Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 2nd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Adam Bogdan
      4 (3.4%)
      Connor Randall
      2 (1.7%)
      Jose Enrique
      2 (1.7%)
      Tiago Ilori
      2 (1.7%)
      Brad Smith
      69 (58.5%)
      Cameron Brannagan
      9 (7.6%)
      Kevin Stewart
      1 (0.8%)
      Ryan Kent
      6 (5.1%)
      Joao Teixeira
      15 (12.7%)
      Jerome Sinclair
      3 (2.5%)
      Christian Benteke
      0 (0%)
      Pedro Chirivella
      0 (0%)
      Sheyi Ojo
      5 (4.2%)
      Joe Maguire
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Voting closed: Jan 13, 2016 10:00:27 pm

Exeter 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate

Read 37759 times
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Re: Exeter 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #575: Jan 08, 2016 11:47:04 pm
      Crackin game that !!Why are we being so harsh in our comments (ffs).Have we forgotten the reason Klopp put out this team tonight? Brave move imho.I think they can all hold their heads high (ok maybe not Bogdan).Tex,Ojo,Smith and Brannigan showed real promise.Truth is,Exeter deserved that draw/replay at Anfield.And yes Lallana probably would have made a difference coming on,but if ( on that surface) he had a serious injury!!Well..Back to Anfield and onwards..
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #576: Jan 08, 2016 11:53:30 pm
      I am impressed with Smith, because of his non stop running that resulted in the  equaliser. He resembles Aldridge, nothing special, but hardworking with his running into the box, assured and compose inside the box but more importantly his anticipation and positioning inside the box is very good that many of our first team players lacked.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #577: Jan 09, 2016 12:09:42 am
      Ratings

Bogdan 2/10-Cardinal rule of goalkeeping, don't get beat via a corner, challenged by someone a foot smaller than you. Liverpool career over.

Smith 8/10 My MOTM. Looks the beans, tried to play footy on a sh*te pitch, gets stuck in, got an engine. Previous games has shown his lovely delivery too. One to watch I'm sure,

Illori 5/10 I just don't see it with him. All the fans crying out for him to be used, just like they previously did with Coates, and I would bet £100 he will not make it top level. I think behind the scenes he has an attitude problem too, must be the reason why he has been farmed out so many times. A waste of £7mil IMO.

Enrique 6/10 Grew as the game went on, but he has lost all remnants of pace. Obviously won't be here next season.

Randall 4/10 I feel for the lad, but he won't cut the mustard at Liverpool. Out of position too many times, didn't give anything going forward, and Exeter targeted him particularly first half.

Kent 6/10 some tidy touches, but will need to see more before I make a judgement on him.

Tex 7.5/10 IMO very similar to Couts, and that's why I feel he hasn't had his chance. Give him a better pitch, and a battler I.e Lucas or Milner next to him and he could dictate the play. At least he is quicker than F***ing Lallana on the ball.

Brannigan 6/10 see Kent.

Sinclair 4/10 thought he was sh*te dispite the goal. No movement, no involvement. Echo Mick, think he will end up lower Championship, league one and score maybe 10 a season tops.

Benteke 4/10 don't cross, won't score. Simple. So low on confidence as well that it's painful to watch at times.

Stewart 6.5/10 the one I liked the most out of the  three younguns in midfield. Would like to see him play a bit more,,in an actual pitch and not a quagmire.

Chiveralla 5/10 thought he was awful when he came on. Bad touches, leggy, didn't seem up for it.

Ojo 7/10 dare I say it, a little bit of Sterling in there?

Maguire 6/10 literally looked about 14. But did OK.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #578: Jan 09, 2016 12:13:18 am
      Now we know why Enrique hasn't been playing. Despite what Murphy said he used to be very mobile but now he's really slow. Too many injuries. Brad Smith looked really good and has a bright future. Bogdan nowhere close to the class of Mignolet.

Anyways good result all around

Considering he hadn't played for a year and was out of position, I don't think he was too bad. Any defensive frailties as a unit was down to lack of play time together and a hastily assembled starting eleven.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #579: Jan 09, 2016 12:18:22 am
      The draw is a good result in view of a make shift team we have in this game, at least we did not loose. I bet many of them  could be playing together for the first time in a competitive game. So, I'm not going to blast the lads here. They did their best.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #580: Jan 09, 2016 12:40:44 am
      What's with the Teixeira knocking.
      Him and Smith were boss tonight.

