Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Pre-match Stoke V Liverpool League Cup semi-final 1st leg, 5th Jan 20.00

Read 8864 times
      MsGerrard
      Pre-match Stoke V Liverpool League Cup semi-final 1st leg, 5th Jan 20.00
      Jan 03, 2016 09:36:14 pm
      As the dissapointment from the West Ham game fades, we turn our attention to Stoke City in the semi-final of the League Cup.

This will be far from easy, we all know how hard it is to perform on a cold wet winters night at the Britannia Stadium and that 6-1 thrashing is still fresh in my mind on Gerrard's last game for the redmen, gosh, that still hurts, but we have beaten them at home already this season, when we went there right at the beginning of the season when Coutinho scored the only goal of the game.

This is a cup semi-final though and like we all know, anything can happen in cup games, tbh, I would take us to beat anyone over two legs, so I'd take a draw on Tuesday and batter them at Anfield  ;) but a repeat of the last game against Southampton would be very nice indeed  :D

I'm going to be at this game shouting for the REDS on the front row...support support support

Just want to see full bodied passion and commitment for the Red shirt whoever plays !!

Come on you mighty REDS....two games away from a Wembley visit  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Re: Pre-match Stoke V Liverpool League Cup semi-final 1st leg, 5th Jan 20.00
      Reply #1: Jan 03, 2016 09:40:27 pm
      I'm worried about this one.

Badly want to win this cup but I have a bad feeling about Stoke away given recent away performances.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2: Jan 03, 2016 09:44:05 pm
      Play on the break as we did against Southampton, same team as against Southampton but if Sturridge is not ready to start then Ibe starts.
      Firmino as a false 9, Benteke as good a player he is does not fit into our team.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3: Jan 03, 2016 09:45:33 pm
      When drew Stoke back in 2015, seemed like a good draw.
      But they have hit some form, and their front 3 can do a lot of damage.
      We will need to play better than we have been of late to beat them.
      Will Benteke start? Be interesting to see.
      But we could really be doing with getting past these and into the final, could all do with the lift I reckon.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Jan 03, 2016 09:58:39 pm
      I only ask one thing, make it worth me going to see the 2nd leg.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5: Jan 03, 2016 10:20:19 pm
      Going to have to stop Bojan, Shaqiri and that fella's name who starts with A.

Am sure at one stage we were after the first 2 ?????.....wouldn't mind them in our side at the moment or the fella that starts with A.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #6: Jan 03, 2016 10:24:21 pm
      anyone got a Ouja board so we can try and work out what Liverpool team will turn up. How do you manage people who's performance levels vary so wildly from week to week. We need this really badly and the players owe it to us
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #7: Jan 03, 2016 10:26:55 pm
      No sturridge no chance
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #8: Jan 03, 2016 11:01:48 pm
      We can do this. Jürgen would have had fiery words with his players after the West ham game and the boys will have to give 110%.

Tough game, but an away victory on the cards I reckon. 0-2 red men!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #9: Jan 03, 2016 11:08:14 pm
      Take us to get through over the two legs, I badly want another trip to Wembley to put that performance against Villa firmly outta my head !! Like others have said though, it all depends which Liverpool side turn up, let's hope its similar to the same one that demolished the Saints !!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #10: Jan 03, 2016 11:51:43 pm
      We can do this. Jürgen would have had fiery words with his players after the West ham game and the boys will have to give 110%.

Tough game, but an away victory on the cards I reckon. 0-2 red men!

Nice on Mark, yep I reckon we can too but that's only beacuse we will turn up for this game, Arsenal and The Mancs and win them F***ing all because they are the "big games"...who knows who the F**k we have after that and what sort of perfomance we will put in there.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #11: Jan 03, 2016 11:54:07 pm
      Penalty shoot out win in the second leg anyone?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #12: Jan 04, 2016 01:07:31 am
      as Tadders says. We are not up for a fight .

