Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

2015-2016 Formation

Read 37252 times
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Re: 2015-2016 Formation
      Reply #161: Jul 25, 2015 10:26:56 pm
      I'd rather left and right back just pass the ball to players on the wings in the midfield rather than them having to be Roberto Carlos's. So my formation is a back to basics 4 4 2. Solid formation.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #162: Jul 25, 2015 10:37:20 pm
      Man there's an awesome comeback here but I can't for the life of me think of it! :D

He would have been better off saying she walked funny afterwards!

That would have been my comeback  ;D
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #163: Jul 25, 2015 10:39:50 pm
      Because he's a very good defender both on the ground and in the air.

He can play the high line that Brendan normally favours.

He is easily our best passer of the ball from the back and as well as being able to keep possession and beat a man he almost always looks for a decisive attacking ball forward when  playing out from the back.

Strong and has leadership qualities.

Seems a great character.

What's not to love about Sakho should be the question.

I'd say Sakho was our most purposeful passer of the ball from the back, close his angles and put him under some pressure and he is still susceptible to some very woeful decisions with the ball at his feet. That's the biggest part of his game that needs to improve IMHO
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,314 posts | 769 
      Reply #164: Jul 25, 2015 11:03:05 pm
      Quite a few changes in the formation for the season coming up. Think it is fair to say we'll all settle for a winning formation, from the first game of the season onwards.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #165: Jul 25, 2015 11:04:25 pm
      I'd say Sakho was our most purposeful passer of the ball from the back, close his angles and put him under some pressure and he is still susceptible to some very woeful decisions with the ball at his feet. That's the biggest part of his game that needs to improve IMHO

I think if you put any CB under enough pressure they'll make some mistakes Scott but I think Sakho copes as well as any in this league adn as I said he doesn't just look for the easy ball all the time when he has it.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,530 posts | 1517 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #166: Jul 25, 2015 11:38:46 pm
      Like someone said, that team looks capable when it has the ball, but I'm not so sure about it when we don't have the ball.

Can't help shake the feeling our central defenders might not be tight enough as a unit.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #167: Jul 26, 2015 06:57:22 am
      I'd rather left and right back just pass the ball to players on the wings in the midfield rather than them having to be Roberto Carlos's. So my formation is a back to basics 4 4 2. Solid formation.

4-4-2  for me all day long , especially with the players we have signed . plus Coutinho could always play behind a striker and in front of the two CM's to go 4-4-1-1
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #168: Jul 26, 2015 07:43:50 am
      4-4-2  for me all day long , especially with the players we have signed . plus Coutinho could always play behind a striker and in front of the two CM's to go 4-4-1-1

4 4 2 in no way gets the best out if our best players.

You playing Phil and Firmino as wide men then?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #169: Jul 26, 2015 09:25:25 am
      I doubt we will play 4-4-2 but it would be tempting until Sturridge is fit.

Mignolet

Clyne            Skrtel              Sakho          Gomez

Can
                    Henderson         Milner   

Coutinho

Firmino
                                   Benteke

Both Henderson and Milner are comfortable playing wide when required, but most of the width would still have to come from our fullbacks.

littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #170: Jul 26, 2015 10:00:05 am
      4 4 2 in no way gets the best out if our best players.

You playing Phil and Firmino as wide men then?

mignolet

clyne      skrtel          sakho     gomez

milner      can      henderson   lallana

coutinho

benteke

I feel this gives the CBS cover with either one of the CMs pushing forward while the other sits. also, milner and clyne would play well as a unit on the right side.
      It would also make subs going into their correct roles instead of square pegs in round holes. IMO
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #171: Jul 26, 2015 04:40:57 pm
      I doubt we will play 4-4-2 but it would be tempting until Sturridge is fit.

Mignolet

Clyne            Skrtel              Sakho          Gomez

Can
                    Henderson         Milner   

Coutinho

Firmino
                                   Benteke

Both Henderson and Milner are comfortable playing wide when required, but most of the width would still have to come from our fullbacks.

I think that there would  be no width in that set up. Everything would go down the middle, with Benteke becoming isolated. Also with the DM and two CMs  too close to each other. We would end up playing the game in our own half, our midfielders dont run with the ball.

Thats what i think anyway.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #172: Jul 26, 2015 04:45:59 pm
      I think that there would  be no width in that set up. Everything would go down the middle, with Benteke becoming isolated. Also with the DM and two CMs  too close to each other. We would end up playing the game in our own half, our midfielders dont run with the ball.

Thats what i think anyway.

If you watch any of our preseason games you will see Hendo and Milner running loads with the ball.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,628 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #173: Jul 27, 2015 12:10:29 am
      Given we won't start the season with Sturridge,
      I wouldn't mind us reverting to 4-2-3-1.
      We'll probably be 4-3-3 with Lucas the deepest of the midfield 3, behind Henderson and Milner.

Mignolet

Clyne     Skrtel     Sakho (Please) Gomez

Lucas
                            Hendo               Milner

Firmino                         Coutinho
                                       Benteke

But I'd rather

Mignolet

Clyne       Skrtel       Sakho        Gomez

Hendo       Milner

Ibe/Lallana          Coutinho         Firmino

Benteke

Either way, looks stronger than last season.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #174: Jul 27, 2015 10:16:27 am
      He can play the high line that Brendan normally favours.
      I'm not sure Brendan "normally favours" a high line Si: at least not in the fashion most fans, on here, believe to be a "high line".

When we play four at the back we, most definitely don't play with a flat back four; instead we opt for our two full-backs pushing on. When this happens [i.e. every game], the "high" defensive line is provided by the (one, sometimes two) holding midfield player(s); with our two centre-halves sweeping behind and covering the full-backs.

