Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Captain and Vice Captain.

Read 19400 times
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Re: Captain and Vice Captain.
      Reply #92: Oct 23, 2015 12:00:01 pm
      There's been quite a lot of talk lately over a possible new Captain since Jürgen took over, I'd be more than happy to keep Jordan as our Captain, but for me it's the role of the vice captain that is under discussion, I like James Milner, but I have to say, I was a little surprised when he was made vice captain after only being at the club for 5 minutes, I think if I was Lucas or Skrtel, I'd be a bit cross that I'd not been chosen....so how do you think Milner has performed since taking over from Hendo?

Will Jürgen keep Hendo and Milner as Captain and Vice or will he have his own idea's as to who he wants?

For me, I would keep Hendo but have Lucas as my Vice Captain, for me he is Liverpool through and through, does a tremendous amount of work for the club and is a real role model for everyone to look up to.

It's a nice discussion MsGerrard. I really like Henderson too, but it can't be denied that one of the reasons he is captain is because of a lack of more viable options. He has the work ethic, the football intelligence and the respect of his peers, but he doesn't inspire and lead like Stevie and Hamman. But for now, I'd be happy to keep him as captain.

I think one of the reasons why Milner got picked ahead of Lucas is that Milner is almost guaranteed a start, where as Lucas isn't. A vice captain needs to be on the field. If Lucas starts regularly, and I actually think he should, he would make a better vice, and possibly even captain.

No offence to Skrtl, but I'm not sure he has the footballing intelligence to be a vice captain. Sakho is actually a possibility and Benteke too actually, but apart from those candidates mentioned, can't see another proper leader on the field. We're crying out for a big captain tbh.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #93: Oct 23, 2015 12:21:38 pm
      It's a nice discussion MsGerrard. I really like Henderson too, but it can't be denied that one of the reasons he is captain is because of a lack of more viable options. He has the work ethic, the football intelligence and the respect of his peers, but he doesn't inspire and lead like Stevie and Hamman. But for now, I'd be happy to keep him as captain.

I think one of the reasons why Milner got picked ahead of Lucas is that Milner is almost guaranteed a start, where as Lucas isn't. A vice captain needs to be on the field. If Lucas starts regularly, and I actually think he should, he would make a better vice, and possibly even captain.

No offence to Skrtl, but I'm not sure he has the footballing intelligence to be a vice captain. Sakho is actually a possibility and Benteke too actually, but apart from those candidates mentioned, can't see another proper leader on the field. We're crying out for a big captain tbh.

Just to be clear, you see Henderson as kind of a "default option"?
      I'd pretty much go along with that, although I'd also say it's up to the player to show Klopp he is the right man for the job, and if it were me I'd certainly give him the rest of the season in the role, and then perhaps re-visit it next summer.

I wouldn't want silent Skrtel anywhere near the job, but Sakho is up there, and it's a good shout you made on Benteke.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #94: Oct 23, 2015 12:36:23 pm
      In our current squad we really have no-one of the calibre of our former Captains but Henderson is the best option at present.
      When you look around the EPL are there that many standout Captains these days?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,599 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #95: Oct 23, 2015 01:08:50 pm
      We are missing hendo. Will be interesting who drops out of the MF 3 when he comes back?

Will Klopp go with Milner, Hendo & Can or Milner, Lucas & Hendo or something else. ?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,599 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #96: Oct 23, 2015 01:09:48 pm
      ffs. just checked Hendo not due back till middle of November.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #97: Oct 23, 2015 08:57:12 pm
      No, you don't get it at all. It's about getting the managers instructions onto the pitch. When Rush was clean through on the Villa goal , Sir Bob wasn't thinking "chip him Rushie " he was thinking " the keepers made a rash mistake by coming out of his box to early , and gifted you an easy goal by going around him "

Then Sir Bobs captain let Rush know the same thing without having to talk to his manager. This is what a great captain is all about. Not  six and two three's. If you want a great team , then you are gona need a great captain.

I bet this is what Jürgen  is already striving for. Henderson is a light year away from this.

Six and two threes.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #98: Oct 24, 2015 08:26:35 am
      In our current squad we really have no-one of the calibre of our former Captains but Henderson is the best option at present.
      When you look around the EPL are there that many standout Captains these days?

There's John Terry, but he's probably the last of a dying breed.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #99: Oct 24, 2015 09:44:31 am
      There's John Terry, but he's probably the last of a dying breed.

That's rubbish - there's loads of guttersnipe, malignant, morally bankrupt trash like him around.

Sadly.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #100: Oct 24, 2015 09:50:13 am
      That's rubbish - there's loads of guttersnipe, malignant, morally bankrupt trash like him around.

Sadly.

Excellent reply Al.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #101: Oct 24, 2015 09:54:41 am

I actually think he represents everything that's wrong with modern football Billy. What a role model.

Probably my age.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #102: Oct 24, 2015 12:24:46 pm

Sadly.

True, but he's fantastic player and captain.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #103: Oct 24, 2015 12:28:04 pm
      True, but he's fantastic player and captain.

Sorry - not recognising any positive traits in him.

Josef Fritzel was sh#t hot at DIY but..........
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,599 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #104: Oct 24, 2015 12:39:17 pm

Sadly.

;D ;D
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #105: Oct 24, 2015 01:00:39 pm
      Sorry - not recognising any positive traits in him.

Josef Fritzel was sh#t hot at DIY but..........

I know its hard to stomach but, if Terry had played for us he'd of been our captain and loved by the Kop.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #106: Oct 24, 2015 01:04:29 pm
      I know its hard to stomach but, if Terry had played for us he'd of been our captain and loved by the Kop.