Or are we?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #13: Jan 04, 2016 01:10:07 am
      I can only see one outcome for this match, sadly.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #14: Jan 04, 2016 01:30:51 am
      We got this.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #15: Jan 04, 2016 05:20:43 am
      I am not very optimistic about this game. Sorry.

They have been playing some very entertaining stuff last few games and they front line seem to have stuck a wavelength(Quite the opposite to us sadly). Bojan and Shaqiri look technically very good and the Austrian fella almost hits every shot very sweetly towards goal.

But what do I know? I predicted we would get stuffed against Leicester but we won. Hoping for same result again.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16: Jan 04, 2016 06:11:35 am
      Bogdan

Clyne
      Lovren
      Sakho
      Smith

Can
      Allen
      Coutinho

Ibe
      Lallana

Firmino

Call me crazy.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #17: Jan 04, 2016 06:18:07 am
      I've done my bit by not going for a Liverpool win in the prediction league, so that should guarantee a win for us, based on my correct prediction ratio so far.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

If this was a league match I would be more worried, but we seem to do a lot better in cup competitions, we can easily go there and get at least a draw to take back to Anfield.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #18: Jan 04, 2016 06:30:19 am

Badly want to win this cup but I have a bad feeling about Stoke away given recent away performances.

I'd be worried if you weren't worried.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #19: Jan 04, 2016 06:41:15 am
      Think that the lads will be up for this game, unless I am being too optimistic, a performance like the one against Southampton would be great. Hopeful that Klopp will have them fired up for this game.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,266 posts | 1230 
      Reply #20: Jan 04, 2016 07:13:11 am
      They're playing well these days. Home crowd will be well up for it.

Take our recent away form into it and we will get done by a few goals, no problem.

Ballsy performance required. Not overly optimistic tbh, but you never know in cup games.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #21: Jan 04, 2016 08:43:17 am
      No time for sentimental picks.

Whoever isn't up for a fight doesn't play, too many nicey nicey ball tippy tappy F***ing players at the moment.

Pick some players that will fight for the cause first and foremost, we don't really carry a goal threat so lets keep ourselves in the game and try and nick it over 2 legs.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #22: Jan 04, 2016 09:03:04 am
      I think the players will be up for this match especially after the West Ham debacle.I am sure the Boss will have given them a few home truths regarding what is expected of them when representing Liverpool F.C.We need a result here in the first leg no question about that.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #23: Jan 04, 2016 09:17:10 am
      Bogdan

Clyne
      Lovren
      Sakho
      Smith

Can
      Allen
      Coutinho

Ibe
      Lallana

Firmino

Call me crazy.

You're crazy!

But I wouldn't argue too much with the line-up mate. It's sad when I think so many of those aren't good enough but yet are our best options.

I'd gladly see Benteke dropped, I think our brand of football is so much better when he isn't in the side.

We need to get through this game relatively close with Stoke, a goal in it we could take with the fact we 'might' have Sturridge, Henderson, etc back for the 2nd leg. Having said that I think we can do these, as poorly as we have played we aren't as far away as the doom-mongers will have you believe. We're still creating chances, Lucas had one of the line and Can one of the bar in the previous game, Benteke numerous chances which he put out of the stadium and that was with us playing as poorly as that.

Jürgen will have properly read them the riot act, no doubting that so it will be up them to show what they have to respond with. The likes of Can and Lallana need to be much more aggressive, not be pushed around like little rag dolls, it's more embarrassing for Can given his stature but it's no less excusable for Lallana. If he wants the shirt fight for it like you mean it not like it might put your precious hair out of place. Benteke also falls into this category, if he plays he needs to show some damn aggression, give him a testosterone patch or something because a man of his size should dominate players, they should be frightened to come into contact with him.
      Redangel

• 8,394 posts | 1025 
      Reply #24: Jan 04, 2016 09:30:18 am
      I wish I could say I was optimistic about this one, but in all honesty, I can't. This will be tough, Stoke will take the fight to us, I have no idea if we'll fight or flight!
      I hope we get a reaction from the players after Jürgen tore into them after West Ham, if they don't react the right way then we are indeed in serious trouble!
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #25: Jan 04, 2016 10:26:34 am
      I hope the players wear masks so I don't have to know it's the same spineless bunch who lost few days ago.