That [sweeping and covering] is vital to how we "normally" play Si. If we were to play our centre-backs in what a lot of fans call "a high line" - we would be ate and sh*t alive.

With a bit of luck - Mama will stay injury free long enough to play alongside Martin because, in my opinion they are, undoubtedly the two best exponents of that role [how we normally play]. Failing that - hopefully Dejan will have learned what the role entails and be able to recognise when space needs covered... without having to be told every time.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #175: Jul 27, 2015 09:43:32 pm
      Emre Can will most likely stay as a defender, it's not something I wanted but it may be a necessity. So, some formations may need to include this, Emre Can as a CB.
      Can't wait for the new season to begin, the only solid formation we can have is four at the back, I say 442, or 433 (this is my favourite formation), 32131 etc and all that malarkey, it's all the same difference.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #176: Jul 28, 2015 05:50:14 am
      Well this is why I had such a huge problem with him being named captain.

First of all my own personal belief is that he's hugely overrated and has only had about 6 consistent months of top football since being here (from Christmas of 2013 to the end of the 2013/14 season).  I don't even think he's good enough to be at the club, let alone captain of it.  Some might say that's harsh; but even his most ardent supporters would have to admit that he's not a world-beater, and he goes missing way too often.  Just go look at his thread and read back throughout the season to see how many people were questioning why he was invisible during some of our biggest games. 

The issue I have is that as captain, he's practically guaranteed a starting position for the rest of his career with us.  Are you telling me that he is not only a top player, but in fact he is SO good that his starting position should never, EVER be called into question?  we're talking about a player who goes missing almost as much as Allen---that is the level of play that now earns you the status of "undroppable"?  it's really sort of scary when you think about it.

And don't tell me that sometimes the captain gets dropped---I would love to know how many teams in the league over the last few years dropped their captain based on form.  Occasionally they don't play because of injury etc but never do they say "okay, you're just not good enough, let's give someone else a go at your position."

I don't dislike him personally.  He seems to be a nice lad with a good attitude.  But I would hope that considering that just a few years ago we had a midfield of Xabi, Masch and Stevie, that we aspire to have more class in midfield than someone like Jordan Henderson.  But making him captain means that he IS essentially the first midfielder on the teamsheet.  And that to me is frightening.  I want players who never go missing and who have top, top talent to be first on the teamsheet.  That's not the case with Jordan.

I agree, i have never seen anything in Henderson. The fact he is now captain really makes my head spin. He has been truly awful in many games , yet cannot be substituted for some reason
      CAN has to start for me.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #177: Jul 28, 2015 10:41:38 am
      Emre Can will most likely stay as a defender, it's not something I wanted but it may be a necessity. So, some formations may need to include this, Emre Can as a CB.
      Can't wait for the new season to begin, the only solid formation we can have is four at the back, I say 442, or 433 (this is my favourite formation), 32131 etc and all that malarkey, it's all the same difference.

Not sure why you think Can will stay as a defender in a back 4. It seems pretty obvious to me that he'll be used in midfield as rotation.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,577 posts | 1805 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #178: Jul 28, 2015 10:53:01 am
      Not sure why you think Can will stay as a defender in a back 4. It seems pretty obvious to me that he'll be used in midfield as rotation.

Im with you mate. No chance Can will be used as CB, unless we are having a really bad time of it with injuries.

ffs. we have all these CB's at the club.

1) Skrtel
      2) Sahko
      3) Toure
      4) Lovren
      5) Gomez
      6) Wisdom
      7) Llori

The younger guys are playing as FB's while they learn thier trade, just like most CB's do at a young age.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #179: Jul 28, 2015 04:12:53 pm
      looking at the players bought and there distance covered stats it looks like we are going to play a pressing then attack style rather than a counter attackign style so i would set up 4-1-2-3 with the brazilans and a CF as the 3
                                                Migs
                  Clyne             Skrtel   Sakho       Moreno/Gomez

Can(DM)But is covered by Milner/Hendo if/when he bombs on a run

Hendo            Milner

Firmino                    Coutino

Big Ben
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4412 
      Reply #180: Jul 28, 2015 04:32:48 pm
      http://www.empireofthekop.com/2015/07/28/a-pressing-concern-going-into-the-new-season/

Interesting read, suggesting there wont be a huge change in our defensive performances.

I tend to agree with the analysis.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #181: Jul 28, 2015 04:43:09 pm
      http://www.empireofthekop.com/2015/07/28/a-pressing-concern-going-into-the-new-season/

Interesting read, suggesting there wont be a huge change in our defensive performances.

I tend to agree with the analysis.

I suppose that doesn't take into account any of our new coaching staff and what they may bring to that equation?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4412 
      Reply #182: Jul 28, 2015 04:46:58 pm
      I suppose that doesn't take into account any of our new coaching staff and what they may bring to that equation?

I hope your right but I think the philosophy will not change, outscore the opposition  ;)

Maybe SOD can make Rodgers see his defensive blind spot.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,577 posts | 1805 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #183: Jul 28, 2015 04:58:09 pm
      Maybe Im a wierdo, but Im not that fussed about defence being much better than last seaon, it was much better than season before. It was lack of goals that cost us last season.

Defensive bonus points....

1) Mings is a lot better than he was during his 1st season and a 1/2, being dropped squared him up
      2) Johnson is gone
      3) clyne looks solid as F~@k
      4) Sahko & Lovren are another season into thier LFC careers they must be settled now.
      5) Sktrel buzzing after new contract
      6) Moreno is also season into his career at LFC, will be better too.

Add to that promising lads like Gomez & Llori and the legend of kolo staying around, Im quite comfertable with defence.

#thinkpositive

Quick Reply