Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 57493 times
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,512 posts | 223 
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #759: Aug 03, 2023 06:21:30 pm
      So you don't think Gomez is good enough for us and we should get rid, but then you turn around and question if anyone would pay for him. I'm not sure what point you are trying to drive home?

If no one would pay for him then I guess there's no use trying to sell him? Or do you just randomly want to cut a player that if he plays to his potential still has value to the club? That seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It shows his quality

What are you struggling to understand about last season and how the issues need to be addressed for us to compete ?

If the defence and dm is not strengthened, we will not improve from last season, it’s simply not good enough and no tinted glasses can change that

The point is we need a third quality cb and that was obvious last season

We also need to stop the goals from rb and dm
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #760: Aug 03, 2023 06:26:15 pm
      Ah F**k it, might as well end the season now.

Boils my piss Billy !!!

f***in glory hunters !!!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      Reply #761: Aug 03, 2023 06:42:03 pm
      I think it's a mess to be here 3 weeks after Fabinho said he wanted to leave with no defensive midfielder signed and ready to go. That player should have been on the plane to Singapore to have a decent pre season and be ready to start against Chelsea. The F***ing about over a few million should have binned off the moment we let both Fab and Hendo go. Now we will be putting square pegs into round holes at the start of the season - might get away with it normally but it's much harder to keep up when that cheating beast that is City are around.

If that's me being negative or having a meltdown then fair enough I'm negative and having a meltdown.

See where your at with this but Jürgen just doesn’t buy off the peg DM’s, he wants the right player with the right character, it’s not his fault Soton are dragging their feet over their insistence on £50m for Lavia, yes of course FSG should just stump up the dollar without any grievance and that’s also my beef with them why they don’t??

The next question is why Lavia and no one else? Well maybe it’s because Jürgen sees him as the ideal fit and will wait it out until he gets him, I get that also and agree if that’s who you really want anyone else would seem inferior, even if it meant he would have to wait until January to get him, he will,
      Obviously that’s not what anyone wants including Lavia himself, so my guess is we’ll get him irrespective of how long Saints drag their feet !!

YNWA

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      Reply #762: Aug 03, 2023 06:50:15 pm
      You win games by outscoring your opponents, not keeping the most clean sheets.

So F**k the back line, F**k the defensive midfielders and go all out attack. Win every game 5-4 and win the F***ing lot.

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold
      Eliott Szoboszlai Mac Allister Jones
      Salah Gakpo Diaz
      Jota Nunez

Something similar Billy , especially when Lavia arrives, put Trent where Elliot is and Lavia as the DM , I think that’ll be pretty much how we’ll set up??

YNWA
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,368 posts | 6400 
      Reply #763: Aug 03, 2023 06:53:52 pm
      It shows his quality

What are you struggling to understand about last season and how the issues need to be addressed for us to compete ?

If the defence and dm is not strengthened, we will not improve from last season, it’s simply not good enough and no tinted glasses can change that

The point is we need a third quality cb and that was obvious last season

We also need to stop the goals from rb and dm

We can keep Gomez and get a third quality CB. Not sure what you are on about. Now you are just changing your points in each post. Just stick to one thing at a time fella.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #764: Aug 03, 2023 07:16:02 pm

See where your at with this but Jürgen just doesn’t buy off the peg DM’s, he wants the right player with the right character, it’s not his fault Soton are dragging their feet over their insistence on £50m for Lavia, yes of course FSG should just stump up the dollar without any grievance and that’s also my beef with them why they don’t??

The next question is why Lavia and no one else? Well maybe it’s because Jürgen sees him as the ideal fit and will wait it out until he gets him, I get that also and agree if that’s who you really want anyone else would seem inferior, even if it meant he would have to wait until January to get him, he will,
      Obviously that’s not what anyone wants including Lavia himself, so my guess is we’ll get him irrespective of how long Saints drag their feet !!

YNWA

Thing is mate, most clubs will go in with low bids initially. Look at the farce over Rice and that was a lad that was actually up for sale.

So I don’t get why people are surprised that we haven’t gone straight in with 50 mill for the lad.

I know it’s frustrating that it isn’t done yet but it’s how transfers go. And I don’t think we’d of gone on for him at all if Henderson and Fabinho hadn’t left. I know we were linked but only submitted the offers when we were all but certain the others were getting off our books.

So I can’t say I’m surprised it’s dragging on. Saints are the opening game of the Championship on Friday against Wednesday (work that one out) so it’ll be interesting to see if Lavia plays in that or not
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #765: Aug 03, 2023 07:16:05 pm

Boils my piss Billy !!!

f***in glory hunters !!!

what boils my piss is people with their f***in head in the sand thinking everything is sweet and we will conquer all before us. and what the F**k is the glory hunter remark for been watching the club since the early 70's oh and by the wat that includes the reserve side when we played away.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #766: Aug 03, 2023 07:18:43 pm
      what boils my piss is people with their f***in head in the sand thinking everything is sweet and we will conquer all before us. and what the F**k is the glory hunter remark for been watching the club since the early 70's oh and by the wat that includes the reserve side when we played away.

