Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 293033 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #2737: Aug 24, 2017 08:16:32 pm
      And where exactly are they going to find another £100M+
      Maybe if they sell Messi they will have to buy Sanchez back, Sanchez, Suarez and Dembele  :lmao:
      It was said Sanchez and Messi did not really get along.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #2738: Aug 24, 2017 08:21:09 pm

What do you mean will be?
      Barca don't have the money to sign both.

This year.

And where exactly are they going to find another £100M+

Different point right, mate? I was just trying to point out that Coutinho and Dembele could have been looked at for two different positions and that Coutinho need not necessarily be an option for Dembele. They just had to sign some big money player so that Bartomeu gets some breathing space.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2739: Aug 24, 2017 08:23:40 pm
      This year.

Different point right, mate? I was just trying to point out that Coutinho and Dembele could have been looked at for two different positions and that Coutinho need not necessarily be an option for Dembele. They just had to sign some big money player so that Bartomeu gets some breathing space.

Well Messi's dad is already sniffing City out for his son next season...Luis will be a year older, Inesta is losing it.

Tell you what....that is a sinking ship and Paulinho and Dembele aren't the coast guard coming to save the day.

Just as likely as Barca getting Phil next Summer would be PSG/RM coming in for him.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #2740: Aug 24, 2017 08:27:14 pm

Just as likely as Barca getting Phil next Summer would be PSG/RM coming in for him.

Provided he has a blinder of a season this year which I think he will (and which I hope he has). And, the scenario you have mentioned works out well for us. Nothing like a bidding war for our player eh? The flip side to it will be our inability to use that money wisely.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2741: Aug 24, 2017 08:28:21 pm
      Coutinho will be more of a replacement for iniesta right?
      Liverpool said no and Barca got Dembele instead. Don't try to be a Journo. Those in the know idiots plucking garbage out of thin air, clutching at straws in a sad attempt to get followers. It is not happening this year now. Barcelona would have liked them both, but that would have been more like 100m for each, they can't afford 150m for each! There is more chance of them going for Draxler now, which they can probably get for 50m. What annoys me is you stating Coutinho will be gone this year like it is some done deal.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2742: Aug 24, 2017 08:30:39 pm
      Liverpool said no and they got Dembele instead. Don't try to be a Journo. Those in the know idiots plucking garbage out of thin air, clutching at straws in a sad attempt to get followers. It is not happening this year now. Barcelona would have liked them both, bit that would have been more like 100m for each, they can't afford 150m for each! There is more chance of them going for Draxler now, which they can probably get for 50m.

I think they wanted both players thus the two initial low-balling bids...that being said grabbing a fella from China for £40 million and grabbing Dembele for 150 would not fill me with joy if I was a Barca supporter.

Reeks of desperation.

redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #2743: Aug 24, 2017 08:31:54 pm
      Liverpool said no and Barca got Dembele instead. Don't try to be a Journo. Those in the know idiots plucking garbage out of thin air, clutching at straws in a sad attempt to get followers. It is not happening this year now. Barcelona would have liked them both, bit that would have been more like 100m for each, they can't afford 150m for each! There is more chance of them going for Draxler now, which they can probably get for 50m.

Did you even READ what I have posted?

What annoys me is your pretty much stating Coutinho will be gone this year like it is some done deal.

Sorry. I can't help it. Am stating what I feel about it. And, by the way I DID NOT say Coutinho is gone this year.
      « Last Edit: Aug 24, 2017 08:37:24 pm by redindian »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #2744: Aug 24, 2017 08:32:39 pm
      Well Messi's dad is already sniffing City out for his son next season...Luis will be a year older, Inesta is losing it.

Tell you what....that is a sinking ship and Paulinho and Dembele aren't the coast guard coming to save the day.

You can take RM off that list most likely. They don't really have a need for Phil with their current options. Not sure PSG does either to be honest. And remember...Barca is his "dream" destination ;D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2745: Aug 24, 2017 08:33:45 pm
      I think they wanted both players thus the two initial low-balling bids...that being said grabbing a fella from China for £40 million and grabbing Dembele for 150 would not fill me with joy if I was a Barca supporter.

