Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 265792 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #989: Jun 11, 2017 02:05:09 pm
      http://www.90min.com/posts/5107050-german-tax-inquiry-could-force-southampton-owner-katharina-liebherr-to-sell-club

So  vee haf another  tvist to der tale .

Miss  Loveman  (Liebherr)  is facing a tax inquiry in Germany .
      This article came out four days ago.

It looks like the big fraulein has her oversized knickers twisted and is pissed off at the word in general.

P45s anyone ?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #990: Jun 11, 2017 03:53:08 pm
      http://www.90min.com/posts/5107050-german-tax-inquiry-could-force-southampton-owner-katharina-liebherr-to-sell-club

So  vee haf another  tvist to der tale .

Miss  Loveman  (Liebherr)  is facing a tax inquiry in Germany .
      This article came out four days ago.

It looks like the big fraulein has her oversized knickers twisted and is pissed off at the word in general.

P45s anyone ?

Sale to a Chinese group already approved I believe.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #991: Jun 11, 2017 05:13:09 pm

Chelsea’s level of contact with Virgil van Dijk is being examined by Southampton ahead of another potential complaint to the Football Association, according to reports.

Earlier this week, Liverpool were forced to issue an official apology to their Premier League rivals after details of Jürgen Klopp’s meeting with the Dutch centre-back were leaked.

Southampton’s decision to take Liverpool’s illegal approach to the FA has also forced Klopp’s side to end their interest in the player.
      But Independent.ie now claim that Southampton are also looking into Chelsea’s pursuit of Van Dijk and will threaten similar action if there is enough evidence against the Premier League champions.

The extent of Liverpool’s approach resulted in several messages between Klopp and the 25-year-old, while the Liverpool manager even sent the Netherlands international videos about his future team tactics.
      The report claims that Southampton’s hierarchy are ‘more determined than ever’ to keep hold of Van Dijk and will only allow the Dutchman to leave if a significantly large offer is received.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/10/chelsea-could-face-complaint-from-southampton-over-virgil-van-dijk-transfer-6700024/#ixzz4ji8UISgX

Lets see if this happens and lets see who is the successful bidder.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      Reply #992: Jun 11, 2017 09:53:21 pm
      Is anyone actually still clinging on [like sh*t to a blanket] to the hope this will happen? 😄

I'm not holding my breath, but I'd honestly be surprised if he's still at Southampton come September.  He only just signed his new deal 5 weeks ago.  Surely both VVD and his agent knew at that time that there were offers forthcoming.  Did VVD really go from wanting to stay on the South Coast for the next 6 years to wanting to leave asap in the matter of 5 weeks?!?!  To me, this one smacks of a gentleman's agreement -- a new deal gets VVD a nice signing bonus and he has more leverage to ask for even higher wages from his new club; Southampton get more leverage to maximize the transfer fee. 
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #993: Jun 11, 2017 09:58:06 pm
      I'm not holding my breath, but I'd honestly be surprised if he's still at Southampton come September.  He only just signed his new deal 5 weeks ago.  Surely both VVD and his agent knew at that time that there were offers forthcoming.  Did VVD really go from wanting to stay on the South Coast for the next 6 years to wanting to leave asap in the matter of 5 weeks?!?!  To me, this one smacks of a gentleman's agreement -- a new deal gets VVD a nice signing bonus and he has more leverage to ask for even higher wages from his new club; Southampton get more leverage to maximize the transfer fee. 

The contract was signed last year mate.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      Reply #994: Jun 11, 2017 10:43:20 pm
      The contract was signed last year mate.

Ha!  Well there goes that theory!!  😎
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #996: Jun 12, 2017 12:52:35 pm
      Due to the publicity and the embarrassment it caused then I can't see us going back in for VVD even if he puts in a transfer request.

I can imagine Klopp is rather miffed because he was quite clearly our top target.  I feared he would walk because of this.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #997: Jun 12, 2017 12:57:10 pm
      Due to the publicity and the embarrassment it caused then I can't see us going back in for VVD even if he puts in a transfer request.

I can imagine Klopp is rather miffed because he was quite clearly our top target.  I feared he would walk because of this.

Does that not seem a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I'd have thought, with him being our top target, with the groundwork (illegal or otherwise) being done then if he does try to force a move we'd jump to the top of the queue as fast as we could.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #998: Jun 12, 2017 01:27:15 pm

All I'm going to say is that considering he seems so hell bent on joining Liverpool he's done next to F**k all to show it. I get that he doesn't want to look a dick to Southampton fans in case he ends up staying there but it's got to the stage where he now has to play his part (embarrassing as it is).
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #999: Jun 12, 2017 01:35:50 pm
      All I'm going to say is that considering he seems so hell bent on joining Liverpool he's done next to f**k all to show it. I get that he doesn't want to look a dick to Southampton fans in case he ends up staying there but it's got to the stage where he now has to play his part (embarrassing as it is).

I'm not sure on this "hell bent" but he'd most certainly chosen us over City and the Chavs by all reports. After all this he may just think, nah F**k that I'll stay where I am.

I highly doubt that though and the persuasive powers of agents is well known, a massive pay rise, a huge fee for the agent is going to be all the motivation we need to see him throw in a transfer request in my humble opinion.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #1000: Jun 12, 2017 01:53:45 pm
      Can he submit a transfer request prior to the window opening?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1001: Jun 12, 2017 03:42:55 pm
      I just don't see how a transfer request and him openly wanting to join us would make Southampton do business with us and sell him after the fiasco that happened.

