Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Loris Karius (End of Contract)

Read 207804 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Loris Karius Player Thread
      Reply #414: Dec 06, 2016 09:03:36 pm
      The stats don't tell you what shots were actually 'savable' and what shots weren't, that's why they are useless.

Karius' shot to save ratio on that pen was heavily favoured in Wilson's favour and therefore it would be entirely wrong to blame Karius for not saving that shot. But using the stats as rudimentarily as you do means that goes against Karius as a shot stopper.

And of course those stats are the same for Mignolet, who did not have the luxury of playing in a team who is much better at dominating games, and at preventing copious amounts of shots on goal.

Mignolet has many faults, shot stopping and reflex saves aren't one of them and Karius is certainly not better than him at this. And Karius while hasn't convinced on that front (a primary for a GK), he hasn't convinced on crosses either, he does sweep better. However, his kicking at times has played his own team mates into trouble, he played a ball straight out to Pogba which if Ibrahimovic would have stayed onside and scored he would have been rightly slaughtered for, like his goal kick that went out for a corner last week.  :lmao:

There isn't, as some we still try and suggest any 'night and day' between them, and that is the sad indictment of it all.

The supposed upgrade doesn't actually look any better.

It's very difficult to argue against this, and I think anyone who does based on what we've seen so far is deluding themselves. My own feeling is that at the moment if we took a snapshot on current form, Mignolet is probably the better keeper of the two by a fraction. The reason I'd stick with Karius is that whereas we've seen Migs enough times to pretty much know for certain he isn't going to get better, Karius we must assume (if we genuinely do trust the manager) is capable of much better than he's shown so far.

A more pertinant question IMHO than Migs or Karius and who is better is why on earth we didn't just buy Joe Hart when he was available. He is (once again based on what we've seen so far) in an absolutely different stratosphere to both of our keepers, Man City were willing to sell and he wanted to come. Quite what wasn't to like about the idea I didn't understand at the time and I don't understand now to be totally honest.

« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2016 03:02:00 pm by bigmick »
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,048 posts | 539 
      Reply #415: Dec 06, 2016 09:43:38 pm
      It's very difficult to argue against this, and I think anyone who does based on what we've seen so far is deluding themselves. My own feeling is that at the moment if we took a snapshot on current form, Mignolet is probably the better keeper of the two by a fraction. The reason I'd stick with Karius is that whereas we've seen Migs enough times to pretty much know for certain he isn't going to get better, Karius we must assume (if we genuinely do trust the manager) is capable of much better than he's shown so far.

A more pertinant question IMHO than Migs or Karius and who is better is why on earth we didn't just buy Joe Hart when he was available. He is (once again based on what we've seen so far) in an absolutely different stratosphere to both of our keepers, Man City were willing to see and he wanted to come. Quite what wasn't to like about the idea I didn't understand at the time and I don't understand now to be totally honest.

I agree with a lot of this. I must admit I didn't want to sign Joe Hart at the time. Although that was partly cos we had already signed Karius so I thought we had already our upgrade on Mig. But yeah in retrospect it looks like we should have signed him.

I think you are right that  Karius might yet turn out to be better than Mig long term, whereas we know Mig's limitations are always likely to be there.
      If it was April and we were out of the running for the title I'd be going - yeah play Karius, let's see as much of him as we can and try and develop him in the heat of battle.
      But we are right in the title race. To me that means we have to play the players who are the best we have now. We have given Karius a chance to take the number 1 spot. I think it was right that he was given that chance. But if after a couple of months we still think that Migs right now is the better keeper ( and you say you do think he is), then in my opinion we have got to play him.

The priority has to be trying to win the title when we are in the hunt for it, not developing a kid who may turn out to be better than Migs long term, but who, on current form at least, is not yet.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,847 posts | 6788 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #416: Dec 07, 2016 02:52:30 am
      When the 4th goal went in, I couldn't quite tell what the F**k was going on. I don't know whether it was me being off my rocker or the fact that I was watching it on my ipad. All I saw was the scramble in the box then I threw the ipad to the other side of the room and went to bed.

