Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      6 (6.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1.1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      3 (3.4%)
      Kolo Toure
      8 (9.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      3 (3.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      21 (23.9%)
      Joe Allen
      33 (37.5%)
      James Milner
      9 (10.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      1 (1.1%)
      Phil Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.1%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      2 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: May 01, 2016 10:00:21 pm

Villarreal 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post match debates

Read 41159 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Re: Villarreal 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post match debates
      Reply #575: Apr 28, 2016 10:19:22 pm
      How did Ibe stop Moreno squaring the ball at the end when he was through on goal?

another player who's IQ matches his boot size
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #576: Apr 28, 2016 10:19:27 pm
      My thoughts too mate, pragmatic tactics that should have seen us to a decent 0-0 draw BUT I always felt we could have grabbed a goal if we had a bit more up front so it's no wonder the finger is being pointed in Jürgen's direction with regards to Studge. I think it's a safe bet he'll start the return leg!

Still fancy us to win the 2nd leg 3-1

Only thing I can think of is that Surridge wasn't quite right. Always thought it was a little suspicious Benteke travelling.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #577: Apr 28, 2016 10:19:36 pm
      Yeah.  Interesting note that we conceded after we brought on a striker!
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #578: Apr 28, 2016 10:20:04 pm
      same here just poor concentration when its really needed highlights the quality we really have. Not picking on Joe allen but a top midfielder would have buried his chance imagine Gerrard running on to his chance. We at a level below ere we need to be

It's what separates the good from the great.

Make no mistake, I'm a fan and he played well and showed why he is a worthy player to have in the squad tonight, but the world class players bury that one.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #579: Apr 28, 2016 10:20:11 pm
      Why leave ourselves in a position where we must score multiple goals in the 2nd leg? Why not just go for the goal(s) in the first leg (when the opportunity is there) and take the pressure off ourselves?
      I think the management thinks likewise. Just that something went wrong. We now have a week to fix it in training. Which may not be a bad thing.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #580: Apr 28, 2016 10:20:15 pm
      Don't think so mate. They were pretty good in defense. Think we may have to settle for 2 and ensure they don't f**king score.

I agree. I actually think it'll be more of a difficult game at Anfield. Again, we aren't the best vs organised defensive teams.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #581: Apr 28, 2016 10:20:25 pm
      Because if we finished them off here, we wouldn't have to go to Anfield and score 2 for every one of theirs!   We had Sturridge sitting there doing nothing, what's Jürgen saving him for?

F**k knows dude.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #582: Apr 28, 2016 10:20:27 pm
      Gutted with that late goal, always feels ten times worst, people on here taking Villarreal far too lightly although their recent away record is pretty sh*te. Don't agree that we didn't try to score, created as many chances as them
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #583: Apr 28, 2016 10:20:55 pm

But how stupid are our players with 2 mins to go pressing so high up the pitch. Completely brainless for so many experienced players including Lucas, Milner and Lallana.

It was all of the,, look at our defensive shape when we lost the ball just prior to their goal, both fullbacks pushed on and touching the chalk, lovren and Toure sitting on the half-way line and middies playing too far forward. What the fu...ck were they thinking? Our line should have been a good 20 yards deeper, the fullbacks should have been tucked in and we should have seen the game out
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #584: Apr 28, 2016 10:21:38 pm
      If Ibe is petulant enough to delete tweets from the last year because he wasn't being picked, perhaps he should have the humility to delete his whole f**king Twitter account after that car crash of a performance.

and at the level we want to be at we can't afford to have Joe allen on the end of chances like that. Joe has done well but that one chance speaks volumes about our squad
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #585: Apr 28, 2016 10:21:45 pm
      It's what separates the good from the great.

Make no mistake, I'm a fan and he played well and showed why he is a worthy player to have in the squad tonight, but the world class players bury that one.

Most midfielders bury that, unfortunately all of our midfielders find that task a bit too difficult.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #586: Apr 28, 2016 10:22:51 pm
      I can't blame Klopp - we packed the midfield to stop their threat at the neglect of attack, and we did that. Some players losing their heads in the 90th minute is not the fault of the manager (considering we had a striker on at that time anyway). Let's remember we would have been pummelled if this were the last days of Rodgers (and I say that as a Rodgers supporter). There's still a lot of naiviety that needs to be ironed out with this bunch, and Klopp can't wave a magic wand to iron all this out on 8 months.

But old habits die hard and we lost our heads in the 92nd minute - give it a year and we wouldn't do that. Some are more naive than others - particularly the left side of Moreno, but more so Ibe who was shocking so pretty much making Moreno work overtime.

Whatever, nothing changes as we attack them next week.

It's not Klopp's fault because we had a static striker on for 2 minutes after not playing in god knows how long? I'm not sure how this can be made out to be some sort of a positive result just because we may have gotten beaten by more under Rodgers. It's not just the player's naivety though, the manager has the same problem at times in these games.

