Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Hurry: Offer Rafa a new contract

Read 20153 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Hurry: Offer Rafa a new contract
      Reply #161: Feb 15, 2009 04:01:55 am
      Both Hicks and Gillett have agreed to make concessions for the Spaniard - agreeing to hand him full control over transfers.

That's 99% of what he wanted. He asked for a table, he's getting a table.

Good news, but I'll believe it when I see it.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #162: Feb 15, 2009 05:15:13 am
      About bloody time I say once this is sorted lets move on and renew Danny's contract. F***ing farsicle that two idiots who know sh*t all about "soccer" are having so much say in how the club will be run on the field.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #163: Feb 15, 2009 06:49:17 am
      About bloody time I say once this is sorted lets move on and renew Danny's contract. F***ing farsicle that two idiots who know sh*t all about "soccer" are having so much say in how the club will be run on the field.
                   Well said Dadorious, if it is true the next bit of good news we want to hear is Tom,George,Parry and Moores have relinquished all control of the club.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #164: Feb 15, 2009 08:04:26 am
      Why does he want control of the Academy? Isn't like he loves bringing in young players ::)
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #165: Feb 15, 2009 09:02:21 am
      Why does he want control of the Academy? Isn't like he loves bringing in young players ::)

Perhaps because he didn't choose the young players that we have..
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #166: Feb 15, 2009 09:24:31 am
      Hope it's true
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #167: Feb 15, 2009 11:47:38 am
      Perhaps because he didn't choose the young players that we have..

Good point...
      collector
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts |
      Reply #168: Feb 15, 2009 12:12:34 pm
      There is smt wrong with Rafa.He buys a player, couple of months later he lets him go (Crouch,Pennant,Keane,Finnan,Garcia) thay all are great players and I keep asking myself why did he let tham go?I'm sure many ppl here disagree with some of Rafa's decisions.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #169: Feb 15, 2009 12:48:48 pm
      There is smt wrong with Rafa.He buys a player, couple of months later he lets him go (Crouch,Pennant,Keane,Finnan,Garcia) thay all are great players and I keep asking myself why did he let tham go?I'm sure many ppl here disagree with some of Rafa's decisions.
      there were issues with the players mentioned some debateable or not depending on your opinion,Crouch was unhappy with the bench and was mouthing off about it,Pennant was sh*te,Keane ditto,Finnan getting on a bit we had his best years and Garcia had trouble adjusting and fitting in to the style of play.If these observations are relevent over a number of games to most supporters how much quicker would the manager pick up on it and do what his instinct tells him.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #170: Feb 15, 2009 03:47:15 pm

Crouch, Pennant, Finnan, Garcia - that wasn't a couple of months - or perhaps you have no perception of time?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #171: Feb 15, 2009 04:35:06 pm

A number of points why this statement is wrong and pointless. (point 1 being my favourite)

1. Finnan was signed by Houllier not Benitez and spent many years at the club.
      2. Crouch and Garcia were at the club for longer than a couple of months, as was Pennant. Also, technically Pennant is still a Liverpool player.
      3. Crouch was let go because he wanted to play every week
      4. Garcia was allowed to leave as it helped enable us to get Torres!
      5. Finnan was getting on and wanted to play every week as his best days are more than likely gone.
      6. Keane was sh*te and wasn't prepared to fight for his place

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #172: Feb 15, 2009 05:00:12 pm
      I'll be over the moon if Rafa signs his contract this week.

Can't bear anymore unsteadiness off the pitch. Football needs to be the focus so I hope these reports are true.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #173: Feb 15, 2009 05:25:39 pm
      According to the Sunday Express he'll sign this week,wouldn't take any notice if it was one of the comics but its a reputable paper.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #174: Feb 15, 2009 08:03:35 pm
      I'll believe this when I see Rafa sign on the dotted line.

Come on................let's get this done and dusted and concentrate on the footy.
      When
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts | -5 
      Reply #175: Feb 15, 2009 09:31:14 pm
      Believe me Rafa will stay in Liverpool beacuse he love fans and club and we LIVERPOOL FAN´S LOVE RAFA
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #176: Feb 16, 2009 01:05:50 am
      I've said it many times and continue to believe that he shouldn't be given a contract until the end of the season but considering he's got one on the tabe the quicker it's signed the better.

