Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 12th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough)

Read 14137 times
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough)
      May 18, 2008 09:57:45 am
      Please somebody tell me this is a bad dream... on BBC teletext today... under Sunday Gossip.
      « Last Edit: Jun 19, 2008 07:52:33 pm by JD »
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Re: Stewart Downing - LFC interest???? !!
      Reply #1: May 18, 2008 10:00:00 am
      NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #2: May 18, 2008 10:07:25 am
      Gosip is all it is Downing signed a new contract not that long ago and I cannot see him moving on just yet.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: May 18, 2008 11:06:40 am
      On BBC too, if Barry deal falls through then Downing is our next target - ffs as if!

Media just reading too much into Rafa's 'British players' comment and saw the next best down was Downing.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #4: May 18, 2008 11:17:53 am
      This bullshit comes from the News Of The World, which I thought was basically the same sh*te as The S*n? We can stop talking about this one I think.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #5: May 18, 2008 11:38:48 am
      On BBC too, if Barry deal falls through then Downing is our next target - ffs as if!

Media just reading too much into Rafa's 'British players' comment and saw the next best down was Downing.

I think the comments from Rafa could have been ill judged to be honest, as any English players we go sniffing out now will have the clubs piling on £ for value.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #6: May 18, 2008 11:44:45 am

I agree, they're just going through the rest of the English midfielders now. Next it'll be Jermaine F***ing Jenas or something.
      Babelinhio
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #7: May 18, 2008 04:03:59 pm
      Totally rubbish and not worth wasting a penny on.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #8: May 18, 2008 08:00:27 pm
      No,No,No.This is not the type of player that will take us to the next level.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #9: May 18, 2008 08:09:12 pm
      This bullshit comes from the News Of The World, which I thought was basically the same sh*te as The S*n? We can stop talking about this one I think.

Every Sunday they come out with about 6 or 7 'new' stories.  But I don't read the News Of The World, I see them on the BBC Sunday Gossip page.

Take what you hear with a pinch of salt.

Like this one.

American president George Bush has emerged as a key figure in Tom Hicks's plans to retain his grip on co-ownership of Liverpool. (News of the World)

I wonder if old Tom leaked this one himself!!!!  The press are getting F***ing desperate now!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      « Last Edit: May 18, 2008 08:18:15 pm by Court LFC »
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #10: May 18, 2008 09:40:13 pm
      Bring back Steve McManaman!

Seriously though Downing is bobbins.
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #11: May 18, 2008 09:57:45 pm
      No,No,No.This is not the type of player that will take us to the next level.

Couldn't have said it better myself, if this is true (which I whole heartidly doubt) then it's signings like these that are keeping us from mounting a serious challenge. Should be players like Silva, Villa, Eto'o, Kaka, Messi, Nasri, Benzema that we are being linked with, not second rate crap like this.
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #12: May 18, 2008 10:46:42 pm
      Him and Bentley are both pants in my opinion
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #13: May 18, 2008 11:13:52 pm
      Him and Bentley are both pants in my opinion

I rate Bentley a dam site better than Downing. I would be happy to land Bentley.
      Shoelessboy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      Reply #14: May 19, 2008 12:27:43 am
      Take what you hear with a pinch of salt.

Like this one.

American president George Bush has emerged as a key figure in Tom Hicks's plans to retain his grip on co-ownership of Liverpool. (News of the World)

I wonder if old Tom leaked this one himself!!!!  The press are getting F***ing desperate now!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You'd be surprised how much truth there is in that. Bushy boy is meant to be buying the baseball or hockey team back off Hicks (he sold it to him in the first place) and so that might affect the transfer/stadium funding plus his bid to own liverpool 100%
      Rafalutionary
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 118 posts |
      • Red Rafalutionary
      Reply #15: May 19, 2008 03:18:20 am
      I hope this is the press talking sh*te again.. Downing is too lightweight for me..

You'd be surprised how much truth there is in that. Bushy boy is meant to be buying the baseball or hockey team back off Hicks (he sold it to him in the first place) and so that might affect the transfer/stadium funding plus his bid to own liverpool 100%

As for George DUBYA buying LFC, if it's going to happen I hope he does it while he's still President..

Then he can nuke Old Trafford!

:laughing-smiley-014:  :gunhappyyank:  :laughing-smiley-014:
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #16: May 19, 2008 11:41:06 am
      http://squarefootball.typepad.co.uk/squarefootball/2008/05/transfer-spec-2.html

Transfer Speculation: Stewart Downing to Liverpool

Liverpool's drive to create a title challenging squad will be one the most watched aspects of this summer.  Rafa Benitez will be entering his fifth season in charge and the only areas that obviously need enhancing are at full-back and on the flanks.  Benitez likes Dirk Kuyt's energy and his potential goalscoring and so may not make the long mooted move for a replacement like David Bentley - well not until he has offloaded some of the many fringe players.  But with Harry Kewell on his way some competition for the impressive Ryan Babel on the left side of the attack is probably reasonable.

The Daily Telegraph is reporting that Liverpool will bid £12m for Stewart Downing, who is probably one of the best left wing crossers in Europe, scores around 10 goals a season and is often in England squads.  With these credentials surely Downing should be worth more?

