Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Liverpool 1:2 Aston Villa In game & post match "debate".

Read 38374 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Liverpool vs Aston Villa Live Match Thread - FA Cup Semi Final
      Reply #483: Apr 19, 2015 05:29:15 pm
      Balotelli's goal should have stood.

Redangel

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #484: Apr 19, 2015 05:29:31 pm
      Well played Aston Villa, you fully deserved that. We are supposed to Liverpool FC, were the f**k were we today? Over paid and over rated players who don't deserve to wear the shirt.

Have to agree, Villa well and truly deserved their win. We, on the other hand deserved nothing out of that game and that is exactly what we got.
      Over paid and over rated players, we sure as hell have more than our fair share of them. After that performance, let them leave, the ressies would do a better job anyway!

Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #485: Apr 19, 2015 05:29:36 pm
      Was a shambles today. No passion, no desire. Our bench is woeful. Who the F**k do we bring on to change a game? Rickie Lambert.

Honestly this team needs an overhaul, massively. Build around Coutinho, boy is amazing, but can't do everything himself.

Not much gripe with Brendan tbh, we've smashed teams playing this formation, blame is on the players. Feel like I could have done a better job today, and I'd have done it for minimum wage.

Also, congrats to Villa. Outplayed us the whole game, fully deserved their win. I was never confident about this going in and I was proved right.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #486: Apr 19, 2015 05:30:39 pm
      Utterly shameful performance devoid of any passion. At this particular moment, I find myself embarrassed to be a fan. If a player can't get themselves up for the chance to get to a cup final, then in my mind they should never put the shirt on again.

Not a particularly happy bunny ATM and right now I also feel we have gone as far as we can under BR's management. Three seasons with no success. Couldn't even win the league when we had the best player on the planet, with no European or cup competitions as a distraction and were scoring goals for fun. And don't get me started on the money wasted on sh*te during the last window...
      DanMann

• 5,797 posts | 892 
      Reply #487: Apr 19, 2015 05:35:10 pm
      Gerrard is leaving without Silverware  :f_wah:

Gerrard didn't deserve any.
      Redangel

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #488: Apr 19, 2015 05:36:29 pm
      How anyone can absolve Brendan of blame for the shambles that was today, I do not know! It seems to me that all of them should shoulder the blame, and those fans who attended deserve to be reimbursed by the club/ players/management.
      That was as gutless a performance as I've ever witnessed from a team representing this club, the fact it was a Wembley semi final just twists the knife even more!
      I am heartbroken, we seem to have lost our soul!
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,240 posts | 850 
      Reply #489: Apr 19, 2015 05:37:59 pm

No, he deserves a lot, kept taking us out of the hole so many times in his entire career, a trophy this season would have been deserved for all of his dedication and determination that he has given to this club.

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #490: Apr 19, 2015 05:38:33 pm
      Not too sure what's funny there Steve?

The linesman assuming part of your post
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #491: Apr 19, 2015 05:43:41 pm
      First off, forget the linesman, because when Balo scored, the entire Villa team had basically stopped playing. The linesman played a part but that defeat was all down to the Gaffer's team selection.

Gerrard should never have started after 12 games out. Can should have been in midfield, the Gaffer had enough right sided midfielders (Johnson, Manquillo) to play in Can's position

3 years on and today our defence looked as bad as ever. So much room behind the wing backs and a lack of communication between all involved. We got smashed by Arsenal and the mancs also dominated us with 3 at the back. Even Villa knew how to counter that. The warning signs were there since the Swansea game but weren't heeded.

If there is one issue I have with the Gaffer, it's that we always seem to implode in defence. And if you make a 3 or 4 formation changes during the game (and still have players out of position), then you look like you do not have faith in your selection at best and haven't got much of a clue at worst.

We also seem to bottle it when we're in a massive must win game. Big games require big mentality. So very wrong from in all departments from the start, wrong in the middle, and we never got out of jail as a result.