A 4-4-1-1 option of Couts and Sturridge upfront should do. I hope to be pleasantly surprised with a comfortable win and a clean sheet with a winning consistency in subsequent games. Enough of the erratic performance.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #26: Jan 04, 2016 10:35:10 am
      I'd play Sturridge in this one and then wrap him in cotton wool for the second leg. Two biggest games of the month for me.

Any news on Hendo or Milner? Could do with both of them here as well.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #27: Jan 04, 2016 11:00:45 am
      0-0 would be a result....

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #28: Jan 04, 2016 11:03:19 am
      Mignolet

Clyne
      Lovren
      Sakho
      Smith

Can
      Allen
      Coutinho

Ibe
      Lallana

Kent

Kent, Lallana and Coutinho to rotate :)
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2016 11:13:22 am by clint_call01 »
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #29: Jan 04, 2016 01:13:08 pm
      just thinking if we get to the final will Sturridge suddenly gain fitness a bit like Kewell
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #30: Jan 04, 2016 01:17:02 pm
      just thinking if we get to the final will Sturridge suddenly gain fitness a bit like Kewell

Sturridge is apparently fit but Jürgen wants him to have a pre season so lessen the chance of breaking down again.
      Good luck with that boss!

So more likely he will be available for Arsenal and Utd.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #31: Jan 04, 2016 01:22:31 pm
      Sturridge is apparently fit but Jürgen wants him to have a pre season so lessen the chance of breaking down again.

So more likely he will be available for Arsenal and Utd.

I don't think he trust him regarding his fitness and seeing him training is a good idea but pressures might be influential especially if Benteke remains in a semi conscious state
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #32: Jan 04, 2016 01:34:25 pm
      Well I thought I'd never see the day thinking the un thinkable that these fckers could smash us over two legs , if our players turn up with their recent attitude then thats what will happen .

I just hope the fckers have taken a long look in the mirror and recognise that badge on their chest and the stature of the club they are playing for .
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #33: Jan 04, 2016 02:06:27 pm

Total 50/50 this tie for me.

Don't think it would be over if we got walloped or handed out a walloping in the first leg.

Yeah. He'll have figured him out by the summer.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #34: Jan 04, 2016 03:35:23 pm
      Total 50/50 this tie for me.

Don't think it would be over if we got walloped or handed out a walloping in the first leg.

Yeah. He'll have figured him out by the summer.

Sturridge not available.
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 309 posts | 43 
      Reply #35: Jan 04, 2016 03:56:32 pm
      Was hoping we had some players back for this one, but looks like it will be the same squad available as against West Ham.

I'd go with:

Bogdan

Clyne
      Lovren
      Sakho
      Smith

Allen
      Lucas
      Emre Can

Lallana
      Firmino
      Coutinho

Subs: Mignolet; Randall, Toure, Moreno; Brannagan; Ibe; Benteke.

Not to confident about getting a win here, so hoping for a draw as Stoke are on form.

I'm going for 1-1.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #36: Jan 04, 2016 04:29:36 pm
      Bogdan

Clyne
      Lovren
      Sakho
      Smith

Can
      Allen
      Coutinho

Ibe
      Lallana

Firmino

Call me crazy.