I may be quite pleased to see him go at the end of the season if the league isn't delivered but I highly doubt that'd happen anyway so the quicker it's signed (now there's an acceptable contract offered) the better so his mind can be solely on the football and not worrying about his future.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #177: Feb 16, 2009 01:10:42 am
      If we are involved in a challenge this season then I would want him to stay.  I wouldn't say it was dependant on us winning the league or not, in my opinion anyway.

Considering the set-backs we have had this season with injuries to Torres and Gerrard (both twice) and the failure of Robbie Keane then I think we're doing pretty well considering the playing staff he has got.

Back to this contract, it needs to be sorted.  It should have been sorted a long time ago.  If only to stop the media Real Madrid bullshit in the games ahead.  I am sure that is one of the reasons that the urgency has increased.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #178: Feb 16, 2009 01:19:49 am
      If we are involved in a challenge this season then I would want him to stay.  I wouldn't say it was dependant on us winning the league or not, in my opinion anyway.

The only reason I've said it should be dependant on the league is because it doesn't (or shouldn't) take anybody five years to get us challenging for the league. We should of been challenging long before hand in my opinion.

But like I said, I doubt the owners would give Benitez the bullet whether or not we win the league so I'd rather it got signed sooner rather than later.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #179: Feb 16, 2009 01:20:10 am
      I've said it many times and continue to believe that he shouldn't be given a contract until the end of the season but considering he's got one on the tabe the quicker it's signed the better.

I may be quite pleased to see him go at the end of the season if the league isn't delivered but I highly doubt that'd happen anyway so the quicker it's signed (now there's an acceptable contract offered) the better so his mind can be solely on the football and not worrying about his future.

I can understand your point mate.

But Rafa has changed quite alot from the mess Houllier left behind. Not just the 1st team but also made effective changes to the youth system. We now have many young spanish/argentine kids, Pacheco, Leto, Insua to name a few.

Rafa came here with a 5 year plan. 1st year he worked on the goalkeeping, 2nd on the defence, 3rd on the midfield, 4th on up front and he tipped in the 5th year we will be ready. Looking how the season is going we are doing better than we thought in July 08 we would do. We are top of the league between the Big four. We have dramatically improved on that front.

New contract is needed, even though it is not guaranteed we will win the title because, the players dont know what is going on wth his contract, therefore it is effecting the lads. It really shouldnt but it does because players do think "if gaffer goes, then i am off too".... You may not agree but the players like Torres, Alonso, Riena, Riera, Masch, Lucas, Kuqt, Aurolio, Arbeloa..... do i need to carry on but these boys came here because of Rafa... Is Rafa goes, i can put my mortage on this that all these players would leave too.

Can we really be patience with another 5 year project with another manager?

Rafa is a proven manager but having poor control over the football matter hasnt helped him too.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #180: Feb 16, 2009 01:39:18 am
      I think they are waiting to see if he wins the league... I have a nasty feeling if number 19 doesn't turn up, those American tw*ts are going to fail to see the progress we've made this year and give Rafa the boot...
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #181: Feb 16, 2009 01:52:14 am
      Think it will happen sooner than later.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #182: Feb 16, 2009 02:15:35 am
      But Rafa has changed quite alot from the mess Houllier left behind. Not just the 1st team but also made effective changes to the youth system. We now have many young spanish/argentine kids, Pacheco, Leto, Insua to name a few.

Yes but from the early 2000's how further on are we? It's something I've always argued. From the highest point of Houllier's reign we've not massively improved in my opinion. It looks like miracle work because of our embarrassing side of 2003/04 but in my opinion Benitez has taken us back to where we were in 2001/02 probably with added success in the Champions League which Houllier never acheived, although had the heart attack not happened I fully believe he would of.

