Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Will the Redmen win their first home game of the season?

Yes - easy 3 points
      71 (92.2%)
      Draw - points dropped
      3 (3.9%)
      Lose - surely not !
      3 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pre Match: Liverpool v AFC Bournemouth Mon 17th August 20:00 KO

Read 24438 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Liverpool v AFC Bournemouth Mon 17th August 20:00 KO
      Reply #92: Aug 14, 2015 11:15:22 pm
      I'd give Ibe another shot from the start, and if Rodgers decided to go 4-2-3-1 again, Firminho instead of Lallana from the start.

If it's 4-3-3, I'd give Benteke, Ibe and Coutinho the go ahead in the attacking trio.

I wouldn't bomb young Ibe out for a disappointing first game.

I agree, on Firmino instead of Lallana, some talk doing the rounds that Firmino is a "committee" signing so it will be interesting to see how Brendan chooses to use him. There's been official releases that he's a few weeks behind in terms of fitness, which is of course to be expected so perhaps expecting him to start now is a little optimistic but I was bitterly disappointed in Lallana's performance against Stoke and would be much happier persisting with Ibe ahead of him.

If we go 4-3-3 as I'd personally prefer I'd love to see Can get the nod, think he unlocks the shackles in our midfield and actually makes us a truly cohesive unit, of course that's on a 25 minute viewing against a tiring Stoke so hardly conclusive.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #93: Aug 14, 2015 11:22:45 pm
      If we go 4-3-3 as I'd personally prefer I'd love to see Can get the nod, think he unlocks the shackles in our midfield and actually makes us a truly cohesive unit, of course that's on a 25 minute viewing against a tiring Stoke so hardly conclusive.

I actually think Can is better offensively than Hendo & Milner, so I think it's a waste to have him as a DM, but then, it's also a waste to have Hendo or Milner sitting too.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #94: Aug 14, 2015 11:25:53 pm
      I agree, on Firmino instead of Lallana, some talk doing the rounds that Firmino is a "committee" signing so it will be interesting to see how Brendan chooses to use him.

I was under the impression that things were being done differently now...apparently this is not true? first I have heard of it.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #95: Aug 14, 2015 11:30:09 pm
      I actually think Can is better offensively than Hendo & Milner, so I think it's a waste to have him as a DM, but then, it's also a waste to have Hendo or Milner sitting too.

Couldn't agree more fella, think you and I share a very similar opinion on Can in that he'd make the perfect box-to-box midfielder, it's just that it's clear Brendan is going to use him in that role having already informed his national coach the same, so basically I'm accepting this for the time being. It is though a rather strange one because we have 3 players who share very similar attributes in Milner, Henderson and Allen, obviously Allen having the least talent of the 3 yet none of them are really that suited to the defensive midfield slot. Can on the other hand looks capable of certainly filling the box-to-box role and also adapting to the DLPM role but as a pure DM I think he might get exposed. There's less chance of this with Milner and Henderson ahead of him as both are extremely diligent and are unlikely to leave him exposed.

I do believe in playing these 3 together though we sacrifice a lot in terms of creativity and having to play Coutinho from the wide area but I'm much happier seeing that formation than the one that started against Stoke.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #96: Aug 14, 2015 11:36:50 pm
      this will be a good test to see how ruthless and hungry we are.We should beat them quite easily but if we are not "on it" the game can be a struggle.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #97: Aug 14, 2015 11:37:12 pm
      I was under the impression that things were being done differently now...apparently this is not true? first I have heard of it.

Only a few snippets mate and it could be twitter talk, as for differently mate it's been confirmed from Ayre that things are exactly the same as they ever were, we were just much luckier with how the cards fell in terms of player acquisition this year.

In terms of committee signing, while Brendan will always have last say I think we'd all accept that there's always going to be compromise and players that are more his own suggestion than others. Personally I think it's very clear to see that Borini, Allen, Lallana, Lovren, Benteke were the signings Brendan had most influence on targetting, Firmino is being suggested as a committee signing but by all means don't take that as gospel just yet.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #98: Aug 14, 2015 11:53:25 pm

Good point. It seems hard to nail Can as either an attacking mid or a defensive one. I understand why you'd say that. He looks box- to-box overall. I would have no problems (personally) opting for Can & Milner/Henderson as the further forward midfielders, with a typical sitter like Lucas or better behind them. I think Can could play deeper, not quite as well just yet at reading the game from there like Lucas; but in doing that you'd be playing him in a position that takes the opportunity away from his attacking game.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #99: Aug 15, 2015 12:31:43 am
      Couldn't agree more fella, think you and I share a very similar opinion on Can in that he'd make the perfect box-to-box midfielder, it's just that it's clear Brendan is going to use him in that role having already informed his national coach the same, so basically I'm accepting this for the time being.

Even the great Jan Molby feels the same way :)

I don’t see Emre Can playing that holding role. I don’t think he has the mindset or the discipline for it as he will feel he has more to offer further up the pitch.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/molby-liverpool-fc-should-keep-9854785

Can on the other hand looks capable of certainly filling the box-to-box role and also adapting to the DLPM role but as a pure DM I think he might get exposed. There's less chance of this with Milner and Henderson ahead of him as both are extremely diligent and are unlikely to leave him exposed.

As for the DLPM, I see where you are coming from, especially how he likes to play those long or medium balls into the wide areas, or diagonal balls into forward runners, but I believe a DLPM is similar to a DM role, so either role, Can for me will get exposed if our box-box players are not disciplined enough. And also, I prefer my DLPM's to be dictators (pass masters) on the ball.

I do believe in playing these 3 together though we sacrifice a lot in terms of creativity and having to play Coutinho from the wide area but I'm much happier seeing that formation than the one that started against Stoke.

