Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Your Top 5 Penalty Takers

Read 7698 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Your Top 5 Penalty Takers
      Apr 01, 2008 08:47:38 am
      With the quarter finals of the Champions League and hopefully the Semis and Final in Moscow, I started to wonder, if the games came down to Penalties, who would I trust from our Team, with taking an all important penalty.

I started off in a blaze of glory with Stevie G and Fernando, who else of course, but then I really got stuck.

I chose Fernando on his almighty goal scoring ability this season, however I must admit, I don't remember him taking a penalty for us, but from what I read in Don's posts, he used to take the penalties for Athletico.

I can't go past Stevie G...he's been there done that and I just know he'd put it away.

This is where I get stuck.

I would chose Dirk Kuyt, only because he put those 2 away against the Bitters. Still not sure though because he hasn't scored since the Inter game.

Ryan Babel...because he has a ferocious shot on him...all he has to do is it hit sweetly and on target, and I don't think any keeper is going to save one of his bullets.

Finally, I tossed up between Yossi Benayoun and Xabi Alonso. I went for Yossi because he's got that knack of scoring when inside the box, ahead of Xabi only because of that penalty taken in Istanbul...where we were so grateful that his blocked penalty, rebounded for him to stick it in the back of the net.

Hopefully, none of the games come down to the lottery of penalties, but just in case, we need to be prepared. My thoughts are above, what are yours?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Your Top 5 Penalty Takers
      Reply #1: Apr 01, 2008 09:08:57 am
       I would go for Torres,Gerrard,Kuyt.Alonso and would pick Benayoun over Babel only because is older and I do not think the occasion would get to him.But then again if it went to penalties it would depend what players were on the field at the end of extra time.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #2: Apr 01, 2008 09:12:19 am
      Pity we dont have Didi Hamaan and Danny Murphy anymore....

Torres - obiously
      Gerrard - obiously
      Babel - He's got all the right attributes for it, especially when sidefooting a ball. All he's lacking in his game is confidence.
      Yossi - He's turned out to be a reliable goalscorer for use and he has a decent shot on him so why not?
      Alonso - He's got composure. Even though he missed at istanbul to get it back in off the rebound was good.

Next season....

Villa - ;)
      Bentley - ;)
      Rafinha - ;)
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #3: Apr 01, 2008 09:14:07 am
      I think Torres,Gerrard,Alonso,Kuyt probably and probably Babel, but like you said, it depends what players are on the field. I also don't want the matches to go to penalties but if they do, then they do.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4: Apr 01, 2008 09:31:43 am

Yeah, he was something special wasn't he? You just knew that he would convert...just watching him walk up to the spot ...he oozed that German confidence...then he'd do that little fake thing and send the keeper the wrong way. Ice cool, Didi...what a legend.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Apr 01, 2008 09:33:59 am
      I've had enough penalties in my short life to handle. BUT I'd have:

Babel - Looks like a good penalty taker for some reason
      Gerrard - Obviously
      Alonso - Composed character
      Torres - Obvious
      Kuyt - 2 v Everton
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #6: Apr 01, 2008 09:48:43 am
      Gerrard top finisher no question that he would be first choice, then I would have to say Torres being a excellent finisher like he is I'm sure he would be a good choice.  Next would be Alonso he has scored some class goals for the club from distance and from the spot and can handle the pressure, next would be Hyypia who always looks alert in front of goal and would probably slot it in 8/10 times.  Last I would say Riise as again he has scored some important goals for us in the past from the spot too he would belt the ball and knock keeper and ball in the back of the net!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Apr 01, 2008 09:53:18 am
      Surprised nobody mentioned Carra. Anytime Ive seen him take 1 hes buried it. Also if he was fit im pretty sure Agger would put 1 away

If it came to a shoot out id go with this order (no Agger cos hes injured)

1)Alonso
      2)Babel
      3)Carra
      4)Torres
      5)Stevie G

And me back up would be Aurelio
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #8: Apr 01, 2008 10:11:35 am
      Penaltie's,hate them they're a lottery I know they're good drama and maybe the best way of settling a match but I'd rather see a game go on until team puts the ball in the net...
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #9: Apr 01, 2008 10:15:16 am
      I'm just so happy we've got Reina in goal for their penalties... top penalty stopper.

Even rumours here that during Euro2008 if Spain has not used all 3 subs, Aragones will put Reina in for the pens, via a last minute extra time sub of Casillas.

He is THAT GOOD at penalty stopping compared to most other keepers...

