Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 268610 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,262 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #1771: Aug 07, 2017 06:38:07 pm

I'm told Manchester United are putting a bid in.  :f_whistle:
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #1772: Aug 07, 2017 06:38:24 pm
      they don't want to make enemies of Liverpool. They won't get any players from us on loan again, we could loan players to their mid table rivals instead and push them down the table a bit. Ojo and Ings to West Ham for a season anyone? That'll be 6 points less for Southampton.

That'll scare em, quaking in their boots I'm sure, especially the prospect of Danny Ings lying on the West Ham treatment table. I think we must have loaned them like two players in the last ten years. Adam Hamill went there 6-7 years ago when they were in the championship and then possibly one other (a defender I think, or it might have been Darren Potter). Either way I don't think they'd lose much sleep over it.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1773: Aug 07, 2017 06:40:30 pm
      I guess that means no Gareth Bale then.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,238 posts | 1111 
      Reply #1774: Aug 07, 2017 06:43:49 pm

How do u see this playing out Keith?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1775: Aug 07, 2017 06:46:45 pm
      If I were Van Dijk I would want to go to Liverpool. World class attacking options but below par defence. Automatic starter every game in a champions league side.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #1776: Aug 07, 2017 06:50:24 pm
      Mate,  they sacked Puel after a season in charge. As if they didn't speak to any other managers behind his back before they jibbed him.

Tapping up manager's isn't against the rules. Only players
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1777: Aug 07, 2017 06:56:30 pm
      Tapping up manager's isn't against the rules. Only players
      Not sure about that, could be a misconception. Would have to see the FIFA document to believe that. If it counts as a transfer then tapping up is against the rules. Managers can resign at anytime but lose bonus.
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #1778: Aug 07, 2017 07:01:23 pm
      Transfer request  :) hope were still the club he wants

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40855579
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,262 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1779: Aug 07, 2017 07:02:04 pm
      I guess that means no Gareth Bale then.

Media bullshit Rib as usual  :( Wish it was true.  ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,262 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1780: Aug 07, 2017 07:04:25 pm

Think it's a no brainer mate. It's not if he joins Liverpool its when. Good edition to your squad.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,132 posts | 127 
      Reply #1781: Aug 07, 2017 07:15:09 pm
      TIA reporting that Van Dijk, has issued an official transfer request
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #1782: Aug 07, 2017 07:15:14 pm
      Not sure about that, could be a misconception. Would have to see the FIFA document to believe that. If it counts as a transfer then tapping up is against the rules. Managers can resign at anytime but lose bonus.

I am sure
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #1783: Aug 07, 2017 07:15:55 pm
      Mate,  they sacked Puel after a season in charge. As if they didn't speak to any other managers behind his back before they jibbed him.

Think it was more about the way we leaked it to the press on a regular basis that pissed them off.

And to be fair, kicking up a fuss is probably going to result in them pocketing an extra 20m for him (if he joins us that is) so fair play to them.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1784: Aug 07, 2017 07:18:47 pm
      And to be fair, kicking up a fuss is probably going to result in them pocketing an extra 20m for him (if he joins us that is) so fair play to them.

That is what this whole dance has been about since the beginning, while at the same time being able to say "we did our best to keep him".
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,132 posts | 127 
      Reply #1785: Aug 07, 2017 07:24:48 pm
      Think it was more about the way we leaked it to the press on a regular basis that pissed them off.

He is quoted as saying, it was Southampton, who leaked it to the press in his 'request'.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1786: Aug 07, 2017 07:28:13 pm
      About time!
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,132 posts | 127 
      Reply #1787: Aug 07, 2017 07:32:39 pm
      “Unfortunately I feel I have no alternative after I was given notice of the Club’s intention to impose a disciplinary sanction against me of a fine equivalent to 2 weeks wages. I will be appealing what I feel to be an unjustified sanction and their inability to follow the correct disciplinary protocol in due course.

Over the past six months I have held numerous discussions with representatives of the board, the former manager Claude Puel as well as the new manager Mauricio Pellegrino to inform them all of my desire to leave the club in search of a new challenge.

I am incredibly ambitious and want to achieve as much as I possibly can to fulfil my potential in what is a very short career as a professional footballer. I want to play European football again and challenge for major honours and as such I would like Southampton to consider the interest in me from top clubs should it still exist.

I have been left frustrated by the club’s position that I am not for sale and am disappointed that enquiries from multiple top clubs have been consistently rebuffed.

The period of time that I have just spent injured and unable to play has put a number of things into perspective and made me realise just how important it is to take major opportunities should they arise.

I have consistently relayed my feelings to senior management at Southampton in what I believed to be private and personal conversations. Disappointingly, these conversations have regularly found their way into the media.

I would also like to make clear that I have never once refused to train. I can confirm that I was asked about my frame of mind and for all of the reasons mentioned above I was open and honest in saying that I did not feel I was in a settled mindset given the circumstances.

Following this conversation the manager explained that he only wanted players who he felt were 100% committed to Southampton and told me I would therefore have to train away from the first team.

