Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Pre-Match: Manchester United V Liverpool (24/02/19 - 14:05)

Read 27766 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Pre-Match: Manchester United V Liverpool (24/02/19 - 14:05)
      Reply #184: Feb 22, 2019 10:24:40 pm
      Then we have the sly digs of "he's not technical", "he's no good in tight spaces", "he's just a workhorse" and all the rest of it. It's just a snidey way of having a dig.

Is it really a sly dig to say a player is not as technical or as comfortable in tight spaces as another? Look at Winks, better footballer but not a better player than Hendo, is that a slight dig ?

And when you think of a technical midfielders, do you automatically associate that with Hendo? I certainly don't. I think of Eriksen, Athur, Pjanic, Jorginho etc, where as if the word workhorse midfield came up, I would think, Wijnaldum, Hendo, Milner, Kante, Allan, Matuidi etc.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #185: Feb 22, 2019 10:32:51 pm
      Is it really a sly dig to say a player is not as technical or as comfortable in tight spaces as another? Look at Winks, better footballer but not a better player than Hendo, is that a slight dig ?

And when you think of a technical midfielders, do you automatically associate that with Hendo? I certainly don't. I think of Eriksen, Athur, Pjanic, Jorginho etc, where as if the word workhorse midfield came up, I would think, Wijnaldum, Hendo, Milner, Kante, Allan, Matuidi etc.

Yes it is a sly dig.
      Plus you're not saying "he's not as technical as...." you are saying he's not technical. At all.
      Like you said he lacks composure.
      Like you said he can't play in tight spaces.
      Like you've said he's not a good long passer.
      It's all nonsense, it's even more dishonest than damning with faint praise.

Also dishonest is this shifting of the goalposts.
      Earlier on, Wijnaldum was a technical player who would grace the role of #10 playmaker. (despite the fact that position doesn't exist in Klopp's team)
      Now he's a workhorse.

Get tae F**k fella.
      Talk about shifting sands, you're worse than F***ing Morecombe Bay.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #186: Feb 22, 2019 10:41:27 pm
      Anyways big game on Sunday eh.....
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,653 posts | 3921 
      Reply #187: Feb 22, 2019 10:51:53 pm

Heart already pounding. Just feels like we haven’t won a big game for ages. Surely we’re due another one.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #188: Feb 22, 2019 10:52:49 pm
      Yes it is a sly dig.
      Plus you're not saying "he's not as technical as...." you are saying he's not technical. At all.

Wow, you really think it's a sly dig? I am lost for words with how you see it ;D

Earlier on, Wijnaldum was a technical player who would grace the role of #10 playmaker. (despite the fact that position doesn't exist in Klopp's team)
      Now he's a workhorse.

Also,if people had to choose between Wijnaldum or Hendo to play in the #10 playmaking role, I am 99.9% sure 99.9% of footballing fans would choose Wijnaldum because he is the more technical player.

I don't think I have said he is predominately a technical player? I have always, always put him in the same bracket as Hendo and Milner, but the difference is, he has a greater technical ability than both, and probably the vast majority of workhorse players.

Having you choose between Wijnaldum or Hendo in a #10 playmaker role was more to make you think about the strengths and weaknesses of each player which hopefully would make you see that Wijnaldum is the more technical and better option in an attacking role. But hey, if you still think Hendo would offer more, what can I do?!

You really don't understand where I am getting with this playmaking #10 role, do you?

I give up!!!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #189: Feb 22, 2019 10:58:00 pm
      Wow, you really think it's a sly dig? I am lost for words with how you see it ;D

I don't think I have said he is predominately a technical player? I have always, always put him in the same bracket as Hendo and Milner, but the difference is, he has a greater technical ability than both, and probably the vast majority of workhorse players.

You really don't understand where I am getting with this playmaking #10 role, do you?

I give up!!!

Yet again, just evasion and obfuscation.

This is why I said I'm bored of your shtick.
      It's not a very good one.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #190: Feb 22, 2019 10:59:32 pm

Hate sunday games.

ah well, at least there's rugby in the meantime.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #191: Feb 23, 2019 12:16:28 am
      Q : Who do the Scum want NOT to win the title most ?

On history methinks us.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #192: Feb 23, 2019 02:02:01 am
      Q : Who do the Scum want NOT to win the title most ?

On history methinks us.

For them,  anybody but us and they are happy.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #193: Feb 23, 2019 04:00:48 am
      Hard to pick the midfield 3 for a change, probably for the first time this season we have a selection dilemma there.

Fab and Gini 100% have to start IMO, but then Hendo was very good vs Bayern and has been playing well for a while now. On top of that, we are really starting to see Keita grow in confidence and getting better and better with each game.

I think there’s a case to go Fab at the back instead of Matip, I think he’s be the safer option...but then, I don’t think we can afford to lose him from the midfield for this game.

If Martial plays then we need to make sure we just show him onto his left foot because then he will do sod all. Rashford is the danger man.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #194: Feb 23, 2019 04:32:16 am
      Midfield 3 for me is Fab, Gini and Keita the rest picks itself. It’s harsh on Hendo especially based on last match performance but feel that gives us the best balance playing away from home.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #195: Feb 23, 2019 05:09:52 am
      If Martial and Lingard dont start, they're gonna play a 4-4-2 diamond and probably we'll mirror that with Firmino actually at the tip, Fab at the base and Mo-Mane playing outside forwards dragging defenders wide. If we play the diamond, I can see Hendo & Gini being used as the runners, trying to stifle Herrera and Pogba.

