Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Rafa be in charge of Liverpool next season?

Yes
      62 (84.9%)
      No
      11 (15.1%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: Feb 04, 2008 07:47:31 am

Vote: The tide is turning against Rafa?

Read 4135 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Vote: The tide is turning against Rafa?
      Jan 31, 2008 07:46:53 am
      I think the fans have been fairly patient so far but from the responses we get via email and comments on the site it would appear that the tide is beginning to turn against Rafa.

Vote in the poll above.

Should Rafa be Liverpool's manager next season?

The results will be published on Saturday.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Re: Vote: The tide is turning against Rafa?
      Reply #1: Jan 31, 2008 07:49:26 am
      Yes, consistency is the key, and if the fans succeed in buying the club, then I can't see them getting rid of Rafa, he is a favourite with the fans.
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #2: Jan 31, 2008 08:08:47 am
      Definitely yes! Why would you want to change the manager and then go through yet another "rebuilding" period. Consistency is what breeds success!! The players also need to start shouldering some of the blame!! We have been crying out for Rafa to play his strongest team and when he does and results don't improve some people still have a go at him!! The man cant do anymore than pick the team, after they cross the white line its up to them to do the business!! As the article on the home page says, some of the players aren't fit enough to wear the shirt.

Question: Who out there and available is a better manager than Rafael Benitez??
      Answer: Nobody
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3: Jan 31, 2008 08:25:17 am
      RAFA has done well in his first 3 seasons at Anfield and could very well add the F.A.Cup and the European Champions Cup to his tally this season.OK we are not doing as well as we would of liked in the league but we have not had a manager since Kenny Dalglish who has done anything  in the league.Hopefully Tom and George will back RAFA with funds to buy the players he needs to take us to number 19.
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #4: Jan 31, 2008 09:24:55 am
      I voted yes.

He deserves one more year. The only thing keeping him in a job as far as I am concerned is a combination of 3 things.

1. He has won some major trophies.

2. Hicks behaviour.

3.The fact that we are still in the FA Cup and European Cup.
      FIVESTAR
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts | -11 
      Reply #5: Jan 31, 2008 09:37:48 am
      lets act now we kept houlier a couple of seasons to long i hope we don't make the same mistake again.Thanks for the memories but it is time to go. i read  star players may go with him, would that be both of them and are they going to stay if this carry on I don't think so
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #6: Jan 31, 2008 09:39:03 am
      I have to admit I was disappointed with the tactical awareness from Rafa last night. I really couldn't work out what he was trying to do when replacing Kewel with Lucas, and was not sure why he didn't bring Crouch on and be more direct with Crouch being the link man. We have had a couple of games like that now, where it feels like half the players on the pitch don't seem to know what they are supposed to do when the gameplan is set in motion. However having said that I do think Rafa has a done a good job but the lack of consistency is rather worrying this season, but do bear in mind the immense pressure that he has been under from the continuing press harassment. And having said that the players should also stand up and take responsability, I hear SG in an interview stating that all the off field antics with the yanks and what not are affecting the players. Well I'm sorry chap but you are all pro footballers who are paid a lot of money to do your job, things like this should not in anyway effect you and you should be totally focused on what is going on on the pitch and not what is going on in the board room, after all you are all professionals aren't you ??

I for one do think we should keep going with Rafa and not jump to any hasty decisions regarding his future at this time, however I do believe in the club and not just Rafa, and will not be blinded by past glories when our future is at stake.
      We need to get a run of results now and if we dint then I not only believe Rafa should take responsability but also a number of players should stand up as well to be counted due to lack luster performances. As for the vote In this thread I really don't know what to think yet as the season is not over by some way and as I have stated in previous posts I will make my assumptions and judgment's once the season is over, and not now over a hypothetical scenario.

In the meantime I do think we should get behind the team as never before and give them our whole hearted support to show them they are not alone in these dark times, lets put the west ham game behind us roll up our sleeves and get a good result against Sunderland CMON YOU RED MEN..
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #7: Jan 31, 2008 09:45:31 am
      I don't think he's done enough to keep his job.

