Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Luka Modric [Gone to Spurs]

Read 7091 times
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Luka Modric [Gone to Spurs]
      Apr 11, 2008 10:21:44 am
      Was a little suprised to see us linked to him but I suppose we have been linked to diego not too long ago so....

Modric happy with Reds talk
      Liverpool and not Spurs head hunt for Croat

Modric: In-demand

Luka Modric admits he is flattered at claims that Liverpool have made a move to sign him.

It was reported in England that Tottenham had made moves to try and land the highly-rated midfielder - who has also attracted attention from Chelsea, Arsenal and Barcelona in recent months.

But the Croat media, says it is not Tottenham, but Liverpool who have made a firm offer for the 22-year-old.
      Modric will almost certainly depart Dinamo Zagreb in the summer and the battle to sign him is firmly on, with Liverpool reported to be heading the queue.
      Dinamo want around £18million for their prized asset, who is rated as one of the most impressive young midfielders in world football.
      At just 22 - Modric is already a lynch-pin of the Croatian national side who comfortably dispatched of England in qualifying for Euro 2008.

Flattered
      Modric has now admitted that he is delighted that Liverpool could be interested in signing him.
      "I don't wish to discuss possible transfers, but if Liverpool really want me, then this is fantastic and I am truly honoured," he told Vecernji list.
      "I watched the Champions League quarter-finals and the way they crushed Arsenal. Only the greatest and the best can play such a match against strong Arsenal

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Fantastic player for his age and I would be delighted to see us sign him. Maybe this is a sign Xabi really could go, Only way I could see us going for Modric is if we sold Xabi and used that money to fund a deal for Modric then Lucas stayed in a more Defensive role until Plessis was promoted to the first team more permanently. Very inetersting this, Love the way he says we crushed arsenal too, seems to have a high opinion of us and he is clearly one of the best youngsters in the world right now.
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2008 03:22:43 pm by JD »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Re: Luka Modric
      Reply #1: Apr 11, 2008 10:24:28 am
      We be a good buy, especially if we are looking to sell the 26 year old Xabi Alonso who is currently under performing. I think if there is any time to sell Alonso for a good price, then this is the season to!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #2: Apr 11, 2008 10:25:56 am
      We be a good buy, especially if we are looking to sell the 26 year old Xabi Alonso who is currently under performing. I think if there is any time to sell Alonso for a good price, then this is the season to!

Seems like he really could go doesnt it Ra Ra.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Re: Luca Modric
      Reply #3: Apr 11, 2008 10:26:08 am
      "I watched the Champions League quarter-finals and the way they crushed Arsenal. Only the greatest and the best can play such a match against strong Arsenal"

I love it....... ;D
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #4: Apr 11, 2008 10:29:57 am

Haha me too, that will have got him into the good books of alot of our fans and rafa too. I really do hope we get him would be great although it would most likely result in xabis departure which i would truly hate to see. Modric is a good player who can hold a midfield together well and helps a midfield to dominate a game which would only benefit us.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #5: Apr 11, 2008 10:35:36 am
      Seems like he really could go doesnt it Ra Ra.

I don't think it does seem to much like he 'really' could go, but seems to me if he is going to go then it's this season. Apparently his girlfriend does't want to stay here, and he'll do best for his family.

I think if we were to sell Alonso, this has to be the season as one more bad season would see his value drop and maybe by then Madrid or Barca wouldn't be interested. I'm not a big fan of selling our good players but I do think Alonso will leave in the near future so now while his value is up the club just have to do the clever option.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Apr 11, 2008 10:40:25 am
      Waiting another season to sell Xabi wont help anyone. He needs to move on and regain his form and selling now would ensure a great return for him. We signed him for 10 million and could see him depart for close to 20, great stuff.

As for Modric,i wouldnt be sad at all. The way he talks of the CL Q/F shows how much we are respected and the word 'crushed' is a slight overstatement but to come from a player like Modric is amazing. Great talent.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #7: Apr 11, 2008 10:48:40 am
      Have we ever signed a player that we were linked with in April time? We were only linked with Torres in June/July, same goes for Babel and Benayoun...

This may be a bit too early to say we'll secure him, as Rafa hasn't signed any players that have been linked with us with a lot of the season to still play for...
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #8: Apr 11, 2008 11:01:14 am
      Have we ever signed a player that we were linked with in April time? We were only linked with Torres in June/July, same goes for Babel and Benayoun...

This may be a bit too early to say we'll secure him, as Rafa hasn't signed any players that have been linked with us with a lot of the season to still play for...

