Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.2%)
      Joe Gomez
      3 (3.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      9 (11%)
      Ibrahima KonatƩ
      57 (69.5%)
      Jarell Quansah
      4 (4.9%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      5 (6.1%)
      Darwin NĆŗƱez
      0 (0%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      2 (2.4%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      0 (0%)
      Bobby Clark
      0 (0%)
      Conor Bradley
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: Jan 11, 2024 06:24:42 pm

Arsenal 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 10964 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4955 
      Re: Arsenal 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Jan 07, 2024 09:34:52 pm
      xG: Arsenal 1.85 LFC 0.85, so in all fairness statistically Arsenal should have won 2-1 or 1-0. I like the xG stat because it gives u a better picture about a team. For a fan it prevents disappointments or unrealistic expectations, for a coach a more realistic view onto his team. Like if you follow the league thru xG/xGA/xPts you know that we are overperforming massively right now and that we do not belong at the top if it wasnt for luck (weā€˜d be 3rd). So a drop in the future should not raise particular concern.

We belong at the top as we've gathered the most points. Simple as that.

I'm all for looking at stats but there is a tendency to over analyse them as well.

We have that inner strength and mentality that is sometimes hard to measure which is ultimately crucial to a winning side.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,131 posts | 83 
      Reply #461: Jan 07, 2024 10:15:38 pm
      xG should not spoil nothing, it should just give perspective. We belong at the top of the league, we deserved to win vs. Arsenal, no doubt, but we skate on thin ice. Iā€˜d be curious if Klopp uses xG or some similiar stat tool. A question I would like some journalist to ask him.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,203 posts | 1644 
      Reply #462: Jan 07, 2024 10:32:14 pm
      We belong at the top as we've gathered the most points. Simple as that.

I'm all for looking at stats but there is a tendency to over analyse them as well.

We have that inner strength and mentality that is sometimes hard to measure which is ultimately crucial to a winning side.

xG is such a nonsense stat.

I think the quadruple we went for the other season, even though we didnā€™t win it, is a unique experience. These lads played every single game possible in a season. Unheard of.

They know how to manage a season and come out with the key victories or goals at important moments.

xG will never account for strikers getting nervous in front of goal, a half chance turned into stunner, a dummy that sells a defender out and leaves enough space.

This team know how to win and hopefully that nearly season gives us an edge, because no other competitor has ever played the max number of games in a season.

Mentality monsters for a reason these lads
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #463: Jan 07, 2024 10:35:53 pm
      Itā€™s nice listening to shearer wet himself over arsenic when they were having all them chances changed his tone second half that Saka showed his quality today another blown up by the media
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,237 posts | 1225 
      Reply #464: Jan 07, 2024 10:39:30 pm
      Itā€™s nice listening to shearer wet himself over arsenic when they were having all them chances changed his tone second half

Got tired of hearing it first half. What about our defending, work rate and professionalism? We absorbed Arsenal's pressure and grew into the match before our own efforts were rewarded. And we were wearing a purple kit ffs
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4955 
      Reply #465: Jan 07, 2024 10:56:44 pm
      xG is such a nonsense stat.

I think the quadruple we went for the other season, even though we didnā€™t win it, is a unique experience. These lads played every single game possible in a season. Unheard of.

They know how to manage a season and come out with the key victories or goals at important moments.

xG will never account for strikers getting nervous in front of goal, a half chance turned into stunner, a dummy that sells a defender out and leaves enough space.

This team know how to win and hopefully that nearly season gives us an edge, because no other competitor has ever played the max number of games in a season.

Mentality monsters for a reason these lads

I don't think Arsenal have what it takes to stay in the hunt even with the experience of last season.

We're the only side mentally strong enough to stay with City if they go in a run.

All depends on how much City can find their form again for me as if they don't we've as good a chance as ever to win the title.

Seems crazy given I could count on one hands the amount of truly good performances we've had this season. But like I said we have that x factor you can't see in stats and make no mistake it makes other teams nervous knowing we never give up and are hard to get a result against.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,639 posts | 3863 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #466: Jan 07, 2024 11:04:04 pm
      xG: Arsenal 1.85 LFC 0.85, so in all fairness statistically Arsenal should have won 2-1 or 1-0. I like the xG stat because it gives u a better picture about a team. For a fan it prevents disappointments or unrealistic expectations, for a coach a more realistic view onto his team. Like if you follow the league thru xG/xGA/xPts you know that we are overperforming massively right now and that we do not belong at the top if it wasnt for luck (weā€˜d be 3rd). So a drop in the future should not raise particular concern.