I'm liking that team very much but bloody well leave Bogdan out will ya, he's a damn liability.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #37: Jan 04, 2016 04:59:37 pm
      Mignolet
      Clyne Lovren Sakho Smith
      Allen Can
      Lallana Coutinho Ibe
      Firmino

Would bench Benteke, and put Firmino up. And wouldn't even have Firmino if there was anyone else available.
      Give Smith a run, and Allen. Can for energy. And Ibe another chance.
      Maybe, just maybe, try to replicate even some semblance of the away performances that blew us away some weeks back.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #38: Jan 04, 2016 08:21:49 pm
      We cannot allow then to score more than one goal tomorrow night.. if they do, we have to score one back..

Like I said earlier a 0-0 to me, takes the game back to Anfield as an open tie with everything to play for..and would be a result.

I'd even take a 0-1..

Going back to Anfield 0-2 down and an 11 man Stoke defence to break down would be a real tough one in our current form at trying to break teams down at Anfield..

Yes, like many i'd love us to turn them over but something tells me the Southampton performance was a one off and this lot won't lie down..

C'mon Jürgen, wind em up !!

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #39: Jan 04, 2016 08:48:41 pm

On reflection I think it is a little bit unfair to compare Kewell to Sturrdge,both have earned good money for none performance.
                        Back to Stoke we need to get a win and that will leave gaps in the Stoke defence at Anfield.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #40: Jan 04, 2016 08:53:23 pm
      Stoke do like to actually play some football under Hughes, so I'd be for a front three of Ibe, Lallana and Firmino to press the backline.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #41: Jan 04, 2016 09:34:36 pm
      F**k me the BBC are reporting Sturidge is injured again....
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #42: Jan 04, 2016 09:37:12 pm
      F**k me the BBC are reporting Sturidge is injured again....

It's beyond a joke

"Daniel Sturridge will miss Liverpool's League Cup semi-final first leg at Stoke on Tuesday after suffering a minor setback in training as he recovers from a hamstring injury."
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #43: Jan 04, 2016 09:45:36 pm
      It's beyond a joke

"Daniel Sturridge will miss Liverpool's League Cup semi-final first leg at Stoke on Tuesday after suffering a minor setback in training as he recovers from a hamstring injury."

apparently bent over to pick his wallet up and put his back out. He should have known you bend from the knees when picking up heavy objects.
      Its getting a bit embarrassing now isn't it
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #44: Jan 04, 2016 09:54:54 pm
      apparently bent over to pick his wallet up and put his back out. He should have known you bend from the knees when picking up heavy objects.
      Its getting a bit embarrassing now isn't it

Tis. Klopp's doing the right thing though imo, keep him in training until he can sustain some level of fitness. Before putting him back in. Even still, he's got so bad, not sure he'll ever be up to playing in a Klopp side.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #45: Jan 04, 2016 10:01:33 pm
      Tis. Klopp's doing the right thing though imo, keep him in training until he can sustain some level of fitness. Before putting him back in. Even still, he's got so bad, not sure he'll ever be up to playing in a Klopp side.

think Jürgen has told him straight prove to me your fit enough and he hasn't has he. With all the highly paid medical staff we have and access to the the best Doctors in the world this lad still cannot get himself free from injury.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #46: Jan 05, 2016 02:02:32 am
      think Jürgen has told him straight prove to me your fit enough and he hasn't has he. With all the highly paid medical staff we have and access to the the best Doctors in the world this lad still cannot get himself free from injury.

Don't think he want to at times mate.

Read my post in the Sturridge thread where I paraphrased an excerpt from Stevie's last book.

Had to be begged by Stevie to play against the Mancs at Anfield despite doctors giving him the ok.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #47: Jan 05, 2016 02:37:26 am
      Mignolet
      Clyne Lovren Sakho Smith
      Allen Can
      Lallana Coutinho Ibe
      Firmino

Would bench Benteke, and put Firmino up. And wouldn't even have Firmino if there was anyone else available.
      Give Smith a run, and Allen. Can for energy. And Ibe another chance.
      Maybe, just maybe, try to replicate even some semblance of the away performances that blew us away some weeks back.

