... he’s always performed well when partnering a good CB
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #14: Dec 04, 2014 01:26:45 pm
      Congratulations. Isn't it a dream come true to feature 200 times for the great Liverpool Football Club?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #15: Dec 04, 2014 02:03:21 pm
      Hard to hate on a statistic like this! Gotta give the man credit because he was great for most of last season (including some stinkers) when he had one foot out the door. Amazing to think it was injuries that kept him here and 12 months on Agger is sold and Skrtel is first choice.

Score a header to celebrate the occasion, Martin!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #16: Dec 04, 2014 04:14:58 pm
      He might almost have 200 league appearances for us, doesn't mean he has been a great or even a good player for Liverpool though.

He is probably the most inconsistent player I've ever seen. One week he is an absolute rock and the next he looks as if he has never kicked a ball in his life before.

For that reason, he fits into the average category for me.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Reply #17: Dec 04, 2014 04:20:17 pm
      Rubbish.

You don't became a regular starter under 4 different managers for no reason.

Whilst he has been under performing this season  it is very harsh to say that he is underserving of the honour.

this all day.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #18: Dec 04, 2014 06:50:54 pm
      Well done Martin, despite what some dumb asses say he's been a great servant to us.
      If and when we get our sh*t together, he will be very important for us this season.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #19: Dec 04, 2014 07:03:46 pm
      In a game where defending seems to be becoming a bit of a lost art, where even the richest clubs struggle at times to find good defenders, Skrtel is something of an old fashioned centre half.
      He doesn't like to play too high a line, he likes players coming on to him and loves a tackle, can dominate in the air and isn't a bad passer. He gets a few goals as well.

He's come in for a lot of stick this season. Some deserved, a lot not deserved.
      He'll make the occasional mistake, as all centre backs do, but he gets back up and keeps going.
      He loves the club and isn't forever whining to the press (you hear that Agger? ).
      He's not the most gifted defender we've ever had, but I have never seen him give anything less than 100% on the pitch.
      He'll do for me.
      Well in Skrtel. Let's just hope BR remembers to bake you a cake ;)
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #20: Dec 04, 2014 07:06:42 pm
      All you calling Skrtel deserving of this are manipulated by your preconceptions and internet fads that perpetuate this myth that he is a decent defender (all that bullshit that he 'walks into a McDonalds and asks for a Burger King') - if ever there was a case of mass media being able to delude people, this is it. A bit like the way Toure is unfairly taken the piss out off by internet memes which makes people think he is sh*t. And player of the year for 2011/12? That's like polishing a turd considering how bad we were.

He is a player whose inadequacies have been covered up by much much better players around him over the last seven years.

Now in 2014, he is the most experienced Liverpool defender yet plays as if he's never played a game in his life. When we are desperately calling out for leaders on this forum, you'd think that a player who has been here for 7 years would be able to stand up and be counted, calling out for those around him. And it says it all when Toure comes in and looks like he's been playing here for seven years, leading the line and such, and Skrtel looking like the inexperienced one taking absolutely no responsibility. How many times he constantly passes backwards to players around him or the keeper, putting them under immense pressure makes Stewart Downing look like Iniesta. He constantly goes f**king AWOL, leaving the defensive midfielder to mop up the sh*t he's left behind (how many times did Lucas have to cover his position on Tuesday?). I also think the fact that poor Sakho looks like a fish out of water isn't just because his lack of English but because Skrtel doesn't f**king communicate with anyone.

So there you have it  - Martin Skrtel: looks like a serial killer, plays like a wimp.

By far our worst player.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #21: Dec 04, 2014 07:18:15 pm
      All you calling Skrtel deserving of this are manipulated by your preconceptions and internet fads that perpetuate this myth that he is a decent defender (all that bullshit that he 'walks into a McDonalds and asks for a Burger King') - if ever there was a case of mass media being able to delude people, this is it. A bit like the way Toure is unfairly taken the piss out off by internet memes which makes people think he is sh*t. And player of the year for 2011/12? That's like polishing a turd considering how bad we were.

He is a player whose inadequacies have been covered up by much much better players around him over the last seven years.

Now in 2014, he is the most experienced Liverpool defender yet plays as if he's never played a game in his life. When we are desperately calling out for leaders on this forum, you'd think that a player who has been here for 7 years would be able to stand up and be counted, calling out for those around him. And it says it all when Toure comes in and looks like he's been playing here for seven years, leading the line and such, and Skrtel looking like the inexperienced one taking absolutely no responsibility. How many times he constantly passes backwards to players around him or the keeper, putting them under immense pressure makes Stewart Downing look like Iniesta. He constantly goes f**king AWOL, leaving the defensive midfielder to mop up the sh*t he's left behind (how many times did Lucas have to cover his position on Tuesday?). I also think the fact that poor Sakho looks like a fish out of water isn't just because his lack of English but because Skrtel doesn't f**king communicate with anyone.

So there you have it  - Martin Skrtel: looks like a serial killer, plays like a wimp.

By far our worst player.

No fella, I'm basing my post on nearly 50 years of watching Liverpool.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #22: Dec 04, 2014 07:38:29 pm
      No fella, I'm basing my post on nearly 50 years of watching Liverpool.

I thought Skrtel had only been here 7 years didn't realise it was 50, no wonder he plays like a geriatric   ;D

Quick Reply