Read 5247 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Robbie Keane and Showboating!
      Oct 23, 2008 06:03:01 pm
      http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/10/23/Champs-Lge-Townsend-on-Setanta/

Former Republic of Ireland international Andy Townsend feels Robbie Keane needs to cut out the showboating until he settles properly into life at Liverpool.

The Ireland skipper opened the scoring at Atletico Madrid but spurned a glorious chance to double the lead when attempting an outrageous flick from Steven Gerrard's inviting cross.
      The miss proved costly as Simao Sabrosa rifled in a late leveller for Atletico to leave the fight for top spot in the group still up for grabs.

"Keane doesn't have the pace to stretch teams but it was a great finish," Townsend told Setanta Ireland.
      "It was a wonderful first touch and he was onside from Gerrard's pass because he was pretty much level.
      "Why he was trying to flick that chance though, I don't know.

"He should just go with his right foot and get anything on it, Robbie, the side of your boot or the studs.
      "That's showboating and it's silly.

"Robbie's played how many games and got a couple of goals but none in the league. In five years' time, he might be in a position to try and do that but, at the moment, that is a 'goal' delivery and the type of delivery you can only dream about."

Keane is facing a race against time to be fit for Sunday's big clash with Chelsea but Townsend reckons he should set himself a target this term in front of goal.
      "I think Robbie's got to be looking at around 15 goals," he opined. "It's a good, realistic target over the course of the season."
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ____________

About time someone talked about it. Too many attempts at fancy finishes when straight up putting the ball into the net would have been sufficient.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Robbie Keane and Showboating!
      Reply #1: Oct 23, 2008 06:05:58 pm
      True.

I don't think Rafa will be turning a blind eye to it after last nights golden opportunity.

If he does it again, I expect Gerrard to give him a bollocking!
      scouseuk
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | -3 
      Reply #2: Oct 23, 2008 06:11:43 pm
      should not wait till the next time
      gerrard should of said it last night not
      the next time
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #3: Oct 23, 2008 06:13:10 pm
      I think people are over-reacting to this flick through the legs attempt a little too much.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #4: Oct 23, 2008 06:15:12 pm
      Robbie Keane said it was the wind. I believe him.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Oct 23, 2008 06:19:16 pm
      I think people are over-reacting to this flick through the legs attempt a little too much.

I over react to all show boating when it comes to putting the ball in the net, in all fairness. It's just something that annoys me.

Fair enough, it doesn't matter how anyone puts the ball away. But you make sure it goes in the back of the net before being all fancy.

In my opinion, he can start the tricks when we've got the game won.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #6: Oct 23, 2008 06:22:41 pm

Disagree. He has tried to be fancy in scoring at least 3 other times.
      jimbob
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts |
      Reply #7: Oct 23, 2008 06:26:56 pm
      nice try robbie, we could all see your intent. but at the end of the day you can start doing all that when you've bagged a few. to have scored then would have made the game very difficult for madrid. as my manager used to say " there's a time and place for showing off" he also used to tell me "that was neither the time nor the place jim". we can all moan on and on but its past now, lets just hope he learns from his mistakes and makes amense on sunday. no point slagging him to death as that wont help anybody
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #8: Oct 23, 2008 06:32:45 pm
      I agree with most of this thread.  When I saw what he attempted I just thought 'dickhead'.

There was completely no need for it.  If he had been bagging them in left, right and centre and thought he was invincible it could possibly have excused. 

But like I posted in the match thread, Torres wouldn't have attempted to do that.

I've seen a few occasions where Keane has tried to be a little bit too clever for his own good.  I'm sure that kind of thing won't have gone down well with Benitez at all.  I think he 'won't have recovered' from his injury by Sunday.
      jimbob
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts |
      Reply #9: Oct 23, 2008 06:37:25 pm
      yes it could turn into more than a strain!! why not rest him? give some of the other lads a go whilst torres is out. to be honest could any of them do any worse so far in the league? lets face it he's had 7/8 league starts and nothing so far, i know its a big game on sunday but they all are really.
      I agree with most of this thread.  When I saw what he attempted I just thought 'dickhead'.

