Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

The circling speculation over Xabi Alonso

Read 50351 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Breaking news: Xabi signs pre-contract Real Madrid
      Reply #46: May 11, 2008 03:58:56 pm
      Ra Ra can you provide some counter argument with evidence that Lucas can fill the gap if we were to lose Xabi?

Well Lucas was chosen in place of Alonso for quite a few games this season and played there when he had a broken foot so surely that is enough evidence but like i said its probably just a rumour ;)
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #47: May 11, 2008 04:02:53 pm
      Yea fair play mate as long as you stick an IMO in the comment somewhere one will not mistaken you for a retired football critic.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #48: May 11, 2008 04:05:36 pm
      Yea fair play mate as long as you stick an IMO in the comment somewhere one will not mistaken you for a retired football critic.

The scary thing is that Andy Gray and Craig Foster fill into that category....watch out Ra Ra!

:D :D
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #49: May 11, 2008 04:07:57 pm
      De La Red (Getafe, loanded out by Real Madrid, just bought back) is one hell of a decent player.

I couldn't think of a better name for a Liverpool FC player! ;D
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #50: May 11, 2008 04:08:04 pm
      Me too... I for one wouldn't swap him for Gareth Barry... no way.

I had have heard rumours locally, here in Madrid, for months that Xabi's missus badly WANTED a move... you just never know do you?

Footballers wives.  Tell you F***ing what.  They influence everything.

"The Baby should be raised in Madrid, not in Liverpool, otherwise I'll throw a fit."  Now I see where Roy Keane is coming from.

He's not in the 16 today, if that means anything...

Hmm... Listen out for what Rafa says.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #51: May 11, 2008 04:12:47 pm
      Yea footballers wives my ass she should remember who brings the paycheck. Besides I dont see the reason why the kind needs to be relocated until it is 3 or 4.
      yorkie18
      • Forum David Johnson

• 236 posts |
      Reply #52: May 11, 2008 04:17:47 pm
      Is Alonso in the squad or today's game?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #53: May 11, 2008 04:25:18 pm
      Is Alonso in the squad or today's game?

No he isn't
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #54: May 11, 2008 05:18:21 pm
      We didn't, we missed Daniel Agger. We have been as strong as ever in the central midfield throughout the season, it was the defense that was shakey until we signed Skrtel in January.

We missed Agger, sure. Lots.

But our poor spell coincided with Pako leaving, Hicks sh*t stirring, and the loss of Xabi and Agger to injury.

I just don't see how you can be so sure that we didn't miss him, seeing as we've done well this season when he's been fit and played. I think it's very myopic, frankly. You cannot separate our poor spell from Xabi being absent.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #55: May 11, 2008 05:30:06 pm

But our poor spell coincided with Pako leaving, Hicks sh*t stirring, and the loss of Xabi and Agger to injury.

Also the international friendlies in which we had players come back injured
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #56: May 11, 2008 05:33:23 pm
      Also the international friendlies in which we had players come back injured

Imagine how many goals Fernando would have stuck away if he was not out for two spells through injuries this season...? (2 months out?)

Mind boggles...
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #57: May 11, 2008 06:07:30 pm
      i personaly dont see what xabi gives us especially in the big domestic games!dont get me wrong hes a good player but hes not world class.maybe he would be in italy ore spain where the games are much slower!
      we need money to strengthen in attack & anything upwards of 15mil would be acceptable for me,i dont see madri paying 20 mil for him!
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #58: May 11, 2008 06:21:00 pm
      I personaly dont see what xabi gives us especially in the big domestic games!

For two years running he was in the top 5 for the most tackles made in the Prem, and also in the top 5 passers.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #59: May 11, 2008 06:53:43 pm
      Rafa has just basically said that alonso was left out of today because if injuries- rafa loves alonso, he wont let him go! btw he also said that riise, pennant and crouch were left out because they wanted to see other players (voronin and insua)- i really can see them 3 going during the summer
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #60: May 11, 2008 08:15:38 pm
      Whatever's going on with Xabi and Madrid is now public domain and no one is doing anything to quash it as a rumour, I know Xabi hasn't had a good season with his foot injury ruining most of it but these are the players we need to keep unless Raffa has someone to bring in equally as good we shall miss him. Thanks for some great moments Xabi and good luck to you and yours.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #61: May 11, 2008 11:04:42 pm
      Sorry to make a reference to a recent post but Lucas hasn't showed me sh*t this season.. some guys on here speak of him as the finished article and others constantly bang on about his "potential"... I for one haven't been impressed in the slightest. Infact the lasting impression i get after watching him play isn't pin point passing or intelligent play, i just remember him getting caught in possession, disappearing in games and getting pushed of the ball ALL THE TIME.. Replace Xabi wit Lucas (at his current level) = Joke
      Replace Xabi with Barry = Not impressed either...

