Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      10 (6.3%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.6%)
      Joe Gomez
      53 (33.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      30 (19%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      2 (1.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      8 (5.1%)
      Emre Can
      4 (2.5%)
      James Milner
      12 (7.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      30 (19%)
      Christian Benteke
      8 (5.1%)
      Jordan Rossiter
      0 (0%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 152

Voting closed: Aug 28, 2015 09:54:59 pm

Arsenal 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 48022 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Arsenal 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #667: Aug 24, 2015 10:41:52 pm
      If you'd offered me a point before the match I'd have bit your hand off but got to say I'm disappointed at a draw after that first half performance. Sooner Sturridge is back the better. Still, seven points from our first three games is a good start to the season, especially given we have more tough games ahead of us.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #668: Aug 24, 2015 10:43:54 pm
      I know exactly why Brendan made that change and my point was more to highlight that if Lucas is off we need to act in the transfer market.

If we sell Lucas, then we need a proven viable replacement, not just any replacement, but I don't know who is viable. I thought Rossiter coped well with Arsenal today - basically thrown into the lions den at such a tender age and we shouldn't be too quick to pass judgement on him.

We've barely even seen him play yet some think 'nah, not good enough'.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5033 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #669: Aug 24, 2015 10:44:04 pm
      Can't find any faults in our game tonight, Moreno i think is more suited to be a winger than a defender.

Benteke was ripping them to shreds, gutted he didn't score on that chance, but i bet he'll score at least 2 against West Ham.

Firmino played a decent game, linked up well with his teammates and gave an assist to Big Ben, he isn't 100 % match fit, so we can only expect better from him. Clyne and Gomez were fantastic, Skrtel and Lovren played good too, bar that mistake at the start of the match.

George,
      I had to read your post twice, was it really you that wrote it, only joking, credit where it's due fella, I've blasted a lot of your posts so to see one praising rather being critical is very welcome,
      What's changed mate, did you get your willy wet or something,  ;D

Keep it up fella, no pun intended  ;)

YNWA
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #670: Aug 24, 2015 10:44:59 pm
      If you'd offered me a point before the match I'd have bit your hand off but got to say I'm disappointed at a draw after that first half performance. Sooner Sturridge is back the better. Still, seven points from our first three games is a good start to the season, especially given we have more tough games ahead of us.

I think to get four points away to Stoke and Arsenal is a very good return, considering our performances there at the end of last season...
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,929 posts | 824 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #671: Aug 24, 2015 10:50:45 pm
      Great result. Performed well in the first half, we were very professional in the second half.

Benteke is a beast, our defense as a whole were brilliant.

On another day Coutinho's shots would of went in, so would have Benteke ' s. 

Positive performance and now onto West Ham where hopefully we can pick up another win and have an unbeaten record going into the UTD game. 
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #672: Aug 24, 2015 10:52:50 pm
      Think my blood pressure has dropped enough for me to sleep now.

Great point delighted.

Night all.

YNWA
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #673: Aug 24, 2015 10:54:52 pm
      Wrong wrong wrong again!

We were soaking up huge pressure before Lucas came off we had to stay compact in defence and switch like for like or Arsenal likely likely have found a way through.
      First Off let me say that this was one of the best games that I have ever seen Lucas play in having said that....

Have you ever heard of the saying "The Best Form Of Defense Is Attack"?.... If there were two strikers for Arsenal to worry about The would have to leave at least One extra man back... Takes the press off of mid-field and in turn the back four..... There is more than one way to play a game
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #674: Aug 24, 2015 10:58:11 pm
      First Off let me say that this was one of the best games that I have ever seen Lucas play in having said that....

Have you ever heard of the saying "The Best Form Of Defense Is Attack"?.... If there were two strikers for Arsenal to worry about The would have to leave at least One extra man back... Takes the press off of mid-field and in turn the back four..... There are more than one way to play a game

Manager was happy to take a point on the road, he played the smart (maybe not the sexiest) but the smart percentage game and the substitutions were spot on; going Kamikaze for the last 20 is probably not the path best taken at the Emirates the 3rd match of the season.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #675: Aug 24, 2015 10:58:53 pm
      Excellent team performance. Could have been game over by half time but for some great goalkeeping. 7 points when before the season started I would have expected no more than 4, have to be delighted.

Not even going to try to look for negatives or where we could have improved , good result, good performance .... good night. 
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #676: Aug 24, 2015 11:01:10 pm
      Manager was happy to take a point on the road, he played the smart (maybe not the sexiest) but the smart percentage game and the substitutions were spot on; going Kamikaze for the last 20 is probably not the path best taken at the Emirates the 3rd match of the season.

He did play smart, just believe that he could still have achieved it and give us a bit more going forward for the last 15 mins is all
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #677: Aug 24, 2015 11:03:36 pm
      He did play smart, just believe that he could still have achieved it and give us a bit more going forward for the last 15 mins is all

And leave us open to losing the game.