Interestingly there has usually been a bidder for Downing most summers, Tottenham are the most commonly linked, but there is rarely much evidence of firm bids.  There is little doubt that the jinking, Downing would offer something different on the left hand side of attack - but do Liverpool have the players to benefit from the three or four beautiful crosses that he would curl into the box in a game?  When David Beckham was in his pomp he would also send lovely crosses in - but in those days Man United flooded the box with players.  In these more cautious times is an old-fashioned winger useful?

Downing would probably strengthen the side more than the well reported move for Gareth Barry (who would have to compete with Gerrard, Alonso, Lucas and Mascherano for a central midfield slot).  And would point to a more attacking intent.  Middlesbrough are in transition under Gareth Southgate and with so many excellent players coming through the youth team Southgate may feel that at £12m he can take a chance - in much the same way that Woodgate was allowed to move to Tottenham to allow Wheater to come through - on a sale.  Downing would not be the banner signing that many Liverpool fans crave, but he would certainly offer something different and improve the squad.
      ________________________ ________________________

Surely 12 million will help seal the deal for a top midfielders like Ashley Young, David Bentley and even make up the asking price for Gareth Barry (with Carson going for 6 million pounds now).

But Downing? b i t c h please!!!!!!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #17: May 19, 2008 11:58:24 am
      it really makes for a scary summer when downing is one of the biggest names linked to us the players being linked to us are a disgrace
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #18: May 19, 2008 12:07:16 pm
      I think Downing could be a good buy actually he always seems to be where the action is with Boro, but again we come back to the "will he wanna join a club where he may not start as much" so on that basis he must be a 3rd choice behind Barry and Bentley (we hope)
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #19: May 19, 2008 12:12:00 pm
      the time for buying lads that are not going to start every game is over if we hope to compete for the league next year we need top quality full backs and wide men, players that are ready now, we don't need any squad fillers. no more 5-8 million pound players
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #20: May 19, 2008 12:21:30 pm
      the time for buying lads that are not going to start every game is over if we hope to compete for the league next year we need top quality full backs and wide men, players that are ready now, we don't need any squad fillers. no more 5-8 million pound players

I fully agree Bentley for instance would start as much as Torres I'm sure of it, whereas Downing would probably start as much as Pennant has this season.
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #21: May 19, 2008 12:27:48 pm

Seriously though Downing is bobbins.
      [/quote]

No i'm not Downing, how dare you insult me like that  ;D
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #22: May 19, 2008 12:57:09 pm
      http://squarefootball.typepad.co.uk/squarefootball/2008/05/transfer-spec-2.html

Transfer Speculation: Stewart Downing to Liverpool

Liverpool's drive to create a title challenging squad will be one the most watched aspects of this summer.  Rafa Benitez will be entering his fifth season in charge and the only areas that obviously need enhancing are at full-back and on the flanks.  Benitez likes Dirk Kuyt's energy and his potential goalscoring and so may not make the long mooted move for a replacement like David Bentley - well not until he has offloaded some of the many fringe players.  But with Harry Kewell on his way some competition for the impressive Ryan Babel on the left side of the attack is probably reasonable.

The Daily Telegraph is reporting that Liverpool will bid £12m for Stewart Downing, who is probably one of the best left wing crossers in Europe, scores around 10 goals a season and is often in England squads.  With these credentials surely Downing should be worth more?

Interestingly there has usually been a bidder for Downing most summers, Tottenham are the most commonly linked, but there is rarely much evidence of firm bids.  There is little doubt that the jinking, Downing would offer something different on the left hand side of attack - but do Liverpool have the players to benefit from the three or four beautiful crosses that he would curl into the box in a game?  When David Beckham was in his pomp he would also send lovely crosses in - but in those days Man United flooded the box with players.  In these more cautious times is an old-fashioned winger useful?

Downing would probably strengthen the side more than the well reported move for Gareth Barry (who would have to compete with Gerrard, Alonso, Lucas and Mascherano for a central midfield slot).  And would point to a more attacking intent.  Middlesbrough are in transition under Gareth Southgate and with so many excellent players coming through the youth team Southgate may feel that at £12m he can take a chance - in much the same way that Woodgate was allowed to move to Tottenham to allow Wheater to come through - on a sale.  Downing would not be the banner signing that many Liverpool fans crave, but he would certainly offer something different and improve the squad.
      ________________________ ________________________

Surely 12 million will help seal the deal for a top midfielders like Ashley Young, David Bentley and even make up the asking price for Gareth Barry (with Carson going for 6 million pounds now).

But Downing? b I t c h please!!!!!!

I wish but we would never in a million get young for 12 million, i know how much some of our fans want him but it definately isnt going to happen, o'neill is already moaning about barry he wouldnt even listen to offers for young i dont think. I think they would hold out for nearer 20 he is their best player bar (barry their most important in terms of spirit for the team). Bentley close but would be nearer 15 million.

I think downing is good but very overrated, I think he could become a top player but at the moment he is definately one of those will he wont he. His volley against city in the last game of the season showed how good his technique can be but he's always been one of those players that you arent sure whether he could do well in a top 4 side or not.

Quick Reply