Tough game and they shone when Benteke and Bogdan got stuck in the mud.
      At least the youngsters gave a bloody damn and never stopped working for the entire game.
      Helps that they are both quality too.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #581: Jan 09, 2016 12:48:13 am

At least the youngsters gave a bloody damn and never stopped working for the entire game.

Tex didn't really kick on in the second half like you would have expected after his few flashes in the first half.

And bearing in mind he is almost 23 who would he replace in our first team?
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #582: Jan 09, 2016 01:09:27 am
      I liked how Klopp nipped the interviewers comment in the bud "This is Liverpool's future", 
      " No no we have players helping us out, because of the situation we find, ourselves in".
      The guys to smart to taken in by all the media hype about us,as for to night worrying with a bit of sunshine Smith and Tex will do a job, Kent Brannigan Stewart not sure about them same goes for  Chiveralla ,always like pace in our team the boy Ojo looked very promising ,well done to them for putting a shift in and getting the draw .
      We must be calling time on a few tho Bogdan ( who I wanted at the club) Sinclair  Enrique and Illori who`s a bomb scare an unfit one at that,the rest time will tell what shocked me more than anything is what we payed for some of these players talk about getting your chain pulled, paying £6 or £7  million for Illori is frightening if thats what you get.   
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #583: Jan 09, 2016 01:19:48 am
      It's great watching them making the step up mate and they've given a few more options to the boss in knowing who he can trust if needed. 

It really is. There's no reason why 4 or 5 of them from last night couldn't cement themselves a place in the squad in the not too distant future. It could potentially save us a lot of money in the transfer market by not having to overspend on squad players.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,941 posts | 285 
      Reply #584: Jan 09, 2016 01:27:41 am
      I can't believe Smith got MOTM.  Yes he took it well and had a good second half, but he drove me nuts in the first half.
      Teixera and Randall did themselves proud.
      Hopefully Sinclair added some $$$ to his price tag, cant wait till the F***ing weasels out the door. Yes he's got talent but clearly another moneygrabber.  I didnt actually think Ilori did too bad regardless of Lawro's comments.
      We were F***ing useless tonight, we probably got less than 10 crosses into the box, when we have one of the best headerers of the ball in the world, in the 18 yeard box.
      Delighted with the result though, Exeter deserve the payout - its where i went to college, and the performance from their players was excellent.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #585: Jan 09, 2016 01:33:33 am
      I can't believe Smith got MOTM.  Yes he took it well and had a good second half, but he drove me nuts in the first half.
      Teixera and Randall did themselves proud.
      Hopefully Sinclair added some $$$ to his price tag, cant wait till the F***ing weasels out the door. Yes he's got talent but clearly another moneygrabber.  I didnt actually think Ilori did too bad regardless of Lawro's comments.
      We were F***ing useless tonight, we probably got less than 10 crosses into the box, when we have one of the best headerers of the ball in the world, in the 18 yeard box.
      Delighted with the result though, Exeter deserve the payout - its where i went to college, and the performance from their players was excellent.

Not sure if you're being serious with some of these comments in all honesty. You can't believe that Smith got MOTM yet say that Randall did himself proud, suggesting that he had a better game.

Barely anything will have been added to Sinclair's price tag. His potential fee set by a tribunal will still be peanuts for a club like ours as he's done nothing worthy of note apart from his goal last night.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #586: Jan 09, 2016 01:43:09 am
      Not sure if you're being serious with some of these comments in all honesty. You can't believe that Smith got MOTM yet say that Randall did himself proud, suggesting that he had a better game.

Barely anything will have been added to Sinclair's price tag. His potential fee set by a tribunal will still be peanuts for a club like ours as he's done nothing worthy of note apart from his goal last night.

With regards to Randall it's a concern that opposition teams seem to target him quite a lot. I think it was Rubin Kazan who did so at Anfield a few months back and likewise Exeter did the same tonight. Opposition sides clearly see him as a weak link. Hard to see him making it at senior level.