As for the players, I have this horrible feeling that they are not up for it because they are starting to doubt the Gaffer. And that's the beginning of the end. We heard rumours of discontent a few weeks ago, and I think there's something in it.

I also just heard the Gaffer came out and said "I thought Gerrard was excellent today." He also said "Sometimes you can want to win too much."

Really? Much better to come out and say we were sh*te, I was sh*te, and we deserved to be beaten.

Well, I said I'd judge the Gaffer after 3 seasons and that's what I will do. A lot could happen in the next 6 games and if we make 4th, I think this season would not be a total failure. Interesting to note that the Gaffer is the only Liverpool manager to go 3 seasons without winning a single trophy.

Most of us have been saying the Gaffer learns from his mistakes. Today for the first time I started to question that.

6 games to go.
      Michael-2015
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts |
      Reply #492: Apr 19, 2015 05:44:23 pm
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #493: Apr 19, 2015 05:46:31 pm
      The linesman assuming part of your post

Ah soz mate thought you were thinking I thought he called it right. I'm not saying we would have scored if he didn't flag though as like Ste Macca said a defender backed off when the flag went up but it was a poor decision.

Can somebody start a thread on Claire Rourke's hairdo? It gets on me tits and can give us somewhere else to go rather than the Rodgers out thread.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #494: Apr 19, 2015 05:51:42 pm
      I thought we were desperately poor, and complaining about a refereeing or linesman decision only seeks to fudge the fact in my eyes. Everyone connected with that performance from the manager through the coaches to the players ought to be ashamed of themselves. We were confused and without a coherant gameplan which has to be the fault of the manager, and added to that we failed to take responsibility and show character individually which has to be the fault of the players.

My ratings:

Mignolet: Did little wrong but also did little which was better than average, so therefore was one of the better players. 7/10.

Moreno: One suerb tackle where he was able to make use of his turbo charged pace, other than that absolutely awful. He may improve out of all recognition, but then again he may not. My hunch is that we've done our money. 5/10.

The future captain: Too easily sold for the second goal but in fairness it wasn't a bad piece of play by Delph and there wasn't a midfield player of ours in sight. The same applies to the first goal as Delph not only set the play up by taking two or three of our blokes out of it with a body swerve, but then ran past all of them to break onto our back four with none of our midfielders in view. Other than that, some solid defending and some timely interventions by the big man. Awful decision to go for the shot at the end, and on the two occasions that he muscled himself some room from corners ought to have headed it on target. There is obviously a player in there, but like many of ours today the mental strength and belief was lacking. 6/10.

Skrtel: Not his usual commanding self but was his first game back from suspension and was having to deal with a sieve like midfield shield. 6/10.

Can: Was targeted a bit in the first half but all in all I think he did OK. Not great by any means, but tried his bollocks off and by virtue of the fact he wasn't absolutely sh!te, my MOM. 7/10.

Markovic: Brutal. He may improve significantly, but then again he may not. My suspicion is that he will improve markedly, even to the extent where he may even be worth half as much as we paid for him one day. 3/10.

Allen: Inneffectual and utterly pointless display from Allen, and he was our best midfielder on the day. 5/10.

Henderson: He should take a video of this game home and watch what Fabian Delph does. There's a huge difference between "running around a lot" and actually running around with a purpose, with zip and penetration. It seems incredible to me that when we werelinked with Delph a few months back people scoffed and said we didn't need him because we had Henderson. jordan was awful today, and put in one of his hermit performances. Is this lad good enough? Really? I'm not so sure. 4/10.

Gerrard: Very poor on the day but at least he tried to put a tackle in now and then which was a bit of a rarity. 5/10.

Coutinho: Looked our most likely player all day but in truth utterly unlikely, which just about says it all really. 6/10.

Sterling: His contract situation has completely turned this lads head into a mush. Whether that's his fault, his agents fault, Brendans fault, Ayres's fault or anyone elses fault I don't know. It is a fact nonetheless. Poor today. 5/10.

