Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

The huge Anfield problem

Read 312850 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Re: The huge Anfield problem
      Reply #1702: Oct 10, 2012 10:03:44 pm
      there's no real passion anymore   >:(

I'd say there is plenty of passion Cas, just the wrong type of people going to the games for the wrong reasons.

Sad but I don't see it getting any better anytime soon.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #1703: Oct 10, 2012 10:22:59 pm
      I'd say the biggest issue, is the fact that it's near on impossible to get a group of mates to all go to the game and sit next to each other. If you're spread around the stadium, then some people are just not going to feel comfortable to get songs started around a bunch of people who they don't know and are sitting in silence.

If you're sat with all your mates, you're going to have no problem all getting up together and belting something out. The looks you get when you try get something started is a joke and it does make you feel like a tool, if it's you on your own while everyone else around you just glares at you for having the audacity to chant at a football game.

You'll get some people who are happy to join in with all the chants, but they aren't going to be starting chants throughout the game, especially if they've already tried and just been stared down.

It's disappointing but I really don't know what can be done about it now.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #1704: Oct 10, 2012 10:31:47 pm
      I'd say there is plenty of passion Cas, just the wrong type of people going to the games for the wrong reasons.

Sad but I don't see it getting any better anytime soon.

The passion is too spread out Si to make a difference, that's why it's so good going to away games, you have all the passion in one small area. I loved the days of the standing KOP, there was so much passion then, like you say it's not likely to get any better. Such a sad shame.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #1705: Oct 10, 2012 10:44:49 pm
      I'd say the biggest issue, is the fact that it's near on impossible to get a group of mates to all go to the game and sit next to each other. If you're spread around the stadium, then some people are just not going to feel comfortable to get songs started around a bunch of people who they don't know and are sitting in silence.

If you're sat with all your mates, you're going to have no problem all getting up together and belting something out. The looks you get when you try get something started is a joke and it does make you feel like a tool, if it's you on your own while everyone else around you just glares at you for having the audacity to chant at a football game.

You'll get some people who are happy to join in with all the chants, but they aren't going to be starting chants throughout the game, especially if they've already tried and just been stared down.

It's disappointing but I really don't know what can be done about it now.

If you've all got Members Cards, you can link them together and get seats together.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1706: Oct 10, 2012 10:50:44 pm
      As Cas said, link the cards , and if ye delegate one lad to do the bookings then ye should be sitting close to each other.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #1707: Oct 11, 2012 02:07:23 pm

It's a good point and links into what Cas was saying about the passionate fans being too spread out throughout the ground.

As I was saying the other day the noise was pretty gold where I was for the Udinese game (Kop304) but even up there plenty of people around me were happy to sit and do nothing and that included singing YNWA before the game.

Had a chuckle when one young lad who had been singing virtually all game with his mate shouted at the Centenary direction "Sing you f**kers, you're not watching the telly now"  :D
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #1708: Oct 11, 2012 07:02:25 pm
      I'm going up to Liverpool a couple of times over the next month or two. Tbh the times I've been previously to Anfield the atmosphere was worse than when I go to Charlton games. Though I do tend to create my own atmosphere at Charlton games :P
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1709: Oct 11, 2012 07:05:16 pm
      I'm going up to Liverpool a couple of times over the next month or two. Tbh the times I've been previously to Anfield the atmosphere was worse than when I go to Charlton games. Though I do tend to create my own atmosphere at Charlton games :P

The pies are that bad?

;)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #1710: Oct 11, 2012 07:18:04 pm
      Club expectations have been lowered and so has the atmosphere at Anfield.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #1711: Oct 11, 2012 07:18:05 pm
      The pies are actually really nice there! Refs are usually a load of sh*te though. In my opinion anyway, and I do like to voice my opinion.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1712: Oct 11, 2012 07:25:54 pm
      Club expectations have been lowered and so has the atmosphere at Anfield.