Aren’t fans supposed to believe in their club?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,140 posts | 3466 
      Reply #767: Aug 03, 2023 07:20:37 pm

That stopped the minute we were engulfed by social media fans - guess it’s the price to pay for being successful
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,199 posts | 4407 
      Reply #768: Aug 03, 2023 07:47:57 pm

I 100% believe FSG are as ambitious as I am about how successful LFC are on the pitch 😂

KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,512 posts | 223 
      Reply #769: Aug 03, 2023 08:22:13 pm
      We can keep Gomez and get a third quality CB. Not sure what you are on about. Now you are just changing your points in each post. Just stick to one thing at a time fella.

What are you struggling to understand ? The point has been the same all along about Gomez
      Not being good enough

Did you watch him last season ?

Gomez is not good enough, and Matip, well you saw him against Bayern too

Like I said a quality cb is needed to address the weakness and Gomez is not the answer as some are suggesting hence stating he is not good enough
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,512 posts | 223 
      Reply #770: Aug 03, 2023 08:28:32 pm

YNWA

I’m sorry but if all we could find is one player then that shows poor planning

I’m not sure if you watched the Bayern game but go watch the weakness in our team

Now I admit we were up against a world class team but still, from memory, matip was simply struggling when Trent went to midfield and got caught out twice

Jones was caught out several times and whilst I think he is not good enough for the first 11, dm is simply not his position

These issues should have been addressed as our three biggest issues last season were cb, dm and rb. Yet they are still the same

It’s not about being a glory hunter, I will back the team and always do when they play and am hoping for the best

But I will never back the structure we have as I don’t believe in it being correct or best for the club and that’s my opinion

I would love a self sustaining team with the odd one off investments to push our limits to compete with the best

That one off investment in the past was a gold pot in pip going to Barcelona but without that gold pot that’s needed many years later, we are heading into a season with glaring weaknesses which city and Arsenal do not have
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,512 posts | 223 
      Reply #771: Aug 03, 2023 08:31:19 pm
      We are Liverpool, I do believe we have a great manager but I also believe with a little bit of a push, we could be competing at the top and by top I mean first, that’s not being spoilt or be a glory hunter in asking for once the owners put their hands in their pocket and invest a little bit for which they will get a billion pound plus return in the end.

We have an amazing attack and manager, yet we are shooting ourselves in the foot by going into a season with glaring weaknesses that can be addressed which was known since last season
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,140 posts | 3466 
      Reply #772: Aug 03, 2023 08:34:04 pm
      What are you struggling to understand ? The point has been the same all along about Gomez
      Not being good enough

Did you watch him last season ?

Gomez is not good enough, and Matip, well you saw him against Bayern too

Like I said a quality cb is needed to address the weakness and Gomez is not the answer as some are suggesting hence stating he is not good enough

Do you recall Gomez when he was near ever present next to VVD when we won the league and CL

The issue Gomez has right now is not getting a consistent run of games to build up his confidence

The knee injury rocked him and since then he hasn’t had a run of games which for a CB is hard to get into a grove

If given a run next to VVD he would step up - and that’s what Klopp isn’t letting him go

He will be at the club for cover at RB as well as CB
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,512 posts | 223 
      Reply #773: Aug 03, 2023 08:38:37 pm
      Do you recall Gomez when he was near ever present next to VVD when we won the league and CL

The issue Gomez has right now is not getting a consistent run of games to build up his confidence

The knee injury rocked him and since then he hasn’t had a run of games which for a CB is hard to get into a grove

If given a run next to VVD he would step up - and that’s what Klopp isn’t letting him go

He will be at the club for cover at RB as well as CB

I do remember that but mate that is the past and relying on years gone by isn’t the answer for the present

Back then Henderson was very good as were other players and so on

If Gomez did not get injured then yes maybe it would have turned out different

But he isn’t there anymore as a good defender, it’s happened to a lot of players over the years, bad injuries derail careers

If you gave me an option, I personally would state matip would go first as I really can’t see him playing on our current system but my point is neither should be a third choice, one should be 4th imo

But we are one injury at cb away from our cb being a huge huge weakness in games and if Matip or Gomez play, they will make a lot of mistakes and struggle leading to goals being conceded because they simply are not good enough right now at this stage of their career in our system

Look at the bayern game, it’s right there, that is going to happen in the premier league this season if it is not addressed
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #774: Aug 03, 2023 09:02:17 pm
      Matip , Gomez - both back up players

Both very good - Gomez has the pace to cover if needed but they are both squad players who will spend most of the time on the bench

