Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are you happy for us to be going after David Bentley?

Yes. Very good player with great potential.
      51 (60.7%)
      No. We could do better going after someone else.
      19 (22.6%)
      Undecided.
      14 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 83

David Bentley (Blackburn)

Read 27904 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: David Bentley
      Reply #23: Mar 25, 2008 08:02:41 am
      What is it with buying players from Blackburn,the last one we bought from them his name began with ( Bellamy ) We thought he was good till he got to Anfield but sadly it seemed he preferred to practise his golf swing.To this day J.A.R. will not go near a golf course :f_tongueincheek:

Ill stop you there, Bellamy and Bentley are entirely different. Bentley is a prospect while Bellamy was bought with limited cash. There is a gulfing class between them.

Bentley is quality, if anyone was asked whether they want Bentley or Pennant before the rumour spread we were in for him i have no doubts 99% would say Bentley. Whats with the hand of rejection when we enter the market for a quality winger who wont need time to settle?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #24: Mar 25, 2008 08:47:20 am
      Ill stop you there, Bellamy and Bentley are entirely different. Bentley is a prospect while Bellamy was bought with limited cash. There is a gulfing class between them.

Bentley is quality, if anyone was asked whether they want Bentley or Pennant before the rumour spread we were in for him I have no doubts 99% would say Bentley. Whats with the hand of rejection when we enter the market for a quality winger who wont need time to settle?
      crouchino it was said tongue in cheek and was in no way a slur on Bentley,there is nothing I would like better than to see 2 class wingers at Anfield.Now if you could find a Peter Thompson,John Barnes, a Callaghan or wingers of that class I would be delighted.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #25: Mar 25, 2008 08:48:27 am
      Apologies then there my friend. Babel reminds me of some footage i saw of Barnes (not much though).
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #26: Mar 25, 2008 08:57:05 am
      Apologies then there my friend. Babel reminds me of some footage I saw of Barnes (not much though).
      Thanks for that but I still think Babel would be better up front in the centre.He is good but would have to go a long way to reach the level that Barnes had when he was at his peak. Cheers
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #27: Mar 25, 2008 09:13:47 am
      We need a world class winger.
      Or take a risk that one will become one.
      In form Mancini is. So is Quaresma if he fulfils his potential.
      I can't see many other options...Bentley will be a very good player, a good player potentially on a CL/Premier League winning team...but I feel he's not a world-beater or a game-breaker tbh.
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #28: Mar 25, 2008 11:20:46 am
      Babel will be a great left-winger. He is terrific at coming inside to shoot or finding a pass. He also goes outside his man, as he did yesterday to leave Brown for dead - a shame there was no-one to pick out in space in the middle. He's still learning, but he has pace and skill, and that's mostly what you need. Ronaldo doesn't go outside his man much, he comes inside to shoot or pass.

Bentley is not really a winger, but a skilful all-round player with quality delivery - just what we need from dead balls as well. A bit arrogant, but maybe that can be good - you need to have some balls at a big club. Would be happy to see him here.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #29: Mar 25, 2008 12:49:04 pm
      What we need is for Babel to realise that wonderful (world-class) potential that he has... because when he does (...and he will) Bentley won't even cross our thoughts...
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #30: Mar 25, 2008 01:56:19 pm
      What we need is for Babel to realise that wonderful (world-class) potential that he has... because when he does (...and he will) Bentley won't even cross our thoughts...

So So true. He has so much power on the field and i cant wait too see his full potential
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #31: Mar 26, 2008 06:06:57 am
      He will be great lads, dont you worry. Personally when i see him run at defenders i think of one C.Ronaldo in his second season when he started to show what he could do. Ryan knows he can be great with the right frame of mind and Rafa will make sure he is kept in check while blossoming.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,386 posts | 1542 
      Reply #32: Mar 26, 2008 11:15:36 am
      'Benitez confident of landing Bently' Why wouldn't he be ? Bently wants lo leave Blackburn to increase his chances of playing in europe. And who else is rushing to buy him ? Any other top clubs clamouring for his signiature ?  I don't hear of any, perhaps that says enough on his quality.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #33: Mar 26, 2008 05:06:11 pm
      'Benitez confident of landing Bently' Why wouldn't he be ? Bently wants lo leave Blackburn to increase his chances of playing in europe. And who else is rushing to buy him ? Any other top clubs clamouring for his signiature ?  I don't hear of any, perhaps that says enough on his quality.

Or perhaps it doesn't. None of the other big English clubs have any need to strengthen their right side of midfield, so why should they be in for him?