True Ra Ra. But Rafa has said in an interview fairly recently that transfers in the summer are already being discussed with the fat yank. Maybe Modric is high on the list. Qualty player btw.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #9: Apr 11, 2008 11:01:45 am
      Its just rumoured interest and I think rafa is moving for players due to 1.) fending of other teams interest in players and 2.) due to the whole transfer fiasco where hicks and gillette made us miss out on khaladze and the others we were going for.

Plus dont forget rafa has already said he has tied up a few deals so I wouldnt be suprised to see him sorting out a few deals now and trying to get us locked in talks to tie up a few deals.
      « Last Edit: Apr 11, 2008 11:10:11 am by lil cisse »
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #10: Apr 11, 2008 11:08:23 am
      An excellent player.
      But it doesnt necessarily spell the end of Alonso.
      He is mostly a player across the 3, but he'd be able to fill in as one of the two defensive midfielders as well...
      He'd be better than say...Diego or Van der Vaart etc.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #11: Apr 11, 2008 11:11:50 am
      An excellent player.
      But it doesnt necessarily spell the end of Alonso.
      He is mostly a player across the 3, but he'd be able to fill in as one of the two defensive midfielders as well...
      He'd be better than say...Diego or Van der Vaart etc.

Gerrard
      Alonso
      Mascherano
      Lucas
      Modric

looks unlikely atleast one would go imo.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #12: Apr 11, 2008 12:29:35 pm
      The one to go, making most sense, would be Xabi.

Make your mind up:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cWe98NJ2rCY&feature=related

Not a great vid though.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #13: Apr 11, 2008 12:52:39 pm
      Theres some very neat passes in that vid. I know I'm only basing this on a youtube video but I think he'd really suit playing just behind Torres. Using his neat through balls to play El Nino in.

Any who has seen more of him than I have, could you tell me if this is a step forward from Xabi?

I think the question thats on everybodies lips is... how good is he on Football Manager?
      « Last Edit: Apr 11, 2008 09:02:18 pm by paulrobbo »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #14: Apr 12, 2008 12:37:17 am
      He is a snappy little player. Only 22 or something? Of course he'll be expensive but like our two most expensive buys have proved, you pay what you get for...
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #15: Apr 12, 2008 01:04:36 am
      Gerrard
      Alonso
      Mascherano
      Lucas
      Modric

looks unlikely atleast one would go imo.

You're making zero sense.
      Lucas, Mascherano, Alonso (and Plessis) play as the two defensive midfielders...
      WHAT I SAID WAS MODRIC CAN i repeat CAN PLAY AS A DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER IF NEEDED.

Him and Gerrard are more ideally suited to the '3'...
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #16: Apr 12, 2008 01:12:06 am
      Some of you people crack me up.  Seen this in the free Metro newspaper and thought 'Who the F**k is this?'.

I come on here and I read ' Will be a good buy? ' and 'Let's sell Alonso and get some good money for him'.

F***ing crackers the lot of you.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #17: Apr 12, 2008 01:45:29 am
      Some of you people crack me up.  Seen this in the free Metro newspaper and thought 'Who the F**k is this?'.

I come on here and I read ' Will be a good buy? ' and 'Let's sell Alonso and get some good money for him'.

Maybe because we have more of a chance winning something with Luka Modric in our team than having Xabi Alonso in our team. If you never heard of Luka Modric, then wait till Euro 2008 and you'll see him shine!
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #18: Apr 12, 2008 01:58:35 am
      And as a Liverpool fan you should know all about completely disregarding performances in major tournaments.

El Hadji Diouf anyone?  F**k it - let's go out and buy Roger Milla.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #19: Apr 12, 2008 04:01:09 am
      You're making zero sense.
      Lucas, Mascherano, Alonso (and Plessis) play as the two defensive midfielders...
      WHAT I SAID WAS MODRIC CAN I repeat CAN PLAY AS A DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER IF NEEDED.

Him and Gerrard are more ideally suited to the '3'...

What are you putting capitals for because i dont agree with you on something.

and i said its unlinkely we will keep that many centre mids... I do not care if its attcking mid or defensive they are all stil centre mids and even if he can i dont care im tired of thinking oh he CAN play out of position i dont want him to ever unless every other DM at the club who is good enough to play there is injured. Just because he CAN play there doesnt mean it doesnt necessarily spell the end for alonso as if we bought modric it more likely than not would spell the end of his anfield career due to the amount of CM's.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #20: Apr 12, 2008 04:02:49 am
      And as a Liverpool fan you should know all about completely disregarding performances in major tournaments.

El Hadji Diouf anyone?  F**k it - let's go out and buy Roger Milla.