I don't want to see Alonso go but if he has to then at least replace him with quality.
      I haven't made my mind up about Lucas yet i just hate the way some people prematurely "big him up" before we've had a proper look at him.. He's nowhere near in Xabi's league yet..
      liverpoolfan1970
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #62: May 11, 2008 11:06:28 pm
      I'd hate to see Xabi go.  Just because this season wasn't his best doesn't mean he should leave.  He was banged up for about what, half the season?  It's hard to expect him to perform up to his usual standards when he is out for that much of the season.  I wish him the best if he is leaving, and he will be missed.

IN RAFA WE TRUST
      YNWA
       8)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #63: May 11, 2008 11:45:50 pm
      I think it has been on the cards for a while that Alonso would leave us after this season.I presume that the clubs have already agreed a fee enabling Alonso to sign a pre contract deal which will become effective when the transfer window opens.According to my records (could be wrong ) he has only started in 14 league games this season so we are not too badly off in midfield.Dont forget we also got rid of Sissoko this season . If he goes we will wish him well unless we draw Real Madrid in the Champions Cup next seasonand then we hope he can do nothing right.
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #64: May 12, 2008 12:12:53 am
      Sorry to make a reference to a recent post but Lucas hasn't showed me sh*t this season.. some guys on here speak of him as the finished article and others constantly bang on about his "potential"... I for one haven't been impressed in the slightest. Infact the lasting impression I get after watching him play isn't pin point passing or intelligent play, I just remember him getting caught in possession, disappearing in games and getting pushed of the ball ALL THE TIME.. Replace Xabi wit Lucas (at his current level) = Joke
      Replace Xabi with Barry = Not impressed either...

I don't want to see Alonso go but if he has to then at least replace him with quality.
      I haven't made my mind up about Lucas yet I just hate the way some people prematurely "big him up" before we've had a proper look at him.. He's nowhere near in Xabi's league yet..
      Wow, couldn't have put it better myself. I'm no pro, but looking for Lucas finished article or no to impress over the next few years will be very much like expecting Sonia to have another No.1 hit record; and for those of you who can't remember who I'm talking about, well thats exactly my point. Lucas is just as forgettable, only problem is he represents the future of Liverpool's midfield. Even on a bad day, Alonso represents far more quality than the likes of Lucas and if Xabi leaves, Rafa had better have a bloody good replacement! Lucas?Lucas Who?
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,940 posts | 285 
      Reply #65: May 12, 2008 12:26:25 am
      Ill probably be hated for this but i think its prob a good thing.

Dont get me wrong been a legend for us but been on a steady downhill slope for the last 2 seasons. Can still pass anyone off the pitch but he goes in half hearted on most challenges.
      Would be good business as i personally feel hes past his best and well still get a good price for him.
      Im not going to bang on about lucas as i think he needs to be loaned out for a few seasons and plessis doesnt really get my heart racing either.
      Def need to make some good signings in the next few weeks - rafa said he wants to sort things out at start of summer so can start training with new squad
      Should at least be getting 15 for him anyways and hes only got 3 more years in him
      IRWT

CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #66: May 12, 2008 09:20:22 am
      Ill probably be hated for this but I think its prob a good thing.

Dont get me wrong been a legend for us but been on a steady downhill slope for the last 2 seasons. Can still pass anyone off the pitch but he goes in half hearted on most challenges.
      Would be good business as I personally feel hes past his best and well still get a good price for him.
      Im not going to bang on about lucas as I think he needs to be loaned out for a few seasons and plessis doesnt really get my heart racing either.
      Def need to make some good signings in the next few weeks - rafa said he wants to sort things out at start of summer so can start training with new squad
      Should at least be getting 15 for him anyways and hes only got 3 more years in him
      IRWT

I know exactly what you're saying Benito, and that is the positive flip-side on things if he does go!

He has given us a good few years, and to make a profit on him would certainly be excellent business by Benitez!

I wouldn't say he's been going in half-hearted into challenges, but he's had a couple of injuries and they may be playing on his mind!

If he stays then I'm happy, but if he goes, I'll wish him all the best at his new club and thank him for all his efforts (and a fine goal against Milan in 05! ;))

YNWA Xabi
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #67: May 12, 2008 10:25:49 am
      how much are we getting for alonso..... personally i think hes probably worth about 15 mill on his current form and skillset... i agree with promoting from within and the reserves, i think we do have enough midfield cover, but we are really gonna need gareth barry now, i would like a new winger too..  hi ...... cant seem to do a new post so here goes...

im sick and tired of LFC baiting on the footy forum on the mirror pages...

please support the small number of LFC fans who constantly get baited on their pages, they are very anti LFC     and i think they need a few people to put the numbers right and balance all of the arguments

by the way this is a great forum ...
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #68: May 12, 2008 12:20:07 pm
      I know exactly what you're saying Benito, and that is the positive flip-side on things if he does go!

He has given us a good few years, and to make a profit on him would certainly be excellent business by Benitez!

I wouldn't say he's been going in half-hearted into challenges, but he's had a couple of injuries and they may be playing on his mind!

If he stays then I'm happy, but if he goes, I'll wish him all the best at his new club and thank him for all his efforts (and a fine goal against Milan in 05! ;))

YNWA Xabi

My thoughts exactly mate!

Also if Rafa is after 15mil for Crouchy then alonso is definately worth 20+mil.

Quick Reply