I like this. I have been wanting to see Firmino in a false 9 again. I just remind myself of the Man City game of him and Coutinho and pray it can start to become a consistent thing.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #48: Jan 05, 2016 06:51:55 am
      Tough test but over 2 legs I fancy us,

Mignolet
            Clyne Lovren Sakho Moreno
                          Lucas Can
                 Ibe      Coutinho.   Canos
                              Firmino

I know,  Canos is still on loan t think, but Lallana for me just isn't pulling his weight, so I'd rather F**k him off and play someone who gives a F**k,

1-2 mighty Reds

YNWA
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #49: Jan 05, 2016 07:02:52 am
      I'm liking that team very much but bloody well leave Bogdan out will ya, he's a damn liability.

Just figured he's been our Cup keeper so far. Might get the nod again.

It's like picking between a kick in the nuts and a punch to the face with those two in goal.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #50: Jan 05, 2016 09:17:50 am

Read my post in the Sturridge thread where I paraphrased an excerpt from Stevie's last book.

Had to be begged by Stevie to play against the Mancs at Anfield despite doctors giving him the ok.

http://www.balls.ie/football/steven-gerrard-audiobook-daniel-sturridge/310893

Unfuckingbelievable
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #51: Jan 05, 2016 09:45:16 am
      Just been showing games between us , naturally they showed the 6/ 1 then they showed us duffing them 8 nil  note to big ben take a look at
       god, s last goal put through 1v 1 no fuss no dithering just put the fcker in the onion bag now thats how you do it .
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #52: Jan 05, 2016 10:06:26 am
      It's suited us playing against teams who were favourites under Klopp so far.  Chelsea, City, Southampton (away) we were all a bit concerned I think. Leicester (home) too possibly considering their form. Now Stoke away is a tough game and they are in decent form at the moment. They are a much different Stoke to what they were under Pulis. Need to get a grip of Arnautovic early on. Man mark him. Afellay, Shaqiri and Bojan are the other dangers - their four lads in attack are all very good players.

I fancy us to go there and just dominate possession though just like we did in the above games. Don't let them play. As soon as they do gain possession then hunt them down. It's a shame we can't play like that every week but I fancy us tonight. When the pressure is off us to win the game we've come good. The pressure is all on Stoke, they're the ones at home in a 2 leg semi final. We need to work so much harder than we did against West Ham though, the boys need to pull their fingers out and put a shift in tonight.

Mignolet

Clyne
      Sakho
      Lovren
      Moreno

Lucas
      Can

Lallana
      Coutinho
      Ibe

Firmino

COME ON REDS.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #53: Jan 05, 2016 10:07:34 am

And Mignolet is... what?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #54: Jan 05, 2016 10:21:04 am
      Can't say that I am look forward to this game. Lets hope that our mid-field stays strong
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #55: Jan 05, 2016 10:43:20 am
      Tough game.

If we dont deserve it then we dont deserve it.

Sturridge.
      Just get rid.
      Pumping out money week after week into his bank account for what ?
      It was a cheapskate bad buy as he already had an injury list by then.
      BR knew him so BR knew best.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #56: Jan 05, 2016 11:09:32 am
      well here we go again match day most pundits going for Stoke and as we seem to play one game good one game bad tonight should be a good game. Fancy us playing without a Striker tonight just trying to keep us in the game getting them back to "Fortress Anfield".
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #57: Jan 05, 2016 11:15:32 am
      I'm feeling very positive about this game. Klopp will certainly be taking it very seriously and I am sure the players will not want a repeat of what happened against Villa last season. I also believe because this is a cup game, Stoke will have to come at us and that is when we usually play well.

Mignolet
         Clyne            Lovren                     Sakho           Moreno

Lucas
                              Allen                   Can

Ibe                                       Coutinho   
                                      Benteke

Would love to see a goal spectacular as against Southampton, but I think Liverpool will win by the only goal 1-0

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #58: Jan 05, 2016 11:20:06 am
      I'm feeling very positive about this game. Klopp will certainly be taking it very seriously and I am sure the players will not want a repeat of what happened against Villa last season. I also believe because this is a cup game, Stoke will have to come at us and that is when we usually play well.

