Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

LFC stars make 'hard man' list

Read 7593 times
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Re: LFC stars make 'hard man' list
      Reply #46: May 07, 2009 11:16:21 pm
      I know he was Blue sh*te, but what about big Duncan Ferguson!  he was also a bit mental.  didn't 2 people burgle his house when he was actually there and they had to rescued from him by the police, or at least one of them locked themselves in his bathroom for their own protection!
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #47: May 08, 2009 01:07:30 am
      Utter bollocks.Wise,Terry?get real..
      cheshire
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts | -1 
      • GO LIVERPOOL
      Reply #48: May 08, 2009 01:11:51 am
      Agree with REDMAN, load of crap
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #49: May 08, 2009 01:54:14 am
      THE HARDEST EVER RED: VOTE NOW

Jimmy Rice 07 May 2009

Former Reds Julian Dicks, Neil Ruddock, Tommy Smith and Graeme Souness were all named on a list of the hardest ever footballers this week - but who is the ultimate Anfield hard man?
      The www.sportingfix.com top 20 caused quite a stir among fans, with Dennis Wise finishing 13 places above Kop icon Smith.

So, we've come up with 18 contenders among the ranks of our former players and want you to vote for the most fearsome.

As well as the aforementioned bruisers, there's one-time soldier Bruce Grobbelaar, midfield general Steve McMahon and Gerry Byrne, who contested the 1965 Cup final with a broken collarbone.

Click here to cast your vote from the full list>>

Gerry Byrne is indeed at the top of that list and quite rightly so as well, some of today's players like dogbreath and nancy pancy ronaldo can't hold a torch to some of these players, they wouldn't last 5 minutes with Tommy Smith :lmao:

Martin Skrtel?

He'd put everyone who finished above him on his shitlist.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #50: May 08, 2009 08:21:32 am
      Skrtel should instantly be in there for his vicious personality!

He should be on the list now.  He terrifies me just looking at him.

Tommy Smith is the hardest player I've ever seen.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #51: May 08, 2009 09:28:22 am
      Gerry Byrne should be in there for playing practically a full game plus all of extra time with a broken collarbone!! How much f**king harder can you get than that?!

Think there's a difference with some of those players in that list. There's a few select proper hard men and then there's a few dirty players. Being dirty doesn't make you hard. It makes you a coward.
      Thanks for that kenny you echoed my sentiments, in fact Gerry Byrne should not only be in the list he deserves to top it for his outstanding courage in 1965 at Wembley.Best of all Gerry played without resorting to filth like some of those named do.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #52: May 08, 2009 11:41:29 am
      Thanks for that kenny you echoed my sentiments, in fact Gerry Byrne should not only be in the list he deserves to top it for his outstanding courage in 1965 at Wembley.Best of all Gerry played without resorting to filth like some of those named do.
      Gerry was cast in the mould of Big Ron Yeates,Tommy Smith,Graeme Souness all of them were fearless and committed but honesty was a major ingredient of their character,each of them would stand by their actions.
                   Not so with todays prima donnas who feign injury, abuse referees and inflict devious injuries on opponents and its unbelievable how many in this list fit that description.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #53: May 08, 2009 11:41:48 am
      I know he was Blue Sh*te, but what about big Duncan Ferguson!  he was also a bit mental.  didn't 2 people burgle his house when he was actually there and they had to rescued from him by the police, or at least one of them locked themselves in his bathroom for their own protection!
      Yeah mate, but were talking about players here, could you call a fella whod only get fired up playing against us or the mancs that? ;)
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #54: May 08, 2009 11:49:00 am
      Gerry was cast in the mould of Big Ron Yeates,Tommy Smith,Graeme Souness all of them were fearless and committed but honesty was a major ingredient of their character,each of them would stand by their actions.
      well said all of you, a lot of people seem to forget what a real hardman is. Its not about just kicking someone but playing the game hard and fair. Some of these so called hardmen and fannies wouldnt know what to do against a clever fella like Tommy Smith. Theyd go missing after he 'introduced' himself .
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Reply #55: May 08, 2009 11:58:40 am
      Razor Neil Ruddock at 17 are you having a laugh he is a F***ing hard c**t he's harder than keano he'd flatten him. This list is a joke Tommy Smith is number one and Razor number two they were both hard bas**rds as footballers.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #56: May 08, 2009 12:20:53 pm
      Got to mention Blily Bremner here he played for Leeds in the 70's and was F***ing ferocious he wouldn't ever see a full 90 minutes in any game now the same could be said of Tommy Smith et al,thats not a failing on their part but a sign of how the game has got less physical and more girly over the years.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #57: May 08, 2009 09:07:40 pm
      I just know that i could take each and every one of these; Vinnie Jones, Dennis Wise, David Batty, John Terry and Lee Bowyer: one after another and maybe even two at a time.   ;D

They're about as hard as my last sh*te. :angel:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #58: May 08, 2009 09:27:16 pm
      Kenny ye beat me to Gerry Byrne fella. Great shout. Tommy Smith claims Gerry was the hardest he played with.

Another proper hard man is Carra. Walked off the pitch with a broken leg  :o hard as f**k that
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,853 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #59: May 08, 2009 11:21:03 pm
      Yep Gerry Byrne gets my vote too !! Tommy Smith too ,these men never gave quarter and never asked for any ! hard as the Shankly gates these two
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #60: May 09, 2009 12:46:45 am
      Where's Yosser Hughes? He made Sammy Lee sh*t himself :lmao:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #61: May 09, 2009 01:16:05 pm
      Yep Gerry Byrne gets my vote too !! Tommy Smith too ,these men never gave quarter and never asked for any ! hard as the Shankly gates these two
      I got told Tommy Smith donated some of the rivets for the gates from his lunchbox they'd fallen out of his sarnies.
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #62: May 09, 2009 02:39:33 pm
      Roger Hunt isn't on that list? ;D!!
      twobe12
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts |
      Reply #63: May 10, 2009 01:18:08 am
      Spot on DLS, and lets not forget Ron Yeats who would be right up there.
      Oh yes !! I forgot about Ron Yeats... what a giant of a man.. or as the great Bill Shankley described him.. a huge b**tard!! Sorry I cannot spell collosuous !! ;D
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #64: May 10, 2009 09:41:58 am
      well said all of you, a lot of people seem to forget what a real hardman is. Its not about just kicking someone but playing the game hard and fair. Some of these so called hardmen and fannies wouldnt know what to do against a clever fella like Tommy Smith. Theyd go missing after he 'introduced' himself .

Totally agree. There is a world of difference between a hard player and a dirty player. The former will never back down and never say die for their team. Dirty players like Bowyer, Wise, Batty, Barton are just playground bullies. Redo the list!

Quick Reply