Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Swansea?

Loris Karius
      2 (1.4%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      17 (12%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (0.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      40 (28.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (2.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      7 (4.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      13 (9.2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      57 (40.1%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (0.7%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Voting closed: Oct 05, 2016 02:24:10 pm

Swansea City 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24332 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Re: Swansea City 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Oct 01, 2016 02:34:26 pm
      Milner doing a Maximus Decimus Meridius...

"Are you not Entertained"....?

https://twitter.com/bigsportgb/status/782208230990675968
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #415: Oct 01, 2016 02:35:06 pm
      A Come back and good win today. Well done lads....Felt that we could of, and maybe should of gone more direct earlier, and it showed when we did, pull back a goal and won a penalty..
      MOTM... Hard pressed to chose here... No one really stood out...Yes Firmino scored one and won a pen, but a side from that was far from impressive... For me Milner or Sturridge... Milner had a fairly solid yet overly unimpressive game, But the game change in favour with Sturridge's introduction

Sturridge was crap mate, he was slow at making choices and walked around on the spot when he got the ball, made the wrong passes and slowed down the game to a crawl. Milner is my MOTM. Sturridge was annoying today.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Live: Swansea V Liverpool
      Reply #416: Oct 01, 2016 02:35:24 pm

Hahaha was perfect that mate wasn't it, proper Peter Kay moment.

Brilliant to come from behind when not near our best, really poor first half from us. Much, much better second half, not nearly at the top of our game but heading into the international break we go while sitting high in the league.

Karius: Dodgy moments, couple of ordinary saves. Thought he flapped a couple of times, put it down to coming back from the hand injury. 6/10

Clyne: None stop, wasn't good in the first half though, didn't win his battle for their goal. Also put us deep in sh*t with another sloppy pass but was better going forward in the second half. 6/10

Matip: By far his worst performance in a red shirt, seemed at odds with Karius at the end there. Also looked a little flustered by the refs decisions. Lost his man a couple of times with quizzical looks at Clyne when really it was probably his responsibility. 6/10

Lovren: Lost out for their goal, wasn't the best performance by Dejan and in the first half I thought he was very poor, improved in the second. 6/10

Milly: Slotted his pen with composure, it's almost expected now. Some poor crosses but was constantly an option, decent defending late on and I thought overall was our best defender. 7/10

Henderson: Not as good as recent times, still a nice assist for Bobby. Positionall though he is getting very good indeed. Didn't let their midfielders get away in that second half and was always the man picking up their biggest threat on the run. 7/10

Wijnaldum: Grew into the game but wasn't good enough first half, better in the second and does seem to link attack and defence well quite effortlessly at times which I think looks a little casual but it's good play. 6.5/10

Lallana: Didn't really get long enough to impose himself, hopefully the international break gives him long enough to recover, key player for us these days.

Coutinho: Very weak first half, much better in the second, should have scored or at least tested the keeper with the lovely lay off on the edge of the box. A couple of weak free-kicks too but it did result in the goal for Bobby so all is forgiven! :D 6.5/10

Mane: Thought he was one of the few players to come out of the first half with credit. Was excellent in the second too, he's just pure quality and was always a threat. I love him. 7.5/10

Firmino: Top stuff again from Bobby, won the pen, scored a beautiful header and was involved in so much of the stuff we did right that it still makes me laugh how he comes in for stick in these threads. MotM without a question again from my perspective 8/10

Sturridge: Not good enough really from Studge, don't think he was involved enough, definitely question his pace still, didn't see him sprint all game (not to his old standards). If Ings or Origi want a place they have to challenge more though as right now he's clearly second choice and Origi isn't doing nearly enough to pressure it. 5.5/10

Jürgen: Thought we came out flat and for that he has to take responsibility but hearing from Milly there he had a go at them at half time and got the response necessary. Must work on set-piece defending, we're not nearly good enough right now but it's 3 points in the bag again and that's all you can ask in any game. 7/10

Well in Redmen, great comeback!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #417: Oct 01, 2016 02:35:37 pm
      Thought the keeper was very dodgy

Yeah, didn't fill me with confidence today. Think he will keep his place for mancs though.   
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #418: Oct 01, 2016 02:35:56 pm

boom, boom, boom

:cool-smiley-027:
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,548 posts | 1495 
      Reply #419: Oct 01, 2016 02:36:33 pm
      Great second half red men,never gave up the fight or threw the towel in ,that's one of the things I want to see from a Liverpool side & that determination was one of the reasons we came away with the 3 points,it was never going to be an easy task against these as they did give city a game last week.
      Going to give Bobby MOTM but have to say Milner is so calm and clinical with his pens  & as for Karius still early days for the lad but I'm sure he will improve once he gets a good run in the side.
      Well done Redmen onwards & upwards.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #420: Oct 01, 2016 02:37:25 pm
      Great teams find a way. Sometimes you just have to grind out a result.