Subs.

Ballotelli: Go home.4/10.

Lambert: Did as much as you could expect in three minutes.

The management team:

Brendan: Poor effort today. The team weren't up for it sufficiently, and it's the managers job to create a culture where that doesn't happen. 5/10.

Pascoe: I noticed him nodding his head at one point and unless Brendan was saying "Jesus we're sh!t aren't we?" I can't see what he was agreeing with. On a positive note he'd gelled his hair back a bit and dispensed with the centre parting, and as we all know no assistant manager worth his salts should have a centre parting (name me one who did? See what I mean?). Given the hairstyle change and the way he flourished the clipboard at Glen johnson (it had "play right back, keep it tight, if you can see your way to scoring a goal it wouldn't go amiss" written on it, I'm going to have to give him a 6/10. 

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #495: Apr 19, 2015 05:54:07 pm
      Ah soz mate thought you were thinking I thought he called it right. I'm not saying we would have scored if he didn't flag though as like Ste Macca said a defender backed off when the flag went up but it was a poor decision.

Can somebody start a thread on Claire Rourke's hairdo? It gets on me tits and can give us somewhere else to go rather than the Rodgers out thread.

No worries mate, your assessment of the post the lad who said the linesman basically assumed's post  just made me laugh.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #496: Apr 19, 2015 05:56:13 pm
      I actually thought Balotelli did ok considering he saw very little of the ball. Also should have had a goal allowed.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #497: Apr 19, 2015 05:59:28 pm
      I actually thought Balotelli did ok considering he saw very little of the ball. Also should have had a goal allowed.

He did. The truth about him though was revealed when he was given offside (correctly this time) with ten minutes left and proceeded to have a shot anyway, blasting it over the bar and into "it'll now take a minute to restart the game" territory. What he should have done is grabbed the ball and put it where the alleged offense had taken place, and immediately retreated ten yards to save us 45 seconds. Players who really want to win think about every single nuance of the game in order to maximise their potential advantage. We had a striker like that last season, he didn't blast it over the bar when he was offside unless we were 1-0 UP with ten minutes to go. 

DanMann

• 5,797 posts | 892 
      Reply #498: Apr 19, 2015 06:01:58 pm
      No, he deserves a lot, kept taking us out of the hole so many times in his entire career, a trophy this season would have been deserved for all of his dedication and determination that he has given to this club.

He's had trophies.

This season he has been awful, and sadly, we are better off without him. Rodgers genuinely struggles to put him in the team.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #499: Apr 19, 2015 06:02:04 pm
      I thought we were desperately poor, and complaining about a refereeing or linesman decision only seeks to fudge the fact in my eyes. Everyone connected with that performance from the manager through the coaches to the players ought to be ashamed of themselves. We were confused and without a coherant gameplan which has to be the fault of the manager, and added to that we failed to take responsibility and show character individually which has to be the fault of the players.

My ratings:

Mignolet: Did little wrong but also did little which was better than average, so therefore was one of the better players. 7/10.

Moreno: One suerb tackle where he was able to make use of his turbo charged pace, other than that absolutely awful. He may improve out of all recognition, but then again he may not. My hunch is that we've done our money. 5/10.

The future captain: Too easily sold for the second goal but in fairness it wasn't a bad piece of play by Delph and there wasn't a midfield player of ours in sight. The same applies to the first goal as Delph not only set the play up by taking two or three of our blokes out of it with a body swerve, but then ran past all of them to break onto our back four with none of our midfielders in view. Other than that, some solid defending and some timely interventions by the big man. Awful decision to go for the shot at the end, and on the two occasions that he muscled himself some room from corners ought to have headed it on target. There is obviously a player in there, but like many of ours today the mental strength and belief was lacking. 6/10.

Skrtel: Not his usual commanding self but was his first game back from suspension and was having to deal with a sieve like midfield shield. 6/10.

