Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Sam Allardyce - West Ham manager

Read 9118 times
      LFCexiled
      Re: Big Sam Sacked!
      Reply #46: Jun 01, 2011 09:17:39 am
      Bump!

Not worth giving the pr**k a new thread.

Hired by the Hammers on a £1.5m 2 year deal with a £1m promotion bonus.

Mr Griffiths - Geography Teacher
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #47: Jun 01, 2011 12:47:11 pm
      I like West Ham but don't like fat Sam.

They will never get promoted with him.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #48: Jun 01, 2011 12:49:23 pm
      Personally I think he'll do alright there, its about as his level, he'll make them hard to beat and earn promotion I reckon.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #49: Jun 01, 2011 04:48:29 pm
      I have total respect for the Hammers but I feel sorry that they've hired him. Clearly the Real Madrid job didn't come up this summer as he expected.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #50: Jun 01, 2011 04:55:28 pm
      Good appointment by the Hammers, I'm not Sam's biggest fan but he will do a good job at that level.

Funny stuff about Newcastle supporters posted here earlier! Thought LFC had an understanding with Newcastle, both football & Maggie - brothers together, certainly didnt expect NUFC bashing!
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #51: Jun 01, 2011 05:41:16 pm
      I imagined he was holding out for the Real Madrid job.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,451 posts | 8657 
      Reply #52: Jun 01, 2011 08:34:39 pm
      I have total respect for the Hammers but I feel sorry that they've hired him. Clearly the Real Madrid job didn't come up this summer as he expected.

Well Jose can sleep soundly tonight!!

Good appointment by the Hammers, I'm not Sam's biggest fan but he will do a good job at that level.

Funny stuff about Newcastle supporters posted here earlier! Thought LFC had an understanding with Newcastle, both football & Maggie - brothers together, certainly didnt expect NUFC bashing!

How many Newcastle games have you been to recently, at least since the European Capital of Culture was awarded to our city, Newcastle have had a big problem with us.

The season they were relegated and the one before I've seen and heard Newcastle fans walking around the Anfield area giving it "In Your Liverpool slums" and then I've also seen trouble between Liverpool and Newcastle lads by the Flat Iron.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #53: Jun 02, 2011 02:00:45 pm
      About time dad got himself a new job, he's got a new car now too! must be paying him big bucks if he can go splash out on a 07 Focus! psml
      « Last Edit: Jun 03, 2011 06:54:21 am by AJ »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #54: Jun 02, 2011 02:41:31 pm
      Won't win the fans over at Upton Park. West Ham love proper football, not long ball bollocks that Allerdyce is famous for. Has got the right man in Carlton Cole to just lump it forward to. Big bulky f**ker who has very limited ability.

Be surprised to see the Hammers come up this year.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #55: Jun 11, 2011 02:18:52 am
      Won't win the fans over at Upton Park. West Ham love proper football, not long ball bollocks that Allerdyce is famous for. Has got the right man in Carlton Cole to just lump it forward to. Big bulky f**ker who has very limited ability.

Be surprised to see the Hammers come up this year.

You know, I think you are being a bit harsh on old jowly chops there DLS.

While I know what you are saying about the Hammers' fans I think Allardyce actually gets a bum rap. I watched Blackburn and Bolton a few times when he was their boss and I thought they knocked the ball around a lot better than our boys were doing at the time and they both had some decent players. Sure, they could be direct too but it was only part of what they did.

Besides, wouldn't he be an idiot not to take advantage of the strengths of the players available?

Not only that, I just don't get what is actually so WRONG with route one football. It can actually be a lot more exciting  than watching a 40 pass move, mostly in your own half, that fizzles out with the ball dribbling over the goal line after a scuffed 30 yard shot because everyone got frustrated with getting nowhere fast.

Just my opinion. I guess I actually like Big Sam so I see things differently to most. For example, everyone jumped on his comments about being suited better to Real Madrid or AC Milan but surely to god it was obvious he was just having a laugh. The man actually does have a sense of humour I think.

All that said, because of his long-ball REPUTATION he may well struggle to win over the Bubbles Boys but I think it will be their mistake more than his.