Wonder if the refs will make players re-take penalties this season, for either innapropriate run ups or keepers moving forward off their line (a la Dudek...cough).
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10: Apr 01, 2008 11:14:26 am
      With the Spanish contingent and news back in Spain, good of you to let us know whats happening there. Cheers don and totally agree, best keeper at penalties in the WORLD! Cech i feel is a better keeper in a game situation but he was out classed by Pepe in both CL Semi's, class act under pressure.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #11: Apr 01, 2008 11:38:40 am
      Surprised nobody mentioned Carra. Anytime Ive seen him take 1 hes buried it. Also if he was fit im pretty sure Agger would put 1 away

If it came to a shoot out id go with this order (no Agger cos hes injured)

1)Alonso
      2)Babel
      3)Carra
      4)Torres
      5)Stevie G

And me back up would be Aurelio

Gall call for Carra Brian I was about to make the same point! When it comes down to penalties you need to pick your most talent strikers of the ball, but as well you need a couple of guys who have the biggest balls as well! Carra has been there and done that, he has tons of experience, he would definitely be in my five! The only other thing though is that I would put your list more or less in reverse order. We need to start with our best penalty takers, because in a shoot out you can't afford to be playing catch-up; if we left our best until last, chances might be that they don't get to take one at all.

Mine would be:

1. Gerrard
      2.Torres
      3.Alonso
      4. Carra
      5. Babel

Back up would be Masch, if one of them bottled it I'm sure he's take responsibility and step up!  ;)
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #12: Apr 01, 2008 11:54:17 am
      I'm just so happy we've got Reina in goal for their penalties... top penalty stopper.

Even rumours here that during Euro2008 if Spain has not used all 3 subs, Aragones will put Reina in for the pens, via a last minute extra time sub of Casillas.

He is THAT GOOD at penalty stopping compared to most other keepers...

Wonder if the refs will make players re-take penalties this season, for either innapropriate run ups or keepers moving forward off their line (a la Dudek...cough).

Maybe they will. Reina does that too.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Itl7BL7xiTw

Mine would be

Gerrrard - Excellent at them
      Torres - Good at confusing keepers as to what he going to do
      Xabi - Goes for placement before power
      Kuyt - Has netted a few important ones before
      Yossi - Good accuracy think he could beat the keeper with them

No babel or lucas for me due to thier age and how hard it is to cope with if you miss and cause a loss. Even though I think they are both great peanlty takers its tough at that age if you miss a penalty. But then again i suppose if it was the penalty that would win the game i would like Babel to take it as it would give him bags of confidence.
      « Last Edit: Apr 01, 2008 11:59:36 am by lil cisse »
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #13: Apr 01, 2008 01:17:17 pm
      Why is Torres an automatic on everyone's sheets?

he was very average at atletico...with a ~50% conversion rate from penalties...
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #14: Apr 01, 2008 01:30:09 pm
      Yep id go for

Gerrard
      Torres
      Xabi
      'Riise
      Kuyt

Hmm Carra hey?? Does anybody remember the last WC against Portugal in the quarters pretty sure Stevie Carra and Fat F**k all missed.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #15: Apr 01, 2008 02:39:04 pm
      Alonso
      Aurelio
      Gerrard
      Kuyt
      Torres
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #16: Apr 01, 2008 02:42:05 pm
      Torres
      Gerrard
      Kuyt
      Carra
      Mascherano
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #17: Apr 01, 2008 02:44:44 pm
      I think:

Torres
      Kuyt
      Gerrard
      Alonso
      Babel
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #18: Apr 01, 2008 02:57:58 pm
      Why is Torres an automatic on everyone's sheets?

he was very average at atletico...with a ~50% conversion rate from penalties...

I guess its because he's improved tremendously since Athletico Madrid. the Lad is 28 goals in his first season at Anfield. That is a classic.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #19: Apr 01, 2008 04:11:50 pm
      Yep id go for

Gerrard
      Torres
      Xabi
      'Riise
      Kuyt

Hmm Carra hey?? Does anybody remember the last WC against Portugal in the quarters pretty sure Stevie Carra and Fat F**k all missed.
      dont care what he does in any other shirt he always does the biz in red and thats the main thing
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #20: Apr 01, 2008 04:39:07 pm
      Well in the asia tournament shoot out against pompey both Torres and Yossi had theres saved and they were poor attempts too. However i would love to see El Nino take 1 in a competative game as he would probably score it going by the form he is in.

Gerrard - Scores basically everyone
      Babel - Probably got the hardest shot in the team and the keeper would have no chance
      Alonso - Like Gerrard he scores basically everyone
      Kuyt - Gets the ball right into the corners and the keepers have no chance even if they do go the right way
      Torres - Scares the sh*t out of keepers ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #21: Apr 01, 2008 05:18:01 pm
      Yep id go for

Gerrard
      Torres
      Xabi
      'Riise
      Kuyt

Riise missed in the istanbul shoot out, carra scored his pen in world cup but had to re-take it so it would be harder as he would'nt know whether to go the same way or not
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #22: Apr 01, 2008 06:16:55 pm
      Think id go for Torres,Gerrard,Kuyt,Alonso,Yossi but lets hope it doesnt come to this i cant bear to watch at times.

Quick Reply