Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Gerrard Liverpools greatest and Second best English midfielder since Charlton

Read 4926 times
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: Gerrard Liverpools greatest and Second best English midfielder since Charlton
      Reply #23: Mar 17, 2012 03:08:56 pm
      Stevie is the best midfielder in the Premier League era for me and going back for a time before that too. I didn't see Bobby Charlton play so I cannot make a comparison, plus it is virtually impossible to compare different eras, as has been pointed out.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Gerrard Liverpools greatest and Second best English midfielder since Charlton
      Reply #24: Mar 17, 2012 10:54:55 pm
      Unfair to compare any player of past generations to current because the game has evolved and developed so much, the fitness levels of the current players are on a completely different level than the older generations, but so is the lack of physical contact and playing with what the older guys would feel is a fly-away. Andy Carroll would have a neck like a bulldog if he had to head the old ball compared to the new shame for the poor lad but he probably wouldn't lose many more braincells.

In my personally opinion Gerrard is the single best player I've had the pleasure to watch and influences games and other players in ways I've never seen, almost roy of the rovers stuff as we all know. His international career stats are not that of his Liverpool mainly because he's played a stupid amount of games on the left wing and defensive midfielder allowing fat Frank to play in his position, but that's a separate issue. Be a sad, sad day when he hangs up his boots, sure he'll move on to management though.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #25: Mar 17, 2012 11:08:58 pm
      To say that Gerrard and Charlton can't really be compared due to the different eras they played in is fair comment. Either would find it difficult in the others era. I have no doubt that the two remain above the rest and as for compareing Hoddle, that's a joke in my opinion. Scholes is closer, but such a dirty b***ard at times, take the gloss off for me. Charlton/Gerrard different games, different times, that'll do for me.

Quick Reply