Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough)

Read 14071 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Stewart Downing - LFC interest???? !!
      Reply #46: Jun 16, 2008 06:20:46 am
      Personally i always thought it was bullshit. Rafa commenting on concentrating on British talent, then going in for a left sided midfielder, the media just saw hey Stewart is 2nd best in England, make a story.
      TheSpecialOne
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | -1 
      Reply #47: Jun 16, 2008 06:52:56 pm
      Gareth Southgate has issued a hands off warning to lfc, this will not happen.
      plus is he a proven world class left winger?
      i dnt thnk so, ye he's young but come on this is Liverpool Football Club, surely hes nt good enough
       ::)
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #48: Jun 16, 2008 07:29:08 pm
      smokescreen no doubt
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #49: Jun 16, 2008 11:19:41 pm
      Rafa is hopefully just using him as a smoke screen so he can complete a move for Silva without any form of media finding out resulting in other clubs outbidding us ;)

You are 110% correct as far as I'm concerned.

Bentley would be a great signing, still only 23, knows the league with a lot of potential. Barry I would prefer we didn't get but wouldn't complain if we did. Downing? I would cry myself to sleep until Rafa blew him out a canon back to Boro.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #50: Jun 19, 2008 12:07:46 am
      I havent heard or seen any speculation about this possible move for 2 or 3 weeks now
      Rina15
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Re: Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough)
      Reply #51: Jun 20, 2008 01:55:04 pm
      You'd be surprised how much truth there is in that. Bushy boy is meant to be buying the baseball or hockey team back off Hicks (he sold it to him in the first place) and so that might affect the transfer/stadium funding plus his bid to own liverpool 100%

Flames will fire out from my ears and my blood will boil the day Tom Hicks gets to own Liverpool 100%. If that happens, .... that will be like ... a Liverpool version of the "Wall Street Crash" :f_steam:
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #52: Jun 27, 2008 07:52:50 am
      Boro ready to fight off Liverpool's Stewart Downing interest

Gareth Southgate is ready to fight Liverpool to keep £12million England winger Stewart Downing.

Liverpool have stepped up their interest in Downing, revealed in Spy this month, as Rafa Benitez looks to plug his problem left-wing position.

Downing is a top priority for the Anfield boss, who believes he can prise him away from the Riverside Stadium.

He signed a five-year deal at Boro in January, but wants to push on in his career if his home-town club does not show ambition.
      Advertisement
      Click Here!

Downing, 24, said: "The manager knows when you are playing for England you have to play at the top or you will lose your place."

Southgate said: "I fought to get him on a new contract last season and he is not for sale."

I hope that rafa change his mind.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/06/27/boro-ready-to-fight-off-liverpool-s-stewart-downing-interest-89520-20622617/
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2008 11:27:11 am by County_Rd_Kopite, Reason: link to article »
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #53: Jun 27, 2008 08:08:17 am

You and me both, mate. Simply not Liverpool quality IMO.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #54: Jun 27, 2008 09:49:01 am
      In my opinion Stewart downing took a step backwards in moving from Old Trafford in the first place, yes he may have been gauranteed a first team place at Boro' but he should have stayed where he was and fought for his place, if he comes to L.F.C  I can only see him playing a bit part in Rafa's Plans he would be amongst a long line of "fringe" players, at least at boro' He's one of the big names !
      Please Rafa, re-evaluate where the money you have should be spent there are far better targets to aim for than Stewart Downing !
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #55: Jun 27, 2008 11:05:50 am
      In my opinion Stewart downing took a step backwards in moving from Old Trafford in the first place, yes he may have been gauranteed a first team place at Boro' but he should have stayed where he was and fought for his place, if he comes to L.F.C  I can only see him playing a bit part in Rafa's Plans he would be amongst a long line of "fringe" players, at least at boro' He's one of the big names !
      Please Rafa, re-evaluate where the money you have should be spent there are far better targets to aim for than Stewart Downing !