I have now seen that goal thanks to Neil Mellor breaking it down on the LFCTV review show and A) I can't believe how much room we gave them on the flank for the lad to have 4 little touches then shoot the ball in and then F***ing B) It bounced of Karius' chest. FFFFAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKK.

The lad must have a F***ing chest of F***ing steel, because it's not the 1st time I've seen the ball bounce of it and a few times he's been lucky enough to scramble in time to get the ball back. Needs to hold onto that ball for F***ing dear life from now on.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #417: Dec 07, 2016 06:35:48 am

That's fair actually. Boruc is terrible.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #418: Dec 07, 2016 09:17:05 am
      Overlooked on the 4th goal was the role of a certain Jordan Ibe. Sucked our lot in then released it to the fella who had the shot really well, made a mile of space for him. Wijnaldum runs out but doesn't get there, he needs to be spotting that a second or two before it pans out.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4417 
      Reply #419: Dec 07, 2016 12:17:55 pm
      Ooh look he may not be as sh*te as many on here think!

https://twitter.com/footballfactman/status/806227892908789760
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #420: Dec 07, 2016 01:20:51 pm

What has he made like one mistake in about 6 games? Atrocious witch hunt by people who don't know better. These are the sort of wankers who replay his gifted corner against Sunderland time and time again while not actually watching the couple of times he came off his line to deny Sunderland in that match. The sort of wankers who forget that he made about 4-5 really good saves against Watford (the last team to get as many shots on our goal before Bournemouth). Those saying he should be dropped for Mignolet should be sectioned under the Mental Health Act. Idiots!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,601 posts | 1682 
      • YNWA
      Reply #421: Dec 07, 2016 01:53:26 pm
      What has he made like one mistake in about 6 games? Atrocious witch hunt by people who don't know better. These are the sort of wankers who replay his gifted corner against Sunderland time and time again while not actually watching the couple of times he came off his line to deny Sunderland in that match. The sort of wankers who forget that he made about 4-5 really good saves against Watford (the last team to get as many shots on our goal before Bournemouth). Those saying he should be dropped for Mignolet should be sectioned under the Mental Health Act. Idiots!

What are you, his mother? Not saying he should be shot at dawn for Gods sake. Just looking at options - if you think Karius is better option than Migs right now, fine.
      Karius hasn't really been tested yet anyway, so not sure how anyone can be so sure about him
      http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/stats?competition=1&season=20160&category=goalkeeping&sort=9
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #422: Dec 07, 2016 02:14:49 pm

How many times has the defence fu**ed up and Migs and Karius have had to cope with the consequences?
      A witch hunt indeed when that factor is common to both 'keepers, that said Karius does appear to have better positional awareness and a wee bit more confidence than Mignolet.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #423: Dec 07, 2016 02:23:04 pm

:lmao:

Harsh but fair.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #424: Dec 07, 2016 09:52:08 pm
      He was sh*te, he lost that game for us by simply being in goal and being totally sh*te. Witch hunt my arse.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4417 
      Reply #425: Dec 07, 2016 10:01:42 pm
      He was sh*te, he lost that game for us by simply being in goal and being totally sh*te. Witch hunt my arse.

Then how about a witch hunt against Firmino for missing that sitter against Saints which cost us 2 pts.............?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #426: Dec 07, 2016 10:02:48 pm
      In which case how about a witch hunt against Firmino for missing that sitter against Saints which cost us 2 pts.............?

Yep. Double standards from so called 'supporters'.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4417 
      Reply #427: Dec 07, 2016 10:06:26 pm
      Yep. Double standards from so called 'supporters'.

Probably posters who just like in normal life outside of football have to blame someone be it foreigners, the EU, the govt, Ken Dodd you name it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4417 
      Reply #428: Dec 07, 2016 10:21:04 pm
      :lmao:

Now now snitch, still wetting the bed I see...

Its you again Fatty, you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about something that I have reported about you?

Honestly your not that important that I need to report your repulsive posts, people can see them for themselves.

Oh and the snitch this and that, I assume you are over 10 years old.........Grow up you bell-whiff.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4417 
      Reply #429: Dec 07, 2016 10:55:35 pm
      You clearly have an issue with my "repulsive" posts, instead of stalking me round the board with innuendo and slur, put me on ignore - it's clearly doing you no good.