We all should move on, this will never happen!!!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8621 
      Reply #1002: Jun 12, 2017 03:47:06 pm
      I just don't see how a transfer request and him openly wanting to join us would make Southampton do business with us and sell him after the fiasco that happened.

Quite simple, player throws in transfer request - makes his intention clear he doesn't want to play for Southampton and then FSG stump up the cash required to buy him from Southampton*

*Obviously the flaw being FSG actually splashing the type of cash required to sign him!!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1003: Jun 12, 2017 03:52:35 pm

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

On occasion a team deep down will want to sell for a high price whilst also trying to save face with the fans by saying how much they want to keep said player. By submitting a transfer request it helps make the club's mind up, they get their high price and then puts the fans on the player's back rather than the club's. It also saves the selling club a few quid by not having to pay out in loyalty fees etc.

Everybody wins.

The selling club gets the money and fans on board, the player gets the move he wants and the other club gets the player.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1004: Jun 12, 2017 03:59:36 pm

Think that the hope is by him doing a transfer request will basically show he's not committed to being at Saints, could potentially become a disruption to the rest of he team etc so will result in him being sold. Basically using the power that so many players seem to have over club now.

Personally, I'd like us to sign him, I rate him up there with Alderweireld as being the best in the league and he's still got plenty of time to develop and improve his game further.
      However, from a neutral point of view, it's good to see that for a change a team isn't just rolling over and being dictated to where a player is concerned because too many players have far too much to say over their futures now and can seem to dictate if and when they are sold.

Ultimately, Saints aren't budging on this, VVD can hand a transfer request in but to be honest he's made the situation difficult for him and us, he chose to sign a 6 year contract half way through the season when he was playing well and interest was creeping in about him from other teams so with 5years+ on his contract, they don't have to sell, they aren't in financial difficulty so if he kicks up a fuss they can happily banish him from the first team for the next few seasons.

Maybe due to the amount of business we have done with them over the last few years we took it upon ourselves to assume we could go straight on and contact the player and sort a fee out later on.
      Either way, they've made complete fools of us.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1005: Jun 12, 2017 04:06:35 pm
      Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

On occasion a team deep down will want to sell for a high price whilst also trying to save face with the fans by saying how much they want to keep said player. By submitting a transfer request it helps make the club's mind up, they get their high price and then puts the fans on the player's back rather than the club's. It also saves the selling club a few quid by not having to pay out in loyalty fees etc.

Everybody wins.

The selling club gets the money and fans on board, the player gets the move he wants and the other club gets the player.

Think that the hope is by him doing a transfer request will basically show he's not committed to being at Saints, could potentially become a disruption to the rest of he team etc so will result in him being sold. Basically using the power that so many players seem to have over club now.

I agree, but on this occasion , after the tapping, I just can't see it happening, ever, I really can't. And if he does throw a tantrum and hand a transfer request, do they need the cash? would they really want to sell to us? It'll end up like the Tevez situation and next season or 2, VVD will most likely join a big money club and forget this saga and earn twice as much and be happy.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1006: Jun 12, 2017 04:11:04 pm

I agree, but on this occasion , after the tapping, I just can't see it happening, ever, I really can't. And if he does throw a tantrum and hand a transfer request, do they need the cash? would they really want to sell to us? It'll end up like the Tevez situation and next season or 2, VVD will most likely join a big money club and forget this saga and earn twice as much and be happy.

Us buying their players in the past has basically been providing them with their transfer budgets. This summer if we don't buy Van Dijk then their owners are going to have to cough up for a change.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #1007: Jun 12, 2017 04:20:37 pm
      Us buying their players in the past has basically been providing them with their transfer budgets. This summer if we don't buy Van Dijk then their owners are going to have to cough up for a change.

Very true, and I think that they were ultimately pissed that there wasn't a market to drive his transfer deal up even higher so when it appeared we had leverage to possibly get him for less than 50m, then they took the step of reporting us. Really a weird situation but had we just put in an official bid, all of this could have been avoided because once we make an official bid....then if VVD voices his desires to move on, we have better platform from which to campaign for him even through the media. But without  making our interest official, it allowed them to use the only remaining bargaining chip they had which was to threaten us  getting charged for impropriety. It was really a dick move on their part, but an amateurish move on ours that allowed them to use that strategy to begin with.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #1008: Jun 12, 2017 04:21:32 pm
      This is not to exonerate anyone who may have effed up with the VVD move, but do you guys think we could provide a significant upgrade to our starting XI if we spent a combined 75 million, say 40 and 35, on a center back and a left back? Maybe this would be better for us in the long run.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1009: Jun 12, 2017 04:49:30 pm
      This is not to exonerate anyone who may have effed up with the VVD move, but do you guys think we could provide a significant upgrade to our starting XI if we spent a combined 75 million, say 40 and 35, on a center back and a left back? Maybe this would be better for us in the long run.

All depends on who those players are.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1010: Jun 12, 2017 05:00:20 pm

Does the TV money kick in this summer or was it last summer that clubs had access to and able to spend?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #1011: Jun 12, 2017 05:04:34 pm
      All depends on who those players are.

Sure. I guess what I mean is, do you think the current market would still allow upgrades for us (over Lovren and Milner) at those positions, for that price?

I know it's hard to say when it is hypothetical.

Quick Reply