Bit confussed here mate, Downing came through the youth ranks at Boro, and the only other team he has played for was Sunderland on loan. (Barring England of cause)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #56: Jun 27, 2008 11:31:56 am
      Bit confussed here mate, Downing came through the youth ranks at Boro, and the only other team he has played for was Sunderland on loan. (Barring England of cause)

:D Just thought that.

Got your wires crossed there Frizzby mate! :D
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #57: Jun 27, 2008 12:54:47 pm
      he has never looked Liverpool class to me.

I could be wrong.  Maybe he just needs the proper environment to flourish in.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #58: Jun 27, 2008 01:06:43 pm
      Big fish in a small pond for mine. He wont cut it at our club.
      babel99
      • Banned

• 141 posts | -24 
      Reply #59: Jun 27, 2008 01:19:44 pm
      Pls Rafa dont sign this bum. Yea he's good on the riverside but thats against the average teams that turn up there. When one of the big four turn up he's nowhere to be seen. Cum on Rafa I know a spanish lad that is the opposite of gold that we could sign if you put your mind to it.
      andyc
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #60: Jun 27, 2008 01:50:48 pm
      why are we trying to sign players that may win us games against the average teams??  wev got that already.  we need big game players that will make a difference against the other top teams!!  downing wudnt be that player.  we need proven class!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #61: Jun 27, 2008 03:34:23 pm
      Boro chief tells Liverpool to forget about trying to sign Stweart Downing - he's staying
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1029958/Boro-chief-tells-Liverpool-forget-trying-sign-Stweart-Downing--hes-staying.html?ITO=1490

Middlesbrough chief executive Keith Lamb has told Rafa Benitez to forget about  signing Stewart Downing.

The 22-year-old England international signed a new, five-year deal in February  but that has not deterred Liverpool, who are lining up a £12 million offer. 

However Lamb said: 'His best years are ahead of him. In fact, we believe  Stewart will become one of the best footballers, not just in Britain but in Europe with Middlesbrough.

'Stewart's got everything as a player and is playing possibly the best football  of his career, both for Middlesbrough and for England, but I don't feel that he is fulfilled his potential yet.

'We were all delighted that Stewart signed a new contract last season. We believe he is happy and settled here. Having said that, we know that Stewart  has to achieve all that his talent allows, so the onus is on Middlesbrough to ensure his ambitions are fulfilled here.'

Thats fantasic. To hear their chief that he is not for sell is briallint. Hope that he doesn't change his mind.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #62: Jun 27, 2008 03:39:00 pm
      Good news that there not selling now we dont have to bother bidding and have more time to sign silva :)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #63: Jun 27, 2008 03:39:42 pm
      Thats fantasic. To hear their chief that he is not for sell is briallint. Hope that he doesn't change his mind.

Yeah, just hope he isn't trying to push the value up as well... I definitely don't want him at any price, but to hear their chief executive stating he thinks Downing will become one of Europe's best midfielders is laughable. Maybe he thinks he can do a Martin O'Neill and make us pay £20 million for him.  ::)

We don't want him!!!!!!!!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #64: Jun 27, 2008 04:03:39 pm
      :D Just thought that.

Got your wires crossed there Frizzby mate! :D

shows what i know then lads don´t it , F**k all !
      As del boy would say a "a first class plonker" :-[
      was there a player that went from Man Ure to Boro ? if so who ?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #65: Jun 27, 2008 04:16:54 pm
      Don't worry about it Frizzby. It's probably all this talk of us wanting Downing that's got you mixed up in the first place mate.

I'll be very disheartened if we go in for Downing.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #66: Jun 27, 2008 04:20:22 pm
      I didn´t want to get the guy I WAS thinking of let alone Downing !
      kop1985
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts | -10 
      Reply #67: Aug 09, 2008 06:48:48 pm
      NO NO NO NO NO, please no...
      He is the epitomy of mediocre.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #68: Aug 09, 2008 07:19:08 pm
      NO NO NO NO NO, please no...
      He is the epitomy of mediocre.

Oof! Why did you bump this thread up?! With all Rafa's talk about wanting a left-sided player, I thought we'd put in a bid for him!

What a relief!

Quick Reply