Time will tell.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #56: Jun 11, 2011 02:27:28 am
      He earned and deserves his reputation as a long ball merchant, no two ways about it. 
      Jesus Hearts LFC
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 116 posts |
      Reply #57: Jun 11, 2011 05:30:21 am
      He earned and deserves his reputation as a long ball merchant, no two ways about it. 

I'd also wager that he has earned and deserved his reputation of having his big head shoved firmly up a certain "Sir's" arse. Thankful he is not managing in the Premiership... I can only take so much of the sucking up to Slur Alex.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #58: Jun 14, 2011 06:59:28 pm
      I imagined he was holding out for the Real Madrid job.
      :lmao: :lmao:with this tw*ts ego he probably was.
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 13 
      Reply #59: Jun 14, 2011 07:52:34 pm
      I thought 'sacked' was his last name.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #60: Jun 14, 2011 09:38:35 pm
      You know, I think you are being a bit harsh on old jowly chops there DLS.

While I know what you are saying about the Hammers' fans I think Allardyce actually gets a bum rap. I watched Blackburn and Bolton a few times when he was their boss and I thought they knocked the ball around a lot better than our boys were doing at the time and they both had some decent players. Sure, they could be direct too but it was only part of what they did.

Besides, wouldn't he be an idiot not to take advantage of the strengths of the players available?

Not only that, I just don't get what is actually so WRONG with route one football. It can actually be a lot more exciting  than watching a 40 pass move, mostly in your own half, that fizzles out with the ball dribbling over the goal line after a scuffed 30 yard shot because everyone got frustrated with getting nowhere fast.

Just my opinion. I guess I actually like Big Sam so I see things differently to most. For example, everyone jumped on his comments about being suited better to Real Madrid or AC Milan but surely to god it was obvious he was just having a laugh. The man actually does have a sense of humour I think.

All that said, because of his long-ball REPUTATION he may well struggle to win over the Bubbles Boys but I think it will be their mistake more than his.

Time will tell.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with playing route one or to a side's strength. A manager will use his side's strengths to get results but West Ham are, traditionally, a footballing club. They like it on the floor with clever one, two touch passing. Much like ourselves and much like Newcastle, a club Allerdyce fu**ed up royally.

As for Blackburn and Bolton playing better football than us, well I must admit Bolton played some decent football under Coyle and Blackburn played some good stuff under Mark Hughes but Allerdyce tended to lump it up to his forward and hope it stuck. With Kevin Davies it usually did. He did add a bit of flair to his Bolton side a few years back with Okocha and Djorkieff (probably haven't spelt either correctly) but even then it tended to be thrown up to Davies and hope for the best. That's just the way Allerdyce sets his teams to play and will do the same with Carlton Cole, if West Ham are able to keep hold of him.

I personally think Allerdyce is a tw*t. Some of the things he's said about this club, some of things he's said about himself and a particular incident where he told his Bolton side to train in Tranmere's half before a match was a disgrace to football and John Aldridge. He's won F**k all in the game to be considered for any top job. The biggest club he's managed - Newcastle - he fu**ed up totally at to the point where the Toon Army where screaming "you don't know what you're doing".

But I have no intention of continuing this intriguing debate about the fat tw*t, so I'll bid you farewell for the time being.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #61: Jun 14, 2011 11:26:43 pm
      I didn't say there was anything wrong with playing route one or to a side's strength. A manager will use his side's strengths to get results but West Ham are, traditionally, a footballing club. They like it on the floor with clever one, two touch passing. Much like ourselves and much like Newcastle, a club Allerdyce fu**ed up royally.

As for Blackburn and Bolton playing better football than us, well I must admit Bolton played some decent football under Coyle and Blackburn played some good stuff under Mark Hughes but Allerdyce tended to lump it up to his forward and hope it stuck. With Kevin Davies it usually did. He did add a bit of flair to his Bolton side a few years back with Okocha and Djorkieff (probably haven't spelt either correctly) but even then it tended to be thrown up to Davies and hope for the best. That's just the way Allerdyce sets his teams to play and will do the same with Carlton Cole, if West Ham are able to keep hold of him.