He's now been quoted in saying "We will finish in the top four" - where's the quotes "Will be much closer this year" gone.  Say's it all in my opinion.

The so called 'tactical genius' can't seem to get the tactics right in the league - which is the bread and butter!
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #8: Jan 31, 2008 09:49:17 am
      I have to admit I was disappointed with the tactical awareness from Rafa last night. I really couldn't work out what he was trying to do when replacing Kewel with Lucas, and was not sure why he didn't bring Crouch on and be more direct with Crouch being the link man. We have had a couple of games like that now, where it feels like half the players on the pitch don't seem to know what they are supposed to do when the gameplan is set in motion. However having said that I do think Rafa has a done a good job but the lack of consistency is rather worrying this season, but do bear in mind the immense pressure that he has been under from the continuing press harassment. And having said that the players should also stand up and take responsability, I hear SG in an interview stating that all the off field antics with the yanks and what not are affecting the players. Well I'm sorry chap but you are all pro footballers who are paid a lot of money to do your job, things like this should not in anyway effect you and you should be totally focused on what is going on on the pitch and not what is going on in the board room, after all you are all professionals aren't you ??

I for one do think we should keep going with Rafa and not jump to any hasty decisions regarding his future at this time, however I do believe in the club and not just Rafa, and will not be blinded by past glories when our future is at stake.
      We need to get a run of results now and if we dint then I not only believe Rafa should take responsability but also a number of players should stand up as well to be counted due to lack luster performances. As for the vote In this thread I really don't know what to think yet as the season is not over by some way and as I have stated in previous posts I will make my assumptions and judgment's once the season is over, and not now over a hypothetical scenario.

In the meantime I do think we should get behind the team as never before and give them our whole hearted support to show them they are not alone in these dark times, lets put the west ham game behind us roll up our sleeves and get a good result against Sunderland CMON YOU RED MEN..

Agreed.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #9: Jan 31, 2008 10:13:21 am
      Likewise I have to totally agree with you Prag
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #10: Jan 31, 2008 10:22:27 am
      Yes, Si.

Understand Liverpool, the city, the club, the sentiment... trying desperately to turn the club round... this season for the first time got hold of youth, doing well.

Pako exit + Parry sale-fiasco = Difficult season to win anything.

Rafael Benitez will prove to be the new messiah/Shankly - just give him time to finish what he has start, decent money ...and most importantly (for him) Respect/Love, if not... he won't need to be pushed (he won't have any trouble finding a new job in Spain/Europe) - HE,  my friends, will walk.

I R W T
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #11: Jan 31, 2008 10:28:18 am
      I've got a problem with this.

This is just fanning the flames for the Get Rafa Out brigade. Oh look...... the usual Suspects are on here

Firstly it wasn't so long ago on this forum that we had the 'I back Rafa' Campaign. I think if you are going to back Rafa, then back him through thick and thin. Don't run around in circles like headless chickens just because of a recent run of bad form.

I just like to know who'd you replace Rafa with and also whether we should hold the players to account?

I'd like to discuss a possible link maybe between the bad run of form and the upheaval going on at the club?
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #12: Jan 31, 2008 10:48:02 am
      I've got a problem with this.

This is just fanning the flames for the Get Rafa Out brigade. Oh look...... the usual Suspects are on here

Firstly it wasn't so long ago on this forum that we had the 'I back Rafa' Campaign. I think if you are going to back Rafa, then back him through thick and thin. Don't run around in circles like headless chickens just because of a recent run of bad form.

I just like to know who'd you replace Rafa with and also whether we should hold the players to account?

I'd like to discuss a possible link maybe between the bad run of form and the upheaval going on at the club?

Great shout mate.

Gerrard has a lot to do with this bad run, ok we are a club, not a one man show, but this guy is our CAPTAIN, our LEADER OF MEN WALKING THROUH THE STORM ffs.

I don't even see Gerrard being verbal on the pitch anymore, he walks around looking pissed-off... so unlike what a Liverpool captain should be doing, irrelevant of his ability.

