Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough)

Read 14035 times
      tooty100
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Re: Stewart Downing - LFC interest???? !!
      Reply #23: May 19, 2008 01:11:15 pm
      Not for me have seen him play a few times and take away his crosses and he's better than average, having said that he doesnt get the ball over 90% of the time anyway(think it was his last england game) and he could'nt get it past the first man, sorry but no better a signing then pennant on the right for me would be gutted if we payed that amount for him, would prefer to see it invested elsewhere.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #24: May 19, 2008 08:01:22 pm
      He scored 9 or 10 goals this season. Gerrard scored over 20, Kuyt & Crouch scored 11 goals maybe Babel too. Pennant was good with crosses. So Downing ranks equal among our oft rotated players. We need players that have a lot more to show for 38 starts this season than just 10 goals and little or no assists.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25: May 20, 2008 08:02:33 am
      No thanks. If Rafa is stupid enough to buy him for 12 million then ill double that to get Rafa out our club.

Also, wasnt it Albert Riera a few days ago we were after? Pure bullshit here.
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #26: May 20, 2008 09:09:23 am
      Gossip and hope it stays that way
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #27: May 20, 2008 05:21:55 pm
      cant see rafa going after him
      championlonglegs
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 55 posts | -3 
      • Yes
      Reply #28: May 22, 2008 09:32:44 pm
      Downing would b ok 4 liverpool but I think someone we could benefit from is ASHLEY YOUNG, last season he looked dangerous 4 aston villa, he runs @ ppl and isnt afraid 2 take a shot on. No disraspect but if he stays @ villa his career will lack trophies and I think LFC is the right place 4 him.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #29: May 22, 2008 10:17:26 pm
      Downing would b ok 4 liverpool but I think someone we could benefit from is ASHLEY YOUNG, last season he looked dangerous 4 aston villa, he runs @ ppl and isnt afraid 2 take a shot on. No disraspect but if he stays @ villa his career will lack trophies and I think LFC is the right place 4 him.

Ashley Young is truly the man. A player like that should want to play Championship football and also win trophies.
      Shoelessboy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      Reply #30: May 22, 2008 11:27:01 pm
      You really think MON is going to let us anywhere near Young? I think he'd rather let Barry go and look how much of a fight he is putting up. Tis a shame because I agree, he would be an excellent signing.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #31: May 22, 2008 11:39:10 pm
      But Downing? b I t c h please!!!!!!

:lmao: My thoughts exactly solodee!

Reckon this thread is probably left untouched unless any decent sources come through for this one.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #32: May 23, 2008 05:52:45 am
      You really think MON is going to let us anywhere near Young? I think he'd rather let Barry go and look how much of a fight he is putting up. Tis a shame because I agree, he would be an excellent signing.

If Man Utd came in for Young, expect him to be sign there in a heart beat. We dont have that influence in the market like they do.
      Shoelessboy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      Reply #33: May 23, 2008 01:58:53 pm
      Yeah what im saying is he wouldn't let Young go to us because of the barry transfer saga so far/
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #34: May 23, 2008 02:08:52 pm
      Yeah what im saying is he wouldn't let Young go to us because of the barry transfer saga so far/

Yeah no doubt mate, agree. The frusrating this is, we have targets but have to go to bigger lengths to secure them.
      Shoelessboy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      Reply #35: May 23, 2008 02:34:03 pm
      Yeah, such is life sometimes. I do believe it is easier for clubs to sell to man ure
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #36: May 23, 2008 02:47:56 pm
      Is it the Football Manager effect? ;D I never seen him as the player some people seem to think he is. Downing? No, thanks...
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #37: May 23, 2008 02:54:36 pm
      If I see Benitez buy Barry, Bentley or Downing then I'd lose a lot of faith in him. We all know these players won't improve us and surely Rafa should know that too!
      kop1985
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts | -10 
      Reply #38: May 23, 2008 08:31:43 pm
      I do think Barry and Bentley could do a job for us.  Ok they aren't the high profile signings we were all hoping for but they are proven PL and England players.  Maybe Rafa has a very small purse and thinks that signings from abroad are a gamble so he's going with the adage "better the devil you know"?  Otherwise we could end up with foreign flops with the price range we are buying in?  Who knows...

Would rather see Nick Barmby waring 7 than Downing.  I've never really understood the hype and the only reason he got into the national team was due to Mclaren.  Wouldn't see how he will strenghthen us enough to challenge for the PL.  He's a mid' table player at best imo.
      stiffler
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 137 posts |
      Reply #39: Jun 09, 2008 06:53:14 pm
      I would much rather have Downing than Millner to be honest!
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #40: Jun 09, 2008 07:01:47 pm

dunno bout that, whats F***ing awful is the fact we are even debating about which of these two we will get, its a F***ing farce to be honest. Just bullshit news for bullshit sake half of this transfer talk honestly, load of bollox
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41: Jun 09, 2008 07:53:58 pm

cant say i would prefer either of them in all honesty, we can do alot better
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #42: Jun 10, 2008 09:09:22 am
      cant say I would prefer either of them in all honesty, we can do alot better

Too right, you see Downing @ Boro and he ilooks quite settled with regular starts and is not the type of player who would want to move to a club where he would only get slightly more money and sit on the bench.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #43: Jun 15, 2008 03:24:04 pm
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3694030,00.html

Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate has reiterated that winger Stewart Downing is not for sale.

The England star only penned a new five-year contract in February after Tottenham failed to seal a deal for him.

Downing finished the Premier League season in fine style before linking up with England for their friendlies with France and Trinidad & Tobago.

Now fresh speculation has linked him with Liverpool, but Southgate has insisted that Downing is very much part of his plans.

"We have to accept there will be speculation about our players and, if they're the quality of Stewart and have had the sort of season he has, that's inevitable," said Southgate.

"Stewart knows exactly what I want to try and achieve here and, as far as we are concerned, he's not for sale.

"I fought long and hard to keep him and get him on a new contract during the course of last season and I think we saw an increased maturity in his performances towards the end."
      ________________________ ________________________ _______________

Good for him. Liverpool deserve better.
      « Last Edit: Jun 15, 2008 03:26:44 pm by solodee »
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #44: Jun 15, 2008 04:09:02 pm
      Good for him. Liverpool deserve better.

He should stay where he is. He'll always be a hero for his current side and be one of the first names on the team sheet too I imagine. For us I think he'd only ever be a disappointment and an occassional starter, so why bother?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #45: Jun 15, 2008 04:36:25 pm
      Rafa is hopefully just using him as a smoke screen so he can complete a move for Silva without any form of media finding out resulting in other clubs outbidding us ;)

Quick Reply