But as for youngsters

Quansah And Koumetio are two very promising players

If we need a rb if TAA is out then Bradley will play

Joe had the pace but not since his injury and I don't recall Koumetio getting a single minute preseason so far.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,140 posts | 3466 
      Reply #775: Aug 04, 2023 08:55:53 am
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #776: Aug 04, 2023 10:16:42 am

who is the Club for me its the supporters and the playing staff I am 100% trusting in they give us everything .If you think otherwise fine but for me we are actually being ran as a Franchise and it goes against everything that this club used to represent . We have a few posters like attack Dogs as soon as FSG is mentioned in a post and whether they admit it or not whether it was plastered as Quotes from JH we were due a massive rebuild this summer and having lost a massive amount of experience we are in danger of going into this campaign very light in experience and depth. 
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,140 posts | 3466 
      Reply #777: Aug 04, 2023 10:23:25 am
      who is the Club for me its the supporters and the playing staff I am 100% trusting in they give us everything .If you think otherwise fine but for me we are actually being ran as a Franchise and it goes against everything that this club used to represent . We have a few posters like attack Dogs as soon as FSG is mentioned in a post and whether they admit it or not whether it was plastered as Quotes from JH we were due a massive rebuild this summer and having lost a massive amount of experience we are in danger of going into this campaign very light in experience and depth.
      Can you provide the quotes from John Henry himself stating that we will have a massive rebuild this summer - at least provide some facts and substance

And franchise ?! What way is it a franchise
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #778: Aug 04, 2023 10:28:48 am
      and my point is made although I cant see his post I see he has posted straight away the attack Dogs of FSG strike again.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,293 posts | 4939 
      Reply #779: Aug 04, 2023 11:48:20 am
      If you think otherwise fine but for me we are actually being ran as a Franchise and it goes against everything that this club used to represent .

I'm genuinely curious Walt.

In what way is the club being run now that goes so against everything the club used to represent??

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2023 12:10:11 pm by srslfc »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #780: Aug 04, 2023 12:06:47 pm

No mate, I don't think otherwise. For me the club has always been the "holy trinity" as Shanks called it. That's why I don't really get hung up about the ownership the way some do. I've said many times that I really couldn't give a toss who the owners are for that reason. I care about what happens on the pitch.

As for the rebuild, I said in the rebuild thread that for me it started in January of last year with the addition of Diaz. This year I think we've been taken unaware with the Saudi money being thrown at us. We knew we were losing three midfielders, two of who have hardly contributed to the club anyway. We replaced them with Dom and Mac. Henderson and Fabinho leaving probably wasn't in the plan for this summer but we're working to replace them.

And the losing the experience thing doesn't bother me as much as it seems to with a lot of others. Last season the experience wasn't something people seemed too keen on, in fact it was the opposite. It was the players were too old, their legs had gone, Klopp was too loyal to these past it players, they shouldn't be in the first team any more etc etc. Three months on and they've suddenly become world class players again. It blows my mind. But take a look back in time and in the 71-72 season, we lost St John, Yeats, Lawrence and Graham before Alun Evans left in the summer of 72 and followed that up in 73 with a League Title and UEFA Cup.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #781: Aug 04, 2023 01:18:32 pm
      No mate, I don't think otherwise. For me the club has always been the "holy trinity" as Shanks called it. That's why I don't really get hung up about the ownership the way some do. I've said many times that I really couldn't give a toss who the owners are for that reason. I care about what happens on the pitch.

As for the rebuild, I said in the rebuild thread that for me it started in January of last year with the addition of Diaz. This year I think we've been taken unaware with the Saudi money being thrown at us. We knew we were losing three midfielders, two of who have hardly contributed to the club anyway. We replaced them with Dom and Mac. Henderson and Fabinho leaving probably wasn't in the plan for this summer but we're working to replace them.

And the losing the experience thing doesn't bother me as much as it seems to with a lot of others. Last season the experience wasn't something people seemed too keen on, in fact it was the opposite. It was the players were too old, their legs had gone, Klopp was too loyal to these past it players, they shouldn't be in the first team any more etc etc. Three months on and they've suddenly become world class players again. It blows my mind. But take a look back in time and in the 71-72 season, we lost St John, Yeats, Lawrence and Graham before Alun Evans left in the summer of 72 and followed that up in 73 with a League Title and UEFA Cup.

Bobby Graham was my favourite player at that time but one of Shankly's weaknesses or strengths was he was too loyal to players who had served him well St John and Yeats along Tommy Lawrence were well passed there sell by date so its not the same as Fab and Hendo who would have played games this season and Millie would have played when necessary as cover . I think Alun Evans the first £100,000p teenager had a bad injury and never quite got his form back. I dont like the way people exaggerate comments I dont remember anyone saying Hendo and Fab are world class but Fab made returned to form and Hendo too so they would have played a part this season and how much may well have been down to how they took their chance when it came.
      I find it strange that older supporters are the ones to accept the reality of modern football and its equation of Success = funding . The Jürgen factor is massive without him who would have won what he has done with his backing form FSG and if we had not fleeced Barca for Couthino would we have bought Ali and Virgil who have made such an impact.
      So far our rebuild has been an exercise in wage reduction and we dont have the depth of squad to see us through a 60 games plus season

Quick Reply