Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      3 (4.7%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      5 (7.8%)
      Dejan Lovren
      8 (12.5%)
      James Milner
      3 (4.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (7.8%)
      Adam Lallana
      6 (9.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      2 (3.1%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      9 (14.1%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (3.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      6 (9.4%)
      Marko Grujic
      14 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: Aug 24, 2016 05:06:57 pm

Burnley 2-0 Liverpool: In game and post match debate

Read 34708 times
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Re: Burnley 2-0 Liverpool: In game and post match debate
      Reply #529: Aug 20, 2016 06:04:35 pm
      Same problems from last season.
      tq redz
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 14 
      Reply #530: Aug 20, 2016 06:09:51 pm
      9 goals conceded in 3 games.(Defence anyone)  😒
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #531: Aug 20, 2016 06:15:29 pm
      on an Olympic theme I heard some one say over the last four years they treated every game like an Olympic final . We still have a problem and it is we are mentally weak as a team we feel sorry for ourselves and hide behind the stats suggesting having huge amounts of possession gives you the right to win games. Don't know about anyone else but I am sick and tired of the excuses just f***in do what your very well paid for.

Yep, as far as I know no football match was ever decided on possession stats! It matters not one jot that we had 81% possession, the only stat that matters is they scored 2, we scored 0 so they got 3 points, we got none! Simples!
      Sadly some of our players seem to think that we are somehow the better team if we have 35 passes before taking a shot, and they do 4 passes and score! Sometimes less is more!
      Burnley were very organised today, they had a plan and they orchestrated it perfectly. We could learn a thing or two, especially defensively!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4420 
      Reply #532: Aug 20, 2016 06:20:03 pm
      It's all well and good doing triple sessions and trying to harry the opposition into mistakes, but that all is on the premise that the opposition wants to come out and play.
      With a midfield as sh*t as ours we will continue to struggle against teams that sit deep and stay compact.
      We don't have the intelligence in midfield to break these sort of teams down.

Milner should not be played at LB against a team that sits deep, we need width and quick deliveries which are not going to happen with him checking onto his right foot all the time.

In these sort of games a cerebral midfielder is needed. In fact three midfielders is probably not helpful either,  should suffice with Can and another.

Firmino and Sturridge don't have any sort of understanding and we might as well accept Sturridge is no longer able to stretch defences if looks like the injuries have robbed him of that explosive pace that scared defenders shitless.

Klopp needs to look at that performance and realise it's the same sh*t from last season so nothing has changed.

Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #533: Aug 20, 2016 06:22:52 pm
      Imagine if we could endure watching our rivals struggle badly against fodder sides.

We're an embarrassment from top to bottom, fed up of this club....can't even fully enjoy a holiday knowing Liverpool lost.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #534: Aug 20, 2016 06:24:52 pm
      calculating the 80% possession
      at least 50% of that passes between  goalie, CBs FBs and Henderson
      midfield was poor ,infact very poor , Henderson is NO DM, let alone a leader,, and I think that's the position we really badly need.
      YNWA
      7DocUnleashed
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts | 10 
      Reply #535: Aug 20, 2016 06:24:56 pm
      New season - new start - new hope - same shower of pish.
      That's the joy gone out of my Saturday night then.

I know Klopp is a top man. And I'm glad we have him. And Along with me there's plenty on here who haven't won any titles.
      But surely we can't all be wrong.

Henderson couldn't trap a bag of coal. Was he wearing football boots or flippers today?
      Milner is not a left back. Neithers Moreno.
      Lovrens a liability.
      I could go on.

Do you think those lads will be as downbeat as We will be tonight? Or will their weekly pay checks be some comfort to them?

Sort it out Jürgen. And don't ignore the obvious to save face.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #536: Aug 20, 2016 06:26:14 pm
      New season - new start - new hope - same shower of pish.
      That's the joy gone out of my Saturday night then.

I know Klopp is a top man. And I'm glad we have him. And Along with me there's plenty on here who haven't won any titles.
      But surely we can't all be wrong.

Henderson couldn't trap a bag of coal. Was he wearing football boots or flippers today?
      Milner is not a left back. Neithers Moreno.
      Lovrens a liability.
      I could go on.

Do you think those lads will be as downbeat as We will be tonight? Or will their weekly pay checks be some comfort to them?

Sort it out Jürgen. And don't ignore the obvious to save face.

£100k per week does soften the blow somewhat
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #537: Aug 20, 2016 06:27:06 pm
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #538: Aug 20, 2016 06:29:53 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #539: Aug 20, 2016 06:32:30 pm
      Just seen Andre Gray's old tweets that are doing the rounds across the media right now, condoning killing of gays and perving on a 15 year old girl.

That guy scored against us. What a perfect day.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #540: Aug 20, 2016 06:35:55 pm
      So many toys and soggy pants flying around in here.

I guess we are supposed to just say "oh well"?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #541: Aug 20, 2016 06:36:43 pm
      For anyone who hasn't seen the stats:

Possession: 81% Liverpool.

Shots: 26 Liverpool - 3 Burnley

On Target: 5 Liverpool - 2 Burnley

Corners: 12 Liverpool - 1 Burnley

Fouls : 5 Liverpool - 14 Burnley

It's odd because looking at those stats it looks like we absolutely battered them but the distinct impression I got is we were only slightly threatening on a few occasions. Listening to Jürgen's press conference afterwards he puts it down a lot to decision making, basically shooting when the pass is better and passing poorly in the final 3rd. I think the problem is much larger than just that. We've had this problem occur far too frequently to think that the players will suddenly get the message, really do hope the next time we come up against a 'minnow' that we see nothing even resembling our play today.