Can: Was targeted a bit in the first half but all in all I think he did OK. Not great by any means, but tried his bollocks off and by virtue of the fact he wasn't absolutely sh!te, my MOM. 7/10.

Markovic: Brutal. He may improve significantly, but then again he may not. My suspicion is that he will improve markedly, even to the extent where he may even be worth half as much as we paid for him one day. 3/10.

Allen: Inneffectual and utterly pointless display from Allen, and he was our best midfielder on the day. 5/10.

Henderson: He should take a video of this game home and watch what Fabian Delph does. There's a huge difference between "running around a lot" and actually running around with a purpose, with zip and penetration. It seems incredible to me that when we werelinked with Delph a few months back people scoffed and said we didn't need him because we had Henderson. jordan was awful today, and put in one of his hermit performances. Is this lad good enough? Really? I'm not so sure. 4/10.

Gerrard: Very poor on the day but at least he tried to put a tackle in now and then which was a bit of a rarity. 5/10.

Coutinho: Looked our most likely player all day but in truth utterly unlikely, which just about says it all really. 6/10.

Sterling: His contract situation has completely turned this lads head into a mush. Whether that's his fault, his agents fault, Brendans fault, Ayres's fault or anyone elses fault I don't know. It is a fact nonetheless. Poor today. 5/10.

Subs.

Ballotelli: Go home.4/10.

Lambert: Did as much as you could expect in three minutes.

The management team:

Brendan: Poor effort today. The team weren't up for it sufficiently, and it's the managers job to create a culture where that doesn't happen. 5/10.

Pascoe: I noticed him nodding his head at one point and unless Brendan was saying "Jesus we're sh!t aren't we?" I can't see what he was agreeing with. On a positive note he'd gelled his hair back a bit and dispensed with the centre parting, and as we all know no assistant manager worth his salts should have a centre parting (name me one who did? See what I mean?). Given the hairstyle change and the way he flourished the clipboard at Glen johnson (it had "play right back, keep it tight, if you can see your way to scoring a goal it wouldn't go amiss" written on it, I'm going to have to give him a 6/10. 

Balotelli was easily better than Henderson and Allen.
      rossyred

• 9,313 posts | 1671 
      Reply #500: Apr 19, 2015 06:03:37 pm
      Too many square pegs in round holes. And for those slating Balotelli who did more in Ten mins than sterling. Can showed up at times and clearly not a right back , Johnson should have been on at RB and should have started . Delph made more forward runs in one half than all our midfield. Flanagan is sorely missed not just ability but someone who actually gives a s##t. Markovic,Moreno and Lovren and absolutely woeful
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #501: Apr 19, 2015 06:06:34 pm
      Too many square pegs in round holes. And for those slating Balotelli who did more in Ten mins than sterling. Can showed up at times and clearly not a right back , Johnson should have been on at RB and should have started . Delph made more forward runs in one half than all our midfield. Flanagan is sorely missed not just ability but someone who actually gives a s##t. Markovic,Moreno and Lovren and absolutely woeful

Johnson shouldn't have started because we didn't start with 4 at the back.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #502: Apr 19, 2015 06:07:48 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #503: Apr 19, 2015 06:09:47 pm
      Strong second half performance by LFC

You're taking the piss right?

As bad a second half performance as I can remember.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #504: Apr 19, 2015 06:10:28 pm
      Devastated at today's result. Now we will have to play a premier league standard side in the final.

Making Aston Villa look like Bayern Munich. Utterly pathetic.

"Football Superpower".

I'm fine with oppo fans on here, but this is massive cuntishness.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Re: Liverpool 1:2 Aston Villa In game & post match "debate".
      Reply #505: Apr 19, 2015 06:12:04 pm
      I'm at a bit of a loss right now if I'm honest.

I think I was pinning more hope on winning the Cup than I realised.

Strange feeling right now.

Quick Reply