On paper, I don't like it, but we have yet to see it functional live, so whilst I'm apprehensive about them playing together, I'm also excited and curious to see what Rodgers has in store when he plays the trio.
      Creativity wise, I agree, we could lose out a lot especially if Firmino and Coutinho are shafted out wide, but I think it'll be ok if we play the 442 diamond and have Firmino support Benteke so he doesn't become isolated with Coutinho #10.

I would have no problems (personally) opting for Can & Milner/Henderson as the further forward midfielders

I would have Can, Hendo and Milner to battle it out for the 2 box-box roles in a 442 diamond with Allen as 4th choice.

I think Can could play deeper, not quite as well just yet at reading the game from there like Lucas

It's the short passing that worries me mostly about Can if he does play deeper. Yes, he has composure on the ball and is a wonderful ball carrier, but if you look at the exceptional or world class DM/DLPM's, what really sets them apart is their ability to keep the ball ticking and manipulate the play, something Can can not do but Lucas can.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #100: Aug 15, 2015 12:34:14 am

The problem here is BR failed to buy a proper DM and he still doesn't do anything about it after 3 seasons.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #101: Aug 15, 2015 12:42:10 am
      The problem here is BR failed to buy a proper DM and he still doesn't do anything about it after 3 seasons.

I agree, especially seeing how Rodgers spoke recently about having the same philosophy and that nothings changed. Whether it's a DM or DLPM, I still feel they are similar, the only huge difference for me is one is more creative and the other is more defensive, but essentially, they patrol the defensive areas and keep the play ticking.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #102: Aug 15, 2015 01:26:48 pm
      Hey this is not a big game,but go out there,play like its a derby and win this game.
      None of our players should be relaxed and thinkging "we will win this easy",newcomers should be given the chance from the beggining and they should be eager to show what they got.If everything goes ok than we should smash three or four goals in the back of their net,and i would be happy to see Coutinho scoring again.
      rossyred

• 9,313 posts | 1671 
      Reply #103: Aug 15, 2015 01:38:40 pm
      Couldn't agree more fella, think you and I share a very similar opinion on Can in that he'd make the perfect box-to-box midfielder, it's just that it's clear Brendan is going to use him in that role having already informed his national coach the same, so basically I'm accepting this for the time being. It is though a rather strange one because we have 3 players who share very similar attributes in Milner, Henderson and Allen, obviously Allen having the least talent of the 3 yet none of them are really that suited to the defensive midfield slot. Can on the other hand looks capable of certainly filling the box-to-box role and also adapting to the DLPM role but as a pure DM I think he might get exposed. There's less chance of this with Milner and Henderson ahead of him as both are extremely diligent and are unlikely to leave him exposed.

Doesnt have the stamina required to do box to box
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #104: Aug 15, 2015 02:12:01 pm
      Doesnt have the stamina required to do box to box

It didn't help him spending last season at centre back.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #105: Aug 15, 2015 04:21:32 pm
      Poll added...

They are all big games...doesn't matter if we're playing City or Bournemouth, it's the 3 points that count !!

Come on you mighty reds !!

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #106: Aug 15, 2015 06:34:38 pm
      We need a win obviously, but I think it's important to play well too.

If we don't, then there will be much doubts ahead of the Arsenal game.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5032 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #107: Aug 15, 2015 06:43:06 pm
      It's all change for me,

Mignolet
         Clyne Skrtel Lovren Gomez
              Henderson Can Milner
                          Coutinho
                      Benteke Firmino

The side that started V Stoke was pretty much ideal for ensuring we didn’t get overrun whilst maintaining a threat going forward, Brendan changed tact introduced Can and suddenly we became a more potent threat set the stokies on the backfoot,

We won't be doing that at home V B'mouth, I want us to force them backwards from the off, and slowly and meticulously batter them into submission, death by football, that team above need to be played regularly it is for me the strongest X1 at this juncture,

We have ample back up with, Lallana Ibe, Ings Divock and Lucas if required,

We have the Goons up next away so it's possible it could change again, but I'd stick with this X1 and let them gel as a unit

3-0 mighty Reds

YNWA

MsGerrard
      Reply #108: Aug 15, 2015 06:52:52 pm
      Hmmmm.......we have someone on here who actually think we're gonna lose this game  :mad:

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #109: Aug 15, 2015 07:04:01 pm
      I want to vote win, but I don't like the way it says 'easy'

Asking for trouble with that one, because I genuinely don't think it'll be that simple.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #110: Aug 15, 2015 07:57:23 pm
      Hmmmm.......we have someone on here who actually think we're gonna lose this game  :mad:

There's always at least one, Cas, regardless of who the opposition are.  :roll:
      MsGerrard
      Reply #111: Aug 15, 2015 08:08:43 pm
      I want to vote win, but I don't like the way it says 'easy'

Asking for trouble with that one, because I genuinely don't think it'll be that simple.

It should be an easy 3 points though LR, but I know what you mean, I'm just hoping it will be ;)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #112: Aug 15, 2015 08:09:51 pm
      There's always at least one, Cas, regardless of who the opposition are.  :roll:

Is right HTH and we don't half have some negative f*****s on here  :lmao:
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #113: Aug 15, 2015 08:22:18 pm
      Is right HTH and we don't half have some negative f*****s on here  :lmao:

Aye, we do.

Bournemouth will be fired up for this, but we have too much quality if we don't take the outcome for granted.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #114: Aug 15, 2015 09:22:50 pm
      Aye, we do.

Bournemouth will be fired up for this, but we have too much quality if we don't take the outcome for granted.

I'm sure Bournemouth will make it a party atmosphere but as long as we remain focused and positive we shouldn't have a problem, although I'm not taking anything for granted of course, just looking forward to being back at Anfield, seeing the progression of the main stand and being back in the KOP  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Quick Reply