I'm proud of the lads for showing intestinal fortitude.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #421: Oct 01, 2016 02:37:32 pm
      Are you taking the piss, because I don't recall Karius making any save today?

I understand now that Kairus is not a goalkeeper. His role is first a sweeper. :lmao:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #422: Oct 01, 2016 02:37:37 pm
      Play poorly away from home and still get all three points?

Can't argue with that.

Can enjoy the weekend now!
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #423: Oct 01, 2016 02:38:59 pm
      Almost enjoy a win like that more than last week.

Much more determined in the second half and probably should have had a couple more.

While he is much better with the ball at his feet, Karius looks to be struggling with crosses - needs to step it up if he is to keep his place.

At least we can sit back and see how the others go now.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #424: Oct 01, 2016 02:39:45 pm
      Make no mistake we were lucky to get the 3 points today against a spirited but limited side.

Awful first half good second half but our defending is still hugely suspect and we should have conceded another awful goal at the death.

We are still not the finished article but what's hugely encouraging is we are still winning games sitting 2nd in the league while defending horribly.

Once we sort out our defending particularly of set pieces we will be a powerful force.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #425: Oct 01, 2016 02:39:58 pm
      I know the popular choice for MOTM will be Firmino but Milner really is proof in point that the greatest asset a footballer can have is not speed, not skill but a brain.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #426: Oct 01, 2016 02:40:15 pm
      I've always thought Swansea were lucky to score their goal. Their missed sitter in the added time evens things out.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #427: Oct 01, 2016 02:40:22 pm
      Give Karius some time, he's new to the league and the Premier League is something completely different for goalkeepers compared to La Liga and the Bundesliga. De Gea was one of the biggest goalkeeping talents at Atletico before he went to the Mancs. He was sh*te in his first year too, he put on some muscle and started getting used to the Premier League. Now he's winning them games. There are plenty examples of good goalkeepers struggling at the start of their PL careers. Think this is only Karius' second game with this defence in front of him too, they need some time to gel. Oh and get rid off that fraud Achterberg, he's F***ing useless.

Really happy how we fought back in that second half, I'm amazed as to how calm I was when we conceded, never had any doubts we would get back in the game. Though I was slightly worried when Lallana had to come off. You can see how important he is for us and our style of play.

Firmino and Milner a toss up for MOTM for me. Both were brilliant in that second half.

Onwards and upwards and another massive three points in the bag!
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #428: Oct 01, 2016 02:41:11 pm
      That feels massive.

First half an hour was awful, last hour was good but wasteful. Even at the end some silly decisions made when closing it out. But we won, when it really felt like it wasn't going to be our day.

Side point, the officiating was f**king abysmal for both sides today.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #429: Oct 01, 2016 02:43:03 pm
      Phew!!!

Any idiot banging on about winning the league and all the rest of it, behave yourselves!

We might yet, but it is highly unlikely I think.

One game at a time, nice to go away with the win, but much to ponder after that one.

Karius not taking his chance, in my opinion his place is in doubt. Might just shade it on his superior footwork. Only just!

I agree - we cannot get ahead of ourselves.

This match wasn't very good and we've got a hell of a lot of work to do to sure up typical errors. And saying 'we're gonna win the league' just sets us up for a fall.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #430: Oct 01, 2016 02:43:59 pm
      Give Karius some time, he's new to the league and the Premier League is something completely different for goalkeepers compared to La Liga and the Bundesliga. De Gea was one of the biggest goalkeeping talents at Atletico before he went to the Mancs. He was sh*te in his first year too, he put on some muscle and started getting used to the Premier League. Now he's winning them games. There are plenty examples of good goalkeepers struggling at the start of their PL careers. Think this is only Karius' second game with this defence in front of him too, they need some time to gel. Oh and get rid off that fraud Achterberg, he's f**king useless.

Really happy how we fought back in that second half, I'm amazed as to how calm I was when we conceded, never had any doubts we would get back in the game. Though I was slightly worried when Lallana had to come off. You can see how important he is for us and our style of play.

Firmino and Milner a toss up for MOTM for me. Both were brilliant in that second half.

Onwards and upwards and another massive three points in the bag!

Too right, his CV is shocking. He came from Tranmere for fucks sake....
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #431: Oct 01, 2016 02:46:51 pm
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #432: Oct 01, 2016 02:47:02 pm
      Yeah, didn't fill me with confidence today. Think he will keep his place for mancs though.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I would feel more confident with Mig in goal against the scums. They play a lot of crosses into the box for the likes of Zlatan and Fellani, and from what I've seen in the past two games, Karius still hasn't looked comfortable with crosses.
      I thought before he was dropped, Mig actually looked much better at dealing with crosses.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #433: Oct 01, 2016 02:47:11 pm
      Too right, his CV is shocking. He came from Tranmere for fucks sake....