Luck?

The luck of the VAR farce for Diaz v Spurs?
      The luck of the Arsenal handball in the league?

Liverpool should be even further ahead.

Sign of Champions was always said to be winning when playing poorly.

I guess nowadays thatā€™s to win despite poor xG
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #467: Jan 08, 2024 12:41:59 am
      Luck?

The luck of the VAR farce for Diaz v Spurs?
      The luck of the Arsenal handball in the league?

Liverpool should be even further ahead.

Sign of Champions was always said to be winning when playing poorly.

I guess nowadays thatā€™s to win despite poor xG

Yep, the only stat worth itā€™s salt is where you sit in the league table, thatā€™s the true reflection of how youā€™re season is going, if youā€™re at the arse end itā€™s not a happy experience, if everyone else is looking up yer arse then the stars will shine brighter,

Weā€™re half way through and weā€™re yet to hit our peak, we sit top having only lost one game and that was due to the ineptitude of our wonderful officials, last 16 of the Europa, where itā€™s difficult to see how we can be stopped, got thru to the 4th round of the FA cup , and after today everyone will want to avoid us going forward,

Now letā€™s just reflect for a momentā€¦.this is a season where weā€™re supposed to be finding our feetā€¦..a season of trials and tribulationsā€¦. a new system with new players and fresh legā€™s & ideasā€¦.no one giving us a seconds thought of a top 4 spot, ā€¦..

Yetā€¦ here we f***in are, proving everyone wrong againā€¦. how much evidence do they need to convince the ney sayers that despite all the evidence to the contrary we are in actual fact the in form team, but do we get the recognition we deserveā€¦. NO DO WE F**kā€¦.and why is that ā€¦ cos our name isnā€™t Man f***in City, thatā€™s why !!!!

Everyone or most say that City are likely to go on a winning streak akin to 12+ games, but their not the side that copes well while chasing, in both the seasons we finished 1 point behind, we succumbed to draws to lesser mortals and City had two decisions go their way which saved them pointsā€¦enough to stay in front after 38 gamesā€¦.

Si is bang on, we are still the only team in the league that can live with them, always have been, Arse tried and failed miserably, coincidentally when we were at our most vulnerable last season,

That Fat Manc Keef, loves to point out our Red tints, and how he thinks weā€™re over stating our progress, Red tints or Not, Fact remains weā€™re top of the shop, having Not played at our best as yet, still in both domestic competitions and not forgetting last 16 in Europaā€¦. and weā€™ve just torn a new arse for Arse, our supposed main rivalā€¦.f***in not bad for a team in transitionā€¦..is it Keef ye fat Spunk Monkey !!!!

YNWA

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,847 posts | 6787 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #468: Jan 08, 2024 01:04:40 am
      Get the fuckkk innnn

What a 2nd half.

Klopp ringing the changes was magnificent.

Jota came on and we rose to this whole new level.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,406 posts | 6411 
      Reply #469: Jan 08, 2024 01:55:09 am
      Just a great win today for so many reasons. We are really fighting well these days. If we can get some of these injured players back and firing, we will be hard to unseat at the top of the table (and in these other comps).
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,718 posts | 3723 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #470: Jan 08, 2024 05:09:09 am
      We took their attacking pressure and absorbed it like a Champ and then grew in the game.

People are forgetting that we were without our back bone: VVD, Salah, Robertson, Tsimikas, Domink, Endo and the long term injuries: Matip, Thiago and Bajectic.

Mentality monsters. Ynwa, I gave the MOTM to Gomez but Konate was massive too. When Jota, entered, he created chaos for them.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,180 posts | 2752 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #471: Jan 08, 2024 05:14:51 am

That Fat Manc Keef, loves to point out our Red tints, and how he thinks weā€™re over stating our progress, Red tints or Not, Fact remains weā€™re top of the shop, having Not played at our best as yet, still in both domestic competitions and not forgetting last 16 in Europaā€¦. and weā€™ve just torn a new arse for Arse, our supposed main rivalā€¦.f***in not bad for a team in transitionā€¦..is it Keef ye fat Spunk Monkey !!!!