Reeks of desperation.
      Yes they wanted both with lowballing, once they realized other clubs wouldn't be lowballed with happy meal toys, as reddit likes to say... they realized they would have to have one or the other. There is no reason they can't go for Draxler and it will be Dembele and Draxler for 200m total. Not a terrible deal. Some sources are even saying Draxler might be available at 40m.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2746: Aug 24, 2017 08:38:51 pm
      You can take RM off that list most likely. They don't really have a need for Phil with their current options. Not sure PSG does either to be honest. And remember...Barca is his "dream" destination ;D

Luka is turning 32 next month...and his best friend is at PSG, so for now I think will keep them on the list ;)
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2747: Aug 24, 2017 08:40:37 pm
      Yes they wanted both with lowballing, once they realized other clubs wouldn't be lowballed with happy meal toys, as reddit likes to say... they realized they would have to have one or the other. There is no reason they can't go for Draxler and it will be Dembele and Draxler for 200m total. Not a terrible deal. Some sources are even saying Draxler might be available at 40m.

He doesn't have a release clause but PSG did indicated 40 million would get it done because they are watching wages; not so sure PSG want to do business with Barca right now though.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #2748: Aug 24, 2017 08:45:07 pm
      He doesn't have a release clause but PSG did indicated 40 million would get it done because they are watching wages; not so sure PSG want to do business with Barca right now though.

I've seen rumors of Barca trying to get DiMaria and a fee being agreed, not sure if there's any legs to that. Be nice if PSG strung them along and then at the last minute said "Eh...no thanks".
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2749: Aug 24, 2017 10:36:28 pm
      I've seen rumors of Barca trying to get DiMaria and a fee being agreed, not sure if there's any legs to that. Be nice if PSG strung them along and then at the last minute said "Eh...no thanks".

Don't see psg selling anyone to barca, don't have the best of relationships even before neymar
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #2750: Aug 24, 2017 11:08:34 pm
      Once you meet a buyout clause the selling club have no say. They can offer the player a better contract but they can't refuse to sell.

Messi buyout is £275 million

Are you sure?  Didn't we knock back Arsenal when they came in for Suarez at £40000001?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2751: Aug 24, 2017 11:25:04 pm
      Are you sure?  Didn't we knock back Arsenal when they came in for Suarez at £40000001?

The clause was that we just had to notify Suarez of the offer from Arsenal...apparently.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,012 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #2752: Aug 24, 2017 11:38:16 pm

I believe in Spain it works like that as they are required by the Spanish FA.

Once the release clause is met there is nothing a club can do  (other try to convince the player to stay by offering a better contract), but its all down to the player.

RM is putting ridiculous release clauses to avoid this, like €1 billion for Ronaldo
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #2753: Aug 25, 2017 07:30:09 am
      I see, so why are clubs still putting them in contracts? Clearly a Russian / Arab oil baron could put up a load of money and boom, they're off.

Was it naivety on their part?
      Or maybe arrogance?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #2754: Aug 25, 2017 08:15:04 am
      So.......we're gonna see an email / statement are we Phil?

The very fact that we've seen one leak from Coutinho's lot saying how uncomfortable he was with the previous from a "close family member" and that it was leveraged by Barca........followed by this notion that he's gonna publicly criticise Liverpool to force a move suggests a couple things to me: -

A) he needs to man up and own his own sh*t instead of hiding

B) his camp - such as they are - are in complete disarray

I don't expect all players to become adopted scousers but I do expect them as adult human being to accept the consequences of their actions.

Very disappointed in the way he's handled this - any agitation to move should have been done privately.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2755: Aug 25, 2017 09:57:33 am
      I see, so why are clubs still putting them in contracts? Clearly a Russian / Arab oil baron could put up a load of money and boom, they're off.

Or maybe arrogance?

Quite simply they never expected a country to buy a football club and have enough money to pay £200million for a player, they completely miscalculated the wealth of the arab owners and the rank stupidity and avarice of the player as well.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2756: Aug 25, 2017 11:08:15 am
      Arsenal offered £40,000,000.01p
      It was one penny over not a whole pound.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2757: Aug 25, 2017 11:30:42 am

Nah buddy, it was a quid. 😎

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #2758: Aug 25, 2017 11:35:01 am

What is extraordinary about that is the way the market has changed in 4 years.......

That a £40m sum was deemed reasonable to spark a transfer melee for a 26yr old Luis Suarez seems utterly incomprehensible now........
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2017 12:10:39 pm by Scotia »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #2759: Aug 25, 2017 11:36:11 am

Or maybe arrogance?

Barca just never quite believed that a club would pay that much I don't think. I'm unsure of if a player has any control of how high a release clause is set, but Real Madrid have been much more savvy in really making them astronomical in height to warn off any potential dips in the water by rival clubs. Saying that, triple figure sums for transfers were unheard of until a year or so back, so it's not like Barca were that out of depth with such a fee - certainly makes me wonder still in the era of this FFP stuff how it happens. But hey, it's FIFA so... reasons.

Quick Reply