Hopefully, this advice will help you in the future.

How is you being a bellend a slur?

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4417 
      Reply #430: Dec 07, 2016 11:48:03 pm
      Time to grow-up.

The world unfortunately for you isn't Orwellian.

Yup maybe for both of us but can't still see how any one of sane mind could describe the society we live in as Orwellian?

Turns out it's a Karius thread!

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #431: Dec 08, 2016 12:35:32 am
      Yup maybe for both of us but can't still see how any one of sane mind could describe the society we live in as Orwellian?

Turns out it's a Karius thread!

I've cleared this thread of my recent posts.

I suggest we completely ignore each other unless post are armicable towards one another.

It is the Karius thread. Some people thought is most recent performance was poor, others don't want to hear it. That's their prerogative.

P.S. I didn't say society was Orwellian.  ;)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #432: Dec 08, 2016 01:23:00 am
      Ignore is everyones friend. I've never understood the tendency of some posters to try and get other Liverpool fans banned on forums. Different if the guy is an out and out WUM and doesn't actually support the club, but as was recently the case with Beerbelly when he got yellow carded, it rarely looks good IMHO for those waving an imaginary card in the face of the mods. The result while such people are banned is the forum becomes more pointless than it actually is. If everyone agrees with each other all the time you get one post every four hours and it gradually peters out. Check Newkit out if you don't believe me, and the fact that those waving the imaginary cards are often more offensive than the people they are asking to be banned makes it all the more ironic.

If people can't debate nicely just ignore each other (I've been ignoring people I consider it pointless to debate with for years). Whether you use the official ignore button or simply read their stuff and treat it with the contempt it deserves is up to you, but no need to try and get good posters banned.   
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #433: Dec 08, 2016 04:57:33 am
      Ignore is everyones friend. I've never understood the tendency of some posters to try and get other Liverpool fans banned on forums. Different if the guy is an out and out WUM and doesn't actually support the club, but as was recently the case with Beerbelly when he got yellow carded, it rarely looks good IMHO for those waving an imaginary card in the face of the mods. The result while such people are banned is the forum becomes more pointless than it actually is. If everyone agrees with each other all the time you get one post every four hours and it gradually peters out. Check Newkit out if you don't believe me, and the fact that those waving the imaginary cards are often more offensive than the people they are asking to be banned makes it all the more ironic.

If people can't debate nicely just ignore each other (I've been ignoring people I consider it pointless to debate with for years). Whether you use the official ignore button or simply read their stuff and treat it with the contempt it deserves is up to you, but no need to try and get good posters banned.   

Hear hear, well said.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #434: Dec 08, 2016 07:24:12 am

Yellow carded?

Thought he packed up on a holiday to Marbs being a nice fella and all.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,502 posts | 4841 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #435: Dec 08, 2016 09:54:52 am
      Then how about a witch hunt against Firmino for missing that sitter against Saints which cost us 2 pts.............?

Firmino, Clyne and somebody else missed sitters. Difference is, though, they've both been instrumental in getting us to where we are.

Arguable that Karius is pulling things the opposite way. Improved since a shaky start but reverted right back to type on Sunday.

Wouldn't say it's a witch hunt anyway, just people on an internet forum voicing their concerns about a goalkeeper they don't rate.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #436: Dec 08, 2016 10:05:27 am
      Firmino, Clyne and somebody else missed sitters. Difference is, though, they've both been instrumental in getting us to where we are.

Arguable that Karius is pulling things the opposite way. Improved since a shaky start but reverted right back to type on Sunday.

Wouldn't say it's a witch hunt anyway, just people on an internet forum voicing their concerns about a goalkeeper they don't rate.

Good post.

I would add, don't rate yet.

Whether he comes good is a matter for the crystal ball.

He looks very raw to me.

Given that Mignolet is the worst goalkeeper to ever have lived in the solar system, you'd have thought any replacement would have been better. Not quite working out like that. And much to your demise, we'll probably have to wait for the crystal ball (1 season at least) to see how good he really is.

Quick Reply