And how do you know we saw him playing in an international tournament. He's a great and well known player. Just because some of us think we should buy him to bolster the attack and interest in him suggests alonso may leave doesnt mean any of us are 'crackers' as you say.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #21: Apr 12, 2008 04:06:42 am

I see where your coming from but Modric is tipped to be the next big thing. Future Wolrd Player of the Year is being put on his shoulders. Saw him play for Croatia against Italy and England and i was impressed. Short vid there vs Basel shows his ability too.
      JonBassett
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts | -4 
      Reply #22: Apr 12, 2008 07:35:14 pm
      He gets fouled an awful lot in that video, we should sign the cardiff city youngster Aaron Ramsey he's quality :D
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #23: Apr 12, 2008 07:54:29 pm
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7vgjE0NfF8

Theres a better video i think, shows some good clips.. mind you i did have to watch it on mute  :laugh:
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #24: Apr 12, 2008 08:45:37 pm
      Yeah I like the music from that clip, also the good football :P
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #25: Apr 13, 2008 07:16:23 am
      Croatia's Dynamo Zagreb midfielder Luka Modric, 22, is hoping for a summer move to Liverpool. (Times)

;D This is good news.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #26: Apr 13, 2008 10:00:45 am

I'll paraphrase.

'I dont know who this is, but because I haven't heard of him, he must be bad."

GTFO.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #27: Apr 14, 2008 01:51:22 am
      Modric is pure class Iwould love to see him here. A little concerned about his stature for the premier league he is not a big man by any measure but still quality. Koolkidda I am sorry bit why would us discussing a possible transfer be "crackers"? Get your head out of ur ass son, this is an open forum where democratic discussion is encouraged.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #28: Apr 14, 2008 05:06:41 am
      Modric is pure class Iwould love to see him here. A little concerned about his stature for the premier league he is not a big man by any measure but still quality.

Thats my worry too mate. Time in the gym would do him good although some people of small stature know how to cope somehow, hope he can if he signs.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #29: Apr 14, 2008 05:24:45 am
      IMO, he'll be fine.
      I've talked to some Croatian friends who watch the league, and they say that players can get away with nigh murder in the Croatian league without fouling...as well as the Bosnian league, where Modric played previously.
      I think he'd be okay.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #30: Apr 14, 2008 01:37:22 pm
      U-Borat mate being from that region myself and a fan of Dinamo the pace and strenght the Croatian league is played at is appaling compared to any of the top 5 leagues. That is why Croatia for a while has struggled to market its players to the top 5 leagues only a handful do slip through each year. The Dinamo team of last season and this season has been an exception. They have sold Eduardo (Arse) Corluka (Man City) Pokrivac (Monaco) and also have Modric and Mandukic too lined up for  big clubs next season.

He does seem to cope well against bigger players in the middle of the park he proved this against England going up against Gerrard, Parker and Lampard in the 2 games. I am a bit scared though of another butcher in the form of Taylor from Birmingham taking his leg off.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #31: Apr 15, 2008 05:23:41 am
      ^^Don't forget Kranjcar?

But as I said, I think he'd do well physically in our league.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #32: Apr 15, 2008 02:33:17 pm
      Yes dont get me wrong he is class and i would much rather see him then Johnson from Man Ciy if we are adding centre mids.

Also Kranjcar was a product of Dinamo but was sold to Pompey from Hajduk Split.  ;)
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #33: Apr 16, 2008 11:14:48 am
      Based on the vid, (yeap, never watched him before) he looks brilliant. But then again videos can make Fernando Morientes looked like he scored 100 goals for Liverpool.

Notice Rafa's latest signings are more flair-oriented players (Torres, Benayoun, Babel). And makes the team only better, so why not Modric.

IF Xabi leaves, we must be compensated with someone as worthy, if not better.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #34: Apr 17, 2008 05:00:46 am
      Has to be better as there is no point in change for the sake of change. Modric is better and hopefully in a red shirt, OUR red shirt ;D
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #35: Apr 22, 2008 01:43:38 am
      Latest reports say that some reporters asked Igor Biscan about his time at Liverpool (in reparte to the Modric rumours), and Igor said that Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world,that everyone plays with their heart when they wear the red shirt,that the fans are the best in the world and that it's a big honor even to be considered as a possible Liverpool player.

Good stuff!!!

Also, the chief executive for Dinamo said that Modric is DEFINITELY moving to England in the summer...Let's see...you can cut Manu out of the equation considering the wealth in midfield they have...chelsea are always a possibility with the wads of cash to throw out...man city have links with dinamo through corluka...so do arsenal through eduardo...