Also important to address but we really shouldn't be letting Everton take the best youth talent in the region. While we've picked up some great talent from other clubs like Sterling at QPR and Ibe at (correct me if I'm wrong) Wycombe we've been very poor in discovering Mersey talent. One has to wonder about the scouting level at youth level as much as at senior. It seems to be an endemic that spreads across all ranks and something that needs addressing.

I think Klopp has some serious uplifting to do come the summer and will probably be looking at the faults in this club with a critical eye. We could definitely start by weeding out Fallows and Hunter in the transfer committee and start giving respect to our youth and reserve ranks. Thankfully Klopp has already stated that there won't be anymore reckless loan outs so that's a start.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #587: Jan 09, 2016 02:02:00 am

Thought Smith played well - not done a lot wrong anytime I've seen him - Teixeria maybe I expected a bit more.  Just a bit concerned that he's going the way of Suso and Pacheco.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #588: Jan 09, 2016 02:54:10 am
      Thought Smith played well - not done a lot wrong anytime I've seen him - Teixeria maybe I expected a bit more.  Just a bit concerned that he's going the way of Suso and Pacheco.

I could only watch the first half (may watch the second half sometime if I get the chance), but going off that alone, I thought Tex has all the skills to step up.

Ilori was poor, I was worried every time he went near the ball and he mistimed most of his jumps to head the ball. Didn't seem to have the confidence or the determination a CB needs.

Smith was probably the only player that came close to Tex and will probably have a much easier route to the first team than Tex too.

Of the other youngsters Kent flattered to deceive, looked good in moments but didn't do enough for me,  Brannigan was solid and a very precise passer, reminded me a little of Lucas with his no fuss game.

Sinclair took his goal well but you wouldn't bet on him to make the step up off this game. 

Good result imo, I would have taken the draw before the match. 

Well done to all the young players tonight, they may not all make the grade with us but they have all played for Liverpool now ... and that's something to tell the grand-kids.   
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #589: Jan 09, 2016 04:22:33 am
      I could only watch the first half (may watch the second half sometime if I get the chance), but going off that alone, I thought Tex has all the skills to step up.

Ilori was poor, I was worried every time he went near the ball and he mistimed most of his jumps to head the ball. Didn't seem to have the confidence or the determination a CB needs.

Smith was probably the only player that came close to Tex and will probably have a much easier route to the first team than Tex too.

Of the other youngsters Kent flattered to deceive, looked good in moments but didn't do enough for me,  Brannigan was solid and a very precise passer, reminded me a little of Lucas with his no fuss game.

Sinclair took his goal well but you wouldn't bet on him to make the step up off this game. 

Well done to all the young players tonight, they may not all make the grade with us but they have all played for Liverpool now ... and that's something to tell the grand-kids.   

I think Illori did well considering all the circumstances... the club has treated him poorly, sending him to a club thats a total mess and then not getting games there, Klopp himself said that most of the squad that played hasn't spent more than 45 minutes together. Add to that the fact that he paired with a make shift cb who also hasn't played for over an year. Illori made some impressive interceptions and I think a month around the first team and Klopp and he will carve a niche for himself in our team, I am not saying he will start every game but he might have a role here. He definitely earned half a season + the summer.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #590: Jan 09, 2016 04:41:23 am

If you missed the second half you missed the best of Ilori and Tex was mediocre as the game wore on. Ilori was in my opinion out best defender, Smith did well going forward but he still hasn't convinced me defensively, still, voted him MOTM.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #591: Jan 09, 2016 05:09:18 am
      If you missed the second half you missed the best of Ilori and Tex was mediocre as the game wore on. Ilori was in my opinion out best defender, Smith did well going forward but he still hasn't convinced me defensively, still, voted him MOTM.

I think Smith did alright defensively although I'd need to see him in a proper football environment to judge him and all the other players out there tonight properly.

It was a really strange game largely influenced by the shocking state of the pitch which is perhaps the worst I can remember Liverpool playing on in the last decade or so. Hopefully the same team can play at Anfield in the replay so we can judge them and their abilities in possession etc on a proper pitch.

Like yourself I thought Tex got worse as the game wore on (he was non existant in the second half) but he put in a good shift in the first half.