It's been the same for years, so not sure what you mean?

Was Moores trying to lower expectations?

It's more a symptom of how the game has gone imo, pricey, no standing and inertia.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #1713: Oct 11, 2012 07:48:29 pm
      Bad atmosphere at matches in the whole of the Premier League, especially for big clubs, and even for the big two in Scotland.

It's a problem for most clubs but just seems so much worse at Anfield because it is famed for it's atmosphere of old. I took my mate to the Birmingham game at home in 2009 for his first game and he said he was massively disappointed then.

And that was under Rafa and a Monday night so hardly can be blamed on purely day trippers.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #1714: Oct 16, 2012 06:13:38 pm
      Keep the middle blocks of the Kop for ST holders and members with high previous history, do the same in the Annie Road end. If theres any left over for the "smaller" clubs open it up slightly.

You should be promoted to the Kop, its the KOP END for fucks sake not some place where you go and play on your phone for 80 minutes (and leave 10 before the end). All them types should, if not banned for life should be stuck up in the top rows of the Centenary.

Another thing, why the hell are the Thomas Cook brigade given the wings of the old Kemlyn? Its embarrasing, they take 10 minutes to re find their seats after stuffing their corporate like faces after half time, looks awful! Again, sling them up in the Centenary or something!

Rant over...for now!
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #1715: Oct 16, 2012 07:13:51 pm
      At least its better than Wembley. The soft fuckers next to me at the England game only sat in their seats for 10 mins then they all went off for a pint and watched the game on the telly inside the stand. Really pisses me off.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1716: Oct 16, 2012 07:49:30 pm
      There was a time teams were bet coming down the tunnell to be met by a cauldron of noise. Songs other then YNWA being sang loudly, players names being chanted and sung, away fans drowned out.

Theres none of that now. Away fans dominate most of the 90 minutes. YNWA gets sung at kick off but rarely in the 88th minute like it used to be, sure how many have gone home by the 88th minute!!

That Anfield is all but dead. The question is can it ever be resurrected?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #1717: Oct 16, 2012 08:19:28 pm
      Keep the middle blocks of the Kop for ST holders and members with high previous history, do the same in the Annie Road end. If theres any left over for the "smaller" clubs open it up slightly.

You should be promoted to the Kop, its the KOP END for fucks sake not some place where you go and play on your phone for 80 minutes (and leave 10 before the end). All them types should, if not banned for life should be stuck up in the top rows of the Centenary.

Another thing, why the hell are the Thomas Cook brigade given the wings of the old Kemlyn? Its embarrasing, they take 10 minutes to re find their seats after stuffing their corporate like faces after half time, looks awful! Again, sling them up in the Centenary or something!

Rant over...for now!

Good rant and fully justified there Kelv, it should be an honour to sit on the Kop and part of the criteria should be that you HAVE to sing, surely to god if you follow Liverpool then you'd know all the words to YNWA, it saddens me to see a large number of people not even attempting to sing it, years ago before the team kicked off virtually every player was sung to individually as they warmed up in front of the Kop, that must have given them a huge boost, now there's no time, as YNWA is played as the lads come onto the pitch and then it's kick off time  :(
      Such a shame, unfortunately we'll never get Anfield back the way it was - standing kop, no mobile phones, teams scared of us, the only time you get a shiver down the spine now is when you get a big European night/semi final game etc.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #1718: Oct 16, 2012 09:40:20 pm
      Only been the one game so far this season and that was the City game. Have to say the atmosphere was fookin brilliant that day with all four ends of the ground in good voice.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #1719: Oct 16, 2012 09:43:12 pm
      Only been the one game so far this season and that was the City game. Have to say the atmosphere was fookin brilliant that day with all four ends of the ground in good voice.