As a proud professional I am insulted by the suggestion that it was me who refused to train and so feel it is important to point out the true version of events.

I had very much hoped to retain the good relationship I’ve always enjoyed with everyone at the club, especially the fans, but unfortunately in light of everything that’s happened this has now been seriously affected.

I would like to make clear that I have nothing but gratitude to everyone at Southampton for giving me the opportunity to play in the Premier League.

However, the time for me to move on is now and I hope to be able to work with the club to find the best resolution to suit all parties.”

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1788: Aug 07, 2017 07:36:58 pm
      “Unfortunately I feel I have no alternative after I was given notice of the Club’s intention to impose a disciplinary sanction against me of a fine equivalent to 2 weeks wages. I will be appealing what I feel to be an unjustified sanction and their inability to follow the correct disciplinary protocol in due course.

Over the past six months I have held numerous discussions with representatives of the board, the former manager Claude Puel as well as the new manager Mauricio Pellegrino to inform them all of my desire to leave the club in search of a new challenge.

I am incredibly ambitious and want to achieve as much as I possibly can to fulfil my potential in what is a very short career as a professional footballer. I want to play European football again and challenge for major honours and as such I would like Southampton to consider the interest in me from top clubs should it still exist.

I have been left frustrated by the club’s position that I am not for sale and am disappointed that enquiries from multiple top clubs have been consistently rebuffed.

The period of time that I have just spent injured and unable to play has put a number of things into perspective and made me realise just how important it is to take major opportunities should they arise.

I have consistently relayed my feelings to senior management at Southampton in what I believed to be private and personal conversations. Disappointingly, these conversations have regularly found their way into the media.

I would also like to make clear that I have never once refused to train. I can confirm that I was asked about my frame of mind and for all of the reasons mentioned above I was open and honest in saying that I did not feel I was in a settled mindset given the circumstances.

Following this conversation the manager explained that he only wanted players who he felt were 100% committed to Southampton and told me I would therefore have to train away from the first team.

As a proud professional I am insulted by the suggestion that it was me who refused to train and so feel it is important to point out the true version of events.

I had very much hoped to retain the good relationship I’ve always enjoyed with everyone at the club, especially the fans, but unfortunately in light of everything that’s happened this has now been seriously affected.

I would like to make clear that I have nothing but gratitude to everyone at Southampton for giving me the opportunity to play in the Premier League.

However, the time for me to move on is now and I hope to be able to work with the club to find the best resolution to suit all parties.”

You've not read the last page of this thread at all have you? :D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1789: Aug 07, 2017 07:37:10 pm
      Van Dijk should sue Southampton for breaking confidentiality and bullsh*tting about him.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1790: Aug 07, 2017 07:44:28 pm
      I hope you are right, can't remember where I'd read before about them being able to accept only the bid they wanted even if lower.

Cast your mind back FL. You don't need to go too far buddy.

See if any of this story sounds familiar - real familiar? 😉

Saturday 1 September 2012 01.05

Tottenham Hotspur lived up to their reputation for transfer deadline day drama when they emerged in the final hours to beat Liverpool to the £6m purchase of Clint Dempsey...

Dempsey's arrival represented the final act of a summer-long saga, that had seen the American forward agitate for a move, miss matches for Fulham and draw the interest of a clutch of rival clubs...

Fulham reported Liverpool to the Premier League last week, claiming that they had tapped him up while Aston Villa had a £7m offer for the 29-year-old accepted on Friday morning.

With Liverpool, though, unable to come up with a competitive figure, Tottenham swept in to finalise the deal at a slightly lower price that Villa's.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/sep/01/tottenham-clint-dempsey-hugo-lloris

How quickly "we" forget; eh? 😄
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1791: Aug 07, 2017 07:46:09 pm
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1792: Aug 07, 2017 07:51:25 pm
      Cast your mind back FL. You don't need to go too far buddy.

See if any of this story sounds familiar - real familiar? 😉

Saturday 1 September 2012 01.05

Tottenham Hotspur lived up to their reputation for transfer deadline day drama when they emerged in the final hours to beat Liverpool to the £6m purchase of Clint Dempsey...

Dempsey's arrival represented the final act of a summer-long saga, that had seen the American forward agitate for a move, miss matches for Fulham and draw the interest of a clutch of rival clubs...

Fulham reported Liverpool to the Premier League last week, claiming that they had tapped him up while Aston Villa had a £7m offer for the 29-year-old accepted on Friday morning.

With Liverpool, though, unable to come up with a competitive figure, Tottenham swept in to finalise the deal at a slightly lower price that Villa's.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/sep/01/tottenham-clint-dempsey-hugo-lloris

How quickly "we" forget; eh? 😄
      quite sure that is because Dempsey wanted to play for Spurs not because Fulham had a preference.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,132 posts | 127 
      Reply #1793: Aug 07, 2017 07:53:59 pm
      You've not read the last page of this thread at all have you? :D

sh*t. I have now, soz people.....part timer

Quick Reply