Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Attainable "leaders"

Read 6617 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Attainable "leaders"
      Dec 22, 2015 01:13:59 pm
      I think theres full agreement amongst reds that we severely lack leaders on the pitch. But what players are out there that are classed as leaders but who are viable options? Lets be honest not too many leading players at clubs competing ta champions league level are going to look at us at the minute and say "that's the club for me"

So lets keep it at realistic options     
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Attainable "leaders"
      Reply #1: Dec 22, 2015 01:33:15 pm
      There are none.

F**k All.

KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #2: Dec 22, 2015 01:40:20 pm
      I think theres full agreement amongst reds that we severely lack leaders on the pitch. But what players are out there that are classed as leaders but who are viable options? Lets be honest not too many leading players at clubs competing ta champions league level are going to look at us at the minute and say "that's the club for me"

So lets keep it at realistic options     

Isn't the issue still that we simply don't have the quality of players we need?

I'm not sure 'buying' leaders, like we did with Toure and Milner, works.

Recruitment has been our problem for years, we buy players with potential that more often than not doesn't emerge or we buy people and they regress.

I'd rather Liverpool put the focus into signing four or five genuine starters who will improve the quality of the side and rely on the fact that good players, with a competitive drive, will act like leaders when they start to see us win.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Dec 22, 2015 02:05:19 pm
      Not to sure id class Milner or Toure as leaders? Not top notch ones anyway
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4: Dec 22, 2015 02:12:16 pm
      Not sure.

That Vertonghen has looked alright whenever I've seen him play, which admittedly isn't much. And could be a bit of a leader too.

Not sure it's definitely leaders we are after, just F***ing good players mind.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #5: Dec 22, 2015 02:47:32 pm
      We need good players who have a mentality of steel with a will to win like Suarez (clinically insane on the pitch)  and don't sink into themselves at the sight of a battle.

Coincidently a spine of these sort from Keeper, CB and Midfield and we are not too far away from challenging.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #6: Dec 22, 2015 03:16:12 pm
      Not to sure id class Milner or Toure as leaders? Not top notch ones anyway

Well a lot of the debate and justification for signing both of those two, not to mention the timing, was to say they had experience of how to win and could lead.

So yeah, I'm classing them as signings designed to be leaders in the team. Not good enough players though.

That's the problem, not the lack of shouting and putting in effort.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7: Dec 22, 2015 03:32:44 pm
      It's a very fair question. Obvious leaders at other clubs aren't necessarily good enough to get into our team, although there ought to be allowances for other things that they bring to the table. Also, "leaders" don't have to run around piling into tackles, leadership can be experience in tight situations, anything which pulls people together.

Looking at the Premiership and leaving out the Mancs as they wouldn't see to us/we wouldn't want them anyway. Obviously also leaving out the likes of Vincent Kompany for obvious reasons, I would say these players are "leaders". Whether we would want any of them is another question:

Robert Huth, Mikkel Arteta, The bloke with the ponytail who plays at the back for Man City, can't remember his name, Scott Dann, Johann Cabaye, Troy Deaney, Mark Noble, James Collins, Bouyate, Ross Barclay, John Stones, Gary Naismith, Lukaku, Barry, Geoff Cameron, Ryan Shawcross, the Stoke midfielder whose name escapes me, Irish bloke, Steven Davis, Fonte, Gareth McCauley, Darren Fletcher, Olssen, Ramirez, Obi Mikkel, Collocine, Ashley Williams.

All tjese blokes are leaders, I'M NOT NECESSARILY SAYING WE SHOULD SIGN THEM.   
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #8: Dec 22, 2015 03:53:24 pm
      I think Granit Xhaka from Monchengladbach has the personality we need.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9: Dec 22, 2015 04:12:44 pm
      I think Granit Xhaka from Monchengladbach has the personality we need.

Certainly has the name. I've never heard of him but anyone called Granit has got to be worth a look.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #10: Dec 22, 2015 04:15:26 pm
      Certainly has the name. I've never heard of him but anyone called Granit has got to be worth a look.