I personally think Allerdyce is a tw*t. Some of the things he's said about this club, some of things he's said about himself and a particular incident where he told his Bolton side to train in Tranmere's half before a match was a disgrace to football and John Aldridge. He's won f**k all in the game to be considered for any top job. The biggest club he's managed - Newcastle - he fu**ed up totally at to the point where the Toon Army where screaming "you don't know what you're doing".

But I have no intention of continuing this intriguing debate about the fat tw*t, so I'll bid you farewell for the time being.

Totally agree. He's a complete tw*t who deserves to be done for crimes against football. A cancer of football.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,451 posts | 8657 
      Reply #62: Aug 06, 2011 01:53:41 pm
      Back talking bullshit again

Sam Allardyce: 'This season is all about winning...and I'm a winner'

Of all the places in England, Canary Wharf is perhaps the last one you might expect Sam Allardyce, "Big Sam" himself, to have made his home, three months shy of his 57th birthday.

But he loves it there especially, he says, his apartment, where a straight-talking Black Country lad who made his name in Lancashire lives next door to investment bankers.

It is 10 years since Allardyce first won promotion to the Premier League with Bolton Wanderers. It is 20 years this summer since he launched his management career at Limerick with a priest for a chairman and a transfer kitty raised by shaking a tin around local pubs. It is 30 years since he last decamped to London, as a player signed for £90,000 by Millwall. But the less said of that the better given Allardyce is now in charge at West Ham United.

He got to know Canary Wharf when Bolton Wanderers played away at West Ham and Charlton Athletic and is a regular in the Italian restaurant where we meet. As usual the story Allardyce has to tell is full of all the stuff that makes football interesting: transfer coups, billionaire owners, brutal sackings and the whiff of betrayal from those around him.

But most of all it is about taking on the challenge of restoring West Ham to the Premier League just two years before they are scheduled to move into the Olympic Stadium with a 60,000-capacity.

He takes great pride in having built a Bolton Wanderers team that achieved things the club had never done before (qualify for Europe) and he would like to do the same at West Ham, starting against Cardiff City in the Championship tomorrow.

Sacked by Mike Ashley at Newcastle and then again at Blackburn Rovers last year by the Venkys Group when they bought that club, does it depress him, being back in the Championship? "It doesn't depress me, because there are times in life when you take the chance to go and do better," he says. "And it went horribly wrong for me at [Newcastle]. But I sit comfortably with it because it was through no fault of my own."

Confidence is not something Allardyce lacks. Not now after the long struggle up through the hierarchy with Blackpool and Notts County to Bolton and certainly not since he established himself over nine years as a Premier League manager. And confidence is exactly what a beleaguered West Ham needed after last season's dismal relegation.

"It is a different challenge," he says. "It's not about trying to survive in the Premier League. It's about winning. A lot of the Premier League is just about surviving, for the money, and not about winning. I'm a winner and it will be exciting to try to win something this season.

"I'm me and I run a football club based on my structure, my model. My model has been developed over many years and I know that model works if everyone supports it. I have to get everyone believing in the expertise I own in that particular area. People will always question you in this job but I have the answers to make them understand what I am doing. The most important thing is to make West Ham believe they are winners. The team on the field are paid to win. They are not paid to play football and see how it goes. They are paid to win, in this case in a marathon season of 46 games."

He has signed Abdoulaye Faye, Joey O'Brien and Matt Taylor already and you would not bet against El-Hadji Diouf, another player from his time at Bolton and Blackburn, pitching up at the Boleyn Ground. But it was the signing of Kevin Nolan from Newcastle that caught the eye, especially as Allardyce had persuaded him to drop down a division.

"Kevin felt no loyalty to Newcastle United for what he had done there. We are a people business. Our understanding is something we built because he was a young lad when I came in to Bolton. I was a younger manager totally obsessed with making Bolton Wanderers a successful club. All those values he has taken away with him, but when he sought some loyalty back [at Newcastle United] it wasn't there.

