Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Do we need a sports psychologist right now?

Read 4714 times
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Do we need a sports psychologist right now?
      Jan 14, 2008 11:42:39 am
      As mentioned in other threads, I am a firm believer in psychologists and the aid they can bring to elite sportsmen, if properly trainned at this highest level of professional football and it's pressures ...from business, media and us the fans alike.

I feel Rafa should think about this role at the club - on a formal basic - I understand Pako (to a point, not formally, and no way a professional/qualitified psychologist) had lots of one to ones with some of our star players (Xabi and StevieG amongst them).

I now feel this part of our preparation of our playing staff is (very probably) being ignored and we are need of help - nothing to be embarrassed about - at all... not with the volume of pressure WE (e.g. library silences at Anfield), the media and the owners (take-over distractions/tensions) have placed on the current talented playing staff (...and probably coaches too!!).

The only down side to contracting help of this nature is that the red-top tabloids would have a IGNORANCE field day (particularly in the current LFC/Rafa-attack regime...).

Lets me run through a very personal view (be it ignorant) of the squad at present and have an (I hope) educated guess at those who could be affected:

Reina - nope - looks happy, decent form and is a crutch to Torres in the settling in process.

Finnan - nope - although probably feeling his years now, could be coached by someone like Sammi to get the best out of himself as he gets older.

JAR - YES - wants to stay so badly, has had off-the-field bankrupcy and legal issues, great player with probably more in the talent-tank but his issues are probably above his shoulders...and now his boots.

Carra - nope - steady head - proved at Luton recently - leader/example of men? I think so.

Hyypia - nope - confident, mature man who must one day return to Melwood in a coaching capacity - total pro.

Arbeloa - maybe/YES - lost world-class form recently, even looked ordinary last couple of games - why?

Yossi - nope - "seems" level headed and confident.

Pennant - god YES - this chap maybe needs a therapist all to himself with his goings-on off the field and shows of petulant anger on it... could (should) become an England regular with his natural talent.

Xabi - YES - very close to Pako (friend, mentor and fellow Basque), not been the same player since Pako left - not an excuse - probably needs help to see him through transition... why not?

Momo - YES - always angry, always upset on the field - why?

Masch - nope - pretty consistent, and he should be the most distracted bloke in the squad right now...given his contract scenario. Just wants to play for LFC.

Gerrard - YES - looks down, not happy (head hanging body language) - off the field break-in can't of helped... or England Euro exit - to which he was Captain... he is NOT super-man, he is human and I think this type of aid would help him (close to Pako in his day, and not to Rafa - which shows now).

Babel - YES - young, talented but seems to be over-sensitive - IMHO needs strong man-management AND sports-psycological help - nothing wrong with that.

Torres - nope - unless the help would be in Spanish (very mature lad for his age, Captain of a massive club at the age of 19... and it tells).

Kuyt - YES - father died recently (his closest friend in football). Recently works his socks off to no effect - when he has done so well for Feyernord (and to a point LFC too) in the past - good players don't become bad players overnight.

Voro - YES - problems with national coach - called him lazy and fat - probably affected - came on a free, trying too hard or sometimes too little to prove himself worth the red shirt - off-the-field just had a baby (life changer) - to me looks like this kind of help could be very welcome.

Crouch - YES - continually dropped, continually rumoured in national media to leave - England exit too... another one who could be probably assisted.

Kewell - YES - has had more injuries (and resultant mental setbacks) than the old Evil Knievel - mentally strong and talented but no super-man, vunerable as the next man - wants to stay, contract expiring, pressure, pressure, pressure.

Lucas, Aurelio, Agger - don't think so - no played that much - depending on how Agger comes back after long injury, maybe...

I make that from 21 squad members - 11 that probably (given these are guesses made on a stereotypical basis) .. but look at the cases for it... how many are really whacky and off the mark? ...how many of those 11 are the under-performing contingent... and you start to see a pattern...

Now think of Man Utd and Arsenal and think how many of their players are under similiar pressures... I'm sure there are a few - but that many (I.e. half the squad???)