Possession, shots, running, tackles and all the other bullshit stats they come out with are worth nothing if you don't stick the ball in the back of the net. Goals win games, so in the only really important statistic, Burnley battered us.
      DanMann

• 5,797 posts | 892 
      Re: Live: Burnley V Liverpool
      Reply #542: Aug 20, 2016 06:38:04 pm
      This looks like a loss. We never look like scoring and everything is scrappy.

Just not sure what to make of this!!

So, the 2nd half gave us nothing.. a loss indeed.

What a rubbish game, and to me shows how its the attitude of our players. They were awful today, and they simply lowered their expectations and fight for the game given the opposition.

No chance for the title.  :roll:
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #543: Aug 20, 2016 06:38:34 pm
      I guess we are supposed to just say "oh well"?

that's football then....no we need to get angry and make sure the players and the club know we will not accept anymore of this bullshit
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #544: Aug 20, 2016 06:41:28 pm
      So, the 2nd half gave us nothing.. a loss indeed.

What a rubbish game, and to me shows how its the attitude of our players. They were awful today, and they simply lowered their expectations and fight for the game given the opposition.

No chance for the title.  :roll:

what more motivation could they need going to newly promoted Burnley and making it two away victories on the bounce what more do they need. Is this just the disease of the modern overpaid footballer they have nothing to play for they are untouchable. Give me 11 local lads playing in #Div 2 giving it their all anyday of the week compared to waiting to see what team has turned up today
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #545: Aug 20, 2016 06:42:01 pm
      WTF happened there ?! >:(

Thats my weekend ruined then... :(

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #546: Aug 20, 2016 06:44:20 pm
      Just seen Andre Gray's old tweets that are doing the rounds across the media right now, condoning killing of gays and perving on a 15 year old girl.

We don't just lose, we give glory to human beings who deserve to rot in hell.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #547: Aug 20, 2016 06:45:24 pm
      I read a while back that Klopp was looking to adopt the 4-3-3 (as opposed to his default 4-2-3-1) knowing that many teams in England would be happy to concede possession, defend deep, and play long-ball counter attacking footie.  Against this type of opposition, gegenpressing won't work and we will have to make better use of our possession play to create goal scoring opportunities.  It's all well and good to recognize this, but the tactics, team selection, and application were poor today and Jürgen deserves his share of blame for that. 

All of our play was through the middle, and against a team that defends the depth and width of the 18 yard box we are always going to struggle if we can't establish a threat from wider areas.  The absence of Mane was probably detrimental.  Our best crosser (Milner) was stuck at LB and had to check inside anytime he wanted to cross the ball.  The only dangerous ball we had from a wide area was the time Firmino whipped a ball across the face of the 6 yard line, but he was our #9 and there was no one in the box to attack the ball. 

Of our starters, only Lovren comes away with reason for any praise.  Of the subs, only Grujic and Origi. 

We have the talent and ability to throttle teams like Burnley -- hopefully Klopp learns something from this match and gets the selection and tactics right next time....

Poor day at the office lads.  Dust yourselves down and start preparing for next week.  YNWA
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #548: Aug 20, 2016 06:47:47 pm

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #549: Aug 20, 2016 06:49:49 pm
      Mignolet - if we had diff keeper would he have kept clean sheet? Indifferent about him today - 5
      Clyne - got forward but not his fault he's crossing into a box full of defenders - 5
      Lovren - can't really recall him doing much, thought did bit better than his partner on a quiet day - 5
      Klavan - thought he looked stretched today feel times, not his best outing - 4
      Milner - lots of time and space on his side, not much end product, tho F**k all to aim at - 4
      Hendo - have defended him but that was painful to watch today, back, sideways, get the F***ing thing forward quicker - 4
      Lallana - I'd have got him off the pitch A LOT sooner, completely ineffective - 3
      Wijnaldum - too similar to Hendo, both of them in there playing slow short passes, no variety - 4
      Firmino - looks a bit stronger this season, less wasteful, but up against a packed defense today - 5
      Coutinho - gave him the LWMOTM (Least Worst...), if anything was going to happen, would have been thro him - 6
      Sturridge - terrible, slow, rusty, should not have stayed on the pitch as long as he did. Awful - 3
      Origi - needed to come on at half time, did OK when came on - 5
      Grujic - would have played him from start, just to have something a little different - 5
      Moreno - with so much possession might have been a better option than Milner - still didn't necessarily improve things - 5

Klopp - too late making changes today, pattern of game never changed, started studge, deja vu against a plucky minnow - 3

Did someone invent a time machine and bring me back throught the last couple of years?
      85% possession or something like that. 20 attempts. No goals.
      He will need to find a way past teams doing this, cause this is what they will do. I would.

Only 2nd game. But the knee doesn't have to be in the jerk position to say that was dire stuff.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #550: Aug 20, 2016 06:55:11 pm

Hope the sh*t hits him with this, utter c*nt.
      tq redz
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 14 
      Reply #551: Aug 20, 2016 06:56:01 pm
      Same as last season,win one,lose one☹

Quick Reply