There was completely no need for it.  If he had been bagging them in left, right and centre and thought he was invincible it could possibly have excused. 

But like I posted in the match thread, Torres wouldn't have attempted to do that.

I've seen a few occasions where Keane has tried to be a little bit too clever for his own good.  I'm sure that kind of thing won't have gone down well with Benitez at all.  I think he 'won't have recovered' from his injury by Sunday.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #10: Oct 23, 2008 06:38:13 pm
      I think he 'won't have recovered' from his injury by Sunday.

:lmao: Good one JD
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #11: Oct 23, 2008 06:42:36 pm
      I get the feeling he is being made the scapegoat for the game
      jimbob
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts |
      Reply #12: Oct 23, 2008 06:49:59 pm
      not a scapegoat for the game, but very much at fault for not putting us 2 up when he really should have. if he'd let fly from the edge of the area and hit the bar then it would be a bit different, but lets face it he had a guilt edged chance from what, 4 yards out, and fluffed his lines big time. like i said earlier we shouldnt get on his back too much as that helps no one, but he has to realise he cant keep doing that sort of thing. its not the 1st this season, but lets hope its the last
      I get the feeling he is being made the scapegoat for the game
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #13: Oct 23, 2008 07:43:24 pm
      Well I don't think Benitez will stand that he looks like he's already knocked the carthwheel on the head. Either Robbie didn't do it last night or the cameras didn't show it because I didn't see his trademark celebration.

So if Benitez can take that from his game, I'm sure he'll be able to tell him to put the ball in the net and think about the other options later.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #14: Oct 23, 2008 08:06:23 pm
      not a scapegoat for the game, but very much at fault for not putting us 2 up when he really should have. if he'd let fly from the edge of the area and hit the bar then it would be a bit different, but lets face it he had a guilt edged chance from what, 4 yards out, and fluffed his lines big time. like I said earlier we shouldnt get on his back too much as that helps no one, but he has to realise he cant keep doing that sort of thing. its not the 1st this season, but lets hope its the last
      Agreed 100%.
      if he closed his eyes and shoot without looking he should scored.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #15: Oct 23, 2008 08:13:06 pm
      Well I don't think Benitez will stand that he looks like he's already knocked the carthwheel on the head.

Going to have to check that now. 
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #16: Oct 23, 2008 08:21:22 pm
      Well I don't think Benitez will stand that he looks like he's already knocked the carthwheel on the head. Either Robbie didn't do it last night or the cameras didn't show it because I didn't see his trademark celebration.

So if Benitez can take that from his game, I'm sure he'll be able to tell him to put the ball in the net and think about the other options later.

Keane said he was only going to use the cartwheel for "special occasions"??? If he scores against Chelsea in the 89 minute i think we can expect the cartwheel!  :)

He should have stuck the ball in the net. He knows it was a mistake now and i don't expect to see that mistake again.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #17: Oct 23, 2008 08:22:09 pm
      I think he probably has learned.

He might have been able to get away with that sh*t at Spurs - but it matters a bit more now.
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #18: Oct 23, 2008 09:07:32 pm
      Keane was very sheepish in the post match interview and knows he should have finished that Gerrard cross,the reason he tried the back heel flick is because the ball moved so much in the wind that he couldn`t get a proper shot in.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #19: Oct 23, 2008 09:19:53 pm
      Well i have been one of Robbies admirers since he came to us and allways stick up for him ,but saying the wind caused him to do that is utter bollox ,showboating is one thing, just put youre fckin foot through it next time ,goals are what counts not fancy fcking flicks,as you can tell that bit of nonsence right pissed me off ,he might have got away with that at spurs in the carling cup but this is the champions league and there is a hell of a difference.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #20: Oct 23, 2008 09:22:49 pm
      He had a chance. He missed. Everyone misses.

Lets move on and let him grab the winner against Chelsea.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,711 posts | 896 
      Reply #21: Oct 23, 2008 09:28:32 pm
      and babel have already done that in CL!
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #22: Oct 23, 2008 09:36:13 pm
      Keane will know that he should have scored,I`ve never seen him try that before and he`ll probably never do it again.

Quick Reply