Maybe instead of talking if Rafa has gone by his sell by date, we should be thinking if it's the right time to get mega-bucks for a lad (I can't believe I'm typing this, but seems almost logical !) - the lad has proved to have itchy feet before  ...and is without doubt a world class player, but might be dragging down the team in his (seems to be) ever-cyclical emotional rollercoaster... I mean WHEN will the REAL Stevie G step forward ...play and lead?

bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #13: Jan 31, 2008 10:52:59 am
      To say the players are not affected is daft they live and work at the heart of LFC so the rumours at the height of the Hicksgate must have been the major talking point,is Raffa being replaced,is DIC taking over,is Doris the tea lady being dismissed,of course it affected them and some more than others and because of all the nonsense that went on and is still going on it's still the talk of the league,you can point your finger no further than Hicks for this mess and for Benitas having to work through it all must have been difficult mind you thats not an excuse for the teams he's picked but it may point to a reason why Raffa's been more unpredictable than he normally is......
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #14: Jan 31, 2008 11:24:48 am
      Great shout mate.

Gerrard has a lot to do with this bad run, ok we are a club, not a one man show, but this guy is our CAPTAIN, our LEADER OF MEN WALKING THROUH THE STORM ffs.

I don't even see Gerrard being verbal on the pitch anymore, he walks around looking pissed-off... so unlike what a Liverpool captain should be doing, irrelevant of his ability.

Maybe instead of talking if Rafa has gone by his sell by date, we should be thinking if it's the right time to get mega-bucks for a lad (I can't believe I'm typing this, but seems almost logical !) - the lad has proved to have itchy feet before  ...and is without doubt a world class player, but might be dragging down the team in his (seems to be) ever-cyclical emotional rollercoaster... I mean WHEN will the REAL Stevie G step forward ...play and lead?

I think you are being harsh there don. Reason being is you seem to be trying to lay the blame of the disapointments on one or two people and I dont think that is justified to be honest. I would agree with you that SG has not been on par for sometime now, and his non existance expecially in the first half in last nights game was the iceing on the preverbial cake.
      Personnally I think its the whole team that should take the critisisim this includes the management. There is no evidence as of late of the well oiled red machine that Rafa so often refers too, and in my honest opion the whole team needs to sit down and have a bloody good word with itself, people are not performing to their full potential this is true. But bear in mind as supporters we still need to remain positive and shout our support and in some way this could help eliviate the obvious problems that are in evidence at this time.

My point being is being negative as a supporter could lead to more problems and by singling out scapegoats could cause the inner fighting to get worse and worse. I Would argue we need to be more positive, even in a bad game like that we need to look for positives and try to bulid on them but keep shouting our support no matter what. In a results driven industry like football its obvious that a bad run will culminate in changes, but as supporters we still need to show some positive understanding when the chips are down.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #15: Jan 31, 2008 02:32:25 pm
      I voted yes, simply because he needs another chance and with that chance he must be given freedom to his job and to do it his way.

I believe that he should be given freedom to spend in the summer, and he should not AT ALL be interfeared during the season when doing his job!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #16: Jan 31, 2008 04:00:59 pm
      I've voted yes. We've gone through so much rebuilding in the past few years, and have still achieved success. If we persevere and get behind Rafa and the team then there'll be more to come!

We're still in the FA Cup and the Champions League so there is still a hope of silverware at the end of the season (which would be more than we achieved last season!) One more win and we're fourth again on the current points tally.

He's now been quoted in saying "We will finish in the top four" - where's the quotes "Will be much closer this year" gone.  Say's it all in my opinion.

You can read into the quotes of 'we're looking to finish fourth' instead of our early title hopes as much as you want. Get f*cking real! What do you want him to say. 'We're still going to win the league'? We're out of the race now, and Rafa isn't disguising that! Could you see the likes of Mourinho doing that? To be fair to Rafa though, he's did well to manage to stay in the job with all the sh*t hanging around the club! Any sh*te like that, especially with owners going behind your back for a replacement, and most would be off!

I think it's so easy to jump on and slag the manager off when things aren't going right. We know that he's tactically capable in the league, so what's been going wrong? We can't completely lay the blame on Rafa! I've heard a lot of comments that the teams he's put out should have taken apart the opposition (whether it be Luton, H & W, West Ham, etc) so why didn't they? If the tactics are fine, then the players must be affected about all of the uncertainty surrounding the club!

