Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Xabi Alonso (L'Arsenal)

Read 9584 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,202 posts | 1644 
      Re: Xabi Alonso (L'Arsenal)
      Reply #46: Aug 10, 2008 06:29:36 pm
      I don't see Wenger splashing out anything more than 12 mil pounds on a player, even more so if the player is above 20 years of age. The geezer's a miser I bet he takes he a bus ride home.
      :lmao: :lmao: Can imagine him talking to the bus driver 'I fink you muzt be blind, everyone could zee that waz my stop no, ze whol vorld could zee an you dont!'

P.S that needs to be read with a french twang!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #47: Aug 10, 2008 10:20:29 pm
      Have the gunners actually signed ANYONE this summer? I saw Wenger pn Sky Sports earlier saying he is not buying atm because he is too busy getting ready for the CL tie next week but I can't remember seeing them sign anyone so far.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #48: Aug 10, 2008 10:22:29 pm
      Have the gunners actually signed ANYONE this summer? I saw Wenger pn Sky Sports earlier saying he is not buying atm because he is too busy getting ready for the CL tie next week but I can't remember seeing them sign anyone so far.

that ramsey lad
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #49: Aug 10, 2008 10:26:20 pm

That all? even that was last season!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #50: Aug 11, 2008 12:05:39 am

they signed him this summer
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #51: Aug 11, 2008 05:08:43 am
      They signed Nasri too dont forget.
      Shoelessboy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      Reply #52: Aug 11, 2008 01:17:26 pm
      Yeah and Nasri is a big buy too
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #53: Aug 11, 2008 01:24:20 pm

Ok well June then but the whole sorry sags started well into last season.

They signed Nasri too dont forget.

Ah another French International eh? Mr Wenger certainly knows how to be creative alright! ;) it's like the scouts live in France and don't have pasports! ;D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #54: Aug 11, 2008 03:33:53 pm
      it's like the scouts live in France and don't have pasports! ;D

Or they really like snails and frog legs.

I think Wenger is a very patriotic guy, otherwise he would actually look outside of France for someone under 20, a big price tag and touted as a superstar.

Although, i wish he snapped up the young lads Houllier brought with him.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #55: Aug 11, 2008 05:55:36 pm
      They've signed a few others, including someone from Werder Bremen, not big signings really though.
      I'm confident that Xabi will still be with us next season.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #56: Aug 12, 2008 07:32:29 pm
      They've signed a few others, including someone from Werder Bremen, not big signings really though.
      I'm confident that Xabi will still be with us next season.

Me too I hope he starts tomorrow night to silence the media anyway!
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #57: Aug 12, 2008 07:38:12 pm
      Me too I hope he starts tomorrow night to silence the media anyway!

Yeah, they'll definately stop with any speculation over Alonso if he's cup-tied.
      -Well we can hope!
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #58: Aug 14, 2008 09:07:11 pm
      Here we go again

Italians in for Alonso
      August 14, 2008
      AC Milan are reportedly interested Spaniard Xabi Alonso and are likely to make a bid for the player.

FansFC.com suggest that manager Carlos Ancelotti could make a £15million bid for Alonso, although he is cup tied now after playing a part in the 0-0 draw with Liege.

“A move to Juventus was scrapped when the Italians refused to offer any more than £12million, whilst the Reds are reluctant to entertain interest from Arsenal.

“Carlo Ancelotti has now believed to have targeted the former Real Sociedad player for a move to the San Siro, and an offer of £15million will be enough to ensure the services of Alonso.” FansFC reported.

Kopites showed in the Lazio game that they really want Alonso to remain at the club although, statistics don’t show very positive readings, with only 2 assists last season for Alonso.

from http://lfcglobe.com/
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #59: Aug 14, 2008 09:27:23 pm
      They wont even bid.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #60: Aug 14, 2008 10:17:53 pm
      Wont happen!

1. he wont leave champions league football for uefa cup football
      2. why would he go to a team which are nearly full of o.a.p's
      3. they struggled to fund ronaldinho and now could'nt afford darren anderton let alone xabi alonso
      4. they are mediocre now
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #61: Aug 15, 2008 05:56:19 am
      Pffft. '15 million will be enough'. No it wont you tit.

As 7-k k-7 said, its just a step down from staying here. Not like he is guaranteed a spot their either.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #62: Aug 16, 2008 08:13:51 am
      Football: Alonso asks to leave as cracks show in the Liverpool hierarchy

Andy Hunter The Guardian, Saturday August 16 2008

The fall-out from Liverpool's arduous pursuit of Gareth Barry continued yesterday when Xabi Alonso asked to leave Anfield and Rafael Benítez revealed evidence of his strained relationship with the club's chief executive, Rick Parry.