Modric would be, IMO the best signing possible. I had thought him Arse/Chelsea/Barca bound for sure before the latest rumours came up, and boy am I glad they did.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #36: Apr 22, 2008 03:36:05 am
      Yes from what I have read so far he is likely to sign for either us or the Spurs. We are the front runners alongside with the Spurs although Arsenal and Man City are in the wings. But knowing the greedy F**k that Mamic is he will take who ever will give him more.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #37: Apr 23, 2008 05:17:31 pm
      Sorry hot of the press apparently the Mamic brothers (scum) also his managers have just returned from Newcastle after "positivie talks" witk Keegan and members of the Newcastle board.

Rafa please dont miss out on this opportunity.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #38: Apr 24, 2008 02:56:30 am
      Highly doubt he'd sign for Newcastle.

But the Bilic guy, the coach, came up with a hilarious quote.

Something like....
      Newcastle are a big team in England behind the big 5, ( Arsenal, Liverpool, Manu, Everton and Mancity)....and not far behind Villa and CHELSEA.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #39: Apr 24, 2008 04:42:44 am
      Apparently negotiations with Newcatle have stalled because they could not agree personal terms for the player. If the Mamic mafia are happy with the 12 mill for his transfer I think we should definetly jump at this opportunity with both hands.

To translate Bilic's quote; " Newcastle are a big English club and are not far off from the top 5 (Arsenal Manchester, Liverpool, Chelsea and Everton).
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #40: Apr 24, 2008 10:57:57 am
      I just read all the newcastle stuff in the papers, if its true and they get him for 12 million i will be angry beyond belief. He pretty said liverpool come and buy me and if we let him go for that little we are crazy.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #41: Apr 24, 2008 12:45:00 pm
      TBH though he does sound like a one tournament wonder with all being said about his talent is his Euro qualifying campaign. Also, if he is so crash hot then why Newcastle? Barca, Inter, Arsenal, Tottenham and ourselves are some of the clubs chasing him so Newcastle is his destination? Bit of an anti climax if you ask me.

I honestly thought he was great from the vids but once Newcastle got in the prime position and all his accolades were based on the Euro's i became a bit suspect of him. See how he fairs at the barcodes.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #42: Apr 24, 2008 12:49:09 pm
      Where the hell does newcastle get money like that from?
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #43: Apr 24, 2008 12:50:11 pm
      Why the F**k do Newcastle always target who we are after?

They always fail any way.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #44: Apr 24, 2008 01:12:05 pm
      Croucinho let me paint a clearer picture for you. This lad came from  a war torn country as a refugee and managed to push him self in to the top Croatian team through pure talent in a country marred by corruption and dirty politics. Given the way that he was bullied into signing a 9 year contract by the then club president and the piss poor wages he is on now 130,000 euros a YEAR he is more than desperate to leave all that behind. He was also fu**ed around in the January transfer window by his managers they were seconds away from selling him to Chelsea first then Man City. But the greedy managers were not satisfied with the price and he never had any say in this at all.

There was never an official approach from Barcelona Luka actually only stated that his childhood dream was to play for Barcelona and the media made a meal of it. He did state that he was honoured to be linked to a club like us and was more than eager to sign. The barcodes have looked more determined so far and if we lose him we  ny have ourselves to blame.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #45: Apr 24, 2008 01:18:55 pm
      Are Newcaslte close to agreeing terms with him? I hope not, this is a player we should not ignore.

If so it doesn't matter too much. I much rather prefare Maxi Rodgriguez anyway.
      « Last Edit: Apr 24, 2008 01:22:56 pm by Ra Ra Rafa »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #46: Apr 24, 2008 01:32:27 pm
      All reports saying its nearly done and dusted. Ah well, Villa might be better anyway..... ;)
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #47: Apr 24, 2008 01:40:02 pm
      They'll be after David Villa next.

They're like Man City.  Slimeballs that check everyone elses targets.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #48: Apr 24, 2008 01:49:27 pm
      Funny thing is, they thing big money will tempt them. What will Luka Modric achieve at Newcastle?!?! If Luka goes there then he is an idiot too.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #49: Apr 24, 2008 01:57:17 pm
      Funny thing is, they thing big money will tempt them. What will Luka Modric achieve at Newcastle?!?! If Luka goes there then he is an idiot too.

