Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Chelsea v Liverpool Champions League Semi-Final 2nd Leg Pre-Match Thread

Read 8678 times
      MsGerrard
      Chelsea v Liverpool Champions League Semi-Final 2nd Leg Pre-Match Thread
      Apr 29, 2008 10:38:47 am
      RAFA ON CHELSEA, GRANT AND TROPHIES

Paul Hassall 29 April 2008 

Rafael Benitez is confident his side can break their Stamford Bridge hoodoo and book a place in the Champions League final in Moscow. Here's what Benitez told reporters in full at Melwood this morning. 

Rafa, how are you looking squad wise?

The team is ready. We are focused, concentrated and have confidence.

Have you had the better preparation out of the two sides for this match?  

I think that we were prepared. Now we have half-time in the tie and we will be prepared for Wednesday.

Do you feel Chelsea's win over Manchester United at the weekend mayhave taken something out of them?

It was a good game between two good teams and I thought Chelsea played really well in the first-half. In the second-half they had some problems but I think it is a different game in a different competition with different teams.

Do you think Chelsea have the bottle to win both the Champions League and the Barclays Premier League?

It could be difficult for them. They have had four days between the last game and Wednesday so I think they will have enough time to prepare for this game and after that they can be focused because they have a good squad.

Do you feel they have the nerve though, to effectively go on a win both competitions and effectively play for Avram Grant's job?

I always say the same, that I think he is doing a good job. He is in a very good position in the league and in the Champions League so I think he is doing a good job and I think he is a person with experience.

Do you think Chelsea were lucky in the first-leg against you?    

I think Chelsea will analysing everything and I think they will try to take advantage of the away goal.

The late goal was obviously a blow. Did you just put it down to a case of bad luck?

Yes, sometimes these things happen, so you must just look towards the next game. You know the result so you must try to prepare the next game properly, We know we need to score so we will try to score.

You must also be aware that Liverpool have yet to score at Stamford Bridge under yourself...

Yes but this is something we can change tomorrow.

Is there any cause for concern from that statistic?  

Not really. I don't know how many games they are without losing, so when you talk about Chelsea over the past four or five years, they are a team that are progressing and improving so I think it is normal. The majority of teams have problems there.

So you are confident your team can go there and do what so many others have failed to do - and win?

I remember the last game at Stamford Bridge when we had chances and I think that we were the better team, but, sometimes you cannot reflect these things if you do not score.

Does the fact that it is the Champions League, a completion you do well in, make a difference too?    

Yes, it's another competition totally different. The mentality, the atmosphere, the time of kick-off - everything will be different.

How will your season be judged if you don't get through?

I'm not really worried about how the season will be judged. It is more about how can we progress in this competition and can we feel happy with ourselves after the game. I think it is important to know we have guaranteed fourth position. That has been the key over the past few years and now we must try to go to the final.

Will you only see it as a success if you make it to the final?

Success for us is to win trophies. But when you cannot, you must try to do the right things, it is as simple as that.

What about the officials...You had a bit to say after the first leg didn't you?

You have seen the record of this referee...he has officiated six games and five times the local team has won, with only one away team winning - Valencia against Chelsea. That is very curious.

So you are not concerned this referee could have a similar impact on the second leg?

I think that the referee has experience and he knows that if he is strong it will be okay.

Is it a worry for you though, given that you felt the officials had an influence on the first leg?

In the first one the referee wasn't really good in any decision but hopefully it will be different now.

Do you feel you are due a break after what happened in the last few seconds of the first-leg?

I was really disappointed at the end. But after watching the game I was really pleased with the performance of my team, so I was very happy with the work rate of the players and I felt that we played well at times. I was very happy with the performance of the team.

So do you feel Chelsea were lucky and that hope it evens itself out in the second leg?

Yes, clearly they were lucky because Petr Cech made two or three saves, so they were lucky, yes,

Has anyone given you any selection problems after the win over Birmingham at the weekend?

Yes. Yesterday we were training and practising and thinking about ideas, but we still have another session to come. At the end of that I will see how they are and after that we will start talking about the team for Chelsea.

And finally, are you confident of reaching the final?

Yes.

************************************************************************************

Rafa sounding very confident there, I've heard on the radio this morning that the ref for tomorrow is an Italian, hope he's not an Inter Milan fan :o, we definitely require a strong referee to deal with dogbreath's diving and Terry's fouls on Torres.

Wonder if there will be a place for Pennant in the team?

Getting very pumped up for this game already I am, will be interesting to see tonight's result........Come on Barca !!

LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB - THE GREATEST TEAM IN THE WORLD - WE ARE ON OUR WAY TO MOSCOW

:kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :aaliverpoolwz0: :aaliverpool2xt1: :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :aaliverpoolwz0: :aaliverpool2xt1:
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Chelsea v Liverpool Champions League Semi-Final 2nd Leg Pre-Match Thread
      Reply #1: Apr 29, 2008 10:58:40 am
      Good piece that and nice to hear everyone is training well so we may be able to change the dynamics of tomorrow's team to hit em hard. 
      I'll go for 1-1 then a dramatic shoot out...........

and a ticket to Moscow please :D
      eggsterlfc
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #2: Apr 29, 2008 11:04:25 am
      i think it will be 1-0 to liverpool and then were on or way to moscow com on liverpool
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: Apr 29, 2008 11:06:36 am
      Well a plus with the Ref is that Italy sees plenty of diving. Depending on his mood, we could see a well refereed match and here's hoping.

