Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Rumours - Sturridge injured following Newcastle game (Now Reported)

Read 12872 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Rumours - Sturridge injured following Newcastle game
      Reply #23: Dec 08, 2015 10:09:19 pm
      If he is injured then a striker has to be a priority in the January window if we're to have a chance of competing on all fronts.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #24: Dec 08, 2015 10:11:58 pm
      If he is injured then a striker has to be a priority in the January window if we're to have a chance of competing on all fronts.

its got to happen mate we just cannot rely on Daniel.If we get him fit use him as a sub for the rest of the season and see if we cant build him up again
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #25: Dec 08, 2015 10:30:42 pm

Got to be under discussion hasn't it?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #26: Dec 08, 2015 10:33:37 pm
      its got to happen mate we just cannot rely on Daniel.If we get him fit use him as a sub for the rest of the season and see if we cant build him up again

It's a shame we can't do what Spurs did with Ledley King and just allow him to play games and train once in a blue moon.

I really hope so.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #27: Dec 08, 2015 11:01:20 pm

Bloody tough to find a decent striker in Jan though I'd imagine.

Were rumours yesterday about Mauro Icardi, his stats last season were very impressive but going by the few things I've read he's struggled this season and got dropped recently?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #28: Dec 08, 2015 11:07:39 pm

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #29: Dec 08, 2015 11:08:31 pm
      It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Still gutted about him leaving mate.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #30: Dec 08, 2015 11:21:43 pm

Problem is who? Not just who is available but who we'd be prepared to buy? We have Sturridge, Benteke, Ings, Origi and Firmino on the books who can play as a front man, would FSG sanction the purchase of another striker without getting rid of one of the above? Sturridge is the obvious fall guy but who'd buy a player made of glass, who spends more time on the treatment table than on the pitch? Can't see us buying a sixth forward/striker to be honest.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #31: Dec 08, 2015 11:23:50 pm
      Not been a great few days for Liverpool supporters, hopefully we won't make matters worse by panic buying.

I would look at loaning a striker in. Probably worth a couple of million in loan fees for the right player, to ensure we don't get tied up with another average striker for 4 years.

Van Persie, Tevez or Cavani on loan would do. Van Persie and Cavani are supposed to be unhappy, not sure about Tevez.   

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #32: Dec 08, 2015 11:26:34 pm
      Van Persie, Tevez or Cavani on loan would do. Van Persie and Cavani are supposed to be unhappy, not sure about Tevez.

Always looks unhappy to me mate, just my resident body language expertise, I thought you may be interested ;D

(Although judging by your final Brendan interview assessment I think you may have already reached the above conclusion too!)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #33: Dec 08, 2015 11:34:41 pm
      Always looks unhappy to me mate, just my resident body language expertise, I thought you may be interested ;D

(Although judging by your final Brendan interview assessment I think you may have already reached the above conclusion too!)

Rumour going round that Chelsea want Benteke, obviously if that was true and Klopp would let him go,it would change everything.   
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Re: Rumours - Sturridge injured following Newcastle game (Now Confirmed)
      Reply #34: Dec 08, 2015 11:56:34 pm
      Not been a great few days for Liverpool supporters, hopefully we won't make matters worse by panic buying.

I would look at loaning a striker in. Probably worth a couple of million in loan fees for the right player, to ensure we don't get tied up with another average striker for 4 years.

I'm sure Klopp has a couple in mind. I'd take a run at the Ighalo kid at Watford, has really impressed me, he's quick, he's powerful, has abit of skill about him and he 100% hustled and fights for everything. He is very well suited for the way we play under Herr Klopp. Either way we need someone, given the topsy turvy nature of the league I actually think it would make more sense to overpay in January to get the right player than wait till the summer.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Rumours - Sturridge injured following Newcastle game (Now Reported)
      Reply #35: Dec 09, 2015 12:22:02 am
      Problem is who? Not just who is available but who we'd be prepared to buy? We have Sturridge, Benteke, Ings, Origi and Firmino on the books who can play as a front man, would FSG sanction the purchase of another striker without getting rid of one of the above? Sturridge is the obvious fall guy but who'd buy a player made of glass, who spends more time on the treatment table than on the pitch? Can't see us buying a sixth forward/striker to be honest.