Newcastle have a lot of money because of their owner and their big fan base. However they'll never achive what they want to achive. Maybe it's a wee bit cold all the way up Newcastle...
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #50: Apr 24, 2008 01:59:22 pm
      Reason it seems he's headed there is because no-one else can be arsed to make some progress in a deal for him GRRR. Hate seeing good players going to newcastle what will it do for his career.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #51: Apr 24, 2008 05:17:46 pm
      I haven't seen the guy play, but I've been reading back through everyone's posts and he sounds like an excellent prospect, a good addition to the team. My only problem is that from what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) he is a central midfielder who can play either an attacking or holding role if needs be.

If we had money to fling around I'd want to snap him up straight away, but as that isn't necessarily going to be the case this summer then IMO we'd be better off filling the positions where we have more immediate need of talent: LB, RB and wingers, than the centre of midfield where we already have a good mix of experience and youthful prospect.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #52: Apr 25, 2008 10:56:28 am
      The reason he is going up there is becasue he is sick of where he is now and is tired of being jerked around by his managers.

Ayrton you also make a good point.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #53: Apr 25, 2008 12:32:13 pm
      Don't mind.

If he signs for Newcastle, isn't a player we should be after anyway, such limited vision.

I highly doubt he would though...most likely this is a move by his managers/Dinamo to incite more bids for Modric.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #54: Apr 26, 2008 02:25:08 am
      Gutted, and I'm proven wrong.

Modric's signed on with the Spurs, somewhere in the vicinity of 18-20 million pound transfer fee.

Looks like we were simply outpriced.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #55: Apr 26, 2008 08:55:28 am
      15.8 million pounds (20 million Euro's)

Lets see how he goes, honestly i dont see the point of signing him anyway. Will he oust Gerrard, Masch and Xabi? Dont think so. If he is sh*t hot then we can complain but i honestly dont think that will happen.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #56: Apr 26, 2008 09:26:55 am
      F***ing gutted!

I think he will be in the top 10 midfielders next season.

We should close this thread now.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #57: Apr 26, 2008 10:53:15 am
      15.8 million pounds (20 million Euro's)

Lets see how he goes, honestly I dont see the point of signing him anyway. Will he oust Gerrard, Masch and Xabi? Dont think so. If he is sh*t hot then we can complain but I honestly dont think that will happen.

He was never slated to play as a central midfielder...Dinamo play a 4-2-3-1 and he plays where Babel does for us...but has the ability to play where Kuyt does for us..which is whom I'd have assumed he would have replaced.

Any chance of pulling a Sissoko?
      PLEASE!!!!!!!!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #58: Apr 26, 2008 11:31:55 am
      Damn spurs. Oh well we better get someone better than him to make up for it.
      sandsy85
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #59: Apr 26, 2008 12:57:40 pm
      looks like rafa is doing his homework and looking to bring in great players hopefully he lands us luka and we can challenge 4 premier league next season COME ON YOU REDS
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #60: Apr 26, 2008 01:11:44 pm
      sandsy, if you shift your attention upwards then you'll see Luka signed for Tottenham. 15.8 million pounds or 20 million euro's, take your pick.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #61: Apr 26, 2008 03:22:17 pm
      And...

Spurs sign Croatian star Modric

Tottenham have won the race to sign Croatia midfielder Luka Modric for a fee believed to be £15.8m.

The Carling Cup winners have agreed terms with the in-demand 22-year-old, fending off interest from Premier League rivals Newcastle.

The playmaker will leave Dinamo Zagreb this summer subject to passing a medical and obtaining a work permit.

"I'm happy to be joining such a big club. It will be a real pleasure to play in the English league," he said.

"It is the best in Europe, with three English clubs in the semi-finals of the Champions League."

Dinamo Zagreb sporting director Zoran Mamic added: "We're very happy. Luka is leaving for an environment where he's going to progress, while Dinamo showed that we know how to do good deals."

On Tuesday, Modric was reported to have been on Tyneside to discuss a move to Kevin Keegan's Newcastle and visit the club's training ground.

Recent reports had also linked him with Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal.

The signing of Modric is a major coup for Spurs manager Juande Ramos and the Tottenham hierarchy, who needed to make a statement of intent with the team falling away badly after their Wembley triumph against Chelsea in February.

Spurs' season has fizzled out disappointingly with just a single win in their last seven league games, and a swingeing overhaul of the squad was predicted for this summer, but the signing of Modric has comes as a major surprise.

After making his name in the Bosnian league as a teenager, Modric moved to Croatian club Inter Zapresic before joining Dinamo in 2005.

He made his debut for Croatia a year later and has gone on to win more than 20 caps for Slaven Bilic's side - including the home and away victories over England that cost them their place at Euro 2008.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7368463.stm

Topic locked.

Quick Reply