As for the game, Rafa has every right to be confident. We have proved time and time again that we arent to be written off no matter what the circumstances are. Rafa has seen alot this season and to still be in with a shot of the CL is something to be proud of. He will make sure the players give it their all and a result comes our way.

Hope we play a 4-3-1-2 this time, i feel Crouch and Pennant could be key in this game but Crouchy to start and Jermaine on as Babel's sub in the 60th.

Reina

Carragher       Hyypia         Skrtel       Arbeloa

Kuyt          Mascherano        Babel

Gerrard

Crouch         Torres

Itandje Riise Alonso Pennant Voronin Benayoun Lucas
      MsGerrard
      Reply #4: Apr 29, 2008 11:09:03 am
      Good piece that and nice to hear everyone is training well so we may be able to change the dynamics of tomorrow's team to hit em hard. 
      I'll go for 1-1 then a dramatic shoot out...........

and a ticket to Moscow please :D

I have to agree with you AJ, I think it will be 1-1 as well, these teams are so close, to close to call in my opinion.
      Extra time and then penalties on the cards I think, I hope not  :( but I can see that happening.
      Will the heart hold out again :o

I hope I'm wrong and we win, just the one goal will do please boys ;)
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #5: Apr 29, 2008 11:17:37 am
      I could see 1-1 at the end of 90min, and them sneaking a goal in the 119th which I hope doesnt happen, but I could also see it going 1-0 to us, or 4-3 in penalties to us, ( Gerrard, Torres, Alonso and Carra) and Pepe saves Drogba and someone else's penalty
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #6: Apr 29, 2008 11:22:11 am
      Well a plus with the Ref is that Italy sees plenty of diving. Depending on his mood, we could see a well refereed match and here's hoping.

As for the game, Rafa has every right to be confident. We have proved time and time again that we arent to be written off no matter what the circumstances are. Rafa has seen alot this season and to still be in with a shot of the CL is something to be proud of. He will make sure the players give it their all and a result comes our way.

Hope we play a 4-3-1-2 this time, I feel Crouch and Pennant could be key in this game but Crouchy to start and Jermaine on as Babel's sub in the 60th.

Reina

Carragher       Hyypia         Skrtel       Arbeloa

Gerrard

Crouch         Torres

I think we'd be a much more effective unit if we had Carra in the middle with Hyypia and Finnan on the right.  Also I can't see how Pennant would perform on the left ???
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: Apr 29, 2008 11:38:14 am
      I think we'd be a much more effective unit if we had Carra in the middle with Hyypia and Finnan on the right.  Also I can't see how Pennant would perform on the left ???

Should have explained it.

I think JP is more effective cutting in rather than sticking to his wing, he can do what Ryan does and cut inside alot and take on defenders. Might not be the time to experiment if he can but just an idea.

As for the back 4. Finnan wont do the job IMO. Martin deserves a spot at the back and we need solid wingbacks for the match. We have played with it plenty of times and its worked so i dont see the harm.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #8: Apr 29, 2008 11:57:36 am
      I know we have played that formation before with Carra on the right and he's not had that much of a problem, however if we had two strong CB's to start and then bring Skrtel on later in the game if we are 1 goal up he can help maintain that and then we can maybe take off our RB and put Carra there to see the game out. 

Start strong and create width, end strong and maintain position.

Oh yea and as for the Pennant thing I agree this is NOT the game in which to experiment, maybe start with Kuyt and change him for Pennant after 60 mins.
      « Last Edit: Apr 29, 2008 12:01:07 pm by AJ »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #9: Apr 29, 2008 12:05:57 pm

Hope we play a 4-3-1-2 this time, I feel Crouch and Pennant could be key in this game but Crouchy to start and Jermaine on as Babel's sub in the 60th.

Reina

Gerrard

Crouch         Torres

I knew you wouldn't let me down.

Right my turn:

-----------Reina
      --Finnan Carra Skrtel Riise
      Pennant Gerrard Masch Babel
      --------Torres Crouch

We must go for it, so 442 is the formation we need in my opinion!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #10: Apr 29, 2008 12:10:16 pm

Right my turn:

-----------Reina
      --------Torres Crouch

That could well be the match winning tactic, no one expects us to go for the basic 4-4-2 in the CL these days and a team to that effect could overpower Chelsea the two strikers will pay off too as long as Torres ups his game from last week!
      garfield369
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      • captain marvel will never ever walk alone
      Reply #11: Apr 29, 2008 12:29:57 pm
      442 is the way no doubt but how does this look..