For consistency though Smith was definitely the MOTM out there tonight. Brannigan was also more or less stable throughout which was encouraging as well. 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #592: Jan 09, 2016 05:17:53 am
      Decent performance considering. Not sure why Kevin Stewart saw 90 minutes though, i felt Kent was doing well when he had the ball and making himself available so he should've stayed on instead.

Smith looked excellent. Just absurd to me that a youngster with no real experience is smarter and can produce more quality than a lad who has been with the Spanish national side and played top flight football for a couple seasons. Every cross is spot on and he times his runs on the outside and also cutting in from the flank as he bombs forward. Love watching him.

Texeira was good in the middle. Pitch sucked but he did well. As did Chirivella when he came on who put in a shift and tried to make things happen.

Brannagan played smartly. He put in some nice touches but he always tracked back, never stopped running and would cover for his defender as well. At one point in the second half he tracked their winger in the left back position and hoofed a cross away with the winger lurking. He lost the ball on one occasion and then busted a lung to run back and he ended up dispossessing their player 40 yards up the field from where he lost it. Looked ok.

Thought Ryan Kent looked good in the 55 or so minutes he got. Made some nice runs, looked good with the ball at his feet and played like a proper winger.

And now Benteke. You are garbage. What an absolute joke of a "professional" he is. Never made runs, always strolled to the ball when receiving it and every time someone played it to him he would lose it and complain to that person. Just F**k off. And he wore the armband which makes his performance more of a disgrace.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #593: Jan 09, 2016 05:52:53 am
      i am happy with the 2-2 outcome given the circumstances.   rememeber most of these players never played a game with each other so i thought they did ok

i do want to talk about enrique. alot of fellow posters are giving him the walking papers. i think that is harsh. he is far from match fit as he hasnt played much at all for a full year. mentally as well he has gone through alot.  i rate enrique as he was always hard to force off the ball.

personally i hope klopp gives enrique time to regain his fitness.  to not play a game for so long and then get thrown in a play a full game is a tough ask.  heck for members here that still play soccer. how do you feel with two weeks off due to the holidays and finally back to your first run out.  that turkey sitting heavy doesnt it?  :)
      Scottbot

• 9,627 posts | 2161 
      Reply #594: Jan 09, 2016 07:26:15 am

I agree, I'm not quite sure how Tex fading in the 2nd half is some kind of evidence that he won't make it. He won't be asked to play on pitches
      Like this very often in his career, neither will he play in many matches like this, in fact it was a very unique set of circumstances that are unlikely to be repeated.

The lad was excellent in the first half, showed more than enough to suggest he should get a look in with the first team. I k ow Brendan was a big fan, I'm really hoping Klopp sees something in him.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #595: Jan 09, 2016 08:01:01 am
      I missed the 1st 30mins
      been reading all these comments up here
      they are all different 'acceptable' opinions
       We have to consider(as the boss said in post match) this group had ONLY 45 mins of game training together before this game
      so all in all its a good result considering,  Not saying it was a great performance, the pitch made it more difficult
      we had benteke up front In 60 mins I watched there was only 1 cross from Ojo (I think)
      I agree with klopp when he said we have to consider our loan strategy, and the good prospects have to stay with the parent club, to play together
        voted smith MOTM   
      YNWA
      rossyred

• 9,316 posts | 1672 
      Reply #596: Jan 09, 2016 08:40:00 am
      Mystifying how we nearly lost Smith think he can more than cover for Moreno . Ojo the one for me changed our outlook up top and searing pace. Kent , Tex and Brannigan cannot judge on this pitch. Sadly some not up the grade on this viewing and oh wait they are Bogdan, Enrique and Benteke
      Thames Valley Red
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts | 19 
      Reply #597: Jan 09, 2016 09:10:32 am
      Exeter fan in Peace.

For us that was like winning a EURO semi-final in our eyes as a smaller club, our ULTRAS put on a good show and we now have the payout. We will have our two best players back as well for Anfield. Great FACUP run moneywise for a co-operative owned football club. As one of the owners looking forward to coming to Anfield.

All the best

Thames Valley Red

MOM Tom Nichols - no button to press

Quick Reply