YNWA

There was no rose tints from you lot in the match thread Billy. Christ you were all saying how sh*te you was.  😆 Never watched the match due to still being in oily land so I simply canā€™t comment on how bad you apparently played. Members saying you should have been 3-0 down at half time but yet again you lot stand in sh!t and come out smelling of roses.

I do agree with you though, your certainty no pundit with the tints on. 😂😂

I suppose as a manc I have to put my tints on and say well at least itā€™s another match for you in the FA Cup whereas the gunners can now concentrate on the league a bit more.     :f_whistle:

Without the tints on thought I will say this. You tw@ts donā€™t know when your beat at the moment 🤢 Time after time playing poorly yet still getting the results. 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø

One of my sons mates who also lives over here is big scouse fan and we played golf together yesterday.   I gave him hell on the course ( banter 😆 ) and on the 19th. Fair to say he gave me plenty back, obviously!!  He played with a pink ball till he lost it 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø who plays with a pink ball ? Must of been a women in disguise, he went on like one. ( bit like you )   Fortunately I took the Dirham off him just like Iā€™ll be taking your Ā£50 to good causes at the end of the year.  😉
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,587 posts | 1808 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #472: Jan 08, 2024 10:05:23 am
      Got tired of hearing it first half. What about our defending, work rate and professionalism? We absorbed Arsenal's pressure and grew into the match before our own efforts were rewarded. And we were wearing a purple kit ffs

spot on.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,315 posts | 769 
      Reply #473: Jan 08, 2024 10:08:52 am
      Prefer our away kit to be green tbh, but what a performance and win. We march on !
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,587 posts | 1808 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #474: Jan 08, 2024 10:43:56 am

There was no rose tints from you lot in the match thread Billy. Christ you were all saying how sh*te you was.  😆 Never watched the match due to still being in oily land so I simply canā€™t comment on how bad you apparently played. Members saying you should have been 3-0 down at half time but yet again you lot stand in sh!t and come out smelling of roses.

I suppose as a manc I have to put my tints on and say well at least itā€™s another match for you in the FA Cup whereas the gunners can now concentrate on the league a bit more.     :f_whistle:

Without the tints on thought I will say this. You tw@ts donā€™t know when your beat at the moment 🤢 Time after time playing poorly yet still getting the results. 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø

One of my sons mates who also lives over here is big scouse fan and we played golf together yesterday.   I gave him hell on the course ( banter 😆 ) and on the 19th. Fair to say he gave me plenty back, obviously!!  He played with a pink ball till he lost it 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø who plays with a pink ball ? Must of been a women in disguise, he went on like one. ( bit like you )   Fortunately I took the Dirham off him just like Iā€™ll be taking your Ā£50 to good causes at the end of the year.  😉

We never played that badly 1st half, Arsenal just played well, pressing monsters. And we had a team that was missing loads of the normal suspects to it was to be expected tbh.

But Ali, never had that much to do, all of their chances were half chances at best, so its a bit of an over reaction. their shots were a bit like out shots v you lot the other week. crap. l o l

We sussed them out, and changed tactics 2nd half, then ended up winning.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      Reply #475: Jan 08, 2024 10:51:16 am

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Keep dreaming fucknuts, you know as well as I do the signs of a good side is when youā€™re not at your best but still pick up wins/points, your f***in lot did it for years, as well as Fergies watch, bullying of Refs and of course always always finding a last second winner, as a result,

We were sh*te first half, where in my post did I say we werenā€™t? Arse were all over us like a rash, but not our fault they canā€™t find the onion bag, that will prove their downfall, in the title race, yesterday there wasnā€™t much between the two teams on the day, but for game management / tactical awareness we were eons ahead,

Thereā€™s a reason why JĆ¼rgen Klopp is the best football manager on the planet, and yesterday he handed Arteta a lesson, or two, 1, trust one keeper and stick with him, 2, to win titles you need strikers, ā€˜Artetaā€™s indecision, being untrustworthy, not having enough up top, and lack of tactical nous, will only take you so far, as was proven last season, alright going gung ho and being entertaining, but it wins you F**k all if you donā€™t have all the tools in the box to finish the job !!