Getting rid at the end of the season would push us back a few years. A lot of the squad would leave. The players that stay may not necessarily be the new manager's cup of tea, or they might not be able to adapt to the new style of playing. Why do that to ourselves when we have experienced success first hand with Rafa and we know he is capable of getting a Premier League winning tally of points (82 points in his second season, enough to win the league most years!)

Now get behind the team. Swerve all of this negativity! We're Liverpool Football Club. We have to answer to nobody! We let our success do the talking and one day soon we'll be pushing ahead in League Titles. Don't let us end up like Newcastle fans, calling for heads at the first sniff of a bad patch, and consistent in nothing but under achieving!
      nemolyk
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #17: Jan 31, 2008 04:14:34 pm
      i insist that rafa should
      no matter how bad he did he had brought us two champions
      we should be patient
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #18: Jan 31, 2008 04:26:43 pm
      I have said it time after time. Wait till the end of the season. ow can you people judge before the season is over. The people who say he must not go are as ignorant as those who say he must! Lets wait towards the end of the season to judge the man.

I hope he does well because i really like and believe in Rafa but if he does not show us the results we are expecting, I am afraid he must go. If not this season, at most the next season. Next season at most should be his last chance.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: Jan 31, 2008 07:08:00 pm
      It will be interesting to read the posts if RAFA was to win the F.A.Cup and the European Champions Cup again.If that were to happen I would hope it will not be too late to convince RAFA to stay.AS regards players being affected,they get well paid and there is no suggestion that they will not get paid-so whats to worry about.They should try living on a working mans wage with a family to feed and clothe then they might have something to worry about.I dont begrudge them earning good money,all I ask for is 100% effort from them when they wear the RED SHIRT of LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB.
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Reply #20: Jan 31, 2008 07:27:58 pm
      so we have had a bad time of it as of late dont care what anybody says the recent goings on must not of helped results and ok last night we could say was a game where we might say but the goings on have appeared to have settled down and that is a fair point but lets not get to hasty saying rafa should go or shouold he be in charge next season.

It is not in the realms of impossibility that we could still win 2 cups here and we may all bleat on about how badly we need to win the league and i couldnt agree more but nobody has ever said we need to win the league this year i think we all got a bit carried away with things myself included with new owners and torres and a 6-0 demolition of derby county where we went top when all we really wanted to see was progress which i honeslty believe has been made the squad is better than it has been for a long time and is the league over....no to win maybe but we can still finish top 4

The media circus surrounding us has been going on for the best part of 3 months which must surely have hampered our chances of winning games now depending on what goes on behind the scenes and everything remains rosie at least on the surface rafa stays and gets full backing from the yanks or whoever maybe in control of the club then we start a real assault on the prem as a happy club as either f.a cup holders or....champions of europe
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #21: Jan 31, 2008 09:47:51 pm
      Right now, if you are asking for Rafa's head, in my opinion you are a glory hunter ...the kind of which doesn't really reflect the sentiment that characterises the supporting of this great club and institution.

Period. Basta. Finito. End of.

IRWT
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #22: Jan 31, 2008 09:55:49 pm
      It's strange what a win or defeat does to some of us.A win makes us feel invincible like we'll never lose again.A defeat following on from 4 draws brings out the rope to hang the guy who put us in this position.Look at these things from different angles and we all come up with a different view and I guess that's the debate football brings out in all of us.

I am looking now from the angle that raffa is used to and that's a winter break. It's something Raffa has been used to in Spain,a time to recharge the batteries and to sit and not have to think of football for 3wks but here in England he hasn't had that and it's the first time here I believe that Raffa has been under real pressure,first the owners undermine him and at the time that this is going on the team ups and loses it's confidence. It's enough to try the patience of a saint and if that's not bad enough some so called fans decide to have a go and at the end of the day most of us mere mortals would have cracked so my respect for the man Benitas is unbounded and I really hope he shows all just what he is about as I really think that given the time and backing he will show all who and what he's about so give him your patience...Sack at your peril repent in haste...

Quick Reply