"If you take a footballer for granted you will find that he will not be very happy and he will do one of two things. He will either leave or he just won't be as committed as he was before. There was a tremendous commitment from him. That's the element that's most exciting for me. It is what he is going to demand from the players and making sure we get out the division at the first time of asking. He has just experienced it at Newcastle. They got 102 points and he scored 17 goals [in their Championship winning season, 2009-2010].

"So when he's telling [West Ham team-mates] what it takes to get promoted, how are they going to argue with him? Carlton Cole can't argue with him. Scott Parker can't argue with him. Robert Green can't argue with him.

"Kevin can say to them, 'To get out of this league we are going to have to do this and if you don't do it you're going to get a shock. You will find out it ain't so easy'. That's one of the big pluses for me."

Allardyce has fought to keep on most of the staff at West Ham – "highly qualified, and in the right areas" – who he feels are more crucial than ever to keeping his players strong and focused over a gruelling 46-game season. He expects a lot of his staff and they tend to feel loyalty back to him. Which brings us to the uncomfortable question of Steve Kean, his successor at Blackburn.

Allardyce had taken Kean on at Blackburn when he was an out-of-work coach. Kean was given the manager's job the day that Allardyce was sacked by Venkys. Venkys were advised by the TV rights group Kentaro, whose affiliate company also happened to have Kean as a client. So how will Allardyce feel when he next encounters Kean on a touchline?

"I would say the thing is firmly in Steve Kean's court. Only he knows when he wakes up and looks in the mirror. He spoke to me once and I think that since then we have never spoken. [That was] the day I left. I rang him and said 'I've been sacked'. That was it."

Does Allardyce think Kean knew he was about to get the job? "He had to have, didn't he, really," he says. "They were sacking Neil McDonald [Allardyce's No 2] at the same time as me so I was saying 'Why? Why are you sacking him? Neil needs to take over. He's been a manager. If you don't like Sam Allardyce's face, fair enough but here's the man.'"

Pushed on what really happened at Blackburn behind the scenes, he said: "You know the answers to that. I can't repeat it.

"They [the Walker family trust] were desperate to sell the club for many, many years. My satisfaction at Blackburn was that I created so much interest in Blackburn. I know it sounds like I'm blowing my own trumpet but I might as well. Jose Mourinho does it all the time and everyone F***ing loves him, so why shouldn't I?

"I created such a vibrant football club that there were four or five [groups] who wanted to buy it having never previously shown any interest. Based on the fact that I was producing profit with results. It wasn't the best – Arsenal's profit ratio is so massive and obviously Manchester United sold [Cristiano] Ronaldo for £80m – but our profit ratio was fantastic.

"The year we finished 10th [2009-2010, his only full season] we made a profit rather than a deficit having [previously] kept them in the Premier League. It was the same at Bolton. When I left Bolton I made a net profit after eight years. That was not even including Nicolas [Anelka] because I left before he was sold."

And so it starts again, this time at a club that inspires great loyalty in its support despite the absence of any sustained success since the 1960s and no top-flight league title in their history. West Ham is a club for the incurably romantic and in that sense Allardyce fits right in because, as befits his nickname, he does like to think big.

"This team have to be ready to move and create a new history. To remember the past but to have people talking about the current time. Which is what people talked about at Bolton with the new Reebok [Stadium] legacy. It was not just about Nat Lofthouse. Now, the kids will talk about Anelka, Djorkaeff, Hierro, Campo, Okocha, Candela, Speed, Gardner. It's a modern day legacy. No one finished higher on a consistent basis than we did. If you look at the difficulties in our time compared to [the 1950s side], it was a greater achievement.

"So creating the new modern day history, for me has to go with the new stadium and not forgetting Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters. Not forget Alvin Martin or Tony Gale from the time when I played – they might not have won anything but it's the highest they have been since – and look to create a new modern day history."

These are strong opinions, and not everyone will agree with Allardyce but the man is past caring about that. He wants to be successful. So it is with some trepidation that the subject is broached of his alter ego, a satirical Sam Allardyce account on Twitter so popular it has more than 66,000 followers and was the subject of a legal attempt by Allardyce himself to shut it down. It is popular because it captures a commonly-held view of Allardyce with an absurdist twist. It is near the edge but it can be very funny.