Take Firmino out of the equation as he's not really an out and out striker, consider the fact that Sturridge is ALWAYS injured, that Ings is out until next season and that Origi is as inconsistent as they come and that leaves us with Benteke. If FSG are serious about the club achieving success then they'll go get a striker.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #36: Dec 09, 2015 12:22:44 am
      Facht :   Sturridge has started  only 16 of the  81 games since Luis left.   

FFS   Get shot of. He was a walking injury case when we bought him at the discount score.

Lighten the club wage bill for a start.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #37: Dec 09, 2015 12:30:41 am
      Genuinely wonder if retirement has crossed his mind.  Probably not seeing as we gave him a 5 year extension or whatever it was not so long ago but still - you do wonder what his mindset must be.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #38: Dec 09, 2015 12:31:48 am
      Rumour going round that Chelsea want Benteke

Can't do any worse than Jose I suppose.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #39: Dec 09, 2015 12:32:59 am

Were rumours yesterday about Mauro Icardi, his stats last season were very impressive but going by the few things I've read he's struggled this season and got dropped recently?

There will be options but FSG may have to throw a few quid at it. I've only watched 2 or 3 Inter games this season but before one of those games there was a discussion about Icardi's attitude. He's the captain and it's twice now that he's been dropped and Inter won both of those games, one of those was a big game against Roma. Couldn't imagine somebody like Gerrard, Keane, Vieira, Kompany etc. being dropped against one of the league's top teams.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #40: Dec 09, 2015 12:37:39 am
      There will be options but FSG may have to throw a few quid at it. I've only watched 2 or 3 Inter games this season but before one of those games there was a discussion about Icardi's attitude. He's the captain and it's twice now that he's been dropped and Inter won both of those games, one of those was a big game against Roma. Couldn't imagine somebody like Gerrard, Keane, Vieira, Kompany etc. being dropped against one of the league's top teams.

Cheers for the update mate.

As has been said above we've a few strikers on our books even though none really available.

I hate the idea of getting someone now who is not Jürgen's top choice because we've just signed Benteke and for all the rumours about a switch to Chelsea I just can't really believe it. Then there's Ings just signed and Origi in his first year here too. So that would mean 4 strikers all in their first year, leaving us very little wiggle room if this one wasn't top notch.

Throw Sturridge's bumper contract into the mix and FSG would probably be reluctant to sanction many more funds (considering we don't know the Ings fee yet) for another striker. It's a bizarre yet typically recent Liverpool situation.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #41: Dec 09, 2015 12:51:49 am
      Genuinely wonder if retirement has crossed his mind.  Probably not seeing as we gave him a 5 year extension or whatever it was not so long ago but still - you do wonder what his mindset must be.

Very frustrated I would think that he can't get to show just how good he might be, and very worried that his career might be coming to a premature end.

In the 60's Liverpool were one of the few teams that didn't insure players against career ending injuries. Supposedly the premiums they had saved by not having insurance would be more than enough to compensate if the worst did happen to a player. It also meant that when players where injured at Liverpool they were not pressurised as some where at other clubs to retire through injury.

Obviously with the huge wages of players today Liverpool will have Sturridge well insured and maybe the pressure will mount on Daniel to take this option if his cycle of injuries continues.     
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #42: Dec 09, 2015 01:00:14 am
      In the 60's Liverpool were one of the few teams that didn't insure players against career ending injuries. Supposedly the premiums they had saved by not having insurance would be more than enough to compensate if the worst did happen to a player. It also meant than when players where injured at Liverpool they were not pressurised as some where at other clubs to retire through injury.