We are, as you well know are in transition, yet already our tool box is well equipped to deal with a title challenge as well as the cup competitions and in Europe, we did ride our luck yesterday in the first half, and probably the first 10 of the second, but then, JĆ¼rgen shuffled the pack, and almost straight away the pendulum swung, but despite still under pressure especially down the left, JĆ¼rgen played his ace card, Connor Bradley, and he nullified the threat of Martinelli, so much so, he has had a pocket sewn into his shorts , not sure why, but hereā€™s the point Iā€™m making, Connor Bradley is a academy prospect who was on loan at Bolton last season, heā€™s had maybe a handful of appearances mostly from the bench, yet he came on and totally dominated a well established premier league player and killed of their last threat to our goalā€¦.

How many of Artetaā€™s tools can he depend upon to come on and do a job like what Connor did, not many Benny and that applies to most in the EPL, so not only can we cope with a rival away from home while under strength, No Mo, No Virgil, No Endo, No Szlobo, No Robbo, No Tsimikas, yet, we beat a fully equipped Arsenal side, that most believe are the Fraudsters main rivals, 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣, you gotta laugh havenā€™t ya!!

You carry on Fucknuts, spouting yer Red tint sh*te, to me all that says is you got F**k all else to come back with, so suck it up buttercup, you better save up those Dirhamā€™s, youā€™re gonna need them come May ??

YNWA
      Harrisimo

• 8,367 posts | 1415 
      Reply #476: Jan 08, 2024 11:12:13 am
      In the 75th minute Jones & Elliott were subbed. And I'm sure both of them looked gobsmacked when they saw Bradley and Clark coming on. It was still 0-0 and both players had improved from the first half as had most of our team. Was it madness or genius from our gaffer?

Bit of both I suspect.
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2024 11:29:58 am by Harrisimo »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4955 
      Reply #477: Jan 08, 2024 11:16:36 am
      One thing glaringly obvious last night is they need a striker badly.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,315 posts | 769 
      Reply #478: Jan 08, 2024 11:17:02 am
      Anyone would have to admit a win away to Arsenal is a very decent result.

Keeping Arsenal at bay in the first half was no mean achievement, the substitutions made the difference in the second half and two late goals brought a deserved victory.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #479: Jan 08, 2024 11:17:17 am

It was space purple Iā€™ll have you know , didnā€™t mind it tbh my grandson and nephew both had them on watching it with me three generations of us reds watching it together yesterday, made me feel old sat there with my dad both of us with our grandsons , my dad obviously with a great grandson
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2024 12:57:31 pm by andylfcynwa »
      Harrisimo

• 8,367 posts | 1415 
      Reply #480: Jan 08, 2024 11:33:46 am
      In the 75th minute Jones & Elliott were subbed. And I'm sure both of them looked gobsmacked when they saw Bradley and Clark coming on. It was still 0-0 and both players had improved from the first half as had most of our team. Was it madness or genius from our gaffer?

Bit of both I suspect.

Think Elliott was subbed to release Trent into midfield. Jones was the real surprise as he has proved his worth and is maturing into a top player. Clark has only had a few mins against B'Mouth. Brave or mad?

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      Reply #481: Jan 08, 2024 11:48:27 am
      It was space purple Iā€™ll have you know , didnā€™t mind it tbh my grandson and nephew both had them on watching it with me three generations of us reds watching it together yesterday,

Itā€™s certainly not the worst kit weā€™ve had but, itā€™s still f***in horrendous, wheelie bin purple ffs, I donā€™t know how Nike comes up with this kind of sh*te each and every season, why canā€™t they do a fans survey of the colours the fans would prefer for second & third kits ?

After all weā€™re the Cnuts being ripped of for buying it in the first place, so at least give us a say on how we should look ??

My preference would beā€¦..2nd kit ā€¦White shirt, with red piping around the neck & cuffs, V neck, with either a red or gold liver bird on yer left tit, black Shorts, red socksā€¦.

ā€¦.3rd kitā€¦.all yellow, shirtā€¦again with red piping, same as 2nd kit, both traditional and Iā€™m no number cruncher, but I bet theyā€™d sell more of these kits than the purple or Green we have presently??

YNWA
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,198 posts | 3478 
      Reply #482: Jan 08, 2024 11:50:18 am

Quick Reply