"I have no idea about Twitter," Allardyce responds until he is persuaded to see the spoof as a back-handed compliment. "Yeah, you've changed my view, that'll do me. Mrs Allardyce reads it a lot. I suppose one day I'll have a look at it. It's a bit like an impressionist doing an impression of you. He might take the piss out of you, but you're happy he's done it."

Fair play to Big Sam. He does not always take himself as seriously as some have assumed. And do not doubt his commitment to making West Ham successful.

As his alter ego @TheBig_Sam recently tweeted to an aspiring manager seeking advice for his first game "Suit, ear-piece, head full of dreams. Sorted". For the real thing, one imagines tomorrow afternoon will be much the same.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/sam-allardyce-this-season-is-all-about-winningand-im-a-winner-2332543.html
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #63: Aug 12, 2011 04:41:11 am
      For a second I thought he had finally landed the Barcelona job!
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #64: Aug 12, 2011 08:35:38 am
      For a second I thought he had finally landed the Barcelona job!
      He really is so far up his own arse its unreal,he,s a fuckwit.His football has always being sh*t and always will be,i dont mind managers who tell it as it is like say tony pullis who always play to his teams strengths such as long ball or long throw tactics but can play some footy as well,but knobhead thinks he,s up there with the best in the buisness deluded doesnt even start to cover it.tit
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Re: Sam Allardyce - West Ham manager
      Reply #65: Aug 12, 2011 01:29:34 pm
      I guess he's talking himself up for the England job again in 12 months.  Having seen some of West Ham's opener last weekend, I don't think the FA will have him on speed dial.

I often wonder, if there is a bit of Sam Allardyce in the character Mike Bassett.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #66: Mar 28, 2012 03:41:31 pm
      Sam Allardyce defends West Ham style after fan chants
      West Ham United manager Sam Allardyce has defended his side's recent displays after his own supporters chanted about the side's style of football.

The Hammers boss vowed to play "the West Ham way" when he took over in June but fans have voiced their displeasure at what they see as direct tactics.

Supporters at the 2-0 win at Peterbrough were heard singing, 'We're West Ham United, we play on the floor'.

But Allardyce said: "I'm sick of all that rubbish."

The victory cemented West Ham's position in third and closed the gap on second-placed Reading, who the Hammers entertain at Upton Park on Saturday.

Allardyce has been on the receiving end of vocal criticism from fans in previous home matches, something he says he has found surprising.

"I think we've lost three at home all season so I don't know why they [the fans] are not harmonious - you'll have to ask the fans that," he added to BBC London 94.9.

"Perhaps their expectations are too much and they're getting a bit carried away, I don't know.

"The pressure is on us like it is every week. We have more pressure on us than anyone else, but we have to live with that and deliver, and today we did. Let's hope we do on Saturday."

The Iron have not lost since a 5-1 defeat at Ipswich Town on 31 January but a run of five consecutive draws, prior to the win over Peterborough, has seen them lose pace with leaders Southampton.

Despite the winless run Allardyce was keen to point out the encouraging performances his side have put in.

"I looked at the facts, and the facts are that at Burnley we've out-played them, out-passed them, away from home, and all the other six teams recently we've done exactly the same, that we've drawn against.

"The only team we didn't outplay was Southampton with 10 men recently, and that's probably eight games ago."

Allardyce's sides have previously attracted criticism over their style of play and the 57-year-old blamed the media and his previous team's successes for the criticism of his tactics.

"It didn't start off from there though [the media] - it started off from other managers many years ago, because they got jealous because I kept beating them.

"It's there and I just have to carry on, I don't let it affect me personally, I just know what's good for the players at West Ham, I know what's good for West Ham as a football club, and I know how to win football matches."

BBC

:lmao:

Always funny to see the man who 'could manage Real Madrid' struggling in the Championship.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #67: Mar 28, 2012 03:59:37 pm
      'We're West Ham United, we play on the floor'.

Fantastic.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #68: Mar 29, 2012 12:04:34 pm
      He's a delusional tw*t.

Quick Reply