As for the youngsters, I think we had some decent talent under Houllier as well, not quite to this standard mind you, but I always thought Pongolle was a good player along with the likes of Darren Potter, John Welsh, Paul Harrison, David Raven, Jon Ostemboar who I think could of been a good player for the club if they wasn't shifted out after only a handful of games. I think Houllier was under the impression that if you wasn't Pele on your debut you wasn't good enough and it's meant that no youngster has really been able to establish himself for some time. The current crop of youngsters are very talented and hopefully some can follow in Insua's footsteps and make the step up on a regular basis soon.

Rafa came here with a 5 year plan. 1st year he worked on the goalkeeping, 2nd on the defence, 3rd on the midfield, 4th on up front and he tipped in the 5th year we will be ready. Looking how the season is going we are doing better than we thought in July 08 we would do. We are top of the league between the Big four. We have dramatically improved on that front.

We're not doing better than I expected mate. I always expect Liverpool to win the league because in my opinion we should be the best team in the world every year. I know that can't happen but it's still what I expect. And I don't care if we're top of the big four table if we're not top of the big twenty. Being top of the league is more important than being top of the big four table.

Plus he did come with a five year plan and that five year plan shouldn't have to go on to six (or more) years. I know it's difficult with other factors that go on in a world of football but we were well on corse to achieve the league in that five year plan at the end of 05/06 when we were as good as I've ever saw us under Benitez. Since then I think we've stood still, certainly in the last two full seasons, this one seems to be moving forward however. Maybe this is the year.

New contract is needed, even though it is not guaranteed we will win the title because, the players dont know what is going on wth his contract, therefore it is effecting the lads. It really shouldnt but it does because players do think "if gaffer goes, then i am off too".... You may not agree but the players like Torres, Alonso, Riena, Riera, Masch, Lucas, Kuqt, Aurolio, Arbeloa..... do i need to carry on but these boys came here because of Rafa... Is Rafa goes, i can put my mortage on this that all these players would leave too.

I don't agree at all mate. If players are here for Rafa Benitez then I don't care if we lose them or not. They should be flattered that Liverpool Football Club even wanted them. I don't for one minute think Benitez being at the club hasn't helped influence them but I still don't expect there to be a mass exodus just because Benitez leaves. If there is, then they're not the type of player I want at this club anyway. I want people playing for the club, fans and shirt not just the manager.

Well with the set of players we have, I don't think it'd take a manager five years to win the league with them. That of course providng they want to play for Liverpool and not Rafa Benitez. In the same breath, I don't think with these players it'll take Benitez five years to win the league. So either way, with this group of players the league should be on it's way within five years. New manager or not.

Maybe I've just convinced meself that Benitez should be here for those five years then because it's his team and he deserves to lead them to the glory. In fact I think I have :laugh:

Rafa is a proven manager but having poor control over the football matter hasnt helped him too.

He also has a track record of problems with owners. I'm not saying the yanks haven't caused grief for the manager but he does have a track record of upsetting people, so I'd say he's hardly blameless. And at the end of the day, it's Benitez who picks the XI lads to go out on the field and implenment his tactics. He still has control over the football side of things, unless Parry is telling him to pick which I highly doubt. As far as I know the only questionable transfer as to whether it was Benitez' or not was Robbie Keane. And lets be honest how many of us (other than Mags) wasn't happy with that signing at the time?

I can understand your point mate.

Although I've picked it bit by bit, overall it's a good post mate.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #183: Feb 16, 2009 02:30:49 am
      Cheers mate. We all have opinions.

Which ever way we do think, this season is massive for Rafa and for me any many other fellow Liverpool fans, he has to deliver the title soon. Considering last seasons 4th position, an top place is bit of a jump but my main worry is, who would really want to manage a club which is in huge debt? We are skint in the transfer market in result. Another manager will come in and take few year to set the team on how he wants.

You made a top point against me..
      "If players are here for Rafa Benitez then I don't care if we lose them or not. They should be flattered that Liverpool Football Club even wanted them."
      But some of these boys are top quality players, have improved our side effectivily.

We as fans are losing the patience... The media is taking advantage of our mess... This is the 5th year of this so called "5 year project" but in this project he has given us the Champions League therefore i say give him another 2 full seasons to bring us the elite title..

Quick Reply