Alonso, a recent transfer target for Juventus and Arsenal, wants to be sold having become disillusioned with the manager's attempts to finance the Barry deal by off-loading the Spain international amid concerns that his first team chances will be reduced this season. The 26-year-old has not submitted a transfer request, but has asked the club to renew its efforts to sell him in the coming weeks - a stance that will alert the Arsenal manager, Arsène Wenger.

Arsenal are the only club to have made an official inquiry about Alonso since his proposed transfer to Juventus collapsed over Liverpool's £18m valuation. They too, however, share the Italians' view that Liverpool's price-tag is excessive and are only prepared to pay around £12m for the playmaker who moved to Anfield from Real Sociedad for £10.5m in 2004. Without a compromise from either party Alonso will be left in limbo this season but Benítez remains intent on signing Barry, who is also valued at £18m by Aston Villa, and is prepared to sell his compatriot and/or Jermaine Pennant and Andriy Voronin to fund the transfer of his own accord.

Benítez was refused a short-term loan to complete the Barry transfer last week by the Liverpool owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, with Parry, while denying the Americans had not backed their manager's judgement, issuing a statement that confirmed Villa's asking price was "too high". The Liverpool manager has since had e-mail conversations with the Americans and has been told money is available for other transfers. But yesterday he dismissed suggestions he had driven up Barry's price by publicly revealing Liverpool's interest before the end of last season and that the failure to sell Alonso had changed the club's transfer policy. In doing so, he indicated the Liverpool chief executive was accountable for the Barry saga now entering its fourth month.

"I get blamed for everything, for global warming to high petrol prices," said Benítez. "But in this case [Barry] I want to be very clear. Since I talked to Martin O'Neill about the situation in April, I have not talked to anyone at Aston Villa. All the talks have been between our chief executive Rick Parry, the owner and the chief executive of Aston Villa. And those talks have all been pretty good.

"If anyone wants to talk about Barry in the future they must talk with the owner, Rick Parry or the chief executive of Aston Villa. I was not involved in the talks about Barry, I was not involved in the talks about Alonso and Arsenal. If you want to talk about these players you must talk to the chief executive of our club who was handling the discussions. If you want to talk about football, then you talk with me."

The Liverpool manager remains confident of a resolution before the close of the transfer window, however. "We continue working and we have time. I have some players in mind," he added.

Please tell me this is not true?!!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #63: Aug 16, 2008 08:56:50 am
      I'm sick of it!  :f_steam: This summer's transfer period has just followed on in the sipirt of turmoil and embarrasment as dogged us last season... The owners jumping in the middle of our deals to humiliate the club and manager, the bad press, and the inability to complete deals without a media circus!  :mad: Anyway, back on topic!

If Alonso wants to leave then this changes my opinion of the situation. Whilst he was happy to stay and fight for his place I was 100% behind him staying, but if he wants to leave then let him go. I don't believe a player can perform to his best if he is held at a club against his will, so we should do our best to honour his request and find a quality replacement. But never, never should we sell him to another Premiership club - it was bad enough Crouch going to Pompey, but that was easier to understand as he has some history there. Selling a top player to a title rival is just asking for trouble - I'd hate for it to backfire on us in future matches!

Anyway, Rafa's comments are as calming as ever - he states that there are several players waiting in the wings, so I do hope our squad will be settled in the next couple of weeks.
      briancs342
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #64: Aug 16, 2008 11:12:29 am
      haha.  i saw so much bullshit in the news today.  rafa falling out with parry over barry just after he says that barrygate was out of his hands, xabi looking for an exit, etc etc
      sahilsheikh
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #65: Aug 16, 2008 11:15:54 am
      The news is bull sh*t i only read offical sources especilly with football  e.g.- torres 2 chelsea 40m hahahaha lmao
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #66: Aug 16, 2008 03:37:29 pm
      The news is bull sh*t I only read offical sources especilly with football  e.g.- torres 2 chelsea 40m hahahaha lmao

that made me laugh for weeks :D
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #67: Aug 26, 2008 12:15:24 am
      This is hard to admit but Alonso has been a shadow of himself the last year or so. Not the player he was or can be. I just believe that if we need to push on we need a different kind of player.

Acknowledge that Xabi is quality at times and has over all been an excellent servant BUT believe that if we have to raise funds to bring in a midfielder with different qualities then maybe its time. I think Barry would be a better fit for the team. Yeah Alonso is a better passer (both long and short) but Barry is more likely to track back and build a move. His stats from last year show just how valuable he is.

Honestly believe masch, barry and stevie is a tighter unit that one that includes alonso.

I say all this on my knees as I pray he doesn't get moved to the Arse....
      « Last Edit: Aug 26, 2008 01:08:09 am by lester76 »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #68: Aug 26, 2008 12:28:36 am
      I heard Cesc saying he wants Xabi, we'll you no what Cesc... F**k off :D

Quick Reply