If you saw his sending off at the weekend when he just ran up to someone and kicked him up the arse then no thanks
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #11: Dec 22, 2015 04:16:14 pm
      Nigel Farage, Ed Milliband, Ian Duncan Smith ?
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #12: Dec 22, 2015 04:21:03 pm
      I think people are equating leadership with physicality.

I think we need more players who are genuinely tough to play against, we are loaded with soft touch players. But I don't think simply buying a 'leader' is possible.

It is possible to buy players who are technically capable of the style of football we'd like to see but also physically imposing. Henderson and Can could be the answer in midfield. But at the back we need rid of Skrtel, he can't be playing regularly anymore.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #13: Dec 22, 2015 04:30:20 pm
      I think people are equating leadership with physicality.

I think we need more players who are genuinely tough to play against, we are loaded with soft touch players. But I don't think simply buying a 'leader' is possible.

It is possible to buy players who are technically capable of the style of football we'd like to see but also physically imposing. Henderson and Can could be the answer in midfield. But at the back we need rid of Skrtel, he can't be playing regularly anymore.

The leadership with physicality point is a fair one mate. Xabi Alonso would be a leader but he wouldn't be kicking people.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #14: Dec 22, 2015 05:03:24 pm
      We've no Scousers  to wear their heart on their sleeve and take people out.

Flanno is on the side lines.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #15: Dec 22, 2015 05:08:23 pm
      We dont buy leaders, we make them ones in Liverpool. Lucas, Henderson, Milner and Skrtel are the only genuine leaders we have at the moment. Is that enough? I think so, you dont need 11 leaders on the pitch to win a game of football. Whats important is for the other 7 players not to run away scared.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #16: Dec 22, 2015 05:12:08 pm
      We dont buy leaders, we make them ones in Liverpool. Lucas, Henderson, Milner and Skrtel are the only genuine leaders we have at the moment. Is that enough? I think so, you dont need 11 leaders on the pitch to win a game of football. Whats important is for the other 7 players not to run away scared.

Henderson, Milner and Skrtel are not leaders, Hendo might become one but the other two never have been and never will be on the pitch at least.

Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #17: Dec 22, 2015 05:37:50 pm
      The question HS is, whats the leader. Leadership. Its really subjecitve. When I see a corner in 90+4 of stoppage time, with leaders like Suarez, Gerrard on the ptich, and sudenly Skrtel meets the corner with his head to make it 2:2 vs Arsenal with a brilliant header, hes a leader for me. Would you expect Sakho, Toure, Sturridge, Benteke, Coutinho or Firmino to do just that? Hardly. You see a couple own goals of Skerts and hes not leader for you, but he has some strong qualities. Milner likewise. That said, another thread after a calamity of performance which will only goes one way, and towards negative outcome. Stop creating new topics and focus on Leicester game is my word.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #18: Dec 22, 2015 05:44:09 pm
      John Terry? :f_tongueincheek:
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,245 posts | 1226 
      Reply #19: Dec 22, 2015 05:48:09 pm
      Leaders are those who want the ball the most, take responsibility in all circumstances, pull people together in difficult moments and have a resilience about them that influences others.

Now, add in a sufficient amount of some other specifically footballing qualities and they are the ones we should be looking for.

Since I don't believe leadership is an exclusively in-born trait I would also like to think the manager can help make a leader or two out of the current crop.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #20: Dec 22, 2015 06:08:01 pm
      sure he is/was.

interesting I dont see many leaders in Arsenal team. Why Guardiola agrees to sign for this soft touch of talented hungry players? He will find and make leaders amongs them. Klopp will too at Liverpool FC.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #21: Dec 22, 2015 06:17:48 pm
      Id argue that in Henderson and Milner we have leaders, the only problem is that they are particularly skillfull orr useful footballers. The biggest issue is that all the players need to toughen up, mentally and physically, hopefully team Klopp can instil this in them otherwise we'll need to find new players, its that simple.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #22: Dec 22, 2015 06:38:11 pm

Skrtel a leader? Because he's big and has a skinhead? ;D. He's one of the softest central defenders I've ever seen, let alone play for us...

Quick Reply