Mignolet
         Clyne            Lovren                     Sakho           Moreno

Lucas
                              Allen                   Can

Ibe                                       Coutinho   
                                      Benteke

Would love to see a goal spectacular as against Southampton, but I think Liverpool will win by the only goal 1-0

I think he will flood the midfield and I really think he is struggling to see what Benteke brings to a game to support the team.
      Also if Sturridge travels to watch the game isn't it about time he starts paying for his ticket.
      Funny thing about being a Liverpool supporter you cant help but be optimistic even when there is no logical reason to be.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #59: Jan 05, 2016 11:28:51 am
      Really need to get result tonight, cause don't really see that having the 2nd leg at home is that much of an advantage.
      They are good at home, so will be tough.
      Hope we leave out Benteke from first XI, even as an experiment just to see if we are more cohesive without him. If we're brutal, we can always bring him on later.
      Most importantly ... turn up, and fight.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #60: Jan 05, 2016 11:51:51 am

Number two keeper in Belgium and a very, very, very good goalkeeper (Klopp's words not mine)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #61: Jan 05, 2016 12:06:03 pm
      Number two keeper in Belgium and a very, very, very good goalkeeper (Klopp's words not mine)

We are signing a new goalkeeper Kamil Grabara next week mate. Klopp said he's only signed him to stop you moaning :)

He's only 16 but if Mignolet's as bad as you think, it shouldn't take Kamil long to break into the first team.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #62: Jan 05, 2016 12:17:11 pm
      We are signing a new goalkeeper Kamil Grabara next week mate. Klopp said he's only signed him to stop you moaning :)

:D

I'm a lot more upbeat this morning but its probably my usual pre match optimism kicking in.

On the forwards I think if were going to be using Benteke consistently I'd keep playing him and try and work something out.
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2016 01:10:38 pm by srslfc »
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #63: Jan 05, 2016 12:52:58 pm
      This is going to be a tough, tough match. Stoke aren't playing for Europe, so winning a cup for their supporters is a priority. Plus they're actually playing some really good football of late. I'm a little worried, but you never know what you get with us these days.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #64: Jan 05, 2016 12:59:51 pm

I'm a lot more upbeat this morning but its probably my usual pretty match optimism kicking in.

On the forwards I think if were going to be using Benzene consistently I'd keep playing him and try and work something out.

Benzene a toxic substance now banned - certainly toxic on these forums   :)

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #65: Jan 05, 2016 01:10:04 pm
      Benzene a toxic substance now banned - certainly toxic on these forums   :)

Benteke pisses me off for this more than his football. I correct that every time and still it posts wrong sometimes.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #66: Jan 05, 2016 01:10:54 pm

I'm a lot more upbeat this morning but its probably my usual pretty match optimism kicking in.

On the forwards I think if were going to be using Benzene consistently I'd keep playing him and try and work something out.

Ironically, benzene evaporates in the air. Much like our Christian.

And i, too, am optimistic for some reason. Blind faith probably.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #67: Jan 05, 2016 01:23:54 pm
      Could do with a bit of this tonight.

https://twitter.com/lfc/status/684359460567920640
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #68: Jan 05, 2016 01:27:13 pm
      Like to see Smith get a start tonight, though not in place of Moreno. Want 4 4 2 with Smith and Moreno interchangeable on the left.

Might switch off if I see Lallana Coutinho and Firmino all start with Benteke upfront on his own. It doesn't do anything for us except make us look poo
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #69: Jan 05, 2016 01:30:48 pm
      Like to see Smith get a start tonight, though not in place of Moreno. Want 4 4 2 with Smith and Moreno interchangeable on the left.