Reina
        Carra Masch Skrtel Riise
      Kyut Pennant Gerrard Babel
             Torres Crouch

just till we get the first goal....
      LIVERPOOL ROCK BIRDS
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #12: Apr 29, 2008 01:05:45 pm
      LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB NEVER SAY DIE
      lets do what we do well and take them out take them down IN THERE OWN BACK YARD!!!!!
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #13: Apr 29, 2008 01:10:02 pm
      Let knowbody labour under any illusion this is going to be a very difficult game!
      Especially when Mr.Riise has made it doubly hard for us.
      But never mind I'm still very confident that we will persevere!

IRWT
      COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #14: Apr 29, 2008 01:11:48 pm

Right my turn:

-----------Reina
      --------Torres Crouch

Big mistake, no Alonso??
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #15: Apr 29, 2008 01:16:12 pm
      I don't care what system Rafa uses...we just have to score...and we have to score first...

2-1 to us...2 goals for Torres...

YNWA REDS!!!!
      Australian LFC fan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #16: Apr 29, 2008 01:36:02 pm

Reina

Gerrard

Crouch         Torres

I dout rafa would start Xabi on the bench, especially seen as he played so good against Chelsea last week
      « Last Edit: Apr 29, 2008 01:39:05 pm by Australian LFC fan »
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #17: Apr 29, 2008 01:52:05 pm
      Just saw this on .TV
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _________

If you're travelling to Stamford Bridge for Wednesday night's game then you are advised to take note of the following information we have received from Chelsea FC. 
      Please arrive early at the stadium. This is due to a strict searching operation and it will not be relaxed for supporters arriving late at the stadium.

Large bags or holdalls will not be permitted into the stadium under any circumstances. These items should be left at the Security Suite prior to arrival at the turnstiles.

Excessively large flags or banners will not be permitted.
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ___________________

Anyone else think that is a joke, saw a video on youtube of a lad of about 6 years old having his flag his dad prob spent about a tenner on and the steward breaking the stick of it and telling him, he could not take it with him.

AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #18: Apr 29, 2008 02:01:58 pm
      Just saw this on .TV
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _________

If you're travelling to Stamford Bridge for Wednesday night's game then you are advised to take note of the following information we have received from Chelsea FC. 
      Please arrive early at the stadium. This is due to a strict searching operation and it will not be relaxed for supporters arriving late at the stadium.

Large bags or holdalls will not be permitted into the stadium under any circumstances. These items should be left at the Security Suite prior to arrival at the turnstiles.

Excessively large flags or banners will not be permitted.
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ___________________

Anyone else think that is a joke, saw a video on youtube of a lad of about 6 years old having his flag his dad prob spent about a tenner on and the steward breaking the stick of it and telling him, he could not take it with him.

Psychological advantage maybe? they think they can rob the passion from us?.................. YEAH RIGHT!!

Speaking of psychology

Quote from: BBC
      Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard has admitted Chelsea are favourites in their Champions League semi-final
      The sides meet at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday in the return leg following last week's 1-1 draw at Anfield.

Gerrard said: "I'll be realistic and say the advantage lies with Chelsea. They're a very good team and have been very strong at home for a long time.

"But we have shown over the last few years that we are a very good team away from home in Europe."

Liverpool have failed to score away to Chelsea in eight games under manager Rafael Benitez.

But Gerrard added: "We really feel that we are as good as Chelsea, if not better than them. We have certainly been the better team when we've played them this season."

John Arne Riise's own goal in the dying stages of the first leg saw the game swing dramatically in Chelsea's favour.

Avram Grant's side, who have not lost at home in 66 league and cup matches, know a score draw will be enough to put them through to the Champions League final for the first time in the club's history.

But Reds boss Benitez feels that Chelsea's previous exits at the semi-final stage may go against them.

They have lost to Liverpool at the final four stage in two of the last three seasons and Benitez said: "I think they want to win clearly and all their supporters will push and try to support the team.

"The players know it's an important game for them - three years to the final, they will be a little bit under pressure."

But Chelsea boss Grant is confident his side will rise to the occasion as they play their fourth Champions League semi-final in five years.

He said: "If you come to this stage and are not optimistic, you do not need to be in sports. You need to be very optimistic from game to game and also during the game."
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      Reply #19: Apr 29, 2008 02:07:26 pm
      know a score draw will be enough to put them through to the Champions League final for the first time in the club's history.

Correct me if am wrong, but i think that if the game ends up 2-2 we go through? When Arsenal scored their 2nd they were on their way through?
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #20: Apr 29, 2008 02:10:25 pm
      1-1 and its penalties I believe, any other result which involves us scoring thats not a loss and we're through.

Then again if it goes to penalties then we'll probabally win anyway. ;)
      « Last Edit: Apr 29, 2008 02:20:17 pm by Venom-C »
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #21: Apr 29, 2008 02:14:35 pm
      Correct me if am wrong, but I think that if the game ends up 2-2 we go through? When Arsenal scored their 2nd they were on their way through?

Correct it goes by the greater away goal count so 3-3 aggregate would do it for us having scored the 2 at Trampford Bridge.
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      Reply #22: Apr 29, 2008 02:17:04 pm
      Typical journo's man, canny even get the rules into their heads

Quick Reply