Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Luis Diaz Player Thread (F)

Read 60126 times
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,614 posts | 752 
      Re: Luis Diaz Player Thread (F)
      Reply #782: Apr 26, 2024 02:59:48 pm
      Heads have truly gone. Some of the sh*t i've read on this forum in the past couple of days is unbelievable. Honestly.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,043 posts | 537 
      Reply #783: Apr 26, 2024 05:55:11 pm
      There seems to be a bit of "Jürgen's signings are all crap" consensus developed on here over the last few games.

This is a gross exageration at best. Nunez, I admit, I'm starting to lose patience with - that blast straight at Prickford makes you wonder if he'll ever learn to choose the simple finish instead trying to burst the net every time. But even him I still would give him another season.

But Gakpo, Diaz and Gravenberch? Gakpo has been our best player through our poor patch. He's taken responsibility, kept his cool, held the ball, run at people and tried to make things happen.

Diaz has been a bit more hit and miss but again he has taken responsibility and really tried  to get us going. He hasn't hid, far from it. Which is what you need from players when they and the team are not in top form.

And Gravenberch just hasnt played enough to really judge him properly yet. But, in our recent bad run, what has he done - stepped up and scored a beauty against Fulham when we really needed it, the key to winning that game. And then he didn't play against Everton so bears no responsibility at all for that debacle.

I just don't get the desire to scapegoat those 3 players.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,372 posts | 8621 
      Reply #784: Apr 27, 2024 01:05:32 pm
      But that hasn't happened. Somewhere at some point things changed and for the worst. Why? God knows. Either way, the likes of Diaz will be seen as the El Hadj Diouf of Klopp's Liverpool career.

Oh F**k off Frankly, that is ONE gobs***e shout

A c**t of a statement!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,086 posts | 2114 
      Reply #785: Apr 27, 2024 01:36:58 pm
      Oh F**k off Frankly, that is ONE gobs***e shout

A c**t of a statement!

Perhaps too provocative but Diaz is a high profile signing that made us worse, not better.   
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,372 posts | 8621 
      Reply #786: Apr 27, 2024 01:51:29 pm
      Perhaps too provocative but Diaz is a high profile signing that made us worse, not better.   

Disagree, it's down to how he's been told to play.

A bit like Evans telling Berger to pass more than shoot had a negative effect on the player. Same thing here.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,086 posts | 2114 
      Reply #787: Apr 27, 2024 02:27:17 pm
      Disagree, it's down to how he's been told to play.

A bit like Evans telling Berger to pass more than shoot had a negative effect on the player. Same thing here.

If he is here next season I bloody hope you're right HR. But I simply can't believe that Jürgen and co told Diaz to keep holding on to the ball , oblivious to the first time pass / cross. I don't think they have taught him to run across the field with the ball at his feet going nowhere fast and then losing the ball and committing a foul in no man's land.

If Slot can make a star out Diaz then we've hired a Messiah.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,372 posts | 8621 
      Reply #788: Apr 27, 2024 02:50:29 pm
      If he is here next season I bloody hope you're right HR. But I simply can't believe that Jürgen and co told Diaz to keep holding on to the ball , oblivious to the first time pass / cross. I don't think they have taught him to run across the field with the ball at his feet going nowhere fast and then losing the ball and committing a foul in no man's land.

If Slot can make a star out Diaz then we've hired a Messiah.

So why did he stop legging it down the line with ball like he did when he first signed, cos there has been a change in the way we play.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #789: Apr 27, 2024 03:16:43 pm

Don't think its a controversial opinion at all.

If anyone thinks Diaz is the level of Mane - who he replaced - then they need to see a psychiatrist. It's a massive downgrade, everything that Mane was good at, Diaz is hopeless at.

Far too many fans just look at attacking metrics rather than the entire package. But still, on a purely attacking level, Mane is superior in every aspect. But it's the off the ball, non-attacking work that is massively concerning. Diaz would actually get away with criticism if he offered the workrate off the ball that Mane provided (and by workrate, I don't mean running around like a headless chicken and chasing shadows in the way Diaz does).

So what did Mane do off the ball? He was always near the press, he added numbers into midfield, frequently dropping deep, linking up and his general teamwork was fantastic. He was the very definition of team cohesion, an almost sixth sense in synchronising the play. Bobby Firmino was exactly the same.  All this bolstered our defensive capabilities too, helping to secure control of the midfield meant helping to secure control of the entire match. THAT is the modern definition of "Total Football". Something we cannot do anymore these days, because Diaz and his ilk don't offer any of that. Players like Nunez, Diaz and Gakpo are the reason why we are no longer capable of what we used to be the best at.

So there, it isn't just their lack of attacking threat that is a problem, it's their general holistic play that is so woeful. It's a massive indictment on our recruitment that they were brought into the club because the standards have fallen massively.

This summer is a reboot. But I can't see how in god's name Arne Slot makes these lads work. I can't see embers of recovery and transformation there. We'd be better off cutting our losses and getting rid.

