Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough)

Read 14076 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough)
      Reply #92: Aug 20, 2008 04:01:28 pm
      I no what I have said above, but do we not need a right winger more than a left winger? iam not saying we dont need a left-sided player but we have no natural lright wingers so therefore we need one more- and yes, I do consider Babel as a natural left winger
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #93: Aug 20, 2008 04:04:24 pm
      I no what I have said above, but do we not need a right winger more than a left winger? iam not saying we dont need a left-sided player but we have no natural lright wingers so therefore we need one more- and yes, I do consider Babel as a natural left winger

I think the left wing is more important, we only have Babel who can actually play there (well), the right wing is'nt too bad; Pennant, Benayoun, Kuyt and Gerrard can all play there. However if we sign Downing or a different left winger i would much prefer to see Babel out on the right because then he would actually be able to put crosses in 1st time instead of cutting in onto his right and then crossing.
      rossiered
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #94: Aug 20, 2008 05:32:02 pm
      downing is a good player in a crap team. Hed only be an average player in our team. Another pennant,kuyt,benayoun type. I agree we need a left sided player but we dont have the money to buy quality players we should be. Downing would only do a job for us, but not the world class we need to make us challange
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #95: Aug 20, 2008 05:34:41 pm
      WOW! If you read the first 4 pages of comments and then compare them to the 6th page, you'd think they were two completely different treads! Desperate times - Desperate Measures???  ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #96: Aug 20, 2008 09:43:45 pm
      Could always include Voronin as part of the deal, Boro need some firepower up front :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #97: Aug 20, 2008 10:10:41 pm
      Desperate times - Desperate Measures???  ;D

:lmao: Good one solodee. It's nice to see us reds can keep our sense of humour when transfer activity is less exciting than waiting for a bus in the rain.

I'm not a fan of Downing. When I've seen him play at Anfield he hasn't really caused enough danger for me to be thinking he'd be a worthy addition for double figures in the millions - because that's what it would have to be if we went in for him.

But the width is a problem for us and he has got a good left foot on him. But I think we could spend money a bit better.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #98: Aug 20, 2008 10:16:57 pm
      WOW! If you read the first 4 pages of comments and then compare them to the 6th page, you'd think they were two completely different treads! Desperate times - Desperate Measures???  ;D

I think we all know we need the option of a genuine winger.  With about 10 days left, we have less and less room to be picky.

Unfortunately.
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #99: Aug 20, 2008 10:32:27 pm
      i'm really not the biggest fan of downing i must say, but the way our wingers are playing at the moment, due to the fact they aren't out and out wingers, i would happily welcome him to the left side of our midfield.

He's in form atm for middlesborough, so maybe he could provide some form for us. I know full well there are much better players out there but while the yankee doodle dinlows are there, i think i could settle just about for Downing. The left side of midfield is our weakest and he can take on a player or two, so hey you never know, with a bit of luck and a fair wind, and rafa, stevie and torres on alongside him, he may actually become better?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #100: Aug 21, 2008 01:27:16 pm

I was about to type the same thing mate.

I dont think he is bad. He runs the show in midfield at Boro from the left side which is very impressive.

RK, Downing set up Boateng in their 1-1 with us. Was the best cross you could ask for too, keep in mind while the other attackers went forward, he stuck to his wing and was the only onside player to then produce a briliant cross. He nearly put them 2 up but hit the post after having Reina beaten.

He also scored in the home game to bring it back to 3-2 and some on here I can recall were very anxious.

Not only that, he took the free kick into the box which led to the opener for Tuncay to head home. So I'd disagree with that statement of him never impressing as he was the second best player on the pitch that day.

I like the lads play, I think he is very under rated by many and should we see a 12 million pound bid, I would be fine with that. 15 million however is the absolute limit for me. Great passing game, top 5 crossers of the ball in the league easily for me and someone who always gives their all.
      marko
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #101: Aug 21, 2008 07:43:54 pm
      I was about to type the same thing mate.

I dont think he is bad. He runs the show in midfield at Boro from the left side which is very impressive.

RK, Downing set up Boateng in their 1-1 with us. Was the best cross you could ask for too, keep in mind while the other attackers went forward, he stuck to his wing and was the only onside player to then produce a briliant cross. He nearly put them 2 up but hit the post after having Reina beaten.

He also scored in the home game to bring it back to 3-2 and some on here I can recall were very anxious.

Not only that, he took the free kick into the box which led to the opener for Tuncay to head home. So I'd disagree with that statement of him never impressing as he was the second best player on the pitch that day.

I like the lads play, I think he is very under rated by many and should we see a 12 million pound bid, I would be fine with that. 15 million however is the absolute limit for me. Great passing game, top 5 crossers of the ball in the league easily for me and someone who always gives their all.
      Totally agree with that i would love to see downing at liverpool i think he could do a good job for us.he has a great left foot and would balance the team and bring width which we are lacking.not every 1 starts out a world class player but given time and playing alongside better players people can improve.just look at torres not every 1 on here fancied him and now he is the best striker in the world.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #102: Aug 21, 2008 07:48:15 pm
      I cant see him flopping at all so i cant, i really think he would be a success and bag a few goals aswell
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #103: Aug 22, 2008 12:53:23 am
      I cant see him flopping at all so I cant, I really think he would be a success and bag a few goals aswell

I cant see him flopping either, i think he is one of them players that if you take from their team and put in a better team they will just get better and better (e.g. Nando)

Downing probably wont get much better as a player at Boro because most the players are just mediocre, it would help his career massivley by joining us IMO
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #104: Aug 22, 2008 12:55:23 am
      I cant see him flopping either, I think he is one of them players that if you take from their team and put in a better team they will just get better and better (e.g. Nando)

Downing probably wont get much better as a player at Boro because most the players are just mediocre, it would help his career massivley by joining us IMO

Agreed, its been prooven, (with some exceptions ovcourse) that you play better with better players around you, Downing should be no different, although there is alot of Quaresma talk going on atm and little downing
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #105: Aug 22, 2008 12:56:25 am
      Agreed, its been prooven, (with some exceptions ovcourse) that you play better with better players around you, Downing should be no different, although there is alot of Quaresma talk going on atm and little downing

Get them both :D
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #106: Aug 22, 2008 12:57:07 am

Bloody hell.... problem solved, throw in gareth barry aswell for good measure ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #107: Aug 22, 2008 01:07:01 am
      Bloody hell.... problem solved, throw in gareth barry aswell for good measure ;)

i would'nt go that far :D
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #108: Aug 22, 2008 01:08:38 am
      I can see rafa turining to downing if the quaresma deal doesnt work, or maybe quaresma is just a smkescreen. Then again no other teams seem to be interested in downing. No other teams were interested in Barry though and it didnt make things easier ::)
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #109: Aug 22, 2008 02:08:46 am
      Any one of three would please me to see "them" part with their money,and would give Rafa more options.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #110: Aug 22, 2008 11:39:43 am
      What ever happened to Quarsema's, 'A big club has signed me' nonsense. ::)
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #111: Aug 22, 2008 10:30:59 pm
      What ever happened to Quarsema's, 'A big club has signed me' nonsense. ::)

It was inter they had apparently got a fee pretty much agreed then it broke down
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #112: Aug 23, 2008 12:43:46 am
      I just watched a bit of stewart downing from past m,atches and i tell u what, he impressed me. However, iam not sure if hes really what we are looking for.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #113: Aug 23, 2008 12:48:17 am
      I hope he has a shocker tomorrow though :D
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #114: Aug 23, 2008 12:55:16 am
      I hope he has a shocker tomorrow though :D

Me to

Quick Reply