First home game of the season - usually a good one and with us playing the Champions it was always going to be a good atmosphere, just a pity we didnt win.  :(
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #1720: Oct 16, 2012 09:51:58 pm
      First home game of the season - usually a good one and with us playing the Champions it was always going to be a good atmosphere, just a pity we didnt win.  :(

Yeah just glad i got to go altho i had a smash on the M6 on the way up and nearly didn't make it! I prefer the away days meself these days. Get to stand up all game, sing all game and the fans are pretty hardcore.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #1721: Oct 16, 2012 10:44:18 pm
      Yeah just glad i got to go altho i had a smash on the M6 on the way up and nearly didn't make it! I prefer the away days meself these days. Get to stand up all game, sing all game and the fans are pretty hardcore.

I'd love to go to more away games, but getting tickets is so bloody hard  :(

My last away game was Stoke in the League Cup when we won 2-0 and Suarez got both goals last season, what a boss night that was  :scarf:
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #1722: Oct 17, 2012 12:01:59 am
      Good rant and fully justified there Kelv, it should be an honour to sit on the Kop and part of the criteria should be that you HAVE to sing, surely to god if you follow Liverpool then you'd know all the words to YNWA, it saddens me to see a large number of people not even attempting to sing it, years ago before the team kicked off virtually every player was sung to individually as they warmed up in front of the Kop, that must have given them a huge boost, now there's no time, as YNWA is played as the lads come onto the pitch and then it's kick off time  :(
      Such a shame, unfortunately we'll never get Anfield back the way it was - standing kop, no mobile phones, teams scared of us, the only time you get a shiver down the spine now is when you get a big European night/semi final game etc.

Going to Liverpool, getting tickets and watching a match in the KOP is tops on my bucket list. Too me its amazing that some people dont know how lucky they are to watch those matches at Anfield.  The history is just beyond any other park in England. It is the Mecca for every foreign Reds supporter. Since I was 11 years old, I dreamed of going and sitting in the KOP. I have been waiting for that moment for 30 years. I guarantee you that no one sitting next to me is going to ruin it by talking on a cell phone or updating his f***in' Facebook page. I wouldn't dare disrespect it by talking on my phone or reading email or even sitting. I cant imagine not singing and standing for all 90 minutes and this sh*t about people who "Leave early"??  What? 

I actually want to stay as long as I could when its over. I will literally be the last one out the door. For me it would be the end of a long awaited moment. Too just stand their alone, in an empty KOP and look at the pitch and the empty stands and smell the field. To me I could die right then and have no regrets. Then with no one around I would actually try and grab a piece of dirt or grass on my way out and probably get arrested, but totally worth it!
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #1723: Oct 17, 2012 10:45:10 am
      Going to Liverpool, getting tickets and watching a match in the KOP is tops on my bucket list. Too me its amazing that some people dont know how lucky they are to watch those matches at Anfield.  The history is just beyond any other park in England. It is the Mecca for every foreign Reds supporter. Since I was 11 years old, I dreamed of going and sitting in the KOP. I have been waiting for that moment for 30 years. I guarantee you that no one sitting next to me is going to ruin it by talking on a cell phone or updating his f***in' Facebook page. I wouldn't dare disrespect it by talking on my phone or reading email or even sitting. I cant imagine not singing and standing for all 90 minutes and this sh*t about people who "Leave early"??  What? 

I actually want to stay as long as I could when its over. I will literally be the last one out the door. For me it would be the end of a long awaited moment. Too just stand their alone, in an empty KOP and look at the pitch and the empty stands and smell the field. To me I could die right then and have no regrets. Then with no one around I would actually try and grab a piece of dirt or grass on my way out and probably get arrested, but totally worth it!
      Agreed with all this wholeheartedly. My life is incomplete If I don't visit to Liverpool and Anfield. Someday I will be at the Kop singing You'll never walk alone with tears of joy flowing through my eyes. :)
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #1724: Oct 17, 2012 10:53:02 am
      For anyone interested there is General Sale tickets available for the Swansea Cup game and the Anzhi game

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/tickets/latest-ticket-news

Quick Reply