Might switch off if I see Lallana Coutinho and Firmino all start with Benteke upfront on his own. It doesn't do anything for us except make us look poo

I like the idea of Smith and Moreno both playing, mentioned it after our last game.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #70: Jan 05, 2016 01:38:56 pm
      If Benteke is to start then we may as well play Smith as he can cross the ball at least
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #71: Jan 05, 2016 01:51:23 pm

Good shout Bri.

Ibe Can Allen Moreno

Firmino Benteke
      DanMann

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #72: Jan 05, 2016 01:54:28 pm
      Liverpool FC have identified the problem in our current play, and shared photos on the facebook page!

Skills... fancy flicks... and then we lose possession.

(if any mod can shrink these photos?)

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #73: Jan 05, 2016 01:57:34 pm

Man, can be hard now watching the Luis clips   :f_wah:

Good man to have had when facing Stoke.

What I wouldn't give for a 3-5 mauling tonight...

Drop Benteke, 2 for Firmino, 2 for Cou, one for Ibe !!!!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #74: Jan 05, 2016 02:08:53 pm
      Fancy us putting Stoke to the sword tonight as Klopp has publicly challenged the players to prove that they ain't sh*t as we say they are ;D

Going yo be intense that's for sure.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #75: Jan 05, 2016 02:27:58 pm

He's only 16 but if Mignolet's as bad as you think, it shouldn't take Kamil long to break into the first team.

As bad as I think? Hands up who thinks Mignolet is good enough to be our number one keeper.....
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #76: Jan 05, 2016 02:34:14 pm
      As bad as I think? Hands up who thinks Mignolet is good enough to be our number one keeper.....

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #77: Jan 05, 2016 02:46:57 pm

looks like the brick wall at Melwood was probably demolished by Luis and didn't get rebuilt. Shameful attitude and if Stevie put it in his book then it must have some truth.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #78: Jan 05, 2016 02:51:30 pm
      I fear a 4-4-2 is an invitation for getting run over, esp with a static Benteke. Their attack is very versatile, Bojan drops deep to help his midfield win possession, spray quick passes to Shaqiri, Afellay/Joselu and Arnautovic, and start a quick counter. Our best bet to win this game would be to press high up and ensure Can-Lucas/Allen shield our defence against those counters.

Coutinho from the left has really been ineffective these past couple of weeks. I would play Ibe and Lallana as the 'wingers' in a 4-2-3-1, and Coutinho behind Firmino. So the front-6 would be like

Can-Allen
      Lallana-Coutinho-Ibe
      Firmino

-vs-

Bojan
      Arnautovic-Afellay-Shaqiri
      Whelan-van Ginkel
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #79: Jan 05, 2016 02:54:17 pm
      I am not as concerned about Simon and our defence as I am about our lack of goals recently. Its going to probably go one of two ways tonight lets pray its a good night for the Reds.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #80: Jan 05, 2016 03:33:15 pm
      Teams announced ???
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #81: Jan 05, 2016 03:47:17 pm

In around 3 hours time.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #82: Jan 05, 2016 03:48:52 pm
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #83: Jan 05, 2016 03:55:18 pm
      Damn it...gotta find a way to kill three hours...
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #84: Jan 05, 2016 03:58:32 pm
      I think we are looking for changes after the West Ham match but how many changes can he make with the players available to him.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #85: Jan 05, 2016 04:05:08 pm
      I think we are looking for changes after the West Ham match but how many changes can he make with the players available to him.

Tonight is not the time mate as bad as WH was.  It's our first opportunity to make a final, we need our strongest 11 out there even if they've failed miserably recently.

We have Exeter on Friday where we can see a few changes and give some of the lads a rest before Arsenal and the manc scum next week.
      RedWilly

• 9,224 posts | 1646 
      Reply #86: Jan 05, 2016 04:11:10 pm
      Two legs this isn't it?

Come on Reds, stay solid and take a scrappy 1 0 back to Anfield.