Your comments most welcome on this often taboo, misunderstood and often ridiculed subject.

Without doubt, in this industry, the best compliment to any psychological help, is winning... but on current form we look like we need a shake-up of some nature or a nice mega-goal-fiest (Luton?) to get rid of a few "ghosts".

Your comments, if thought through, most welcome (in favour or against) - but if you are going to take the mickey out of the topic/area for the sake of it - go on the the next topic please.

...and I haven't even mentioned Rafa and the (very public) pressure he must feel (or the lack of human skills himself that some have said he lacks) - but HE is the man in the eye of the storm (along with Parry may I add...for other reasons) - but Rafa the man that has the maturity to see this storm though... and hear that Lark singing in the sky at the end of it.

IRWT YNWA

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2008 11:47:53 am by donrafael »
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Re: Do we need a sports psychologist right now?
      Reply #1: Jan 14, 2008 12:54:00 pm
      Come on Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners

We could get Hoiddle as well.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Jan 14, 2008 12:54:56 pm
      No they dont need a sports psychologist. They need a kick in the arse and told that they are playing for LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB. They are blessed to put that shirt on and for 90 mins plus any added time they have to give every ounce of sweat and if need be blood for that shirt. The only ones who come close are Carra and masch with Torres and Reina doing there job well. What happens off the pitch shouldnt effect what they do on it
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #3: Jan 14, 2008 01:00:16 pm
      Come on Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners

We could get Hoiddle as well.

Ignorant tw*t. I'm not talking faith healers - a la Eileen - this made me laugh dude...

Now for a serious answer perhaps?
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #4: Jan 14, 2008 01:03:17 pm
      No they dont need a sports psychologist. They need a kick in the arse and told that they are playing for LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB. They are blessed to put that shirt on and for 90 mins plus any added time they have to give every ounce of sweat and if need be blood for that shirt. The only ones who come close are Carra and masch with Torres and Reina doing there job well. What happens off the pitch shouldnt effect what they do on it

But with our sensitive souls it seems to be the case...

Blimey a kick up the arse? Gerrard gets upset if you don't tell him how good he is all the time apparently...

No seriously, these blokes need something else - we are in their hands and having a go probably doesn't work with the likes of Gerrard, Babel, Pennant, Momo, Voro and company.... think about it - I think giving them a dressing down would work with only a few ...and be totally counter-productive in most of the other cases.

Still laughing at the Eileen post - cracker!
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #5: Jan 14, 2008 01:04:06 pm
      Ignorant tw*t. I'm not talking faith healers - a la Eileen - this made me laugh dude...

Now for a serious answer perhaps?

Only serious questions merit serious answers.

Alternatively see Brian78.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #6: Jan 14, 2008 01:11:30 pm
      Only serious questions merit serious answers.

Alternatively see Brian78.

So I was right about the tw*t bit... at least the post/thread wasn't totally wasted.

Have you ever heard of sports psycologists? or even how the likes of Tiger Woods, Federrer, Alonso, England and Australian rugby teams, most NBA teams, most elite track-athletes... but not footballers on the whole (although I am sure a few do on the quiet)... use them, considering the pressure they are under on a daily basis?

So what exactly are you taking the piss out of Mr mature Oldred? ...when our own players are often splaterred on our tv screens and papers, even more than some of the world-stars I've mentioned above...

Nice to see the taboo, piss taking coming through though, as I thought it would... nice one fella.

Another crack at a decent answer maybe now sir? ..or too ashamed - come on - have a try at least?
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #7: Jan 14, 2008 01:23:44 pm
      Someone bring pako back
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #8: Jan 14, 2008 01:23:51 pm
      I believe in sports psychology alot but I also feel that the root cause of the problem needs to be addressed. I feel that whatever the personal problems of each individual the fact remains that we've been trying to launch a premiership title campaign under rather bizarre circumstances. From top to bottom the Club is beset by doubt, speculation and instability, not the best conditions to go on an unbeaten run during the second half of the season is it?
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #9: Jan 14, 2008 01:25:01 pm

Yep, bring Pako back.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #10: Jan 14, 2008 01:48:40 pm
      You make a good point Don, and while a full sports psychologist may not be the answer, the one to one aspect that left with Pako may be what we need.