Even if its a 4-3-3, I still think Gini-Fab-Hendo will be our midfield

Subs: Migs, Moreno, Milner, Keita, Lallana, Origi, Sturridge
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #196: Feb 23, 2019 07:10:54 am
      Hard to pick the midfield 3 for a change, probably for the first time this season we have a selection dilemma there.

Fab and Gini 100% have to start IMO, but then Hendo was very good vs Bayern and has been playing well for a while now. On top of that, we are really starting to see Keita grow in confidence and getting better and better with each game.

I think there’s a case to go Fab at the back instead of Matip, I think he’s be the safer option...but then, I don’t think we can afford to lose him from the midfield for this game.

If Martial plays then we need to make sure we just show him onto his left foot because then he will do sod all. Rashford is the danger man.

Agree on all of that. I think I would feel happier with Fabinho at the back, he has looked far more assured than Matip as a CB but we would miss him in midfield so it’s a dilemma. Whether Klopp plays Keita will tell us a lot about his approach to this game. I think k he has started the last 4-5 on the bounce and is beginning to show the form that made him a 50 million pound player.

I’m hoping Lingard and Martial don’t make it. Their gameplay will be to surrender possession, play deep and kill us on the break and with those two in the side they have the pace to really hurt us.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #197: Feb 23, 2019 08:29:04 am
      No, he's not.
      You've just forgotten how good Henderson is at it.
      Henderson is quicker, stronger, more athletic and a more powerful runner.

If saying someone is better than Henderson at something is considered a "sly dig" at him, isn't the above a sly dig on Wijnaldum?

FYI: Wijnaldum has played over 600 minutes more than Henderson in the Premier League this season and 3 more Champions League appearances as well. Gini also played more than Henderson in both competitions in 2017/18 and again in 2016/17.

So I guess the argument that it is "arrogant" to suggest Henderson isn't as good at certain stuff as others just because he's constantly picked by Klopp, then surely the same applies here. And Wijnaldum was a Klopp signing as well.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #198: Feb 23, 2019 08:30:22 am
      Can't wait for the game tomorrow. Fabinho was great against them at Anfield so I'm also hoping he starts tomorrow. Think we'll be too good for them.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #199: Feb 23, 2019 09:07:33 am
      If saying someone is better than Henderson at something is considered a "sly dig" at him, isn't the above a sly dig on Wijnaldum?

FYI: Wijnaldum has played over 600 minutes more than Henderson in the Premier League this season and 3 more Champions League appearances as well. Gini also played more than Henderson in both competitions in 2017/18 and again in 2016/17.

So I guess the argument that it is "arrogant" to suggest Henderson isn't as good at certain stuff as others just because he's constantly picked by Klopp, then surely the same applies here. And Wijnaldum was a Klopp signing as well.
      I doubt he'll reply to that, if he does it will probably divert the conversation to something else rather than answering your question.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #200: Feb 23, 2019 09:13:45 am
      Yes it is a sly dig.
      It's all nonsense, it's even more dishonest than damning with faint praise.

Now he's a workhorse.

Get tae f**k fella.
      Talk about shifting sands, you're worse than f**king Morecombe Bay.
      Henderson isn't for to polish Gini's boots on my opinion. Not a sly dig, but an honest opinion. Gini can dribble, only dribbles coming from Henderson are oral and not footwork. Gini moves with the ball better, Henderson stops moving just to look for a pass and even then it's not always the best option. If people can't be honest then why have a forum?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #201: Feb 23, 2019 09:16:25 am
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #202: Feb 23, 2019 09:40:18 am
      PM and I are proper Wijnaldum fanboys and have been since he signed.
      Didn't have Teresa May down as a footie fan to be honest  :f_tongueincheek:
      rossyred

• 9,296 posts | 1666 
      Reply #203: Feb 23, 2019 09:48:04 am
      Too much he's better than him sh*te let's just trust the gaffer to pick the right combo to win this match. As I and others have said each individual is very good at their own role it's about the right combo on the day
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #204: Feb 23, 2019 09:51:00 am
      I think a lot of the arguing about Hendo v Gini is born out of nerves leading up to this game.
      Personally I think it’s a case of whoever starts has to perform on the day, the task Jürgen gives them, to the highest level, or they get hooked.
      Who starts in the middle will depend wholly on Jurgens tactical plan for the game, so if they do perform well, and we don’t get anything from the game, it will be down to the tactic rather than the individual player.
      I’m nervous as F**k and don’t really know who would be the better option, as both do a different job.
      Still think whichever we go with will see us win 0-2.
      Gotta get to work now to take my mind off it a bit.
      Come on you mighty red men.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #205: Feb 23, 2019 10:08:46 am
      Didn't have Teresa May down as a footie fan to be honest  :f_tongueincheek:

She’s probably Chelsea or Milwall her..
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,976 posts | 3059 
      Reply #206: Feb 23, 2019 10:18:20 am
      I don't think this lad does scapegoat him, more just doesn't rate him.

There is a hell of a lot of scapegoating for Hendo around, though.

I say f**k all on Hendo now....

I rated Alby..

You were not alone mate......I posted: -

“Moreno = Player”

After the goal at WHL.

Right up to Europa Final I thought there was a player in there........

Quick Reply