Simply not good enough for Liverpool FC.
      « Last Edit: Apr 27, 2024 03:21:55 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,908 posts | 432 
      Reply #790: Apr 27, 2024 03:59:04 pm
      Didnt see todays game. More of the same was it?
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,013 posts | 197 
      Reply #791: Apr 27, 2024 04:00:56 pm

More of the same what? Being a 1 man attack and having to do it all by himself? Pretty much yes.

Didn't see the game but can't help himself rush into this thread to get a snide dig it, clever.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,182 posts | 3476 
      Reply #792: Apr 27, 2024 04:03:46 pm

He played well , hit the post and created a few chances
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,587 posts | 1502 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #793: Apr 27, 2024 04:10:55 pm
      If you could somehow transfew the finishing of Suarez into his DNA he'd be the best in the world winger wise... he's everything you want from a winger... until it comes to the end part... and it's so frustrating.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,272 posts | 929 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #794: Apr 27, 2024 08:17:41 pm
      A shining light in a time of darkness
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,444 posts | 2843 
      Reply #795: Apr 27, 2024 08:57:52 pm
      Still think we've got bigger problems than Luis Diaz.
      Don77

• 6,611 posts | 1108 
      Reply #796: Apr 27, 2024 09:32:50 pm
      Still think we've got bigger problems than Luis Diaz.

Our problems are that we cant keep clean sheets and are not clinical enough in the final 3rd. Hes part of that problem. And next season will be more of the same. Needs moving on. Do you want to compete with city and arsenal next season? We can do better and will need to do better. Diaz has fluffed his lines for 2 1/2 years, hasnt improved, dreams of barca, time to offload and find a better player. The drop off from firmino and mane to nunez and diaz ... huge.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,444 posts | 2843 
      Reply #797: Apr 27, 2024 09:47:50 pm
      Our problems are that we cant keep clean sheets and are not clinical enough in the final 3rd. Hes part of that problem. And next season will be more of the same. Needs moving on. Do you want to compete with city and arsenal next season? We can do better and will need to do better. Diaz has fluffed his lines for 2 1/2 years, hasnt improved, dreams of barca, time to offload and find a better player. The drop off from firmino and mane to nunez and diaz ... huge.

There's question marks over all our attackers at the moment though.

Gakpo and Nunez have been here a while too and haven't delivered yet. Salah is getting on - he might want a new challenge and I highly doubt the club will give him a new contract. Jota can't stay fit for more than a couple of games and that's been a problem going right back to his first season.

We can't shift them all, especially when we have huge problems at CB and CDM as well.

I don't mind holding onto Diaz for another year as a rotation option if it means we sign those two defensive players and a right sided forward.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #798: Apr 27, 2024 10:35:28 pm

Unfortunately many fans refuse to face up to this, particularly the Diaz fanboys deluded enough to think he is on those Mane/Firmino levels.

Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,666 posts | 1603 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #799: Apr 27, 2024 10:40:19 pm
      Don't care what anyone says, Diaz played very well today. He really put a shift in.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,013 posts | 197 
      Reply #800: Apr 27, 2024 10:42:43 pm
      Don't care what anyone says, Diaz played very well today. He really put a shift in.

Yep but he's not a tenth of the player Mane is, so he's worthless a piece of cement.

Wonder how long we'll give it until we still brandishing the Diaz/Salah replacements as not being close to Mane and Salah in their primes too.

Can you imagine the stick the eventual Virgil replacement will get when it turns out he's not as good as prime Virgil too? Sheeeesh.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,908 posts | 432 
      Reply #801: Apr 27, 2024 10:45:03 pm

Classic Lucho bless him. What's Spanish for 'the nearly man'?
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,666 posts | 1603 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #802: Apr 27, 2024 10:49:05 pm
      Yep but he's not a tenth of the player Mane is, so he's worthless a piece of cement.

Wonder how long we'll give it until we still brandishing the Diaz/Salah replacements as not being close to Mane and Salah in their primes too.

Mane has gone, Mane wanted to go, some players aren't as good, some are better, we should be supporting these lads not slagging them off at every opportunity, I'm sure Diaz is playing as well as he possibly can, difficult when the team as a whole is not at it's best.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,209 posts | 1103 
      Reply #803: Apr 28, 2024 02:23:10 pm
      Dead on Lallana. And that's always been my issue with the lad. Yesterday was a good game for him. Creating chances and ALMOST scoring. I am warming slightly to him under the right set of circumstances (better partners up front). I don't mind the chaos on the wing, especially when you work your ass off in defense. I don't buy into the chaos in the cente. That position needa poise and precision. I think he becomes better with a clinical CF next to him. He's started to use Robbo more, and that's helped us too. Sucks Robbo wasn't healthy for long stretches on the season
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,372 posts | 8621 
      Reply #804: Apr 28, 2024 03:06:22 pm
      As some have said I don't get why Diaz is getting sh*t at least he F***ing tried against Everton.

Bigger issues than Diaz right now.
      « Last Edit: Apr 28, 2024 04:51:47 pm by HUYTON RED »

Quick Reply