I full understand Brian's feelings that all the players should be over the moon to pull on the Red shirt and should fulfill their potential week in and week out, but sometimes this isn't possible. Some things do get in the way such as family issues, financial issues (although they are a rarity with Premiership footy players for some reason! ::) or even issues within themselves.

Anyone who has been depressed (and I've witnessed Bi-polar depression at first hand through a family member so I know exactly what I'm talking about) cannot function in a reasonable or what would be considered a socially normal manner. This can spill into their work, and their outputs can be altered drastically. Relating this to Liverpool, while I'm not suggesting that half the players are suffering with depression, (just the majority of the fans after some of our 'bore draws' ;)) maybe there is something up with a few of our squad members.

A bad mood can change everything, and while the pride of playing for Liverpool should be enough for anyone to get their sh*t together and start delivering, it's unfortunately not entirely possible all the time! 

On the whole, I feel we should have a figure that players can speak to over their troubles. Gerrard couldn't cope during his Mam and Dad's break up and only started performing at a normal level again after he'd got it out in the open. This wasn't dragged out by a psychologist, and it was spoken between himself, Phil Thompson and Houllier. With Rafa not being as much of a people person, with his more 'player are cogs in the machine' view on management, (which works fine by the way ;)) a more approachable figure may be something we're missing at the club. :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Jan 14, 2008 02:00:37 pm
      Good idea Don. I feel it would be a great way to resolve some mental issues. But you forgot to mention someone who i believe needs it the most - Rafael Benitez. The guy needs some help, he has been copping it from the media and needs someone to help him relax and gain his confidence back in himself.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #12: Jan 14, 2008 02:02:39 pm
      Donrafael, you make a good point about getting a sports pychologist to help the lads and I fully agree with you.
      IMO the fundamental problem is lack of confidence,winning is the cure but the longer you go on not winning,the less confidence you have,hence harder to stop the rot.

They can tell how you're feeling from simple things like body language,facial expression or even how you smile.This is described as "emotional intelligence" with this expert help they could assist Rafa on how to deal with this,a good shooting at or an arm around the shoulder,choosing the wrong one could lead you into further turmoil.

Getting through something like this as a group would be amazing,you'd see the confidence level and mental strength soar,hence creating powerful bonds between them,giving them a calm and togetherness aura believing they can win no matter what.
      -------------------------------------------------
      Just a little aside this is why I think England will improve under Capello.In his first press conference he said" to be  successful coach you have to trust your players and need to know 3 things about your players (Do they have the ability needed?,What is their attitude like on the field? and what is their behaviour/habits like off the field)" the last two can be worked on with a sports psychologist or using his vast expierence/dealings with previous clubs.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #13: Jan 14, 2008 02:08:40 pm
      They can tell how you're feeling from simple things like body language,facial expression or even how you smile.This is described as "emotional intelligence" with this expert help they could assist Rafa on how to deal with this,a good shooting at or an arm around the shoulder,choosing the wrong one could lead you into further turmoil.

Bit drastic don't you think mate! :lmao:

Good post though, and I agree with you on the England thing. I can see them improving drastically!

We need to get a feeling of togetherness! It's exactly why Luton outclassed us at their place! They were all in the sh*t and no-one else was going to do anything for them!

While we're not failing financially, we've the papers and journos on our back every time we slip up. We're not doing that well in the league and we have a big big match in the last 16 of the Champions League! We need the squad to back each other up and fight for the cause! :)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #14: Jan 14, 2008 02:39:59 pm
      Donrafael, you make a good point about getting a sports pychologist to help the lads and I fully agree with you.
      IMO the fundamental problem is lack of confidence,winning is the cure but the longer you go on not winning,the less confidence you have,hence harder to stop the rot.