Time for the players to step up, they talk too much for my liking about how much they want to win, but fail to back it up, now is their opportunity to prove they truly want it.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #87: Jan 05, 2016 04:14:38 pm
      Tonight is not the time mate as bad as WH was.  It's our first opportunity to make a final, we need our strongest 11 out there even if they've failed miserably recently.

We have Exeter on Friday where we can see a few changes and give some of the lads a rest before Arsenal and the manc scum next week.

we cant drop many if any because he hasn't got replacements however Flanno might be available Friday having played today and came through well. 3 games in 6 days jurgens head must be spinning
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #88: Jan 05, 2016 04:16:14 pm
      Sinclair and Kent both in yesterdays training pics and neither featured in the u21s friendly earlier so maybe 2 new faces on the bench tonight.  Sinclair is a particularly interesting one as he's not been up at Melwood since his contract problems in the summer so at least Jürgen is looking at every option he has available.

I'd absolutely love to see Kent unleashed on this lot though, his pace will terrify them.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #89: Jan 05, 2016 04:27:37 pm
      I'd absolutely love to see Kent unleashed on this lot though, his pace will terrify them.

One of the standouts in pre-season the past couple years.

Probably more likely to feature against Exeter though, i'd guess.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #90: Jan 05, 2016 04:29:06 pm
      Sinclair and Kent both in yesterdays training pics and neither featured in the u21s friendly earlier so maybe 2 new faces on the bench tonight.  Sinclair is a particularly interesting one as he's not been up at Melwood since his contract problems in the summer so at least Jürgen is looking at every option he has available.

Kent was watching the U21 game so I don't think he'll be in the squad tonight. Hopefully he'll get a chance against Exeter on Friday.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #91: Jan 05, 2016 04:33:34 pm
      Which team will turn up today ???  The team that put City and Southampton to the sword, or the team that rolled over and died against Watford and West Ham?

Stoke will come ready to go to war.... will our lads??

We should be winning this, but it won't be easy by any means.  I just hope the lads show up with the right attitude and approach.  Show some F***ing pride boys!!! 

I'd drop Benteke and hope that a fluid front 3 can click.  Not that Firmino, Coutinho, or Lallana really deserve to keep their places, but what other options do we have???
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #92: Jan 05, 2016 04:37:56 pm
      Hard to tell which way Klopp will line up. If Benteke starts, then I think Smith has to start as well. I also like the idea of Smith and Moreno starting, as they both are a tad soft on the defensive side and are lining up against Shaquiri, who I've always rated and wanted to see here. If Benteke is dropped (which I hope he is, as he was handled easily by Collins vs. West Ham. Surely, Shawcross and company will handle hi even more easily) and Firmino up top, then I want to see Ibe, Couts and Lallana behind him, with all of them willing to move and interchange with each other. This one is making me very nervous if I'm being honest.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #93: Jan 05, 2016 04:46:00 pm
      One of the standouts in pre-season the past couple years.

Probably more likely to feature against Exeter though, i'd guess.

Quite probably mate.

Kent was watching the U21 game so I don't think he'll be in the squad tonight. Hopefully he'll get a chance against Exeter on Friday.

Was he?  Well that kyboshes my theory then  :D
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #94: Jan 05, 2016 04:59:45 pm
      Hard to tell which way Klopp will line up. If Benteke starts, then I think Smith has to start as well.

This ! It's bad enough that Benteke doesn't move but when he does find space, 9/10 Moreno's cross finds the first defender. Smith has to be the one raiding forward from the full back spot if we are going with Benteke.
      RedKalel
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts | 23 
      Reply #95: Jan 05, 2016 06:47:05 pm
      Ironically, benzene evaporates in the air. Much like our Christian.

That's the best laugh I've had all day. I really am worried about tonight's game, our team is screaming out for a pacy striker :-(
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #96: Jan 05, 2016 06:56:04 pm
      Benteke on the bench, Lucas, Allen and Can in midfield.

Quick Reply