As I said before he is a player that's vastly under-rated, unfortunately some fans won't be happy unless we sign a 'name'. Even Wenger pretty much admitted he should've kept him, I recall him being asked before & his response was 'We can't look to the past'. When the journo asked him if he would sell him now if he was still on the books at Arsenal, he again repeated the statement with a wry smile on his face. He may not have directly admitted it but it was plain to see by his body language that he knew he'd got that one wrong.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #34: Mar 26, 2008 05:36:09 pm
      Out of all the England squad this is one guy I'd like to see in a Red shirt, he always seems to give his best even when heads are dropping around him although I've only seen him on MOTD or when he plays us live or is involved in a live game on TV but I like what I see and think Bentley would be a plus to our midfield. Hope we get him....
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #35: Mar 27, 2008 06:50:34 am

Arsenal - Hleb
      Chelsea - Wright Phillips, Cole
      Scum - Ronaldo

Dont need him. We do.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Re: David Bentley (Blackburn)
      Reply #36: Mar 30, 2008 12:48:37 pm
      Arsenal - Hleb
      Chelsea - Wright Phillips, Cole
      Scum - Ronaldo

Dont need him. We do.

Give me Quaresma any day of the week. Bentley isn't adventerous enough...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #37: Mar 30, 2008 02:08:48 pm
      But Bentley is effective mate, wingers arent all tricks and flicks and Ronaldo has started some fan craze with a winger who can humiliate their opponent. I dont care for tricks and flicks too much atleast the job is done and Bentley will do that.
      JonBassett
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts | -4 
      Reply #38: Mar 31, 2008 10:39:16 pm
      We need an out and out winger to play in the new formation Rafa is using as Kuyt is not technically good enough to take people on and deliver good crosses, having a Bentley, Quaresma or possibly Joaquin.

I would love for us to have Quaresma or Bentley!!!
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #39: Mar 31, 2008 11:30:23 pm
      We need an out and out winger to play in the new formation Rafa is using as Kuyt is not technically good enough to take people on and deliver good crosses, having a Bentley, Quaresma or possibly Joaquin.

I would love for us to have Quaresma or Bentley!!!

Good first post mate, I agree, although I'd take Joaquin over Bentley anyday of the week. ;)
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #40: Apr 01, 2008 12:03:42 am
      Good first post mate, I agree, although I'd take Joaquin over Bentley anyday of the week. ;)

Not Joaquin, no thankyou. He's not really a tough player, lets bad confidence get the better of him. We need a player who's always confident in what he does, Quaresma! He trys all the time, no matter how bad he or Porto are playing!
      Scouse pie
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 10 
      Reply #41: Apr 01, 2008 10:13:33 pm
      Bently has been impressive this season that cannot be doubted. He is also talented and is useful with goals and assist contribution. I think he would certainly be a great squad player who is direct in play. I can see him working well in our formation with maybe Babel (who needs more confidence+ composure but it will come). Last summer there were rumours of Pedersen coming to us but he has not been greatthis season. If bentley can maintain his performance then he would provide interesting competition with Pennant in right midfield, who both coross really well but bentley scores more goals.

He is ambitious and i would not be against his signing but if i was a blackburn fan i would be dissappointed to see him go. He says that in order to play for England in 2010 world cup he has to play at a big club but atm he is the best right midfield for England and Capello is playing him in front of wright phillips etc.
      joemack
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts | 13 
      Reply #42: Apr 02, 2008 01:25:04 am
      How much would Bentley cost? Wouldn't bother me to see a swap, Pennant for Bentley. Always room for quality, we do seem to buy a lot of not quite players don't we!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #43: Apr 02, 2008 03:43:17 am
      I think that Pennant should attract interest from Blackburn would be a good substiute.  Obviously we have to pay on top 7-9m should put us in the picture!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #44: Apr 02, 2008 05:02:14 am
      How much would Bentley cost? Wouldn't bother me to see a swap, Pennant for Bentley. Always room for quality, we do seem to buy a lot of not quite players don't we!

12 million pounds. Including Pennant would probably mean a 6-7 million top up on the deal which is fair IMO. Great improvement in the squad for mine.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #45: Apr 03, 2008 08:24:31 pm
      The thing is that we have players that can play an important part in the champion’s league it’s the premiership that’s the priority.  He has the experience its added assurance, for the right price I really think we should be pushing for this one.  We will probably need two wingers as it seems most likely that both Kewell and Pennant will be gone at the end of the season.  If this is the case then one of the purchases should be a safe and calculated transaction that for me would be Bentley. 

Quick Reply