Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Accents

Read 1366 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,356 posts | 2876 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Accents
      Jul 04, 2008 06:17:23 pm
      Is there different accents in Liverpool or whatever town you live in. Like a working class accent and an upper class accent? Here in Dublin weve about 3 accents. My own one would be regarded as a proper Dublin accent. Then theres the more posh accent found in certain very well of areas but theres a third one mostly used by students which is a cross between the posh accent and a made up american type accent and it does my f**kin head in  >:(.  Do ye have that in Liverpool or is scouse spoken the same all over?
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Re: Accents
      Reply #1: Jul 04, 2008 06:49:26 pm
      Don't know about Liverpool accents Brian mate ? but in Wales there are to many. North,south,east and west are totally different ,then you have got the valleys of south Wales now that dose my head in. Just within a distance of two miles the accents and the slang completely change mental.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Jul 04, 2008 10:04:37 pm
      Im from liverpool but currently live on the isle of wight and there accent is totally different
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #3: Jul 04, 2008 11:55:49 pm
      I think there is a few Liverpool accents for instance I have a mate called Helen who is proper scouse and I have trouble understanding her sometimes mainly because of alot of the slang, but then my dad has a slight scouse accent which only comes out in certain words and is not that strong.  I myself have a midlands accent cos I'm from Stafford but around that area there is a few more including: Stoke, Wolverhampton, Cannock, Dudley, Brummie.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Jul 05, 2008 11:14:53 am
      There is a few accents around Liverpool. For instance, when you get closer to Southport or Skelmersdale then the accent softens as there's a bit more of a Manc influence. And Wigan, etc. In general though, you do get a mix of light and heavy accents in the areas within the city.

I'd say I'm fairly scouse, especially working on the phones. I ring up people in work and say it's Littlewoods Football Pools and they go off to get their husband saying it's Liverpool's Football Pools! :D So it's fair to say I'm recognisably scouse.

Yet I've got mates who have really plain accents, really understandable and peopke can't really place where they're from! :D
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5: Jul 05, 2008 01:27:12 pm
      I dont think that i have an "accent" that you could tell were i was from if i was talking. What i find is that in Ireland the further down you go, the harder it is to understand people, when you get to Cork you really need to listen very very carefully :D. Also is it just me who sort of picks up accents, say i was in limerick for a week i would sort of speak differently there after a while, like add a slight accent to the way i normally speak, and i dont even mean to!

Quick Reply