Didn't know all that. Surely there still has to be a limit to the insurance though.  Liverpool gave him a 5 year deal not so long back.  Even at the time to a punter like me that looked reckless - surely no organisation would underwrite covering that for 5 years.

I wonder if players don't get their full wedge when injured or something - maybe after a few weeks the insurance company pays them a smaller fraction of their salary?

[Disclaimer - my knowledge about the insurance industry is just above zero]

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #43: Dec 09, 2015 01:10:06 am
      Didn't know all that. Surely there still has to be a limit to the insurance though.  Liverpool gave him a 5 year deal not so long back.  Even at the time to a punter like me that looked reckless - surely no organisation would underwrite covering that for 5 years.

I wonder if players don't get their full wedge when injured or something - maybe after a few weeks the insurance company pays them a smaller fraction of their salary?

[Disclaimer - my knowledge about the insurance industry is just above zero]

The player would presumably get his contract paid up by the club in the event of a career ending injury, which is why it is a bit of a gamble for players who go into the last year of their contracts.  How much the club would get from the insurance in compensation ... not a clue mate.

I don't think clubs insure players for "routine" injuries (i.e. not career ending) which is why they fight to get the money from England when players are injured on international duty. I remember Newcastle got a bumper payout from England when Owen was out for a long while.

LONDON, England -- English Premier League club Newcastle United are to be paid £100,000 ($206,444) per week in compensation for as long as Michael Owen is out of action after being injured playing for England last Friday.

Owen's latest setback came during England's friendly international in Vienna last Friday.

The striker is expected to be sidelined for up to a month after suffering a thigh strain in the first half of England's 1-0 friendly win over Austria in Vienna.

The English Football Association confirmed on Tuesday that Newcastle would be eligible for a payout under the terms of their insurance, which covers clubs for players' wages up to a maximum of £100,000 pounds a week.

Owen's latest injury occurred 16 months after Newcastle's former chairman Freddy Shepherd criticized the FA over the compensation for the cruciate knee ligament injury the player suffered during the 2006 World Cup.

FA officials have emphasized that decisions about reimbursement to clubs are solely decided by the insurers,not the association.

"The FA takes out policies to cover for injuries sustained on international duty," said an FA spokesman.

"This figure can be up to £100,000 a week but it is not the FA who pay this money out, it is our insurers, if they deem it is fit to do so."
      http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SPORT/football/11/20/england.owen/

Just read this snippet when doing a bit of research :- Liverpool will not receive any compensation from Fifa for Gomez’s injury because he was not playing for a senior side.
      « Last Edit: Dec 09, 2015 01:30:29 am by s@int »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #44: Dec 09, 2015 01:20:15 am
      Time to play Firmino as a number 9 as I don't think he is a midfielder in any case.
      As for Sturridge he has played a couple of games just a shame he didn't score in the last one before he got injured.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #45: Dec 09, 2015 01:41:25 am
      Take Firmino out of the equation as he's not really an out and out striker, consider the fact that Sturridge is ALWAYS injured, that Ings is out until next season and that Origi is as inconsistent as they come and that leaves us with Benteke. If FSG are serious about the club achieving success then they'll go get a striker.

I don't disagree but you're not looking at it the way FSG would likely look at it. They have proven they're long term planners and long term, Ings will be back and, if this is just a Hamstring strain, Sturridge will be back and whilst he may not be an out and out striker, Firmino can play as the furthest forward attacking player so with that in mind, do you really see them stumping up the cash for a decent striker?

Even if they do, who are we realistically going to get who even remotely approaches Sturridge with his 44 goals in 73 appearances. Not only afford, not only attract, but find available in January? Is there a point to buying a striker who is only as good as Ings or Origi? That's a waste of money I'd sooner see spent on a new goal keeper and a left back. Same goes for a loan. Is there a point to spending a couple of million plus wages in a loan deal for six months?

Either way, he's injured until New Year and that's when the window opens so we can have a look at what's out there and evaluate our options at the time. In the meantime we'll have to see others step up to the plate.

Quick Reply