We go all out against Dortmund on two occasions yet do F**k all for most of the game against Villarreal. To say nothing has changed is a clear lie, we now need 2 to go through, we would have only needed 1 or even 0 if we'd have pressed for the goal properly. Let's hope our defence stays awake for 90 mins in the 2nd leg. Asking for a miracle that though.

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #587: Apr 28, 2016 10:23:05 pm
      Klopp didn't "get it all wrong". For 92 minutes he got it all right - then we were hit by a sucker punch goal. That's football for you. 60 more seconds and we're all saying 'solid result'.

With no Sakho, no Henderson, no Can, no Origi and Studge who doesn't work hard enough up front, he made a decision to go with Firmino. It worked against Man City, it just didn't work tonight.

I'm more inclined to ask why Firmino gave the ball away so many times tonight.

He didn't bring Studge on after 60, 70 or 80 minutes because he didn't need to bring him on - the plan was working just fine. It's easy to say he should have done this, he should have done that after the match has ended.

Best team lost.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #588: Apr 28, 2016 10:23:09 pm
      Most midfielders bury that, unfortunately all of our midfielders find that task a bit too difficult.

its a fair point mate they are goal shy. Emlyn hughes Terry Mac, right through to Stevie our midfielders score goals
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #589: Apr 28, 2016 10:24:05 pm
      It was all of the,, look at our defensive shape when we lost the ball just prior to their goal, both fullbacks pushed on and touching the chalk, lovren and Toure sitting on the half-way line and middies playing too far forward. What the fu...ck were they thinking? Our line should have been a good 20 yards deeper, the fullbacks should have been tucked in and we should have seen the game out

Which means our team isn't that smart and Jürgen should have directed as you have said. Anyway we gave the goal away. Let's get behind the team.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #590: Apr 28, 2016 10:24:07 pm
      Klopp didn't "get it all wrong". For 92 minutes he got it all right - then we were hit by a sucker punch goal. That's football for you. 60 more seconds and we're all saying 'solid result'.

With no Sakho, no Henderson, no Can, no Origi and Studge who doesn't work hard enough up front, he made a decision to go with Firmino. It worked against Man City, it just didn't work tonight. I'm more inclined to ask why Firmino gave the ball away so many times tonight. He didn't bring Studge on after 60, 70 or 80 minutes because he didn't need to bring him on - the plan was working just fine. It's easy to say he should have done this, he should have done that after the match has ended.

Best team lost.

I am not happy but not at all pissed off by the performance we will destroy them at a packed emotional Anfield
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #591: Apr 28, 2016 10:25:17 pm
      I am not happy but not at all pissed off by the performance we will destroy them at a packed emotional Anfield
      Agreed. Get ready for another Anfield European night.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #592: Apr 28, 2016 10:25:24 pm
      Fukn woeful that never deserved anything more to be fair.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #593: Apr 28, 2016 10:26:45 pm

With no Sakho, no Henderson, no Can, no Origi and Studge who doesn't work hard enough up front, he made a decision to go with Firmino. It worked against Man City, it just didn't work tonight. I'm more inclined to ask why Firmino gave the ball away so many times tonight. He didn't bring Studge on after 60, 70 or 80 minutes because he didn't need to bring him on - the plan was working just fine. It's easy to say he should have done this, he should have done that after the match has ended.

Best team lost.

Since when is 0-0 getting it all right? They were there for the taking tonight. Had Klopp thrown on one of our strikers for one of our under-performing attacking players we might've won. Bringing Jordon Ibe on wasn't a great decision either. He was horrendous.

Most of us weren't only saying he should have done this or he should have done that after the match has ended. A lot of us were calling for him to bring on one of our strikers during the match too.

If you're questioning why Firmino is giving the ball away so often surely the logical decision is to bring him off?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #594: Apr 28, 2016 10:26:55 pm
      See, sometimes you believe players could do a job out there but sometimes they just let you down. I'd say poor on field execution. The players made mistakes too.

Agreed Allen should have scored, Moreno could have or at the very least should have passed it on for a tap in but when you have the best player on both sides sitting on the bench and you are crying out for an away goal to make it easier on us, then you would expect the Boss to throw him on at some stage.

They are gonna park the bus at Anfield and we all know we struggle against teams that do that to us.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #595: Apr 28, 2016 10:27:07 pm
      We can score three at Anfield. Anyone thinks otherwise?

Me I think we will get 2, it's not letting any in that worries me.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #596: Apr 28, 2016 10:27:19 pm

I'm sure we can get three goals. With a week of fixing up and everyone of us charged up at the game.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #597: Apr 28, 2016 10:27:40 pm
      In summary we had two chances, they had two and took one of them.

sh*t happens sometimes!

Quick Reply