Then people would have had a field day saying he couldn't close out the game.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #678: Aug 24, 2015 11:03:56 pm
      Absolutely proud of every single player out there tonight, a real team performance with some excellent individual skills by some players, was hard to pick a man of the match but I went for Skrtel as I thought he was superb at the back, Gomez continues to impress with each game and Benteke is a real beast and for a big fella he can't half move !!

Felt we deserved more than the one point, but I'd have took that before the game, onwards and upwards though and it's all looking good.

Keep up the good work lads, West Ham, be very worried  ;D

Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,938 posts | 285 
      Reply #679: Aug 24, 2015 11:07:34 pm
      Would like to see Markovic get a game instead of Ibe now - he's had a good few minutes over 3 games, but hasn't offered enough. Take him out the limelight a bit and ease him in again, while giving Markovic a run to try prove himself.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5033 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #680: Aug 24, 2015 11:07:59 pm

Disagree mate, we were under the cosh, losing Lucas left a void and had to be filled, young Rossiter did well to be fair to him, had we brought on a forward would have left even more vulnerable, Brendan got it right the result proves that, we would have lost it last season that's for sure, if you get my meaning.

YNWA
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #681: Aug 24, 2015 11:11:44 pm
      Solid,solid performance.

Only a goal for us was missing.

QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #682: Aug 24, 2015 11:14:04 pm
      Gave MOTM to Cou, thought he had an amazing first half, and flashes of brilliance troughout the match.
      Good result against a very complicated rival. We could have won it
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #683: Aug 24, 2015 11:16:29 pm
      And leave us open to losing the game.

Then people would have had a field day saying he couldn't close out the game.
      By playing the way we did in the last 20 mins It allowed Wenger to take of a defensive minded mid-field and replace him with a more attack minded mid-fielder in the 82nd minute(Coquelin for Oxlade-Chamberlain) Had we bought another striker or a fresh set of legs for Benteke they two might of went for another defender

Don't get me wrong I am over joyed with the win, just say I would have like to have seen BR be a little bit bolder and use some of the options we have....
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #684: Aug 24, 2015 11:21:46 pm

Disagree mate, we were under the cosh, losing Lucas left a void and had to be filled, young Rossiter did well to be fair to him, had we brought on a forward would have left even more vulnerable, Brendan got it right the result proves that, we would have lost it last season that's for sure, if you get my meaning.

YNWA

Yes, Lucas was feeling It. I am not one of his greatest fans, but he really played well tonight, But could we not have replaced him buy dropping Can back there and played Origi or Ings instead of Rossiter?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #685: Aug 24, 2015 11:23:23 pm
      Anyway on wards and upwards
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #686: Aug 24, 2015 11:34:04 pm
      Heart over head stuff first...

Should have won that call it 4-2

Now down to business..

I fooking love Joe Gomez. sh*te how solid was he tonight? Played with a maturity beyond his years. Pace intelligence and has positional sense plus good with the ball.

Lovern was solid. As was Migs 2 players we all hoped would step it up.

Thought we left Benteke too isolated to benefit from him more so second half. Think over the season he'll prove a brilliant signing. Lucas, are we really loaning him out? Jesus were a different team with him can't believe the boss doesn't see that. Brave to bring on young Jordan, who impressed me. Can't help but thing would Origi have been s better call then Ibe but that's Dooley based on Ibe having an off day.

Another huge plus, 3 clean sheets in a row. Are we learning? I think we all believed if we sorted the defensive weaknesses out we'd be minimum top 4 contenders. Tonight certainly looked like we'd learned how to shore up.

Should have won. Could have lost, decent point, clean sheet adds to confidence good nights work. 4 points from 6 away from home in what was supposed to be a fixture list to kill off our manager before September ends!

Walk on

RedKalel
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts | 23 
      Reply #687: Aug 24, 2015 11:36:27 pm
      Think this was Brendan's idea for the first four matches...grind out results and have something to build off of after the break.

Exactly my taught, I think after the season end we had and the fixtures we got he looked at grinding results and building some confidence.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #688: Aug 24, 2015 11:39:33 pm
      Would like to see Markovic get a game instead of Ibe now - he's had a good few minutes over 3 games, but hasn't offered enough. Take him out the limelight a bit and ease him in again, while giving Markovic a run to try prove himself.

Decent shout. I wonder is young Jordan trying too hard, as silly as it sounds, to impress and prove himself therefore taking away from his natural game?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #689: Aug 24, 2015 11:40:25 pm
      But could we not have replaced him buy dropping Can back there and played Origi or Ings instead of Rossiter?

One thing I saw in Rossiter was speed, though he was raw and made mistakes his energy allowed him to keep up and correct himself.

Thing about playing Can back there is he has zero pace and was tired to top it all off with Walcott coming in fresh

Gaffer made the right call with the personnel he had at his disposal, gutsy one at that.

Quick Reply