100% disagree - wouldn't have replaced Carra or Sami at CB nor Stevie with the armband for me.

The cult of captain marvel - London style. Media darling eventually hoist by his own petard.

More importantly - he has nothing to do with LFC.

littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #107: Oct 24, 2015 02:16:24 pm
      100% disagree - wouldn't have replaced Carra or Sami at CB nor Stevie with the armband for me.

The cult of captain marvel - London style. Media darling eventually hoist by his own petard.

More importantly - he has nothing to do with LFC.

Sorry but he is a fantastic player and captain. Nothing to do with cult of captain marvel. Better than Carragher and on the same level as Sami.

Obviously you have to put aside his personal life, and football fans do this quite easily as long as the player is successful .
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #108: Oct 24, 2015 02:28:27 pm
      Sorry but he is a fantastic player and captain. Nothing to do with cult of captain marvel. Better than Carragher and on the same level as Sami.

Obviously you have to put aside his personal life, and football fans do this quite easily as long as the player is successful .

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. You obviously admire him enormously.

I think you're bang wrong - he was / is a negative influence on everything he touches. Wouldn't have swapped him for Carra and he would never, ever have been captain of LFC.

I believe the "Captain Marvel" cult papered over flaws in his game throughout his career.

Anyway more than enough time expired on him - parasite.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #109: Oct 24, 2015 02:32:44 pm
      Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. You obviously admire him enormously.

I think you're bang wrong - he was / is a negative influence on everything he touches. Wouldn't have swapped him for Carra and he would never, ever have been captain of LFC.

I believe the "Captain Marvel" cult papered over flaws in his game throughout his career.

Anyway more than enough time expired on him - parasite.

Fair dinkum
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,623 posts | 759 
      Reply #110: Oct 25, 2015 11:27:47 pm
      I'm truely amazed by this thread.

After the arsenal game i said i was not happy with Milner just waltzing in and being captain.

Most of you people roasted me for it. Even going low as to petty name calling. Claiming im not a 'real fan' and 'didnt know football' ;D

Now look what we have here.

Simply amazing.

(he supplied a good cross today though)
      « Last Edit: Oct 26, 2015 02:41:16 am by PastorGeek »
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #111: Oct 26, 2015 01:41:56 pm
      Just to be clear, you see Henderson as kind of a "default option"?
      I'd pretty much go along with that, although I'd also say it's up to the player to show Klopp he is the right man for the job, and if it were me I'd certainly give him the rest of the season in the role, and then perhaps re-visit it next summer.

I wouldn't want silent Skrtel anywhere near the job, but Sakho is up there, and it's a good shout you made on Benteke.

Yes, in many ways I do mate, Hendo is good at many things at the same time, including having a few brain cells, energy and commitment, without being brilliant at anything really. That's why I say he doesn't inspire like the other leaders do, but he is a safe pair of hands when it comes to the captain role.

I'd agree with you, because of a lack of obvious other options and for stability, I'd give him until end of the season too. Afterall, he has been in Stevie's shadow all this time, he may grow as a player like Lucas did.

Sakho and Benteke are outside shots, both big players, physically and mentality, who just come across as they could be leaders. I've never been a fan of giving striker's the captaincy role as it could distract them, but Benteke looks like he can handle the responsibility. He'll need to score regularly and stake a claim to that starting 11 before he can be considered though. And tbh, everytime he's played this season, he's show that more than most.

I guess what I'm saying is, I like Milner but that VC role is up for grabs this season, possibly for a candidate who wants the captaincy next year. Unless of course we get some big cahunas come through the January window.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #112: Oct 26, 2015 01:51:20 pm
      Yes, in many ways I do mate, Hendo is good at many things at the same time, including having a few brain cells, energy and commitment, without being brilliant at anything really. That's why I say he doesn't inspire like the other leaders do, but he is a safe pair of hands when it comes to the captain role.

I'd agree with you, because of a lack of obvious other options and for stability, I'd give him until end of the season too. Afterall, he has been in Stevie's shadow all this time, he may grow as a player like Lucas did.

Sakho and Benteke are outside shots, both big players, physically and mentality, who just come across as they could be leaders. I've never been a fan of giving striker's the captaincy role as it could distract them, but Benteke looks like he can handle the responsibility. He'll need to score regularly and stake a claim to that starting 11 before he can be considered though. And tbh, everytime he's played this season, he's show that more than most.

I guess what I'm saying is, I like Milner but that VC role is up for grabs this season, possibly for a candidate who wants the captaincy next year. Unless of course we get some big cahunas come through the January window.

After seeing the budding bromance between Klopp and Lucas, I think he's a shout for captain as well.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #113: Oct 26, 2015 04:50:00 pm
      After seeing the budding bromance between Klopp and Lucas, I think he's a shout for captain as well.

Definitely mate, I forget he's still only 28, should be at peak if he kees starting. Much better organiser than Milner imo.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #114: Oct 29, 2015 09:59:18 am
      I don't have an enormous problem with Henderson being captain - I'd hardly say there was an outstanding candidate for it at the club but he has been there a while and does have captaincy experience.

I do have a problem with Milner being given the vice captaincy.  I don't think at any club, no matter who the player is, they should just walk in the door and be given that degree of seniority over other players.

Klopp can't exactly take it off him now but it was a mistake by Rodgers and although vice captain is not normally significant - Hendo's injury has increased its importance and I'd imagine it was a slap in the bollocks for many players.

Skrtel or Lucas should have been given the vice captaincy and should be wearing the armband in Henderson's absence.

Quick Reply