Hence why I think Rafa will play our very strongest XI v Luton tomorrow... irrelevant of the opposition to get those positive hormones flowing again!

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #15: Jan 14, 2008 02:46:23 pm
      Just a little aside this is why I think England will improve under Capello.In his first press conference he said" to be  successful coach you have to trust your players and need to know 3 things about your players (Do they have the ability needed?,What is their attitude like on the field? and what is their behaviour/habits like off the field)" the last two can be worked on with a sports psychologist or using his vast expierence/dealings with previous clubs.

Following on with your Capello aside... he will not improve England as he doesn't have the raw materials in volume to deal with, I.e. enough world class players... which btw he has had in abundance at club level where ever he has gone... he's no talent-producing miracle-worker he is a talent-provoking leader of world-class players/egos... BIG difference.

Now going back to the strains of our players...

If Parry has his wits about him as CEO he would have advised Rafa of this soft-skills void when he sanctioned Rafa to find two replacements for Pako last summer, which Rafa duly went and did... because Rafa, I don't think, recognises this short-fall (good cop/pal-Pako, bad cop/boss-Rafa) in his present back-room team of pros...

...never forget Stevie G, JAR, Xabi and Momo were all close to Pako... see the pattern emerging... I didn't want to make this a Pako thread... been there done that... but the need for mental coaching (even if it was subconcious and not qualified as such from Pako) seems to be sadly, very sadly missed... just when we need it most "through the storm".
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #16: Jan 14, 2008 06:44:19 pm
      I thought we already had a sports psycologist?? http://www.thewinningmind.com/
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #17: Jan 14, 2008 06:45:34 pm
      We need the manager to tell the players to pull their fingers out.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #18: Jan 14, 2008 06:47:46 pm
      Every time I tell you that phychology is very important in sports achievements, but no one hear me.
      I think you remember all phychological methods used by Shankly. The way he could find approach to every player and put them in winning mood before the game.
      Now it's forgotten....Pity...
      I have read many books about how  phychology is important and helps sportsmen....
      Why do no one pay attention to that really?
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #19: Jan 14, 2008 07:24:16 pm
      I just think its all gone down since Paco left us. With him sitting at the right hand of Rafa, we were 1st in the Premiership! Yes FIRST!

Remember Paco was the father figure in the dressing room, Rafa just did the tactical work!
      It's like losing a father, you'd feel lost and that what I'm guessing the lads in the dressing room are feeling like!
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #20: Jan 15, 2008 07:10:05 am
      I just assumed we would have sports psychologist there already! This is a professional and demanding sport so I thought it obvious to have a shrink to get the best out of the players. I'm actually very dissapointed that we dont have one... :(

And with regards to pako, I think Rafa's statement about not missing the work of somebody who was considered one of the best in the world is bullshit......we at least need to replace him and take some of the pressure off rafa behind the scenes because heaven knows he's got enough on his plate now with the 3 stooges in charge.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #21: Jan 15, 2008 08:06:19 am
      fully agree with you there venom-c
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #22: Jan 15, 2008 10:54:26 am
      I just assumed we would have sports psychologist there already! This is a professional and demanding sport so I thought it obvious to have a shrink to get the best out of the players. I'm actually very dissapointed that we dont have one... :(

And with regards to pako, I think Rafa's statement about not missing the work of somebody who was considered one of the best in the world is bullshit......we at least need to replace him and take some of the pressure off rafa behind the scenes because heaven knows he's got enough on his plate now with the 3 stooges in charge.

As many say, Pako was carrying out this role, in an unofficial manner before... how Rafa thought De Miguel or Vales could pick up those emotional links with the players - only he (and Parry) know.

I have a very bad feeling that Pako would return to Anfield should Maureen ever come here... you heard it here first.

I still haven't lost all hope that Pako (who still lives in England...) will one day re-unite his services with his once close, very close, friend and colleague Rafael.

Quick Reply