Goodison will be his next destination. Let's throw him there. :lmao:
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,556 posts | 1547 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #434: Oct 01, 2016 02:47:47 pm
      How I saw it

Karius (4) - Today he looked almost as shaky as anything I've seen from Migs. Almost. Worrying.

Clyne (7) - Solid game, a couple of shaky moments but overall solid
      Lovren (6) - Looked unsure for most of the first half but a better second half
      Milner (7.5) - One or two moments caught out of position but he's still learning that position, nevertheless a good performance
      Matip (7) - Another solid display from him, and he didn't cost £80m either (freebie I believe). Very silky ball playing defender

Henderson (6) - aside from the cross for Firmino's goal, captain struggled with his passing today
      Wijnaldmum (6) - not a bad display, but for me, he needs to recycle the ball a lot quicker

Mane (7) - worked hard, turned their fbs a few times, good display
      Couts (7) - Had a quiet first half (as did everyone) but the amount of times he picked the ball up and just ran at them was good to watch
      Lallana (n/a) - Worked hard until taken off (pulled his groin)

Firmino (8.5) - Outstanding for me, worked, closed down, scored, great stuff (MotM)

Sturrdige (4) - Oh dear. Looks like he's lost not only a yard of pace but also a few litres of stamina too
      Origi (n/a) - Not much time to shine but average display. Should have been holding the ball up but I saw very little of that
      Can - (n/a) Good defensive display, not much time to do anything though

Biggest talking point for me though, was out first half performance. Why!? It's inexplicable.

Ok I don't expect us to be flying every game, but I also don't expect us to abandon our philosophy and look like we've just lost the last 3 games on the bounce and not won them. This is confounded more by our second half performance which for 30 minutes was worlds apart.

Klopp (11) - just coz'.
      « Last Edit: Oct 01, 2016 03:26:03 pm by Rush »
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #435: Oct 01, 2016 02:49:13 pm
      Also, how refreshing is it to have a reliable penalty taker once again?  ;D ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #436: Oct 01, 2016 02:49:20 pm
      Hahaha was perfect that mate wasn't it, proper Peter Kay moment.

Brilliant to come from behind when not near our best, really poor first half from us. Much, much better second half, not nearly at the top of our game but heading into the international break we go while sitting high in the league.

Karius: Dodgy moments, couple of ordinary saves. Thought he flapped a couple of times, put it down to coming back from the hand injury. 6/10

Clyne: None stop, wasn't good in the first half though, didn't win his battle for their goal. Also put us deep in sh*t with another sloppy pass but was better going forward in the second half. 6/10

Matip: By far his worst performance in a red shirt, seemed at odds with Karius at the end there. Also looked a little flustered by the refs decisions. Lost his man a couple of times with quizzical looks at Clyne when really it was probably his responsibility. 6/10

Lovren: Lost out for their goal, wasn't the best performance by Dejan and in the first half I thought he was very poor, improved in the second. 6/10

Milly: Slotted his pen with composure, it's almost expected now. Some poor crosses but was constantly an option, decent defending late on and I thought overall was our best defender. 7/10

Henderson: Not as good as recent times, still a nice assist for Bobby. Positionall though he is getting very good indeed. Didn't let their midfielders get away in that second half and was always the man picking up their biggest threat on the run. 7/10

Wijnaldum: Grew into the game but wasn't good enough first half, better in the second and does seem to link attack and defence well quite effortlessly at times which I think looks a little casual but it's good play. 6.5/10

Lallana: Didn't really get long enough to impose himself, hopefully the international break gives him long enough to recover, key player for us these days.

Coutinho: Very weak first half, much better in the second, should have scored or at least tested the keeper with the lovely lay off on the edge of the box. A couple of weak free-kicks too but it did result in the goal for Bobby so all is forgiven! :D 6.5/10

Mane: Thought he was one of the few players to come out of the first half with credit. Was excellent in the second too, he's just pure quality and was always a threat. I love him. 7.5/10

Firmino: Top stuff again from Bobby, won the pen, scored a beautiful header and was involved in so much of the stuff we did right that it still makes me laugh how he comes in for stick in these threads. MotM without a question again from my perspective 8/10

Sturridge: Not good enough really from Studge, don't think he was involved enough, definitely question his pace still, didn't see him sprint all game (not to his old standards). If Ings or Origi want a place they have to challenge more though as right now he's clearly second choice and Origi isn't doing nearly enough to pressure it. 5.5/10

Jürgen: Thought we came out flat and for that he has to take responsibility but hearing from Milly there he had a go at them at half time and got the response necessary. Must work on set-piece defending, we're not nearly good enough right now but it's 3 points in the bag again and that's all you can ask in any game. 7/10

Well in Redmen, great comeback!

Interesting insight there Luke. Although I have to say Henderson's sloppiness in advanced areas did cause a couple of very dangerous counter attacks from Swansea in that second half. Mane likewise I wasn't so impressed with him this time, thought he could have pressed better in the first half.

Quick Reply